• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft announces Xbox Live cross-network (PSN and other networks) play

ps3ud0

They won't say that because, well, they are professionals and not childish.

The only time I can recall Sony being even remotely confrontational like that is during the initial PS4 marketing how how easy it was to let your friends play your games. (which was an awesome jab to the XB1)
Thats the point Im trying to make, Sony always allowed this so its jab to remind the public of that as well as inferring that MS still anywhere near as pro-consumer as they are. It just returns the spotlight on MS (if there is such spotlight from this announcement)

Perfect PR - they restate their position while potentially degrading MSs further by asking for further concessions.

ps3ud0 8)

Kayant

Not too keen on the language used in the announcement. Maybe I'm just cynical. Whenever the statement talks about PC games, it always says "Windows 10 with xbox live".
Does this mean it will only be supported on games in Windows 10 and not 8.1/7?
Does this mean that it will only be supported on games bought through the Windows 10 app store? Which they have also been talking about recently.

This all sounds a little too close to GfWL to me. Which was the last time they tried cross platform play iirc.

"Windows 10 with xbox live" - This is referring to when they first announced cross-play which was indeed limited to the Win store

No it's not limited to just Win 10 has per the OP XBL can now communicate with other PC/Console networks(e.g steam) which is what RL will be doing in spring which is available for Win 7-10 iirc.

watdaeff4

Thats the point Im trying to make, Sony always allowed this so its jab to remind the public of that as well as inferring that MS still anywhere near as pro-consumer as they are. It just returns the spotlight on MS (if there is such spotlight from this announcement)

Perfect PR

ps3ud0 8)

Lol, no, not really.

It's Childish PR catering to console warriors. Sony is above that. MS has done childish PR, but Sony rarely has.

And why would they 'fight back?' MS didn't attack Sony at all, just are saying they are willing to do it.

Perfect PR - they restate their position while potentially degrading MSs further by asking for further concessions.

ps3ud0 8)

Get out of the trenches, mate.

It's not healthy for you in there.

Oh can they play with Wii U players. Which game if you do not mind me asking?

Awesome move and very smart of Microsoft to be proactive and get there first with cross console play.

Its puts Sony in a position of looking like the villain if they simply refuse to play along.

Sony needs to respond to this and steps their online game up. This is a wonderful feature.

I can do this all day

Cross-Network/Platform games on PS4:

- Dreii - PlayStation 4, PS Vita, Wii U, PC, Mac, Linux, iOS and Android
- Pure Chess; Wii U, 3DS, iOS, Android and PS
- Cubemen 2; Wii U, Linux, Mac OS, PC and iOS.
- Atom Universe; PS4, PC
- Rocket League; PC, PS4
+More (but this is an example of the wide range of platforms that already supported cross-play. Microsoft is far from the first ones to support this. They are the last.

I don't see why Sony would say no when they already allow cross play with every other platform.

I can do this all day

Sony changes their mind all the time.

• Other OS
  • Free Online Play
  • # of offline authorized systems (5 -> 3 -> 1*)
  • Classics were always crossbuy until "PS2 on PS4" was released (I'm aware they added trophies, but whether or not that is worth the $10-$20 will vary from person to person)

Elandyll

Banned
Lol, no, not really.

It's Childish PR catering to console warriors. Sony is above that. MS has done childish PR, but Sony rarely has.

And why would they 'fight back?' MS didn't attack Sony at all, just are saying they are willing to do it.
#shrug

I don't see a need to "fight back"... Sony just needs to state that their policy is to have open networks for players with their 3rd party partners, including all platforms, and that they have had that for years.

#4theplayers thingy, done.

JaggedSac

It's amusing people are so focused on the PS4 to Xbox One stuff when this policy change is almost certainly more about making sure buying games through the Windows 10 store doesn't leave users orphaned from the larger Steam playerbase.

This person gets it. MS doesn't actually give a crap if Sony does anything.

• Other OS
  • Free Online Play
  • Classics were always crossbuy until "PS2 on PS4" was released (I'm aware they added trophies, but whether or not that is worth the $10-$20 will vary from person to person)

So your saying Sony are just going to randomly decide NO when they have been allowing cross play since PS2?

Rocket league is a pretty new game and Atom Universe which is in Alpha also has cross play with steam and PS4.

So your saying Sony are just going to randomly decide NO when they have been allowing cross play since PS2?

Rocket league is a pretty new game and Atom Universe which is in Alpha also has cross play with steam and PS4.

I'm not saying they will. I'm saying their past record shows that they can and will change their stance on something if it suits them.

Raysod

Banned
That’s great news and I would love to play with friends that have a game on other platforms, especially an MMO type of game.

With the Cross-Network Play interface Windows Store games can be compatible with Xbox Live servers (or other PC based digital platforms/networks, Steam etc).

I don’t think that Microsoft targets Sony PS players anyway, at least not at the beginning.

..... and.... what about the £30 Live subsection that I paid for last xmas ?
Its a bit unfair that I need to pay for Live, while PC players play with me for free :/

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
All they have to say is "we've always been open".

Yup.

• Other OS
  • Free Online Play

An asterisk need to be beside Free Online Play since:

Its still free on PS3
and F2P games dont need PS+ on PS4.

Yup.

An asterisk need to be beside Free Online Play since:

Its still free on PS3
and F2P games dont need PS+ on PS4.

Which is such an arbitrary rule it's laughable. "We're pretending this game is free to play, so you don't need to pay to play online, but this game that you paid $60 plus another $40 for the season pass requires gated online play".

Which is such an arbitrary rule it's laughable. "We're pretending this game is free to play, so you don't need to pay to play online, but this game that you paid $60 plus another $40 for the season pass requires gated online play".

Not really, they are just saying Free To Play is actually Free to Play, without the need of Plus for Free to Play titles...

Saul

Banned
"only has access to the 1st party marketplace" - I was reffering to this, and this is a key difference between PCs & consoles. You can't install another OS on consoles (never forget PS2 Linux ...).

The fact that it's useful in the living room is not an argument, as regular Windows PCs have been for a long time now.

P.S.: "with a fixed hardware configuration" - this part of the argument doesn't apply to Steam machines, either.

Well the "only has access to the 1st party marketplace" stays true with the SteamOS. You can install Windows, but then it's not running an OS that was designed for Controller usage.

This may change in the future, maybe Microsoft will make available the Xbox Dashboard UI of Windows 10 on all PCs. But that's not the case now, and that's one main reasons, why Windows PCs can't be considered gaming consoles at the moment (with the addition, that PCs aren't currently sold specifically for the living room market; Steam Machines are).

What we are seing, is that lines between classical gaming consoles and PCs are blurring. ^^

They're specifically designed for living room gaming.
That still doesn't make them consoles. They're open platforms that lack the closed environment of a console. If I don't like Steam OS, I can install Windows, I can run programmes and do all that fun stuff. Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo dictate what I can access via my console.

Is console a dirty word for PC users or something?
I don't even play games on PC, I'm just calling them what they are.

i-Jest

To see more of this going forward it'll be up to devs but consumers are also going to have to be vocal about wanting more of this kind of interaction too. I can see this happening for fighting games, maybe even shooters, if premium content available on one console doesn't put players on another console at to much of a disadvantage.

Saul

Banned
That still doesn't make them consoles. They're open platforms that lack the closed environment of a console. If I don't like Steam OS, I can install Windows, I can run programmes and do all that fun stuff. Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo dictate what I can access via my console.

As I said, lines are getting blurrier. I just point out the fact that they are being targeted for the living room gaming space and shipped with an OS optimized for usage on the couch. A default steam machine has much more in common with a gaming console than a PC.

Of course you can use them as a Windows PC, but that's not what they're designed to be.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Not really, they are just saying Free To Play is actually Free to Play, without the need of Plus for Free to Play titles...

Exactly. Compare that to MS where F2P requires Gold...

There's nothing arbitrary about that. Thats why I was just pointing out someone mentioning Sony charging for online multi player on PS4 needed an asterisk, thats all.

Top Bottom