• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft / Activision deal prevented to protect innovation and choice in cloud gaming

kanjobazooie

Mouse Ball Fetishist
I'll probably get a perm ban for my posts but I don't give a fuck.
0bd4e669-be17-42be-9023-c0445482dfa0_text.gif

Topher

Gold Member
They might say them "all the time" but somehow I seem to miss them and I spend way too much time on this forum than i'd like to admit. I don't pretend they dont exist. Please show me a fair comparison.

If you are seriously suggesting there are no negative posts about Sony on this forum then you absolutely are pretending they don't exist. Sony's raising prices of games and consoles alone generated a shitton of hate, including from me. But sure.....just pretend those conversations never existed.

GHG

Gold Member
Last edited:
If you are seriously suggesting there are no negative posts about Sony on this forum then you absolutely are pretending they don't exist. Sony's raising prices of games and consoles alone generated a shitton of hate, including from me. But sure.....just pretend those conversations never existed.
I am definitely not suggesting there are NO negative posts abouy Sony on this forum. They do exist but I fear you don't understand the definition of bias.

Topher

Gold Member
I am definitely not suggesting there are NO negative posts abouy Sony on this forum. They do exist but I fear you don't understand the definition of bias.

I understand bias perfectly well, but that's not what we are talking about. You said "nobody is allowed to say anything bad against Sony" and that is bullshit. And you just admitted it is bullshit.

Awkward John Krasinski GIF by Saturday Night Live

zomboden

Banned
This forum is biased towards good content. The latest poll has FF16, Zelda and Starfield near even.

If there is a lack of enthusiasm towards Xbox on this forum maybe instead of blaming the community try blaming the company unable to generate excitement around their brand.
It's definitely a reflection of the market share. And you mention FF16 and Starfield but what % percentage of people do you think had PC in mind when Starfield was mentioned. And with FF16 you have to play on PS5.

The reality is that Xbox just has a severely diminished presence here. At least. But like I said it's probably a reflection of the market share.

Last edited:
Dial back your persecution complex and constant console war baiting.
I understand bias perfectly well, but that's not what we are talking about. You said "nobody is allowed to say anything bad against Sony" and that is bullshit. And you just admitted it is bullshit.

Awkward John Krasinski GIF by Saturday Night Live
Well if you want to be that pedantic, sure, but you're missing the entire point.

Last edited:

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
That poll suggests that PS5 is the winner. Therefore most people on this forum have a PS5
Yeah those 3 more votes really swayed the whole forum...I just wonder why is it always warriors that have a persecution complex?It is crazy that non warrior just think a forums are made from individuals that sometimes agree and sometimes don't.But no to you GAF has a real inherent bias toward sony that have absolutely no explaination....

merging two different posts together? good job.

Yeah those 3 more votes really swayed the whole forum...I just wonder why is it always warriors that have a persecution complex?It is crazy that non warrior just think a forums are made from individuals that sometimes agree and sometimes don't.But no to you GAF has a real inherent bias toward sony that have absolutely no explaination....
Do you understand how polls work? Majority wins.

That 3 more votes was 0.9% difference.

Last edited:

zomboden

Banned
By 0.9%? 3 units? Really?

You're not doing yourself any favours, I'll just drop this.
I just think it's impressive alone that more people on a gaming FORUM have a CONSOLE than a PC. More people have a CONSOLE. On a gaming FORUM than a COMPUTER.

And it was multiple choice. So how many of those 46% also had a PC too.

And yeah that poll does show that quite a bit more people have Xbox than I expected. But then you look at "What platform are you playing this game on?" And usually it's overwhelming in PlayStation's favour.

So it's obvious that people have decided that in general that's the place to play your games. Despite owning Xbox/PC/PS5 they prefer the PS5.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
merging two different posts together? good job.

Do you understand how polls work? Majority wins.

That 3 more votes was 0.9% difference.
Yeah do you understand how anecdotal that is or do you see life in absolutes with no subtlety whatsoever?
In a room of 100 people if 51 are more inclined toward sony and 49 toward PC you'd say that it's a sony fanboy territory?Because the delta would be bigger in this scenario than in the poll.So 3 people are preventing all of gaf from talking bad about sony, no matter the countless threads shitting on sony.Poor guy the whole world might seem like an ennemy to you.

This forum is way way more biased towards Sony than the "other place" which I lurk on but refuse to be a member of that.

There was a poll yesterday and more people said they owned a PS5 on here than a fucking PC...

And look at the Hogwarts what platform are you going to be playing on? It was like 60-70% PS5.
It’s possible Gaf is more Sony-centric than Era but I don’t think a poll here with no equivalent poll in the other side is enough to decide that. But what they do on Era is to ban warriors and thank god for that.

All platform holders need to be barred from acquiring publishers and removing competition from the space. Microsoft, Sony, Nintendo, Google, Apple, Valve, Epic, Amazon...it needs to be agreed that if you are a platform holder you don't get to buy out the entire industry. Let gamers decided what games they want to play and what platforms they want to play them on using their wallet, rather than platform holders making those decisions for everyone.

Bragr

Banned
Honestly I don’t think Disney is the absolute worst, but no doubt they went “woke”. And I consider myself moderate/slightly left leaning but it’s very clear they push certain views/agendas these days versus the 90s/even 2000s. A lot of times unecessarily.

MCU are manufactured movies, they tried to manufacture Star Wars too but failed miserably. They’re a good example of what can happen if a corporation is allowed to buy up all the imprtant IPs
How Disney is handling Marvel is your fear for Xbox?

So do you think Game Pass is gonna go woke? there will be one body that will decide how each studio develops like a conveyor belt, and all Xbox games will feature gay protagonists? Is that your fear?

Thirty7ven

Banned

So this forum more accurately represents the market? The Hogwarts splits are probably even more lopsided for PS5 in real life.

It’s complete nonsense over at Ree, they got spooked by the mass exodus of XboxEra and turned that shit into a safe space for Xbox fanboys, it’s completely disproportionate. Look at the ABK thread alone. They have almost carte blanche to talk shit about PlayStation, even some of the mods.

Not saying it can’t be like that, but don’t come talk gibberish like that.

That shit doesn’t even matter for the topic at hand.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Please note, for all your (I would hope) jest that this deal isn't happening without CMA approval, it needs approval from the US, EU and UK to pass, anyone of those three say no this deal is done.

Could MS start a new process for a new deal excluding the uk, I guess, but that's back to square one for them. Another 2 years before anything actually happens.
Pfft. Microsoft will just threaten them too.

reinking

Gold Member
I'd actually fucking die of laughter if MS successfully appealed this. I got no horse in this race but there are so many bitter cunts out there giving kicks into each other that I just want MS to be successful now. Hopefully the CMA changes their mind or the UK gov steps in to over rule the CMA.

This whole thing shows how pathetic some people are. Imagine defending multi billion/trillion $ companies. Get a grip of yourselves for goodness sake.
I am not sure I have ever witnessed someone so self unaware.

Poltz

You're seriously overestimating the importance of a tiny, gloomy, rainy island nation of like 500 people. Take it from me, an American...the UK doesn't matter. If they choose to be the only ones that don't want MS services in their country, that's gunna hurt them much more than it is gunna hurt MS and they would be forced to come around. God, you PS fanboys really want to keep the those 2 weeks of exclusive COD missions THAT bad huh?
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Thirty7ven

Banned
I just think it's impressive alone that more people on a gaming FORUM have a CONSOLE than a PC. More people have a CONSOLE. On a gaming FORUM than a COMPUTER.

And it was multiple choice. So how many of those 46% also had a PC too.

And yeah that poll does show that quite a bit more people have Xbox than I expected. But then you look at "What platform are you playing this game on?" And usually it's overwhelming in PlayStation's favour.

So it's obvious that people have decided that in general that's the place to play your games. Despite owning Xbox/PC/PS5 they prefer the PS5.

The hell are you talking about. Having a PC or a Smartphone to post on a forum does not mean you have… a gaming PC.

yes and only the people who wanted to this deal to fail for any reason whatsoever with every fiber of their being are championing the CMA's reason. Cloud gaming is a joke and everyone knows it. Stadia was a joke. Luna is a joke. Geforce Now is only good if you have extreme internet connectivity and even then you can't play games competetively ever because it has added latency and input delay. xCloud is 1080 60 at a low bitrate and it looks and runs like absolute garbage. worse than stadia/luna/geforce by far. It's by far the most accessible but worse quality streaming service.

xCloud is simply an accessory to Xbox Game Pass to entice people to play on the go and stuff. Everybody knows it. Damaging their relationship with Microsoft and the entire big tech industry over that reasoning makes no sense.

Every single content creator I follow that I've seen react to this decision that already wanted this deal to fail said "I dunno why cloud was their reasoning, but good cause I dont like big companies combining."

Not a single person was like "omg omg the incoming cloud gaming monopoly".
If cloud is so insignificant and inconsequential to the deal then why don't MS simply tell the CMA that they will give up cloud gaming and get the deal done then.

quest

Not Banned from OT
All platform holders need to be barred from acquiring publishers and removing competition from the space. Microsoft, Sony, Nintendo, Google, Apple, Valve, Epic, Amazon...it needs to be agreed that if you are a platform holder you don't get to buy out the entire industry. Let gamers decided what games they want to play and what platforms they want to play them on using their wallet, rather than platform holders making those decisions for everyone.
I would be fine with that if that included money hats to those publishers. Or else you leave a loop hole for the dominant market leader to content starve competition out of the market.

Shakka43

Of course they have more money. I never mentioned money. Don't you agree that Sony is the dominant console maker/publisher? or would you say that MS is successful/competitive?
PlayStation and Nintendo have got to their dominant positions without the need to acquire a 70 billion dollar company.
Just a little over a decade ago XB and PS where on "equal" ("equal" cause Sony was on the verge of bankruptcy while Microsoft still had all the money in the world) footing on the console market after 360/PS3 ended neck on neck. And yet here we are Playstation and Nintendo are flourishing while XB is rotting, perhaps they should spend all that cash in better management and strategies instead of trying to buy the entire industry like spoiled rich children.

Thirty7ven

Banned
I would be fine with that if that included money hats to those publishers. Or else you leave a loop hole for the dominant market leader to content starve competition out of the market.

It’s not a loop hole. Exclusive content from third parties is standard practice across entertainment industries.

You talk as if Sony paid for COD exclusivity. Guess what, GTA was exclusive, then it became massive and no longer made sense for the third party that owns the IP to be exclusive.

Just whiny senseless arguments this whole third party exclusivity thing. Everyone does it. Only one started buying the biggest publishers and IP in the world.

The only thing you’re upset is that the market doesn’t feel the way you do about Xbox. That’s basically it.

Last edited:

Eotheod

Cloud gaming is so impactful of a market that it can't even be used in Australia properly. Clearly a Microsoft dominated market when 0% of a playerbase region specific literally can not use the product.

Also there is no appropriate way of managing the likes of Microsoft, Sony or Nintendo without stiffling competition and swinging the pendulum to an extreme. You either cap market share which in turn reduces the likelihood of investment in tech growth, cap acquisitions or money hats which in turn reduces playerbase interest because many want a reason to play their console choice, or you leave it to be a free for all with the relative mindset that at a certain point the business is too big to operate without prejudice. The gaming sector isn't like others, it's rather unique to talent utilisation but also fickle userbase that can shift on a dime.

Last edited:

Mung

You're seriously overestimating the importance of a tiny, gloomy, rainy island nation of like 500 people. Take it from me, an American...the UK doesn't matter. If they choose to be the only ones that don't want MS services in their country, that's gunna hurt them much more than it is gunna hurt MS and they would be forced to come around. God, you PS fanboys really want to keep the those 2 weeks of exclusive COD missions THAT bad huh?
See I don't know if this is a joke post or whether it's a birth of a new meme

quest

Not Banned from OT
It’s not a loop hole. Exclusive content from third parties is standard practice across entertainment industries.

You talk as if Sony paid for COD exclusivity. Guess what, GTA was exclusive, then it became massive and no longer made sense for the third party that owns the IP to be exclusive.

Just whiny senseless arguments this whole third party exclusivity thing. Everyone does it. Only one started buying the biggest publishers and IP in the world.

The only thing you’re upset is that the market doesn’t feel the way you do about Xbox. That’s basically it.
Only Sony does it with large studios-publishers unless you want to go back a decade to tomb raider and the complaining about that 1 single large studio money hat.

ulantan

Only Sony does it with large studios-publishers unless you want to go back a decade to tomb raider and the complaining about that 1 single large studio money hat.
I think Microsoft just doesn't make good the best third party deals

zomboden

Banned
The hell are you talking about. Having a PC or a Smartphone to post on a forum does not mean you have… a gaming PC.
I think a forum is just an old school type of social medium so I would expect more people to be on PC, yes. But like you said I'm derailing the thread by talking about Sony/Xbox bias so I'm just gonna drop it here.

Thirty7ven

Banned

Maybe they should be better at fostering relationships with third parties, along with creating a healthy market for software sales of third parties, along with financing games and companies that they don’t own.

You’re mad at Sony but your energy is being directed at the wrong party.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m001lbd3 BBC interview with Brad Smith Microsoft President over the Deal
I skimmed through it. Here's some tidbits.
He doubles down on the fact that this is bad for UK's economy and all the big tech was watching this deal and now they will avoid them UK because of the CMA "Shake the confidence among the business community" says CMA has extreme lack of understanding.

Says that cloud gaming is a small business and isn't going the direction they say it is. Says Microsoft's max streaming capacity (XCLOUD) is 5,000 people to the entire country.

"Torpedo a 68 Billion Dollar Global Transaction over a concern over a small part of the business. And rejecting all these proposals. It leaves people worried."

He is then asked if this changes his perspective or Microsoft's perspective of the UK. He says "We've been in the UK for 40 years, defended them using cyber security. This decision is the darkest day of the entire 40 years in britain. It shakes our confidence more than ever before."

"Will it affect Microsofts business in the UK?" "We will definitely keep it in mind" he responds

That was all in the first 7 minutes. I'll leave you the rest to listen to if you wish. Anyways the too long didnt listen/read is: Microsoft is pissed at the UK.
But I though this was to reach billions of gamers on smart devices that need cloud to play Game Pass?

So now it's only 5,000?

Mr Rogers Clown GIF

Constant streams of bullshit.

Top Bottom