• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft buys Havok from Intel, GAFfers tear skin off while screaming about endtimes

Nutter

i'm not aware of all the various physics engines out there. is havok generally considered the best?

but it doesn't really affect the person who wants to use it, does it? unless mS makes it more expensive to be licensed out?

Will you be mad if it does? If yes, then MS absolutely will use it the way you are speculating.

Rocketz

but it doesn't really affect the person who wants to use it, does it? unless mS makes it more expensive to be licensed out?

MS is in the business to make money. They want you using what they own. I can't see them jacking up the price on this with other 3rd party options being out there.

NolbertoS

Big news for console gaming. Just googled Havok's portfolio and there engine is mostly used for gaming. Anybody saying that MS bought it for the royalties is deluding themselves, they bought it to get more gaming exclusives. Of course this means Nintendo and Sony will have to partner up with somebody else. Why on earth would Sony or Nintendo pay royalties to the MS corporation?? That would be like Sony buying the UE4 engine and asking MS and Nintendo to pony up cash for royalties. With the minecraft license, I fully expect Nintendo and Sony to try to kill it off with there own version sometime in the future.

demigod

This is actually a pretty big deal, especially when you account for how shitty it's only competition, PhysX, tends to run on ATI hardware (aka the PS4).

Unless Microsoft plans to continue licensing it out to everyone, which seems unlikely.

Everything in this is wrong, get your facts straight.

charsace

I love the posts saying companies will just make their own physics engine. It isn't easy to make and integrate a simple physics engine with game. A one with the features of Havok would take a long time to make.

Vestal

Gold Member
Big news for console gaming. Just googled Havok's portfolio and there engine is mostly used for gaming. Anybody saying that MS bought it for the royalties is deluding themselves, they bought it to get more gaming exclusives. Of course this means Nintendo and Sony will have to partner up with somebody else. Why on earth would Sony or Nintendo pay royalties to the MS corporation?? That would be like Sony buying the UE4 engine and asking MS and Nintendo to pony up cash for royalties. With the minecraft license, I fully expect Nintendo and Sony to try to kill it off with there own version sometime in the future.

Unlike some would lead you to believe companies like MS and Sony cross license stuff all the time. Sony sells computers with Windows installed ffs. Microsoft is selling an Xbox one with a bluray drive.

People are panicked for nothing.

Unlike some would lead you to believe companies like MS and Sony cross license stuff all the time. Sony sells computers with Windows installed ffs. Microsoft is selling an Xbox one with a bluray drive.

People are panicked for nothing.

Sony sold off their PC division a few years ago.

Parham

Banned

What operating system do you think Sony and Nintendo use on their production machines?

SegaShack

Some of you guys are crazy. Hell Microsoft was at the Apple iPhone press event a few weeks ago. They are in the money business, not the fanboy business. They released Minecraft for PS4 and PS3 and support it as well. They also previously released some Nintendo DS games.

I guarantee you Sony and Playstation's headquarters all rely on Windows Server and that their workstations are Windows PCs.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
yes, but sony isn't the only shareholder of the blu ray disc association iirc. just the largest

Did you know Windows phones as well as most other phones use Sony camera and lense tech?

This should not be an issue. Third parties will still license as per usual. If MSFT tries to lock them down, it will just be a great opportunity for other solutions to rise up.

I doubt it will really affect much in the way that Havok is used or licensed for games. The royalties will just go to MS instead.

BTW, I love the title of this thread. Absolutely hilarious.

NolbertoS

The problem with Havok is none of there portfolio shows it being used in other major industried other than gaming. Obviously Sony the overall company sees it as a threat as it affects one of there divisions. Also doubt Sony uses only windows, with apple and the macs making inroads in the PC Market and Linux still the preferred OS for major corporations worried about competitor espionage.

Pimpbaa

Look how much shit samsung makes for apple in their ios devices, and yet they are one of their biggest competitors in the phone market. MS isn't going to want Havok to make way less money by limiting it to only xbox. Very little is going to change here other than who gets the money from Havok being in games.

xabbott

When I read the release it seemed pretty clear they bought this to enhance Azure as a platform. I assume it makes licensing the tech behind the Crackdown 3 multiplayer destruction easier. Or maybe provide something similar or more modular.

krang

When I read the release it seemed pretty clear they bought this to enhance Azure as a platform. I assume it makes licensing the tech behind the Crackdown 3 multiplayer destruction easier. Or maybe provide something similar or more modular.

Maybe it was expensive to get Havok, as a third party, to make the customisations that they needed for Crackdown (and whatever other cloud-physics stuff they have going on). If that's the case it might have been worthwhile to buy them, save that cash, and make a bit more from the existing licensing, too.

joecanada

Pretty much this.

Just because Microsoft now owns the right to the Havok physics engine doesn't mean it will only be used exclusively in Microsoft products.

There will still be 3rd party and even competing 1st party titles from Sony or Nintendo that could utilize that Havok engine.

This purchase isn't to prevent competitors from using it. It's to allow Microsoft to get a piece of the profits on any game it's used on.

Microsoft thinks in business to make money by additional means, not in fanboy rationalities with limited scope.

Exactly, Noone buys a business or product and then instantly thinks how can I limit the potential of this product? Especially not for consolewarz

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
This is a smart buy from Microsoft, and it won't change anything aside from the Xbox platform getting the best type of support since it's now owned by Microsoft. That still won't change anything as far as licensing Havok. Microsoft can make money licensing this tech, making its own games better, and using it for the cloud-based physics that they are working on with games like Crackdown 3.

Falcs

Banned
Well I guess it's ok. It could be a lot lot worse. What if it was Apple who bought it? Oh god help us...

Apathy

You have no idea how business work do you?

Businesses sell to their competitors all the time. A company does not spend millions to billions of dollars and limit their own market for spite. No company purchases a product and not try to recoup what it spent.

Omni

Lmao.

cameron

As we welcome Havok to the Microsoft family, we will continue to work with developers to create great gaming experiences, and continue to license Havok’s development tools to partners. We believe that Havok is a fantastic addition to Microsoft’s existing tools and platform components for developers, including DirectX 12, Visual Studio and Microsoft Azure.

It's a win for all devs. When Intel acquired Havok, the dev tools were made available for free. The move gave more devs access to it. Licensing fees only applied to commercial games. With MS, the DX SDK and VS Community are all free and well documented. As Havok becomes part of the toolset, I'd imagine MS will push for easier/better integration. The goal for MS would be to get more games to use Havok, regardless of platform.

sono

How long do the havok licenses last and what did they historically cost to renew (ballpark estimates) ?

Wow the fud in this thread. Microsoft aren't going to stop licensing havok. Yes it is currently the most popular physics solution because there has been no need for competition. However havok doesn't do anything special. Its just a physics engine that works. There are plenty of physics frameworks that could be adapted for gaming, most notably bullet physics. The only reason Microsoft would stop licensing havok was if it was special sauce that other companies couldn't copy and would give them a competitive advantage, but people don't buy havok games for the physics. Havok isn't enough to sell games its just a required component. It just force someone else to create a competitive competing physics package that could be used across all platforms, at which point Microsoft would just be loosing licensing money for no reason.

Look at physx, a competing product which arguably does a better job than havok. If NVIDIA wanted physx and the game works suite to be used across console and amd cards then they could license it out and I'd bet a significant chunk would use it over havok. Just look at valve, they created their own in house physics for source engine 2 called Rubikon, there's nothing difficult just typically easier to use havok.

Intel most likely want to cut staff count and make money. Havok has literally no bearing on any of intel products so it was a good sale

Also fucking hilarious comments in thread saying that Microsoft will just use it for themselves.

Spaghetti

anybody got that diagram with various microsoft business departments spread out as a spider diagram but they're all pointing guns at each other? yeah. that's exactly why this purchase means fucking nothing for non-microsoft games.

jesu

Maybe it was expensive to get Havok, as a third party, to make the customisations that they needed for Crackdown (and whatever other cloud-physics stuff they have going on). If that's the case it might have been worthwhile to buy them, save that cash, and make a bit more from the existing licensing, too.

And they will be trying to get other devs to use their cloud computing, it seems like they will be integrating Havok to that.

Calabi

Somebody has to own it, it might as well be Microsoft, they'l probably support it better than other's... or will they? They dont tend to support their projects that well. They probably have one specific reason and use for this and then it may end up forgotten. I'm just speculating though it's not the end of the world either way.

Somebody has to own it, it might as well be Microsoft, they'l probably support it better than other's... or will they? They dont tend to support their projects that well. They probably have one specific reason and use for this and then it may end up forgotten. I'm just speculating though it's not the end of the world either way.

Software wise MS always maintain their stuff well, they are world's most successful software company for a reason, it'll be fine.

Top Bottom