• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft / Activision Deal Approval Watch |OT| (MS/ABK close)

Do you believe the deal will be approved?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Varteras

Gold Member
Both Is Good The Road To El Dorado GIF
Want You Love GIF by NICOLE DADDONA

Godot25

Banned
Oh, I think I misinterpreted your post slightly...but I still largely feel the same about what I posted.

Agree with the Jim Ryan comment, though.
While I get that best way moving forward for Sony would be for this merger to not happen, I really think that they missed huge opportunity to get as much as they can from situation because they were dead set on blocking it.

Chiggs

Gold Member
While I get that best way moving forward for Sony would be for this merger to not happen, I really think that they missed huge opportunity to get as much as they can from situation because they were dead set on blocking it.

Then we're pretty much aligned, actually. Totally agree.

Zok310

Banned
MS closes this deal and they will become Sony's biggest 3rd party publisher lol. just let that sink for a minute.

crazy times.
Failed regulation. How you allowed to buy the pub that ships and makes the most revenue on your direct competitor platform is madness to me.
Worst part is ftc could not make that argument in nearly 2 years. Regulators dropped the ball.

Last edited:

reinking

Gold Member
I don't think they could get much and they know that. Any deals being made now are at best a band aid. I think they were all in because they are aware of how much revenue this is going to cost them in the future regardless of what band aid deal they make now.

Chiggs

Gold Member

When asked if the Commission should be "buoyed" by essentially pushing Microsoft to change its behavior and make these agreements, Kovacic said:

"If I were the FTC, I'd be claiming credit for the changes. I would say that 'if I hadn't been watching, if I hadn't intervened, the concessions would not have been given so directly and clearly.'"

Read more: https://www.tweaktown.com/news/9233...revailed-in-activision-merger-case/index.html

This is spot-on. And imagine had they pressed for more deals rather than just crossing their arms and saying "No!"

If they're severely underfunded and outgunned, they've got to change the strategy.

Last edited:

Godot25

Banned
I don't think they could get much and they know that. Any deals being made now are at best a band aid. I think they were all in because they are aware of how much revenue this is going to cost them in the future regardless of what band aid deal they make now.
So you really want to tell me that extension of marketing agreement that would block day one Call of Duty GamePass releases for several more years would not benefitted Sony?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

They were given the chance to have exclusive marketing for CoD beyond 2024 but Jim refused. They would have had who knows how many years more of exclusively showing CoD at their shows, ads, exclusive hardware bundles etc. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

Solidus_T

Also from what we have seen, many of these deals include a way for Microsoft to back out at any time - so it's best to just fight against the acquisition so they are not in the position to control the biggest 3rd party releases.

reinking

Gold Member
So you really want to tell me that extension of marketing agreement that would block day one Call of Duty GamePass releases for several more years would not benefitted Sony?
First of all, we are not sure they could have blocked it on Game Pass passed the current Activision deal. Second of all, yes, in the long-term, I expect Sony will lose COD or at least have a lesser version than MS. They will lose significant revenue from that. I don't think any deal MS was offering was going to prevent that so Sony went all in. I can be wrong. I just think they had reasons to believe it was all or nothing.

reinking

Gold Member
They were given the chance to have exclusive marketing for CoD beyond 2024 but Jim refused. They would have had who knows how many years more of exclusively showing CoD at their shows, ads, exclusive hardware bundles etc. 🤷‍♂️
Who offered them exclusive marketing passed 2024? What were the details of the offer? As far as I knew MS was only offering the infamous 10-year deal.

MoreJRPG

Suffers from extreme PDS
Common sense prevails. The best decision for gaming as a whole was made today. Walled garden Sony can eat it. Their vision of the future of gaming is locking everyone into a digital only console that you can only buy from them through their Direct store while having the consumer in a choke hold at their mercy of their monopolistic digital storefront.

Maybe Jim Ryan will go back to actually doing something productive.

Last edited:
Common sense prevails. The best decision for gaming as a whole was made today. Walled garden Sony can eat it. Their vision of the future of gaming is locking everyone into a digital only console that you can only buy from them through their Direct store while having the consumer in a choke hold at their mercy of their monopolistic digital storefront.

Should someone tell him

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Who offered them exclusive marketing passed 2024? What were the details of the offer? As far as I knew MS was only offering the infamous 10-year deal.
MS was open to a 10 year COD deal with Sony too. Although it doesn't say if it's an additional 10 years, or if the 10 years includes Sony's current 2 years left. And the invitation was in Dec 2022. So lots of time to iron out a deal. Sony balked at the offer. So they preferred hoping the FTC/CMA would win and MS/Activision trash the acquisition outright.

A long term COD deal would be great since it would go into even PS6 territory. Sony wouldnt have to worry about no COD until PS7.

Microsoft extends offer to Sony for 10-year deal over Call of Duty video game​

DECEMBER 7, 2022 / 2:27 PM / CBS/AP

Microsoft agreed Wednesday to make the hit video game Call of Duty available on rival platform Nintendo for 10 years if its $69 billion purchase of game maker Activision Blizzard goes through. It made a similar offer to rival Sony, which has raised concerns about the Activision purchase.

The blockbuster merger is facing close scrutiny from regulators in the U.S., Europe and elsewhere. Microsoft, maker of the Xbox game console, faces resistance from Sony, which makes the competing PlayStation console and has raised concerns with antitrust watchdogs about losing access to what it calls a "must-have" game title.

