• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft / Activision Deal Approval Watch |OT| (MS/ABK close)

Do you believe the deal will be approved?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

• Both Kotick and Corden were coy about the current status of the deal, which is widely regarded to close as soon as this Friday 13, 2023, pending final UK approval.

• While discussing Microsoft, Kotick lauded the firm's resources, cloud server tech, and technological research arm. He also name checked Guitar Hero, strongly hinting that the game could be on the docket for a revival.

I would totally be down for another guitar hero. My only issue is I'm betting they would pull an Overwatch and put very few songs in the base edition and have extra songs behind really expensive DLC. I really hope that isn't the case though, and is just me being pessimistic.

MarkMe2525

How much people want to play it this way with lag and compression is the real question.
People that are close to data centers. It works crazy good in Vegas. I have also been to areas where it is unusable. Truthfully, not many rural users are gonna have a great experience unless it is close to a major population hub.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Fran Healy Friday GIF by Travis

//DEVIL//

How are they going to close this Friday without the CMA approval ? wasn't the whole point of the delay is to get this thing approved by them ?

I thought the deadline was last week. but I was wrong, so when is the deadline ?

Godot25

Banned
How are they going to close this Friday without the CMA approval ? wasn't the whole point of the delay is to get this thing approved by them ?

I thought the deadline was last week. but I was wrong, so when is the deadline ?
Since CMA has taken feedback from third-parties until 6th October, they can currently announce decision any day. But no later then 18th.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Fridays coming

Friday The 13Th Horror GIF

shame Bo won't be around to have a meltdown.
I saw we lost Bo and I have spoken with him several times outside of GAF and he always seemed like a nice enough guy but with that reasoning of his ban we just need that around here

There will be enough meltdowns to go around here and the social mediaverse

200.gif

PaintTinJr

Microsoft are hoping this week otherwise they’ll have to get back into a room with Activision to discuss extensions.
Provided the CMA don't change their mind - in principle - before then, I think ATVI are obligated to continue or would lose the breakup payment for pulling out.

PaintTinJr

Gamepass will need to pull its weight sooner rather than later...

IRS says Microsoft owes an additional $29 billion in back taxes
I wonder if the administration(via DoJ/FTC) would use this as leverage to get Microsoft to pull out of the deal, and give them a lower bill.

Seems odd I was drawing a parallel between the FTC as the Untouchables in this thread a few weeks back, only for the IRS to enter like they did in the Capone case. Are they reading, our essential GAF thread, I wonder?:messenger_grinning:

Last edited:

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
You know...It's hard to admit to your own biases especially when you directly talk smack to people with different biases. I am an hypocrite. I did vote that the deal wouldn't go through just because of my precious Sonybox. I was angry. I was afraid. I beat the consolidation drum for months like an imbecile...and now.

I absolutely want this deal to go through! Because MS after that, will not be able to buy anyone else for a long time...and we've seen Diablo IV, the disastrous looking MWIII, Overwatch 2. Please, by all means! Get them! YES!

No but seriously though, Forza Motorsport slaps (online), Redfall was not a 4/10 in any way, more like a 7 after patches and...

Well Starfield (which is not Acti/Blizz) will get gameplay patches and hopefully the stream of DLC will fix the writing in the new quest lines. I mean if Cyberpunk can do it...

If MS nail Perfect Dark and actually pull the trigger on a new Killer Instinct...I mean I don't give a damn. I'm about to get big monies and that's when PS5 and Series X will enter my world permanently instead of relying on borrowing lol.

PaintTinJr

Only if I was saying this was happening, rather than pondering, hoping someone from the US would give an opinion if the administrations have leveraged tax bills against large US companies.

But I guess it still doesn't rule out, Microsoft considering walking away from the deal if they thought this IRS bill will stick, meaning they are spending $28B more than they considered when they offered on ATVI, and IIRC from about 1000 pages back it was claimed that MSFT had financially gone all in at that buy price, so depending on when the bill would need paid might make the ATVI deal less desirable, but probably not, so not clutching at those straws either - just discussing.

ReBurn

Gold Member
This seems like a massive news story if true... owing almost 30 BILLION in taxes to the IRS after what looks like spending close to 75-80 Billion on Zenimax+ABK
It's not a massive story. It's only noteworthy because of the amount and the current administration's focus on trying to make big business pay to cover government spending. This will drag out in court for a few years until the government makeup changes to favor corporations more than it does now and then it will go away.

Last edited:
If I were the person in charge of making the GamePass decisions I'd dripfeed the COD games at 1 per week, or the normal 2 per bi-weekly drop. Make a thing about it about how people should run through all the old campaigns again.

You should have at least 3 months of something cool every week.

If I were the person in charge of making the GamePass decisions I'd dripfeed the COD games at 1 per week, or the normal 2 per bi-weekly drop. Make a thing about it about how people should run through all the old campaigns again.

If MS thinks they'll get to 100 million subs or whatever their goal is today based on people playing old CoD games, I have some bridges to sell them. Cheap.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Yeah, it wouldn't make sense to drop 50 games at once, they have enough of a backlog to add a couple of games each month and have a good consistent stream.

Also, not to sound like a broken record again, but I REALLY fucking hope they have someone working on adding more backward compatible games.

If MS thinks they'll get to 100 million subs or whatever their goal is today based on people playing old CoD games, I have some bridges to sell them. Cheap.
Bro I'm talking about a fun little event where they can invite both old-heads and newcomers (myself being one) to run through all the old memories.

No need to shit all over it over plastic box wars.

Yeah, it wouldn't make sense to drop 50 games at once, they have enough of a backlog to add a couple of games each month and have a good consistent stream.

Also, not to sound like a broken record again, but I REALLY fucking hope they have someone working on adding more backward compatible games.
Oh that goes without saying, I have no doubt that virtually every game in the entire roster from the OG Xbox on is ready to go. They made a post a while ago that while some games (across the entire library) had actual technical issues, most of the holes in the BC library were licensing issues.

I expect we'll have virtually everything in GamePass by this time next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom