• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft announces VR motion controllers. $399 VR headset + controllers this holiday

Tain

It doesn't use any external sensors, but it's likely the controllers have the basic motion control sensors in it.

Yup. And that reliance on blind tracking is why I'm worried that the basic actions needed for VR games like Robo Recall, Budget Cuts, and Space Pirate Trainer will be far less reliable on this technology.

I don't think VR ever cut down fanboy lines. 95% want it to be a thing while 5% just can't physically do it due to sickness.

Found out a few months ago at a BestBuy that I am part of the 5%. Was fine while I was playing but a few minutes afterwards and my brain went to shit. Felt bad for several hours later.

This doesn't mean you can't play VR, you just need to play different games.

The Lab, Budget Cuts, and SuperHot should never make anyone motion sick, ever, unless the computer screws up.

What's important is that the world should never move when you aren't moving in reality. I find games that do this much more immersive anyway.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
This price is really surprising. Aggressive pricing is good. I love my PSVR, but I'm still waiting for 240Hz, 4K panels (2k per eye) and around 120 degree FOV. I can't see us getting this before 2020.

wwm0nkey

Found out a few months ago at a BestBuy that I am part of the 5%. Was fine while I was playing but a few minutes afterwards and my brain went to shit. Felt bad for several hours later.

Roomscale helps with this A LOT. I've demoed the Vive to at least 1000+ people by now and some on the Rift feel sick but have 0 issues once they play something like The Lab on the Vive.

Yup. And that reliance on blind tracking is why I'm worried that the basic actions needed for VR games like Robo Recall, Budget Cuts, and Space Pirate Trainer will be far less reliable on this technology.
I don't see why. Any of those games requires you to operate stuff you are not looking at?

There's very little scenarios I can see not having absolute accurate hand precision when out of sight being an issue.

Roomscale helps with this A LOT. I've demoed the Vive to at least 1000+ people by now and some on the Rift feel sick but have 0 issues once they play something like The Lab on the Vive.
That's interesting. Never tested Vive, just rift and didn't liked it at all. Though ​other than the illness I couldn't stand the helmet it felt super uncomfortable.

I hope someday they can make it a contact lens probably the only way I'll be able to enjoy it XD

Not me. It needs to come down lower and needs bigger publisher support before I think VR is gonna be mainstream someday. Indie support doesn't count BTW. Talking about EA, Namco, Ubisoft, Take Two, etc

How is Crytek, Ubisoft, Epic Games, and Warner Brothers? (The Climb, Eagle Flight, Robo Recall, Arkham VR)

wwm0nkey

That's interesting. Never tested Vive, just rift and didn't liked it at all. Though ​other than the illness I couldn't stand the helmet it felt super uncomfortable.

I hope someday they can make it a contact lens probably the only way I'll be able to enjoy it XD
If you have a local Microsoft store, try the Vive out there if they still have it.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
Please don't have live VR demos on E3's stage. Also, don't invest much into this thing, focus on games for every xbox owner.

if they use green screens and those cameras that project whats happening around the player a live demo would work cant just have a guy standing up there with nothing going on around him

bumpkin

Hopefully it pushes the price down. I hope Sony is working on a 2nd gen version to be paired with the ps5.

Isn't that the price of the core PSVR unit?
Is it, but PSVR doesn't come with Move Controllers and a Camera, not at the 399 SKU. That's the 499 bundle that has a game.

PSVR price drop to 399 for the bundle and 299 for the Core Unit, incoming this fall.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
I predict that a large group of posters here on GAF that previously hated VR will come around after this announcement.

And honestly? That's a good thing. I can't wait to see the resolution of the display and how well inside-out tracking works on the new headset.

EDIT: The controllers are tracked by the headset? Interesting, I'd like to see how developers work around that restriction.

While I don't hate VR, I'm certainly not interested in the tech, and there isn't much that can make me interested.

JaggedSac

This doesn't mean you can't play VR, you just need to play different games.

The Lab, Budget Cuts, and SuperHot should never make anyone motion sick, ever, unless the computer screws up.

What's important is that the world should never move when you aren't moving in reality. I find games that do this much more immersive anyway.

That could be it, I was playing The Climb or some such and I was definitely moving in the VR world and not in the real, lol.

Melon Husk

Cheap optics and panel don't show up on paper. The controllers' main purpose is manipulating 3D models and browsing menus.

I'm sure with Asus' gamer caché they're probably working on a higher-specced HMD.
Asus ROG XH2000 HMD sneak peek
0170f7a5c28fd137bb03ded92990cbb7.jpg

Guy on stage at Build today said look out for E3 for mixed reality stuff. Looks like VR/AR garbage will plague MS conference this year.

Avtomat

Can someone clarify if these use inside out tracking, your hands will not be tracked if they are outside the cameras FoV? How wide then is the camera's FoV.

if they use green screens and those cameras that project whats happening around the player a live demo would work cant just have a guy standing up there with nothing going on around him
they could make the most impressive mock up the can, like the 2015's Minecraft for HoloLens demo, but it is still headed to a small audience and VR is no longer impressive. They are late to the party.

Tain

I don't see why. Any of those games requires you to operate stuff you are not looking at?

There's very little scenarios I can see not having absolute accurate hand precision when out of sight being an issue.

Robo Recall and Space Pirate Trainer have you grabbing equipment off your back or belt all the time, not to mention guns in the environment, grabbing enemy robots by the handle as they're to your side, etc. Stuff that you do a lot of at high-speeds. Budget Cuts and Robo Recall also have you throwing things all the time (Budget Cuts is particularly big on throw accuracy), and how often are you actually looking at your arm as you follow through?

Robo Recall and Space Pirate Trainer have you grabbing equipment off your back or belt all the time, not to mention guns in the environment, grabbing enemy robots by the handle as they're to your side, etc. Stuff that you do a lot of at high-speeds. Budget Cuts and Robo Recall also have you throwing things all the time (Budget Cuts is particularly big on throw accuracy), and how often are you actually looking at your arm as you follow through?

Most all of these motions can be taken care of using the sensors in the actual motion controllers. But, you're right, it remains to be seen.

Top Bottom