Phil Spencer, the head of Xbox, tweeted that Microsoft "entered into a 10-year commitment" to bring Call of Duty to Nintendo.

Open to "10-year deal for PlayStation"​

Microsoft President Brad Smith tweeted his thanks to Nintendo, which makes the Switch game console, saying the same 10-year offer was available for Sony.

"Any day Sony Sony wants to sit down and talk, we'll be happy to hammer out a 10-year deal for PlayStation as well," he said.

Smith said the agreement would bring Call of Duty to more gamers and more platforms, and "that's good for competition and good for consumers."

Last edited:

feynoob

Gold Member

Hmm
718243.jpg

Zok310

Banned
If you think MS owning Call of Duty means that Playstation will fight LESS for exclusivity, you've lost your mind.

In reality Sony likely to triple down on exclusive. 20% of their profits come from SIE and folks think sony themself is going to call up Jim and tell him no more 3rd party deals?
pffft, some of yall need to wake up because its clear as day that we are about to enter a content exclusion war.

drganon

dumb-goat.gif

adamsapple

So, it was Activisition that made the offer? I wonder if MS could break that agreement once they take over? (Honestly asking, not being a smart ass). Like I said, I think Sony felt they had to go all in.

If an offer was made and accepted, and signed, MS would not have any other option but to honor it (see Deathloop, Ghostwire). For a case like Indiana Jones, they would have had to renegotiate with Sony, and I doubt Sony would have said sure why not, take away our marketing.

Last edited:

boblob

Banned
Failed regulation. How you allowed to buy the pub that ships and makes the most revenue on your direct competitor platform is madness to me.
Worst part is ftc could not make that argument in nearly 2 years. Regulators dropped the ball.

Regulators shouldn't care about what's best for Sony, they should care about what's best for gamers.
They don't, which is why they chose to block, but thankfully the courts do, and overruled them.

The acquisition is best for gamers, so should proceed.

Sanepar

In 2 years(since nothing will change on the scope of hw sales this gen) they will say they need EA or T2 to compete, will pay everyone and regulators will allow.

Sanepar

Regulators shouldn't care about what's best for Sony, they should care about what's best for gamers.
They don't, which is why they chose to block, but thankfully the courts do, and overruled them.

Where majority of console players are? Sorry but this argument is so stupid. You are enforcing consumers to move to a new platform if u make 3rd party content exclusive.

feynoob

Gold Member
So, it was Activisition that made the offer? I wonder if MS could break that agreement once they take over? (Honestly asking, not being a smart ass). Like I said, I think Sony felt they had to go all in.
This was both MS and Activision.
They wanted Sony to accept that 10 year COD deal along side the marketing rights.

Ar¢tos

Why would Sony want less games on their platform?

What do these guys smoke?
I think the line of thought is that blocking COD on PlayStation at the moment, with the big gap in install base, would basically kill COD (not remove COD from existing but turning it into a much smaller game) and takeaway a big benefit from the merger for Xbox.

Not gonna happen because COD makes too much money for Sony.

Pipoqueiro

MS was open to a 10 year COD deal with Sony too. Although it doesn't say if it's an additional 10 years, or if the 10 years includes Sony's current 2 years left. And the invitation was in Dec 2022. So lots of time to iron out a deal. Sony balked at the offer. So they preferred hoping the FTC/CMA would win and MS/Activision trash the acquisition outright.

A long term COD deal would be great since it would go into even PS6 territory. Sony wouldnt have to worry about no COD until PS7.

Microsoft extends offer to Sony for 10-year deal over Call of Duty video game​

DECEMBER 7, 2022 / 2:27 PM / CBS/AP

Microsoft agreed Wednesday to make the hit video game Call of Duty available on rival platform Nintendo for 10 years if its $69 billion purchase of game maker Activision Blizzard goes through. It made a similar offer to rival Sony, which has raised concerns about the Activision purchase.

The blockbuster merger is facing close scrutiny from regulators in the U.S., Europe and elsewhere. Microsoft, maker of the Xbox game console, faces resistance from Sony, which makes the competing PlayStation console and has raised concerns with antitrust watchdogs about losing access to what it calls a "must-have" game title.

Phil Spencer, the head of Xbox, tweeted that Microsoft "entered into a 10-year commitment" to bring Call of Duty to Nintendo.

Open to "10-year deal for PlayStation"​

Microsoft President Brad Smith tweeted his thanks to Nintendo, which makes the Switch game console, saying the same 10-year offer was available for Sony.

"Any day Sony Sony wants to sit down and talk, we'll be happy to hammer out a 10-year deal for PlayStation as well," he said.

Smith said the agreement would bring Call of Duty to more gamers and more platforms, and "that's good for competition and good for consumers."
you just forgot to mention that all microtransaction profits, and even game sales, would stay with microsoft;
microsoft move with an absurd offer to pass the image of good

tmlDan

Im convinced these neo members and some regulars are bots at this point, do you all say the same thing? can you not think for yourself?

It's like you copy paste it off twitter and put it everywhere

adamsapple

That applies to being on gamepass. Not on individual platforms. Unless there's a PC version somewhere?

MLB doesn't have PC releases.. MLB AM (advanced Media) publishes both the Switch and Xbox (retail release separate from game pass) as well. Sony does not publish those versions, they only publish the PS4/5 version.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom