• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MGSV The Phantom Pain - One Year Later

Dremark

Banned
You can now experience the disappointing story in definitive form.

Why oh why did Big Boss go heel? Who knows!?

They already set that up in Peace Walker and to a lesser extent MGS5. They baited and switched people with MGS5's marketing, but if you played the other games it was already shown why.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
It's an open world Chaos Theory.

Minus the good music of Chaos Theory or the likeable banter.

Plus the MGS goofiness and an annoying fulton base building mechanic.

So it's a pretty good game. I would rank it below MGS1,2, and 3, but above MGS4 and Peace Walker. And its better than most games this gen (and last gen since its on PS3/360).

"Best gameplay" says the thread about a game that makes you wait twenty-four real-life hours for an upgrade.

Yea the upgrading was very unnecessary. I don't remember it being that bad in Peace Walker.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
My goodness has it been a year already? I remember being very hyped for MGSV and must have watched the trailers dozens of times.

I loved the game for the first few hours but the longer I played the worse the game got in terms of unlock times and mother base nonsense.

The open world wasn't necessary and a lot of fluff could have been trimmed out for a tighter, more focused experience.

No time like the present. It provides a plethora of tweaks for gameplay, such as a Subsistence mode which allows for OSP options customization. Free Roam is spiced up quite a bit with Skulls encounters, chopper and armored vehicle patrols, so on. It has so much to offer. The mod gets better and better with every update.

Well shit, is it worth buying on PC after playing over hundred of hours on PS4?

Really great game but full of issues. Copy-paste map got disappointing, up until the very end none of the bases lived up to anything from the other games in terms of attention to design. Episodic feeling was a wonderful idea, but the story didn't really go anywhere and felt both half baked and unnecessary. Gameplay was spot-on - even when feeling let down by the story I was digging the play aspect - but the lack of boss fights was disappointing and a couple missions were horribly designed.

Both GZ and TPP had excellent music choices for their thematic songs. Here's To You and The Man Who Sold the World are such unique, characteristic picks.

Zambatoh

Oh man. Has it been that long? It feels like yesterday when the game launched and I was eagerly waiting for Steam to finish downloading it just so I could get a quick start on the opening prologue before I went to bed.

I still have it on my Hard Drive. It never left.

Tagyhag

Finish the game first then install the mod. Experience the game vanilla and then once you finish it, then install the mod. It's fantastic, you get bonus camera tools for great screenshots, you can have enemies free from, vehicles and tanks in free roam on patrol, random enemy AI alert phases, OSP for any mission, helicopters flying around in Mother Base coming and going, etc. It's excellent.

No time like the present. It provides a plethora of tweaks for gameplay, such as a Subsistence mode which allows for OSP options customization. Free Roam is spiced up quite a bit with Skulls encounters, chopper and armored vehicle patrols, so on. It has so much to offer. The mod gets better and better with every update.

That sounds great, I'll definitely beat the game first before trying it out, will give me another excuse for a second playthrough.

Also, I'm glad it's customizable because fuck random Skulls encounters.

Been playing this game almost everyday since its release. Logged in 600 hours of gameplay. Even with its faults, I love the game wholly.

evjvh.gif

Traxtech

Loved this game to pieces!

I know this might sound stupid, but i kind of wish there were more cutscenes.. was a bit let down by that, but i do know a lot of people hated the long cutscenes from previous MGS's. so eh

Ishida

Banned
Still the biggest disappointment in all of my gaming life. No other game comes even close.

The only Metal Gear game I will never play again. That dumbass plot twist and the boring plot will forever keep me away.

Sadly, I'm a sucker for canon so I can't even ignore it exists. Damn.

bounchfx

absolutely loved the gameplay, could have done without the open world and 90% of the game looking the same (at least within the first 40 hours..)

also coulda done without the game being 5x longer than it needed to be.

everything else was on point

sappyday

Loved this game to pieces!

I know this might sound stupid, but i kind of wish there were more cutscenes.. was a bit let down by that, but i do know a lot of people hated the long cutscenes from previous MGS's. so eh
I'm pretty sure everyone shares this sentiment.

I wish if one thing got cut it was Quiet. The worst character in Metal Gear.

It's the Final Fantasy 12 of the Metal Gear Series-

A gameplay-above-all marathon of quality content in a remarkably immersive and believable world.

Snubbed and criticized by lesser-minded children who expected more handholding, more cutscenes and a totally deep and profound storyline like the other entries. They drew the line and gave up early in frustration and disgust when the nuanced gameplay dared to try and get them to use their fucking brains.

Low-key the best in the series by a landslide.

Grisby

What's MGO like now? Still a healthy amount of players on PS4? Make any good changes?
Been playing this game almost everyday since its release. Logged in 600 hours of gameplay. Even with its faults, I love the game wholly.
Good one Boss.

A very, very good game that-

I'm gonna say it...

Actually, really, seriously, non-ironically could have been the greatest game of all time. I'm not even joking, the ambition was just amazing. Incomplete or not, games this ambitious and risky get made less and less these days.
I agree. If the story (and characters) was as good as Snake Eater, and all the Mother Base junk was better/omitted. Cause I think MGS3 is one of the GOATS and V had tremendous potential to be an even better game overall.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Still the biggest disappointment in all of my gaming life. No other game comes even close.

The only Metal Gear game I will never play again. That dumbass plot twist and the boring plot will forever keep me away.

Sadly, I'm a sucker for canon so I can't even ignore it exists. Damn.

i feel the same way about mgs4 :(

Sakujou

Banned
I've never simultaneously enjoyed and been so disappointed by a game this much. Gameplay is 10/10, Snake has never handled so well. It's a shame we got spoiled on what little story there was by all of the marketing material. #FucKojima.
changed it a bit.

ramyeon

Loved it. Had so much fun with this game and it was such a joy to play. It felt good to play too, never felt like I was limited by the controls and it was all just so smooth and fluid. Also that soundtrack.

The story stuff people complain about actually didn't bother me that much, I enjoyed what was there but more important to me was the gameplay and it delivered in that respect in so many ways.

Toparaman

Banned
Up there with Resident Evil 4 for me as one of the most incredible games I've played.

But unlike RE4, there are some aspects of MGSV that make me think "if only". If only it took half the time to complete the game, so the story wouldn't be spread so thin, and so I could conceivably replay the game at some point. If only upgrades were made available to you as soon as you purchased them, rather than having to wait real world time for the upgrades to be developed.

But taken as a whole package, this game is a masterpiece of third-person sandbox action. I'm glad you made this thread, OP, because this game's anniversary deserves to be commemorated.

Only things I disliked were the animal collection and what I felt was a lack of variety in side ops. There wasn't much new ground left to tread in Kojima's canon so I appreciated what it tried to do.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
Picked it up at the start of the year and has been the best game so far I've played this year. Such great gameplay. Sure, there are some pretty bad parts of the game but the good parts really outshine them brightly.

KarmaCow

The first the thing that comes to mind when thinking about this game is wasted potential. The game just feels good to play and has a lot of depth in terms of mechanics interacting with each other but the missions themselves feel lifeless for the most part. In contrast to the mechanics the missions feels like a collection of ideas, some great but mostly mediocre situations that barely feel connected to each other. Over time I have grown to appreciate what is there more and I do want revisit the game again but only for a few missions like penultimate mission or mission 13.

Robot Pants

A very, very good game that-

I'm gonna say it...

Actually, really, seriously, non-ironically could have been the greatest game of all time. I'm not even joking, the ambition was just amazing. Incomplete or not, games this ambitious and risky get made less and less these days.
Yea I fell for the misleading trailers too. I honestly thought it COULD have been the greatest game, if even the greatest MGS game ever, but... Kojima.....

luka

Loves Robotech S1
What a garbage fucking character, ugh, he was so so awful.

im just going to quote myself from an older thread

huey's entire character arc was wonderfully done. the best part about it is that you never actually learn the truth about anything. his web of deceit is so strong that it's impossible to tell what was coincidental and what he's actually guilty of, besides being a pathological liar and a self-serving coward. he's one of the most convincingly horrible characters i've seen in a videogame, and that's great.

Give this game a mission editor and a map editor and it will easily be one of the best games of the decade.

As it stands, stealth gets old due to the lack of good areas to infiltrate, game doesn't have the legs for constant play as a sandbox game. Mother Base is just as shallow as Peace Walker, which is pretty bad considering that was a portable game.

Story was amazingly horrible, nothing could have fixed that, baring another year or so in the oven to, you know, have more than 1.25 chapters.

Easily THE disappointment of the generation. Doesn't make it bad, but for what the potential was, the hype, the drama, it's just sad that my favorite series went out with a whimper like this.

As good as the gameplay was, the fundamentals of controlling Snake and interacting with the world and NPCs, I don't feel like the game design held up its end of the bargain. It desperately needed some variety in level and mission design. While there are a handful of genuinely excellent missions, they're far outnumbered by the cookie cutter "Snake, we need you to sneak into an open compound and Fulton/destroy a target because something something Cipher" ones.

It feels like such a waste that you never get to put Snake's new controls to the test against a some proper MGS bossfights. Sahelanthropus was decent, but Quiet and Volgin were so disappointing compared to what the series has had to offer in the past. The Skull Unit fights were just chores.

And, yeah, the story's a load of rubbish. I'd love to see what it was meant to be in the original design doc before Kojima dragged his heels for years and Konami called a premature end to it, but as it stands the game is unfinished and completely unsatisfying. I honestly can't think of a game with worse pacing. It starts off strong in the first couple of missions, then nothing of consequence happens from like mission 3 to mission 27, then everything is shoved into the final three or four missions of Chapter 1. And Chapter 2 is just a drawn out montage of Liquid making sly faces in the background of innocuous scenes before it all ends, apropos of nothing, with a stupid twist explaining an obscure plot point nobody ever thought about twice.

Just dumb decisions in storytelling, too. Why are there two viral outbreaks on Mother Base? Why doesn't Mission 43 happen during the first outbreak, while Skull Face is still a threat, so it can actually create some stakes and some ill will toward the game's main villain? Instead it's just thrown in out of nowhere in Chapter 2, when the main threat of the game is over and done with. And I don't know when Kojima decided that the radio play was the greatest form of storytelling, but if I ever hear another Cassette Tape it'll be too soon. At first I thought the shorter cutscenes meant Kojima had learnt to be more succinct, but instead he just put all that MGS4-style waffling in audio-only form.

Ugh, what a thing. I can't help but both love and hate it. I put 80 hours into it last year, and I still fully intend to go back and S-Rank all the missions to get the Platinum, but at the same time it's so disappointing in so many ways. Those trailers were a masterclass in misrepresenting a product.

Jimrpg

This game is $17.79 in Indonesian Rupees and $56.42 in Malaysian Ringgit according to Steamdb.info. What kind of bullshit is this? Other countries that are still at their launch price include, Thailand, Phillipines, Japan.

Seems they left some countries out when they reduced the base price from US$60 to US$40. Fix it Konami!

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
Probably the best disappointment I've ever played this generation.

I really dislike how messy the story was and how empty the free-roaming aspects (especially MB) ended up compared to what we saw in the demos. Yet, I'd be a liar if I said that it didn't have the best military-stealth gameplay I've seen from a game yet.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
It's the Final Fantasy 12 of the Metal Gear Series-

A gameplay-above-all marathon of quality content in a remarkably immersive and believable world.

Snubbed and criticized by lesser-minded children who expected more handholding, more cutscenes and a totally deep and profound storyline like the other entries. They drew the line and gave up early in frustration and disgust when the nuanced gameplay dared to try and get them to use their fucking brains.

Low-key the best in the series by a landslide.

The MGS1 and MGS2 VR missions require more brain usage than anything in MGSV.

The intro is the definition of handholding. It's the worst tutorial in the series. So I'm not sure I understand your post.

ref

I was disappointed.

The story was the weakest in my opinion of the entire series, I didn't care about any of the supporting cast outside Miller.

Ocelot was Troy Baker and no longer Ocelot for me, Quiet was incredibly dull, Skull Face wasn't a very interesting villain at all, and Code Talker was wolbachia.

I just couldn't really get into it, I tried really hard. It ends on an incredibly unsatisfying note, leaves lots of questions and it's obvious there was more planned but never made it in.

The core mechanics are really great, it's just the staple of MGS games have always been the story and they really dropped the ball here.

Ground Zeroes was really good, I wish they stuck with more interesting/fleshed out smaller environments vs an open world that became uninteresting in a few hours.

I agree. If the story (and characters) was as good as Snake Eater, and all the Mother Base junk was better/omitted.
Made better would be optimal but it also could of just been deemphasized.

Ever since release, I still regularly see posts talking about how important upgrades are, how they feel they have to fulton everyone, and how scared they are of resources being stolen, and yet in actual application of the game's challenge or progression, those things are very minor. You can easily skip most of the upgrades and progress the game just fine -- if anything the game would likely be better by the way of challenge. You can also kill most of the people you come across, and that also really doesn't change the game that much.

I'm not sure if it's just the sort of completionist/collectathon nature of gamers, or mostly the game's presentation -- likely a mix -- but the management and upgrade stuff in MGS V is really most just there for RPG fun and 'dings', or there for story and setting 'flavour.'

It's actual importance is overstated, to the extent I think detracted and even distracted from the core gameplay (people to focused on trying to 'ding' X instead of just doing whatever they purely and creatively thought was fun).

I actually replay the game, or just missions, regularly now purposefully with as few upgrades as possible (and the HUD, Markers, etc turned off) because it's a much more challenging and satisfying action-infiltration game that way imo.

I love the Mother Base stuff too... love my Diamond Dogs... but in a story sense. Whether I have X unlocked or Y level isn't really a part of it.

I'm not sure how to deemphasize it since the story doesn't really do it that much... I think it's just the sort of menu of upgrades. Gamers see all those upgrade trees, and collectatitis kicks in. Maybe fewer (but more meaningful, aesthetically unique) upgrades; less 'screen time' of upgrades and development; fewer fultons -- just whatever that makes the player spend less time thinking about what level their research platform is or more time thinking about how they're going to use a cardboard box box to sneak into guardpost.

I thought Peace Walker had for the most part a better Mother Base in a user interface and systems sense... better upgrade 'screen time' and better side systems too (e.g. deployments).

Gator86

The best gameplay of series.

Some of the best gameplay of any series. Maybe the best stealth gameplay ever. MGS1 and 3 were anomalies - Metal Gear has no coherent story. It's shit. Just sit back and enjoy some of the most refined sneaking and shenanigans in gaming and try not to turn your brain off because there is no reason for it to waste the energy trying to process anything you're seeing.

CaptNink

Never played any of the MGS games before, but my friend bought this for me with the promise that I would love it.

One of the best games I have ever played. I love it!

J.EM1

I respectfully and strongly disagree. Play Ground Zeroes on a good display with a good sound system / headphones. It's phenomenal playing the main mission.
Indeed. The Paz mission just nails it in terms of atmosphere, cinematography, narration... always get that sense of urgency.

Jabba

Banned
I've been playing it a ton lately. Hmmm..... since it runs at a silky 60fps, I'm wondering if the game could possibly translate well to VR.

Top Bottom