• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft announces VR motion controllers. $399 VR headset + controllers this holiday

I wonder if these controllers are properly tracked with a Kinect?

Could reignite the fire if the platform is flexible enough to make it easy to support VR/AR and 2d on the same game, even if immersion suffers a bit.

Wow, nice. Calling it now, Scorpio will be compatible with multiple VR headsets :p
Unfortunately it seems Vive backed out of supporting windows mixed reality reading between the lines of Build speaks. It would be nice to have that kind of support on a console.

But at least seems a given that any mixed reality headset works with them.

If it's $399 for both then that's not bad.
It is for both :)

Is the Resolution of those displays high enough?

it's above Oculus and Vive

Oculus / Vive: 1080×1200
Acer / HP MR: 1440 x 1440

but resolution is just one important part for a good VR experience
pixel density, pixel distance, subpixel matrix

They're trying to do VR + AR + motion control for $400. Will be interested to know whether or not this is a piece of crap.

In case you couldn't tell, I'm not optimistic.

This doesn't seem suitable for roomscale vr?
Which is the only VR I'm really interested and excited about

I guess we'll have to wait and see for peoples impressions on this matter!

*-* how many fps is that camera (because "motion blur" on images would make tracking impossible for fast movements), how will this work in a darker room (higher "shutter speed" needs more light) or bad light conditions.... I don't think that's a good idea, but benefit of the doubt for now.

Likely paired with similar IR tracking hololens uses, so don't worry about light, at all. Works lovely, with dedicated processing unit to boot

Tain

I'm skeptical that I'll be able to even do shit like accurately throw a ball given that the controllers need to maintain LoS to have accurate tracking.

I don't know how else they could have handled this without any "external" tracking-related devices, but still.

Holy shit. And for $400? That's crazy good.

But you gotto think like buying a camera. MegaPixels aren't everything. The lenses need to be good as well so the picture is sharp overall. Vive is supposed to be blurrier on the edges, but offers a higher field of view /more peripheral vision.´

Likely paired with similar IR tracking hololens uses, so don't worry about light, at all. Works lovely, with dedicated processing unit to boot
Ok, cool. Hopefully at least... price seems very low.

This doesn't seem suitable for roomscale vr?
Which is the only VR I'm really interested and excited about

I guess we'll have to wait and see for peoples impressions on this matter!
They actually claim roomscale without any other sensor or setup. The system scans your room as you wear it (impressions on this are quite good on both hololens and the acer devkit Ms sent on gdc)

Tain

They actually claim roomscale without any other sensor or setup. The system scans your room as you wear it (impressions on this are quite good on both hololens and the acer devkit Ms sent on gdc)

Hololens doesn't have any sort of hand controller, though, does it? Hand controllers introduce a ton of room for occlusion issues.

I don't know. When people talk about "roomscale" it generally means "what the Vive is like", and I can't see this having the same kind of hand tracking reliability. I would love to be wrong.

wwm0nkey

To give people an idea of how the Hololens scans things

CfpcJbHUMAAB0z6.jpg

Wardancer

Neo Member

If it doesn't use any other sensors than the headset, the hands can only track if you look at them with the headset. Thats a pretty terrible solution. Also the controllers look pretty awkward to use, hard to actions that require your hands to be close to each other such as reloading weapons.

bomblord1

Banned
Does it support OSVR standards? What about SteamVR?

If they're trying to release their own VR ecosystem and not open support for other standards I can't see it being good for them or the market in general.

NolbertoS

I predict that a large group of posters here on GAF that previously hated VR will come around after this announcement.

Not me. It needs to come down lower and needs bigger publisher support before I think VR is gonna be mainstream someday. Indie support doesn't count BTW. Talking about EA, Namco, Ubisoft, Take Two, etc

Regarding this reveal, interesting VR from MS. Maybe MS throws more money at VR someday to make it work.

Business

I will be suprised if the controllers don't have important occlusion problems. 400$ seems like a very reasonable price though.

c0de

I still don't think this vr thing will be big in gaming in the near future and this is like a me2 device.

I predict that a large group of posters here on GAF that previously hated VR will come around after this announcement.

And honestly? That's a good thing. I can't wait to see the resolution of the display and how well inside-out tracking works on the new headset.

EDIT: The controllers are tracked by the headset? Interesting, I'd like to see how developers work around that restriction.

Ah, the vr police is also here.

JaggedSac

I don't think VR ever cut down fanboy lines. 95% want it to be a thing while 5% just can't physically do it due to sickness.

Found out a few months ago at a BestBuy that I am part of the 5%. Was fine while I was playing but a few minutes afterwards and my brain went to shit. Felt bad for several hours later.

Does it support OSVR standards? What about SteamVR?

If they're trying to release their own VR ecosystem and not open support for other standards I can't see it being good for them or the market in general.

Well, Valve will probably add support in SteamVR regardless of what Microsoft does.

Hololens doesn't have any sort of hand controller, though, does it? Hand controllers introduce a ton of room for occlusion issues.

I don't know. When people talk about "roomscale" it generally means "what the Vive is like", and I can't see this having the same kind of hand tracking reliability. I would love to be wrong.
If I understood it correctly these controllers work with hololens too.
What's up with the shape of those analog sticks?

At 30Hz?
The 30fps is for high resolution required for the body tracking. Perhaps the camera can support other resolution modes with different frame rate (first one did iirc) and since the LEDs there would be less need for the extra precision.
If it doesn't use any other sensors than the headset, the hands can only track if you look at them with the headset. Thats a pretty terrible solution. Also the controllers look pretty awkward to use, hard to actions that require your hands to be close to each other such as reloading weapons.
It doesn't use any external sensors, but it's likely the controllers have the basic motion control sensors in it.

From earlier in the thread:

According to Microsoft the controllers have an inertial measurement unit (IMU) and use inverse kinematics to allow for some tracking when they’re not in the camera’s view.

https://uploadvr.com/microsoft-motio...headsets-6dof/

So, still inferior to the outside in solutions, but at least it's something.

So pretty much all the major OEMs? What about Asus?

Yep, Asus as well, forgot to add them. Here is a quote from back in January:

PC World said:
Microsoft isn't expected to sell Windows 10 VR headsets commercially. Those will be available later this year through companies Lenovo, Acer, Asus, HP, Dell and 3Glasses, which demonstrated headsets at the CES trade show earlier this month.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3158...-windows-10-vr-headsets-to-ship-in-march.html

Seems the headsets were a bit delayed as they were supposed to begin shipping to developers in March.

collige

Banned
Resolution seems good and I'm assuming there's open VR support, so this looks better than I expected. Not sold at all on the controller tracking claims though.

Top Bottom