• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Michel Ancel teasing a new game on Instagram

E-phonk

Banned
I find it weird that BG&E2 being an NX exclusive for launch was one of the earliest rumors we heard this year and somehow it keeps popping up.

Knowing that the chances of having a ubisoft leak is significantly higher than a nintendo leak, I don't think it's that weird.
It's also the kind of game that always felt very nintendo-like, unlike bayonetta for example (although I do think there will be a bayo 3 during nx lifetime)

Zojirushi

Hm this is gonna be Mirror's Edge Catalyst situation where they're gonna release a trailer soon and then we'll hear nothing for an eternity.

KingBroly

Banned
Knowing that the chances of having a ubisoft leak is significantly higher than a nintendo leak, I don't think it's that weird

I mean, it's just that BG&E2 is vaporware. I forget when the first trailer of it was shown, but it was a LONG time ago.

Gothos

Why are you guys surprised it's Beyond 2? We know it's still in production. Question is, is this really NX exclusive?

killercow

Why are you guys surprised it's Beyond 2? We know it's still in production. Question is, is this really NX exclusive?

Knowing and seeing are two different things. We've known about it since 2009 but we haven't seen anything since that leaked "trailer".

E-phonk

Banned
I mean, it's just that BG&E2 is vaporware. I forget when the first trailer of it was shown, but it was a LONG time ago.

Ancel hinted several times that the game was still in development.
The original rumour article btw:
https://www.destructoid.com/rumor-nintendo-funding-beyond-good-and-evil-sequel-346059.phtml

Knowing and seeing are two different things. We've known about it since 2009 but we haven't seen anything since that leaked "trailer".

We did, a trailer was once shown at a ubi E3 conference (2008) and there was a leaked trailer in 2010 i think
2008: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkCXE1l5MVI
2010: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4ZMQfY4674

Also, ancel reconfirmed it's in development earlier this year when he is discussing the first game with schafer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bk4WUWwIshE&feature=youtu.be&t=4032

Calm Mind

What are they doing? Nintendos Ninjas about to take over France and all of Ubisoft lol

Donkey_kong.png

They'll send a gorilla. Frogs won't give him the slip.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
Oooohh! Curious (if this pans out) if anything from the two previous trailers is still in there or not.

killercow

SgtCobra

After all those years of development and money that has been sunk into it? Nintendo must have paid a lot to secure that game then.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
stop calling for NX exclusivity, that would doom it to failure. all the more so at launch.

So you rather would have it not existing at all than it being a NX game financially backed by Nintendo with minimal risk for Ubisoft ?

AniHawk

someone on neogaf in 2005 posted screens from the ps2 version of a super-early bge2. at that point it was one of those wistful 'what could have been' things, since ancel had moved on to 'rayman 4' in the meantime after finishing king kong. the first actual news i remember of bge2 came in 2007 when it was a ps3/360 title. four years later i got the chance to wish ancel luck on the development, and it's been over five years since then.

i can't imagine what it must be like to work on something for so long, and for it to essentially have been stopped and started at least three different times. the only thing that worries me is that it's usually a sign of bad things - out of date ideas and unfinished conclusions to meet that final deadline (duke nukem forever being the poster child for this and why i don't have a lot of faith in the last guardian or final fantasy versus xiii). i just hope that this turns out all right after over a decade of work.

KingBroly

Banned
Ancel hinted several times that the game was still in development.
The original rumour article btw:
https://www.destructoid.com/rumor-nintendo-funding-beyond-good-and-evil-sequel-346059.phtml

We did, a trailer was once shown at a ubi E3 conference (2008) and there was a leaked trailer in 2010 i think
2008: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkCXE1l5MVI
2010: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4ZMQfY4674

Also, ancel reconfirmed it's in development earlier this year when he is discussing the first game with schafer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bk4WUWwIshE&feature=youtu.be&t=4032

Yeah, I know Ancel's hinted at it before. But it's still vaporware at this point. We know nothing about it, what it looks like now, etc. I imagine that the first game will released alongside it as well, wherever it may be, just so people can get that full story.

oti

Banned
So you rather would have it not existing at all than it being a NX game financially backed by Nintendo with minimal risk for Ubisoft ?

Let's just wait until it actually gets announced and we actually know the platforms it's getting releases on, ok? This is not a discussion worth having at this point. It will end in people getting banned lol.

Shep572

Neo Member
Im assuming beyond HD going free on GwG was probably done to raise brand awareness prior to an announcement. Guess it could be incoming soon?

UrbanRats

In case you haven't seen the rumor yet that people are referring to, it's this: https://www.destructoid.com/rumor-nintendo-funding-beyond-good-and-evil-sequel-346059.phtml

EDIT: Looking at that article, it'll be interesting to see if that rumor and the accompanying NX rumor that the same person provided end up being true.

Cool, didn't see that.
Bayonetta 2 was one of the best games this gen, so i'm all for that, if there wasn't any other way to get this game made.

Mendax

even were that to happen it wouldnt sell which would be bad for the studio and worse for the chances on a 3rd game

The game's definitely been worked on in the past:

From a LinkedIn profile (won't post a link here):

Ubisoft Studios Montpellier

Gameplay Programmer

August 2008 – July 2009 (1 year)

Beyond Good & Evil 2: Third person action adventure.

Anyone working on the revived version of the game over the past 1-3(?) years probably won't be posting about it under its actual name though.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
someone on neogaf in 2005 posted screens from the ps2 version of a super-early bge2. at that point it was one of those wistful 'what could have been' things, since ancel had moved on to 'rayman 4' in the meantime after finishing king kong. the first actual news i remember of bge2 came in 2007 when it was a ps3/360 title. four years later i got the chance to wish ancel luck on the development, and it's been over five years since then.

i can't imagine what it must be like to work on something for so long, and for it to essentially have been stopped and started at least three different times. the only thing that worries me is that it's usually a sign of bad things - out of date ideas and unfinished conclusions to meet that final deadline (duke nukem forever being the poster child for this and why i don't have a lot of faith in the last guardian or final fantasy versus xiii). i just hope that this turns out all right after over a decade of work.
There's always the Resident Evil 4 example to hold on to.

Actually having BG&E2 alone would be fantastic, even as a prequel. Being an NX exclusive would be hilarious schadenfreude.

Why does Big Boss have a pig on his back?

Good to know I'm not the only one to notice that. Granted, Big Boss being Jade's dad would explain so, so much if it were possible.

Shiggy

The game's definitely been worked on in the past:

From a LinkedIn profile (won't post a link here):

Anyone working on the revived version of the game over the past 1-3(?) years probably won't be posting about it under its actual name though.

We know that it was worked on for Ps3 and Xbox, but it got shelved in 2009 for Tintin and Rabbids Go Home.

Sadist

even were that to happen it wouldnt sell which would be bad for the studio and worse for the chances on a 3rd game
It didn't sell as a multiplatform game either; if Nintendo would back it, it wouldn't be bad at all for the studio.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt

We are atalking Ancel here, though. I've yet to play a bad game by that team and I am very confident I never will.

Top Bottom