• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft / Activision Deal Approval Watch |OT| (MS/ABK close)

Do you believe the deal will be approved?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

ironmang

Bullshit. Come on. They want Call of Duty to be exclusive and realistically the same for Minecraft. The only reason they aren't outright doing that is because Microsoft don't own the majority share of the console market. If they did of course they would and it'd massively hurt the competition. Business is business.
What is bullshit? That they don't have the same priorities as console warriors?

The statement about caring what makes the most money literally makes no sense. XBOX hardware doesn't make money, Microsoft admitted it barely ever has. GamePass isn't increasing in subscribers the way Microsoft need it too. It's not profitable. Microsoft are literally losing money to try and buy love from gamers and buy market share.
Most hardware loses money now and has for a long time, what's your point? Everything they do is because it pushes forward their overall business strategy.

They own incredible IP from Bethesda, that library is going to massively expand in the future. Are they going to port every Spyro, Crash, Tony Hawk, WoW and Diablo game in the future to all platforms? People are so hung up on CoD they don't even talk about everything else involved in this deal.
Bethesda isn't part of "this deal".

And if they keep it all multiplatform, what's the point in being a console manufacturer.

By your logic, the console manufacturers should buy up every publisher and developer, just to ensure all games come to all consoles and nobody gets exclusivity rights.
Why is it all or nothing? They're going to keep some multiplatform and some exclusive. They've decided games like Minecraft and COD are better left multiplatform.

MarkMe2525

Do you see the difference? You only quoted the part that talks about current games when they're talking about both current AND future Zenimax games.

BOTH instances it has been stated that they have no incentive to remove the titles.

If they were talking about existing games, then they wouldn't talk about the future titles.
Oh I see the difference, I quoted the exact statement MS made which is being misinterpreted. The other quote you posted is from the EU assessment, and I'm not sure how EU explanation of their thought process changes the language or meaning of what MS submitted.

My position comes from the exact words on record, and later statements by Phil that expanded on their intentions. These are documents for legal precedings, if MS meant all future games, it would plainly state such.
An erroneous point nonetheless.

You can’t complain about others spinning when you’re doing it yourself.
IMO, it was not an erroneous point. It's the entire point.

Last edited:

ToadMan

I understand exactly what I'm saying. Unlike your position, I don't have to add implied words to their statement to come to my conclusion. MS stated they would continue to make Zenimax games available, and they have.

Well your misreading didn’t survive because right now, the EC, CMA and FTC have all cited the Zenimax acquisition and what happened subsequently, as a concern about the ABK deal.

And their concerns have been shown to you many times over.

ToadMan

Xbox has presented a 10-year deal to its competition, which would span about 2 console generations. PlayStation would have 10 years at the least to form studios that can compete in the online FPS market. Sony saying they are not capable is misleading.

Awesome - why don’t MS avoid the risk of an acquisition and just make their own CoD killer and whatever else?

They’ve got the money evidently - what else are they missing?

Last edited:

Gobjuduck

Banned
There's nothing believe. EU clearly said they were not deceived.

They never promised any exclusively.

Some of you all acting stupid just like Sony's Jimbo.
I don’t understand why people here don’t understand this. The EU regulators responded to the FTC saying Xbox made no commitment to keeping Bethesda games on competitive platforms.

Past that point it shouldn’t matter. They are just using it now because that’s all they have outside of CONSOLIDATIONS BAD. That’s why I think the deal is going through, because the points against it are weak.

If the European Comission said tomorrow that xbox deceived them and the zenimax deal wouldn’t have gone through, this would be a totally different conversation. They’ve had months to say it, and they haven’t.

Boglin

I feel like a lot of confusion might be avoided if we can differentiate between the words "keeping games available" and "continue making games available", especially since the context referenced future titles.

ToadMan

Best Outcome: MS gets Activision, but then have to release all AB+Bethesda games on PS5.

This is the only deal that get’s passed in my opinion at this stage.

Either MS divest or they legally wall off ABK so they’re effectively third party.

If all ABK content is really on the table now with the 10 years expiry as suggested - well it’s not much of a jump from there to go to an arrangement with no expiry date and use some other termination mechanism.

It’s just motivation to do it and of course for MS to discount the effect of coercing gamers across….

ToadMan

IGS6pYW.gif

ToadMan

I don’t understand why people here don’t understand this. The EU regulators responded to the FTC saying Xbox made no commitment to keeping Bethesda games on competitive platforms.

Past that point it shouldn’t matter. They are just using it now because that’s all they have outside of CONSOLIDATIONS BAD. That’s why I think the deal is going through, because the points against it are weak.

If the European Comission said tomorrow that xbox deceived them and the zenimax deal wouldn’t have gone through, this would be a totally different conversation. They’ve had months to say it, and they haven’t.

This is a gaming forum where people argue what the meaning of “is” is. The regulators deal in legalities.

The premise they operate is that businesses act reasonably and rationally in pursuit of revenue.

MS spelled out the reasonable and rational reasons they would not take future Zenimax content exclusive and the EC agreed with MS’s assessment. In summary - no point because MS would never cover the costs and no rational reasonable business would waste money.

And then MS took unreasonable and irrational actions immediately after the deal was approved.

And this deal is the continuation of that unreasonable and irrational behavior which is why it remains unapproved at this time.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Are we really on this topic that Microsoft didn't mislead the regulators or misrepresent their intention about making Zenimax games exclusives?

Microsoft DID. Here is the proof. I'm gonna clear this once and for all.

I know certain people will just ignore this post and start this argument again after 10 pages in bad faith. So I'd recommend bookmarking this post and quoting it again when it (inevitably) happens again.

This is from the EU Microsoft/Zenimax acquisition document:

iicOBva.png

1. The Notifying Party in this document is Microsoft.
  2. Microsoft says that a significant share of Zenimax game sales will happen on PS5, as compared to XSX.
    • It is evident that they are talking about future games (not old games that are available on PlayStation). Or do the naysayers think that Dishonored and Wolfenstein on PS5 (not PS4) would outsell Starfield, Redfall, Hi-Fi Rush, and Elder Scrolls 6 on Xbox Series X? (lol! please say you do!)
    • So the argument that Microsoft was only talking about "old Zenimax games" is bullshit. It has been proven wrong here.
  3. "Hypothetical console exclusive strategy." This is an industry-standard term that is applied to games that are exclusive to one console and have not been released on other consoles until the point of discussion.
  4. Here, Microsoft defines scenarios, and until those scenarios occur, Microsoft says that a console-exclusive strategy will not work.
    • The time-frame for measuring whether Microsoft has achieved those scenarios or not was 5 years. However, they made their games exclusive 2 days after the acquisition closed. Why didn't they wait for 5 years as they implied they would?
  5. Microsoft clearly implied that it is extremely unlikely that they would ever achieve these results / hit those scenarios. That means they are extremely unlikely to engage in a console-exclusive strategy.

Microsoft Was Not Only Referring to Older Zenimax Games

astVxcO.png

Here is another proof that Microsoft referred to older as well as newer games.
  1. Cease (m. bring to an end) refers to pulling off games that are already available, i.e., Wolfenstein, Dishonored, Fallout 76.
  2. Limit making (m. the process of making or producing something) refers to stop making Zenimax games for PlayStation, i.e., Starfield, Elder Scrolls 6, Redfall, Hi-Fi Rush.

The Case-by-Case Basis Argument Is Also Wrong

IfPjqBF.png

Microsoft never said to EC that they would take it case-by-case basis or will make some exclusives while keeping some multiplatform.

According to Microsoft, their future strategy regarding Zenimax games was not engaging in a "total or partial" foreclosure strategy.

The CMA also called out Microsoft's misrepresentation of their intention
J8DmgQx.png

"Zenimax games" -- nowhere does it say "old or existing Zenimax games."

Is Starfield a "Zenimax game?" Yes. That means it meets this definition and, therefore, counts.

Edit: Thanks for the Gold, Bonsaibäumchen Bonsaibäumchen ❤️

Last edited:

Helghan

Are we really on this topic that Microsoft didn't mislead the regulators or misrepresent their intention about making Zenimax games exclusives?

I know certain people will just ignore this post and start this argument again after 10 pages in bad faith. So I'd recommend bookmarking this post and quoting it again when it (inevitably) happens again.

iicOBva.png

2. Microsoft says that a significant share of Zenimax game sales will happen on PS5, as compared to XSX.
    1. It is evident that they are talking about future games (not old games that are available on PlayStation). Or do the naysayers think that Dishonored and Wolfenstein on PS5 (not PS4) would outsell Starfield, Redfall, Hi-Fi Rush, and Elder Scrolls 6 on Xbox Series X? (lol! please say you do!)
    2. So the argument that Microsoft was only talking about "old Zenimax games" is bullshit. It has been proven wrong here.
  3. "Hypothetical console exclusive strategy." This is an industry-standard term that is applied to games that are exclusive to one console and have not been released on other consoles until the point of discussion.
  4. Here, Microsoft defines scenarios, and until those scenarios occur, Microsoft says that a console-exclusive strategy will not work.
    1. The time-frame for measuring whether those Microsoft has achieved those scenarios or not was 5 years. However, they made their games exclusive 2 days after the acquisition closed. Why didn't they wait for 5 years as they implied they would?
  5. Microsoft clearly implied that it is extremely unlikely that they would ever achieve these results / hit those scenarios. That means they are extremely unlikely to engage in a console-exclusive strategy.

astVxcO.png

1. Cease (m. bring to an end) refers to pulling off games that are already available, i.e., Wolfenstein, Dishonored, Fallout 76.
  2. Limit making (m. the process of making or producing something) refers to stop making Zenimax games for PlayStation, i.e., Starfield, Elder Scrolls 6, Redfall, Hi-Fi Rush.

IfPjqBF.png

Microsoft never said to EC that they would take it case-by-case basis or will make some exclusives while keeping some multiplatform.

According to Microsoft, their future strategy regarding Zenimax games was not engaging in a "total or partial" foreclosure strategy.

J8DmgQx.png

Is Starfield a "Zenimax game?" Yes. That means it meets this definition and, therefore, counts.
I don’t understand what you guys aren’t getting. “Hypothetical”, “might”, “incentive”.

Nowhere did they promise to do this. Apparently according to Microsoft it made more sense to keep them exclusive.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I don’t read it like that. I read it as, we only make it exclusive if it results in millions of more players in the next 5 years. It doesn’t say we will evaluate in 5 years.
Point #5.

Microsoft says that it is implausible that it will hit those numbers, so highly unlikely they'll ever make these games exclusive (because they won't hit those numbers in the first place).

Then Microsoft made those games exclusives 2 days later. How did an "implausible" scenario become possible in only 2 days?

Helghan

Point #5.

Microsoft says that it is implausible that it will hit those numbers, so highly unlikely they'll ever make these games exclusive (because they won't hit those numbers in the first place).

Then Microsoft made those games exclusives 2 days later. How did an "implausible" scenario become possible in only 2 days?
Like you said “unlikely”, 2 days later they thought it was possible.

So nowhere did they actually lie.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Like you said “unlikely”, 2 days later they thought it was possible.

So nowhere did they actually lie.
That's not how it works lol, "What we said 2 days ago to regulators does not apply now." That's misrepresentation.
  • Did Microsoft gain all those new users they said they would? No. So why did they make those games exclusive?
  • Are there any signs that users are shifting from PS5 to XBS? No. They are being outsold by PS5 tremendously, and their YoY sales are decreasing now.
So literally nothing changed for Microsoft that made them go "oh, now, it's possible."

And if you say this, you're also accepting that what Microsoft submitted in the documents to EU was incorrect. It was so incorrect that MS had to change their minds just 2 days later.

And if their submission was wrong, it is akin to misrepresenting.

Last edited:

ToadMan

I don’t understand what you guys aren’t getting. “Hypothetical”, “might”, “incentive”.

Nowhere did they promise to do this. Apparently according to Microsoft it made more sense to keep them exclusive.

The document is not a contract or covenant, it is an investigation and assessment.

You won’t find the word “promise” - that works on the playground but not with regulators who know that a promise is worthless.

They either want legally binding remedies or they don’t.

