• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft / Activision Deal Approval Watch |OT| (MS/ABK close)

Do you believe the deal will be approved?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Heavy Rain.... Meh.

The rest, wtf.
I haven't heard the Heavy Rain story. What is not clearly stated is that it wasn't a complete Spiderman game MS rejected but only the opportunity to license Marvel content. MS preferred and still prefers to actually own their content. Hence why MS would rather buy Activision over paying to just keep it off of PlayStation. Big picture and all that.

MS also didn't have a studio standing by ready to make a Marvel game so it wasn't really something they could have taken advantage of. Recently we've seen them work with Disney on the Sea of Thieves/Pirates colab so it's not like MS is opposed to licensed content.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
All regulators are "incompetent " or are in Sony's pocket unless they just rubber stamp the deal apparently.
I spent a fair few minutes discussing with a friend how this is just what MS needs to do to survive: buying Rare, Zenimax for $7.5 Billion, …, and now Activision - Blizzard for ~$70 Billion is just the bare minimum for this poor bullied $2 Trillion company to be able to compete with the $0.09 Trillion one after their purchase of $40 Million giant publisher Psygnosis in 1993.

Literally people saying anything anytime and anywhere trying to help making this deal pass… :LOL:.

Last edited:

KingT731

I haven't heard the Heavy Rain story. What is not clearly stated is that it wasn't a complete Spiderman game MS rejected but only the opportunity to license Marvel content. MS preferred and still prefers to actually own their content. Hence why MS would rather buy Activision over paying to just keep it off of PlayStation. Big picture and all that.

MS also didn't have a studio standing by ready to make a Marvel game so it wasn't really something they could have taken advantage of. Recently we've seen them work with Disney on the Sea of Thieves/Pirates colab so it's not like MS is opposed to licensed content.
Point still stands that some of the exclusives they're now complaining about resulted from things they (MS) rejected.

Last edited:

Lex Tenebris

Neo Member
Which game was there a statement on regarding workforce?
As said, maybe i was wrong, i read it somewhere, but I can't find the source.
The article I linked was well after the game launched. It was written in 2019. Also:

That was from Naoki Yoshida, the director of Final Fantasy XIV. It doesn't matter if Microsoft is bridging the gap with cross-chat (finally). They still haven't allowed cross-platform communities. Guilds are a big part of Final Fantasy XIV. Don't blindly defend Microsoft. Like Sony, Nintendo, and all other corporations, they aren't your friend.
Again, you can do all that in destiny 2 since at leat 1 year and a half, and considering how slow they are at implementing such things could possibly be available since way before. So, apart from an old interview, there is a source or something official from Microsoft that say there are still such limitations since they enabled crossplay? And maybe you don't remember, but till the end of 2018 it was Sony that negated cross play with other systems to protect its community.

Warablo

Nah, they’re using it as ammo. But it’s nothing more than a mere squib.
Brad Pitt Reaction GIF

Dick Jones

Gold Member

Microsoft were in a partnership with Insomniac Games making Sunset Overdrive when they said no to a licenced Marvel IP. Do you know who makes them Spider-Man games currently?

Can we have a minutes silence for the integrity of Resetera, so-called progressive/leftist site whose true colors have been shown in their thread on this.

In it there is sexism towards Lina Khan and calls for her to be fired, lobbying for the FTC to be shut down, siding with the Republican who voted against blocking the deal and other conservative voices, Jez Cordon defence force etc etc. Shame on you, and I know some of you cross post on here and there! You have no integrity, as soon as your favourite box is in need of defending the true colors come out.

The mods had to limit posting to once every 5 minutes and have banned a few posters arguing against the deal. The whole forum is like an Xbox echo chamber.

feynoob

Can we have a minutes silence for the integrity of Resetera, so-called progressive/leftist site whose true colors have been shown in their thread on this.

In it there is sexism towards Lina Khan and calls for her to be fired, lobbying for the FTC to be shut down, siding with the Republican who voted against blocking the deal and other conservative voices, Jez Cordon defence force etc etc. Shame on you, and I know some of you cross post on here and there! You have no integrity, as soon as your favourite box is in need of defending the true colors come out.

The mods had to limit posting to once every 5 minutes and have banned a few posters arguing against the deal. The whole forum is like an Xbox echo chamber.
They lost their identity.

Sheep Factory GIF

xHunter

Will be fun to read that thread if the CMA blocks the deal. I predict we will see more than 20 bans withing 24 hours.

GHG

Gold Member

The only thing that's consistent is that the forum is predominantly made up of groups of individuals who feel persecuted against. The whole place is full of people who behave as if they are a member of some endangered species that the whole world is conspiring against.

Make of that what you will.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

The awkward moment where some Xbox fans on here love Ree now.
GIF by filmeditor

I'm pretty liberal. Bernie Sanders has been one of my favorite politicians of the last decade. I was still able to say I disagreed with him and Khan pretty much immediately because I was using my brain. If you're trying to suggest that Resetera's Xbox tribalism eclipses their left wing tribalism, that's just not believable. I hate Resetera, but this is a dumb line of attack. They're awful for being a hive mind, but they're hypocrites for not blinding following their own side on all issues? The truth is you just shit on it whenever its convenient with whatever justification is convenient.

The FTC has a bad argument.

IFireflyl

Gold Member
As said, maybe i was wrong, i read it somewhere, but I can't find the source.

Again, you can do all that in destiny 2 since at leat 1 year and a half, and considering how slow they are at implementing such things could possibly be available since way before. So, apart from an old interview, there is a source or something official from Microsoft that say there are still such limitations since they enabled crossplay? And maybe you don't remember, but till the end of 2018 it was Sony that negated cross play with other systems to protect its community.

Two things:
  1. Quit "refuting" what I'm saying with zero evidence. Just because the article I posted is three year old isn't evidence that Microsoft has changed their stance. There are no guilds or communities in Destiny 2, and using that game to counter the point I made is proof of nothing. "Maybe those aren't Microsoft's rules anymore," is a really stupid counterargument.
  2. Your comment that Sony wouldn't allow cross-play until 2018 is patently false.

Final Fantasy 14: A Realm Reborn director Naoki Yoshida confirmed that the reason the MMO isn't coming to a Microsoft console is due to the hardware manufacturer's restrictive online policies that prevent cross-platform play.

This isn't the case with Sony, hence why the PS3, PS4, and PC versions of the rebooted MMO will all be able to play with each other.

"The main reason from our side is that I don't want the community to be divided; to be split into two or more," said Yoshida in an interview with RPGsite. "For example, one player might be on the PC version, another might be on the PS4 version, and I'm playing the Xbox version - but we're not able to join the same game servers. That is just... I just don't like the idea. I disagree with it."

"To be frankly honest with you, there are now so many mobile devices, smart phones, everything - why would you ever just stick to one platform from the hardware aspect? Just - make it open to everyone?"

Beyond players of different platforms not being able to play with one another, existing players of the MMO wouldn't be able to transfer their character over to this enhanced version of the game, due 27th August.

"I would love for as many players as possible to enjoy the game worldwide, so from a business point of view it could make sense to have it on the Xbox platforms," Yoshida continued. "But as I mentioned earlier, that would bring about the tragedy that somebody might have to give up their existing character. Then players might get frustrated, and then they ask us - 'Square Enix, can't you do something?' and then... yeah. Unless that happens, we can't really do anything."

In other words: your move, Microsoft.

That was an article from 2013. Sony got more restrictive in the PS4 era which was sucky, but stop pretending that Sony started this cross-play problem. Like I said, neither Microsoft nor Sony care about us. Quit blindly defending your stupid box. Both companies do dumb shit, and when it comes to cross-play Microsoft kicked off this dumbassery.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Since you guys are bored, here is some fun take.

“betterment of American based game companies (Microsoft vs. Sony)” ah, I knew there was a good “exceptionalism / patriotic” competition escape clause.

Like literally any argument is used: Sony is the big bully vs poor MS, MS is there to protect us against Tencent, MS protects the US of A against Asian globalists, MS is there to make money but will not remove games from competitors ever they just want to spend $80 Billion to make sure the industry is protected (what altruistic intent), “What about £40 Million for Psygnosis in 1993?!? How could MS survove without spending $80 Billion for Zenimax and then now Activision - Blizzard”, “We gave peace a chance…”, etc… 😂.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
“betterment of American based game companies (Microsoft vs. Sony)” ah, knew there was a good “exceptionalism / patriotic” competition escape clause.
Sounds familiar... ironic. Considering they were probably all on the OMB train when he said it :pie_roffles:
Donald Trump GIF

Between this shit and some of the Covid responses, the flippy floppies have been delicious in current year.

Last edited:
Point still stands that some of the exclusives they're now complaining about resulted from things they (MS) rejected.
Point is that PlayStation is a much bigger brand and always has been. Xbox isn't a gaming monopoly and there is no legal reason this acquisition should be blocked. It is silly to think that a random Marvel game would have drastically changed their fortunes. What is true was Xbox’s best generation resulted in them being third in console gaming.

Microsoft were in a partnership with Insomniac Games making Sunset Overdrive when they said no to a licenced Marvel IP. Do you know who makes them Spider-Man games currently?
Did you not read how MS did not want to use IP they did not own? Also Insomniac essentially was a Sony 2nd party. What are you even trying to argue? If they were working on Sunset Overdrive how would they also be working on a random Marvel IP? You speak like Spiderman was finished and awaited a MS final approval to be released.

“betterment of American based game companies (Microsoft vs. Sony)” ah, I knew there was a good “exceptionalism / patriotic” competition escape clause.

Like literally any argument is used: Sony is the big bully vs poor MS, MS is there to protect us against Tencent, MS protects the US of A against Asian globalists, MS is there to make money but will not remove games from competitors ever they just want to spend $80 Billion to make sure the industry is protected (what altruistic intent), “What about £40 Million for Psygnosis in 1993?!? How could MS survove without spending $80 Billion for Zenimax and then now Activision - Blizzard”, “We gave peace a chance…”, etc… 😂.
It is funny to hear you repeatedly say that people would say anything to get the deal passed when arguments like Nintendo isn't a competitor get tossed around to make MS look like a bigger deal in gaming. Funny because even absent Nintendo MS is still last. No argument makes them dominant in gaming which is what should matter when talking about the legality of the acquisition.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I'm pretty liberal. Bernie Sanders has been one of my favorite politicians of the last decade. I was still able to say I disagreed with him and Khan pretty much immediately because I was using my brain. If you're trying to suggest that Resetera's Xbox tribalism eclipses their left wing tribalism, that's just not believable. I hate Resetera, but this is a dumb line of attack. They're awful for being a hive mind, but they're hypocrites for not blinding following their own side on all issues? The truth is you just shit on it whenever its convenient with whatever justification is convenient.

The FTC has a bad argument.

It absolutely does. It's very simple really, this place in the old days was known as Sonygaf, lots of the most diehard xbox fans were purged from here over the years rightly or wrongly, and when the mass hysteria drama happened here, a great many of that community gladly went to Ree. Anway I won't derail with this forum meta-commentary, I just couldn't let such blatant hypocrisy and lack of integrity not be pointed out.

As for the other bit of your post, claiming to be a liberal whilst siding with the trillion dollar company trying to gobble up gaming is some funny shit. A company that sometimes trades places with Apple as being the very richest on earth. When did it pop in your liberal mind that them making the biggest tech acquisition in history was for the betterment of us all?

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Point is that PlayStation is a much bigger brand and always has been. Xbox isn't a gaming monopoly and there is no legal reason this acquisition should be blocked. It is silly to think that a random Marvel game would have drastically changed their fortunes. What is true was Xbox’s best generation resulted in them being third in console gaming.

Did you not read how MS did not want to use IP they did not own? Also Insomniac essentially was a Sony 2nd party. What are you even trying to argue? If they were working on Sunset Overdrive how would they also be working on a random Marvel IP? You speak like Spiderman was finished and awaited a MS final approval to be released.

It is funny to hear you repeatedly say that people would say anything to get the deal passed when arguments like Nintendo isn't a competitor get tossed around to make MS look like a bigger deal in gaming. Funny because even absent Nintendo MS is still last. No argument makes them dominant in gaming which is what should matter when talking about the legality of the acquisition.
I am glad you find it enjoyable, I wish it was me being creative instead of just pointing out the picture around MS pity party. Just the dances around which regulatory body is useless then key then useless then key again based on how the wind blows and what you hope they would say ;). I did forget a “what about Nintendo” and “dominant gaming platform”… about as strong and novel as Sony being a monopoly as they own 100% of the market of game companies named Sony.

The mental gymnastics trying to paint MS as the small bullied party are generating tons of hilarious moments (like the Spider-man license bit “Sony stole it! Blocked Xbox!!! Ah wait yeah MS rejected but poor MS they had no developer that could work on it…. They only had a partnership with Insomniac and you cannot give it to them… what do you mean Sony have it to them and they knocked it out of them park!!?” 😂).

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter

I just hit my line. I'm done. Microsoft is attempting to exploit the partisan hack Supreme Court by raising a constitutional objection to the very notion of FTC enforcement, something that is so destructive to the few checks and balances we have left in our economic system that it could be the final blow in our slide to neo-feudalism. Sorry, Call of fucking Duty ain't worth that.

I have always been platform neutral/Team All the Systems, but fuck this.

Last edited:
I just hit my line. I'm done. Microsoft is attempting to exploit the partisan hack Supreme Court by raising a constitutional objection to the very notion of FTC enforcement, something that is so destructive to the few checks and balances we have left in our economic system that it could be the final blow in our slide to neo-feudalism. Sorry, Call of fucking Duty ain't worth that.

I have always been platform neutral/Team All the Systems, but fuck this.
Because is not about call of duty.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Because is not about call of duty.
I don't give a shit what it's about, truly. I was all for it the buyout because I think Activision is overvalued, but a decision like this on constitutional grounds is something so catastrophically destructive and wrongheaded that it will eventually reduce the country to a third world nation, and sorry WHATEVER THE FUCK you think this is about is not worth that.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Microsoft turning down Marvel games was the right decision at the time. If they would have accepted the deal, who exactly would have been making Spider Man? It wasn't going to be Insomniac as they already went back with Sony to work on Ratchet 2016. Microsoft had a handful of studios and none of them would have been free to develop a Spider Man game.

Should Microsoft make exclusive game deals for Marvel licensed games now? Absolutely. But back in 2014, they made the correct decision.

ManaByte

Gold Member
I don't give a shit what it's about, truly. I was all for it the buyout because I think Activision is overvalued, but a decision like this on constitutional grounds is something so catastrophically destructive and wrongheaded that it will eventually reduce the country to a third world nation, and sorry WHATEVER THE FUCK you think this is about is not worth that.
Overreacting Episode 2 GIF by Curb Your Enthusiasm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom