• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Michael Knowland (Lead Character Artist) leaves Naughty Dog

This is starting to get friggin ridiculous!

They REALLY need to do something to stem the tide of these departures over there.

They've been hemorrhaging personnel at ND for months now.

It feels like they lose someone every week.

This is starting to get friggin ridiculous!

They REALLY need to do something to stem the tide of these departures over there.

They've been hemorrhaging personnel at ND for months now.

It feels like they lose someone every week.

Do you think we get a thread every time they hire or promote someone?

David___

Banned
I love how the Sony defence force get their panties in a twist when the speculation of a top studios future turns negative. Yet they are the same ones to write doom and gloom posts when Microsoft employees are in a similar spotlight.

I'm sure you have non disputable evidence to these claims, right?

Lots of people refute rumors on Twitter. Especially when friends are being attacked. It's not like typing up those 140 characters requires a lot of time and effort.

Well seemingly typing those 140 characters isn't worth it in this case. Again it's just entertaining some random forum dwellers... not even worth picking up a phone for that.

Still, if ND had any kind of worthwhile workplace culture, they've already groomed enough replacement talent to replace the senior positions.

A_Gorilla

Banned
I love how the Sony defence force get their panties in a twist when the speculation of a top studios future turns negative. Yet they are the same ones to write doom and gloom posts when Microsoft employees are in a similar spotlight.

People have been banned for less here son...

Ishan

amy henning and some of the others were more noteworthy departures. I think for thisone it was jsut a case of him moving onto things he is more interested in. Bioshock infinite/ tlou give more creative freedom than something like uncharted (which is what the majority of nd is working on now). Thats my two cents on this one.

Lewpy

Banned
People have been banned for less here son...

Would seem a little excessive if that's the case. I'm merely stating the tone of the thread. Bear in mind I did not point fingers, the fact that 3 separate people have chimed in on a seemingly off the cuff comment tells me people are a little touchy about this topic.

Business

Would seem a little excessive if that's the case. I'm merely stating the tone of the thread. Bear in mind I did not point fingers, the fact that 3 separate people have chimed in on a seemingly off the cuff comment tells me people are a little touchy about this topic.

Your previous post reeks console wars bullshit. You should be able to say who is this people you talk about and when did they do these posts or you contribute nothing to the thread and basically just shit it.

SaucyJack

Do you think we get a thread every time they hire or promote someone?

Indeed. Finding this whole thread bizarre to be honest.

An average company has a staff turnover circa 15% which, for a company the size of naughty dog, would see somebody leave a little more frequently than once a fortnight. The gaming industry typically has higher than average staff turnover.

It should be no surprise that someone leaves ND every few weeks.

A_Gorilla

Banned

No, we just don't like it when people come in here and think this is GameFAQS.

Saying stupid fanboy terms like that along with "Xbot" or "Nintendrone" usually gets you a one way banhammer.

Can you post some links to these folks?

He's not gonna post shit. It's the same baseless, jump-to-conclusion attitude that leads people to think there is actually something beyond the 'business as usual' activity at any large studio like Naughty Dog with natural employee staffing and contraction. Trust me, if this were happening at EAD Tokyo or 343, I'd be making the same remarks to the same uninformed posts.

Lewpy

Banned
He's not gonna post shit. It's the same baseless, jump-to-conclusion attitude that leads people to think there is actually something beyond the 'business as usual' activity at any large studio like Naughty Dog with natural employee staffing and contraction. Trust me, if this were happening at EAD Tokyo or 343, I'd be making the same remarks to the same uninformed posts.

If you care to read...I've already stated that I wasn't singling out any single person, I don't need to trawl through hundreds of posts to give you an example of my statement, it's just an observation I've made on the general tone and direction of these threads. I never stated or even indicated that I thought there were negative connotations associated with ND employees leaving.

My point (although I should have made it clearer, and would have had I known how upset indivuals would get) is that whenever any negative assumptions are made about anything related to Sony or their affliates, there is generally a barrage of posters eager to shut them down, even though they equally have no basis to do so. The fact that there are a number of you now who seem to have taken an offence to a comment that was directed in a general manner, pretty much confirms this. Yet we need to threat banning in the TITLE of the MS ET documentary thread, because people can't help themselves.

As someone has already pointed out, this no longer adds anything to the topic of this thread, so from my perspective I have said all I will on my (admittedly) context lacking comment. Feel free to punch yourselves out with any further responses.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch

Wow, and you're now holding grudges over this.

All the other people who have left immediately announced they were leaving to go somewhere else. Hennig was just gone one day. Weeks later she announced she was hired on by the Star Wars team.

But they didn't say why they were leaving. Truth is, in most cases, we don't know why developers leave and they don't feel the need to post why they left, because some people on the internet want to know more.

Look no further than the whole famousmortimer fiasco. Had he not started some crazy rumors about it, we would have never known the Driveclub guy left because of his kid.

I don't think it's fair to simply assume all is right and well at ND, but it's also not fair to look at everything as if everything is part of some nefarious plotline.

Are there issues at ND? Frankly, we don't know, but we can infer that there were some issues at the highest level of management with Amy Hennig, which means that the influences of that problem, will rationally extend to ND employees who's probably close to Amy, or have suffered some setbacks because of said situation. (team Uncharted)

But the last 2 departures, Wells and Knowland, were departures that would be kind of a left-field to associate with the so-called trouble at ND. Heck, they've only joined for a short few years, and were not in the same team anyway as they've been solely working on TLoU.

For what it's worth, I don't see any indication that other leads from the Uncharted team like Josh Scherr, Kurt Merganau, Jeremy Yates or Taylor Kurosaki leaving. Those departures would be also extremely huge, as 3 of said UC4 leads are also ND veterans who's been there for more than 10 years.

Wereroku

If you care to read...I've already stated that I wasn't singling out any single person, I don't need to trawl through hundreds of posts to give you an example of my statement, it's just an observation I've made on the general tone and direction of these threads. I never stated or even indicated that I thought there were negative connotations associated with ND employees leaving.

My point (although I should have made it clearer, and would have had I known how upset indivuals would get) is that whenever any negative assumptions are made about anything related to Sony or their affliates, there is generally a barrage of posters eager to shut them down, even though they equally have no basis to do so. The fact that there are a number of you now who seem to have taken an offence to a comment that was directed in a general manner, pretty much confirms this. Yet we need to threat banning in the TITLE of the MS ET documentary thread, because people can't help themselves.

As someone has already pointed out, this no longer adds anything to the topic of this thread, so from my perspective I have said all I will on my (admittedly) context lacking comment. Feel free to punch yourselves out with any further responses.

So basically you have nothing to back up your statement and everything was being sourced straight from your ass. Really if you are going to accuse people of being hypocritical at least take the time to back it up. The ET thing was a little ridiculous but that had more to do with the stupid XBO jokes then a general negative attitude. I realize Microsoft is getting a hard time currently but the same happened in 06 with the ps3 there is no defense force just people making fun of a company that is struggling and made some stupid decisions. I am sure it feels like you are being singled out because you enjoy the XBO but really don't get upset on behalf of a company. There is value in the XBO for you and so enjoy it and ignore the jokes.

reKon

Banned
I've said it before and I'll say it again - SCEWWS is clearly fucked. We have a mass exodus of top talent and there are no PS4 games to show for it. Obviously as a gaming fan and consumer this worries me especially since I have invested in one of Sony's consoles on the promise that it would be gaming machine first and foremost. However, how the hell can this happen when all the top talent and major players have all departed, including Jack Tretton? You would have thought they would have done everything to actually retain someone like Tretton who has done everything right for SCEA.

Ugh posts like these. Is this really going to continue up until E3?

teiresias

Wow! Pulling out both the SDF line and the "they said this but then said this" line all in one post. I hope you're ready to provide specific examples.

A_Gorilla

Banned

Keep digging yourself deeper with passive-aggressive insults. That's really gonna help.

I don't need to trawl through hundreds of posts to give you an example of my statement,

Unless a mod says you do.

Top Bottom