With zenimax they didn’t, with ABK in part because of MS behavior with Zeni, they do.

Last edited:

Gobjuduck

Banned
I'm gonna clear this once and for all.
Appreciate your effort, impressive actually. but, there is no new information here.

The EC didn’t take this as a commitment. Exclusively was in question before and during the acquisition.

Why didn’t the EC come out right after the acquisition and say “hey, Mr xbox you just lied to us”. It wasn’t part of the equation. improbable =/= impossible.

I get where you see the contradiction in Microsoft’s points, but that really doesn’t matter. Because in the case of ABK, Microsoft is offering binding commitments. You can argue 10 years isn’t good enough for Sony, but you know that isn’t true.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Appreciate your effort, impressive actually. but, there is no new information here.

The EC didn’t take this as a commitment. Exclusively was in question before and during the acquisition.

Why didn’t the EC come out right after the acquisition and say “hey, Mr xbox you just lied to us”. It wasn’t part of the equation. improbable =/= impossible.

I get where you see the contradiction in Microsoft’s points, but that really doesn’t matter. Because in the case of ABK, Microsoft is offering binding commitments. You can argue 10 years isn’t good enough for Sony, but you know that isn’t true.
That's not the discussion. In their decision, EC said that even if MS were to make all these games exclusive, they'd still have passed this acquisition because Zenimax has little to no impact. It's in the document.

The discussion is that Microsoft misrepresented their intention, which they did, as can be seen in my post.

And the CMA & FTC have called it out, and it's now a big reason why they aren't allowing ABK.

Banjo64

cumsessed

iicOBva.png

• It is evident that they are talking about future games (not old games that are available on PlayStation). Or do the naysayers think that Dishonored and Wolfenstein on PS5 (not PS4) would outsell Starfield, Redfall, Hi-Fi Rush, and Elder Scrolls 6 on Xbox Series X? (lol! please say you do!)
    • So the argument that Microsoft was only talking about "old Zenimax games" is bullshit. It has been proven wrong here.
    • The time-frame for measuring whether Microsoft has achieved those scenarios or not was 5 years. However, they made their games exclusive 2 days after the acquisition closed. Why didn't they wait for 5 years as they implied they would?

astVxcO.png

IfPjqBF.png

J8DmgQx.png

I wish that cleared it once and for all but we both know it won’t (for some). Great post though.

ToadMan

True - it’s still accurate data as it was before.

The EC didn’t take this as a commitment.

Nor could they - this was not a contract or covenant.

Exclusively was in question before and during the acquisition.

Don’t know what that means.

Because it’s not a school yard.

Sony are irrelevant - 10 years isn’t good enough for the regulators.

Last edited:

Elios83

iicOBva.png

astVxcO.png

IfPjqBF.png

J8DmgQx.png

It's useless some people are lost in the reality they want to believe in.
Also the whole discussion is just running in circles.
No one is discussing about reality and the only thing that matters, what chances this deal has to survive the CMA final judgement in late April? With Microsoft completely unwilling to offer more than their 10 years contract, I think CMA will block and this won't even need to go to court with the FTC in summer, things will be settled much earlier.

Alex Scott

iicOBva.png

astVxcO.png

IfPjqBF.png

J8DmgQx.png

If FTC brings this up in court, what do you think MS would counter it with?

Helghan

That's not how it works lol, "What we said 2 days ago to regulators does not apply now." That's misrepresentation.
  • Did Microsoft gain all those new users they said they would? No. So why did they make those games exclusive?
  • Are there any signs that users are shifting from PS5 to XBS? No. They are being outsold by PS5 tremendously, and their YoY sales are decreasing now.
So literally nothing changed for Microsoft that made them go "oh, now, it's possible."

And if you say this, you're also accepting that what Microsoft submitted in the documents to EU was incorrect. It was so incorrect that MS had to change their minds just 2 days later.

And if their submission was wrong, it is akin to misrepresenting.
That’s exactly how it works. Again, you are misinterpreting the text. Microsoft did nothing wrong, they didn’t lie, and didn’t do anything illegal. Your interpretation is just incorrect.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Not much. The best Microsoft can do is waive the 10-year COD agreement for PlayStation and Nintendo. But the FTC can just discard it like the CMA did.

For reference, the CMA essentially said that, after Zenimax, they don't trust Microsoft because (1) it's only a 10-year agreement when it should not be timed-barred, and (2) Even if Microsof does a legally binding agreement, they may have an incentive to break that contract and make COD exclusive down the road.

The FTC can take a similar stance.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
That’s exactly how it works. Again, you are misinterpreting the text. Microsoft did nothing wrong, they didn’t lie, and didn’t do anything illegal. Your interpretation is just incorrect.
No. Also, you haven't answered any of my questions.

Microsoft said engaging in console exclusivity would be "implausible" because it would be highly unlikely to increase Xbox numbers to a certain % in the next 5 years.
  • If Microsoft thought it was implausible (when it really wasn't), did they submit incorrect data and assessment to regulators and make them believe a situation that wasn't real?
  • If Microsoft thought it was plausible (which they certainly thought after 2 days), why did Microsoft say it was implausible?
Pick one.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Franchises are not protected from going exclusive, unless that was set before the deal, which it never was (nothing binding was set, except this vague statement from xbox didnt SWAY the legal process). TES 6 wasn't promised to any platform before the deal.

Oh please doom, tes and fallout are legitimately something that belongs to all gamers… they’re part of the legacy of our hobby… that they’ve become exclusive is a disgrace.

Yes ff is in that bucket as well but at least the deal expires in one year.

ToadMan

This is not what I think - this is exactly what MS has countered it with so far in the FTC case

Any suggestion that Microsoft’s statements to the European Commission about ZeniMax were misleading is incorrect. Microsoft explicitly said it would honor Sony’s existing exclusivity rights and approach exclusivity for future game titles on a case-by-case basis, which is exactly what it has done. The European Commission agrees it was not misled, stating publicly the day after the Complaint that Microsoft did not make any “commitments” to the European Commission,
nor did the European Commission “rely on any statements made by Microsoft about the future distribution strategy concerning ZeniMax’s games.” Instead, the European Commission cleared the transaction “unconditionally as it concluded that the transaction would not raise competition concerns.”

Basically the same argument as that trotted out here.

So microsofts previous statements and behaviour are finally coming back to bite them in the ass? Regulators gave them a free one with zenimax but it's real proof of Microsofts true intentions. Microsoft themselves even said Bethesda games would sell much more on PS5 than their own hardware, yet they still dropped the PS platforms for future releases, proving they don't care about that. They want to use these beloved ip to grow in a anti competitive way.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
So will TES 6 be released on PS5? :pie_thinking:
Cause you know, there's a playerbase already on PlayStation for the franchise.
Of course not, it is many years out. PS6 would be a hypothetical. Does it really make sense to include a franchise that has one game every 15 years or so in an argument about a merger that includes a franchise that has the top selling new game every single year?

I still think it makes sense for MS to release Starfield on PS5 near the end of the generation. It is still money on the table. The draw is gamepass day one for no additional cost. 3 years out it is still an important exclusive, but it would do more good for the shareholders to sell a million plus copies on PS5. Of course announcing anything like this now decreases the draw of the "timed" exclusive.

Alex Scott

This is not what I think - this is exactly what MS has countered it with so far in the FTC case

Any suggestion that Microsoft’s statements to the European Commission about ZeniMax were misleading is incorrect. Microsoft explicitly said it would honor Sony’s existing exclusivity rights and approach exclusivity for future game titles on a case-by-case basis, which is exactly what it has done. The European Commission agrees it was not misled, stating publicly the day after the Complaint that Microsoft did not make any “commitments” to the European Commission,
nor did the European Commission “rely on any statements made by Microsoft about the future distribution strategy concerning ZeniMax’s games.” Instead, the European Commission cleared the transaction “unconditionally as it concluded that the transaction would not raise competition concerns.”

Basically the same argument as that trotted out here.
.... nor did the European Commission “rely on any statements made by Microsoft about the future distribution strategy concerning ZeniMax’s games.”
Doesn't this kinda refute what MS said. So how would they counter this if FTC bring this up? That isn't a bullet proof statement. It got a lot of holes in it..

Last edited:

RickMasters

So will TES 6 be released on PS5? :pie_thinking:
Cause you know, there's a playerbase already on PlayStation for the franchise.
Why would it release on PlayStation though? I’m pretty sure MS bought Bethesda, to make those games exclusive. Was there really any doubt that all future Bethesda games will be Xbox/PC/ Gamepass?

It’s not like they pulled deathloop or Tokyo ghost wire and those games never had an established audience to begin with. It’s not like you can’t play fallout 76 or ESO on PS right now or the Skyrim remaster…. Or doom. Or Wolfenstein….

They honoured their intent. But this idea that post acquisition ES6 or Skyrim would be playable on PS is just silly. If Sony releases a bungie exclusive, I won’t suddenly feel shafted as a bungie fan since halo on OG Xbox and it’s a very real possibility that will happen. Inspite of the fact that bungie made a statement that all future games will still be multi format…. But if they or Sony change their mind….It’s just business, isn’t it? Why is that not the case when it comes to Xbox, with you guys? If Nintendo bought square would you still feel entitled to final fantasy games on PlayStation even though Nintendo are the ones that spent the money? And much like FF….. ES has its console roots on Xbox long before PS. Could you play morrowwind on PS2 when OG Xbox owners were playing it? And let’s not forget that Bethesda has always treated the PlayStation like a second platform compared to Xbox. How many times over the years did Todd Howard do his E3 presentations on an Xbox stage vs a PS one?

I’m not saying there are not fans of Bethesda games on PS but, Bethesda we’re always synonymous with Xbox in the way that square are with Sony and Nintendo.

RickMasters

Of course not, it is many years out. PS6 would be a hypothetical. Does it really make sense to include a franchise that has one game every 15 years or so in an argument about a merger that includes a franchise that has the top selling new game every single year?

I still think it makes sense for MS to release Starfield on PS5 near the end of the generation. It is still money on the table. The draw is gamepass day one for no additional cost. 3 years out it is still an important exclusive, but it would do more good for the shareholders to sell a million plus copies on PS5. Of course announcing anything like this now decreases the draw of the "timed" exclusive.
It makes about as much sense as Nintendo or Sony putting their exclusives on rival consoles. Sure it would sell a few extra copies on an extra platform but at the expense of diluting attraction to your own service. Utterly defeats the point given that Xbox needs excludes just as much as Nintendo or PlayStation.

I’m aware that share holders are all about money but I’m pretty sure they are aware what business they and MS/ Xbox are in too…… exclusives sell consoles. Im pretty sure they understand that by now ,when the sound of money is not jingling in their ears and their pupils are go the shape of dollar signs. Cuz you know…. Share holders apparently know nothing about anything except bean counting according to many on the GAF.

RickMasters

Oh, so they haven't removed games from other platforms.

Edit: here is the quote.
"And if you go back to the Zenimax titles, all of the Zenimax games that we said are gonna ship on PlayStation, we have shipped on PlayStation. All of the games when we acquired Zenimax that were available on PlayStation, at the time that we acquired them, we have continued to do content updates on PlayStation and PC."

It sounds more like people took what he said out of context... That almost never happens.
I think people deliberately took it out of context to make MS look like they are lying about keeping COD multiformat. I don’t believe people were really so daft as to expect MS to buy a company for twice what they paid for Minecraft, that makes more than one game and has multiple studios and just throw all the future games everywhere. I also feel like this is where people make the argument that MS should be a publisher comes from. It’s just reads like flippant, circle jerking especially when they go off the deep end and suggest MS is gonna get out of the console business, if they don’t get ABK. As we have seen over the last few pages of this thread.

It’s almost as bad as the people fantasising that sony will by a publisher to ‘counter’…… video games fanfare is insane.

I tend to take a watch and see approach to things but I would never let my thoughts lead me so far astray that If sony or Nintendo buy a dev or a publisher that future games will somehow be on their rivals platforms. I know if I was running a any of these companies I would not be doing that.

Poltz

With this logic GTA6 should be able to be console exclusive with no issue right?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom