• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Earnings: 1.2 million Xbox One's shipped in Jan-Mar, 5.1M total (3.9+1.2)

That's not even close to a certainty for stating it so definitively. And I'm also not sure why people are so positive about that. I'm not saying it won't happen (by the Holiday certainly), but I'm just saying it's not so simple as all that. The Xbox division was tasked with NOT losing an inordinate amount of money, with making themselves consistently profitable. You pretty much throw an arrow at the heart of that if you try to charge $399.99 for Xbox One with Kinect as it is now; it's not an acceptable place for them to be from everything we know. Now they can throw out Kinect, but just joining price parity doesn't actually fix all the problems. Because they don't exist in a vacuum. They would need to offer something for $399.99 that says they are offering a better value than the next competitor at $399.99. If they toss out Kinect, say (and I'd approve), the value proposition is still $399.99 for two systems, but one is significantly more powerful, one has no negative indie policy, one doesn't put apps behind a paywall, one offers a bazillion free games if you subscribe, the other is still barely smoking by with their comparably paltry offerings. You see where I'm going with this? Microsoft needs to come up with some solution to the fact that they are just not being very competitive whatsoever right now.

Saying "Titanfall, Titanfall" a million times isn't going to do it. They either need to value-up their XBL service, offer a free game @ $399.99 (and then we're back to the losing money part), or offer some other promotion that appeals to people. Hitting price parity won't fix the issues by themselves.

I see where you're going, but I don't entirely agree.

For starters, the average consumer has no idea there is a power difference, and the XB1 also has features the PS4 doesn't, like the TV input, which I personally find kind of neat. So I do think it's got it's own offerings which make it appealing, and I think hitting exact price parity with Sony minus the Kinect will do a lot of good for the XB1 sales wise.

Daemul

Doesn't this directly contradict the 5m shipped number they were claiming a few days ago?

3m in 2013, 1.2 in the first three months of 2014 doesn't 5m make...

The 3m was sold to customers, they shipped 3.9m by the end of 2013. They've shipped a further 1.2m up to the end of March 3.9+1.2=5.1m. There is no contradiction.

Except in all the other countries MS expect X1 to bomb hard. That's why they didn't even try launching in them.

+ (many) local stores already offer some import-consoles, at least in european T2-countries. So, the people that really really wanted the XBone at launch already bought it.

e: So, the bomb will even be more severe. Don't expect a high impact on sales.

Miles X

5.86 million shipped, and assuming Xbox One shipments slow down now, it won't catch it until the holidays

They won't slow down to the rate of WiiU though. Q3 (Destiny + China + Other 26 countries launching, and it generally being a much better Q) will see it pass WiiU.

SighFight

NPD Jan - Mar 2014

143k - Jan
258k - Feb
311k - Mar
712k total NA sales

59% of sales in NA, not sure how that compares with 360 sales.

I'm working off remembered numbers for PS4 but NA is accounting for ~30-40% of sales, assuming ~1m per month.

This also means that 500k of that 1.2m sold-in WW might still be sitting stock.

And regards the 'PS4 is for sale in more countries', I'd put money on it that the PS4 has sold more in the same 13 territories than MS.

If 1.2 million is shipped in 2014. This leaves almost nothing for the rest of the world. From this perspective it seems US is the ONLY country they are selling anything.

DieH@rd

Banned
C'mon moderators, fix the thread title. They shipped 1.2mil [sold in] not sold to consumers [sold through].

400k shipments per month for Xbone... that's quite lower than what Sony is managing to do [~1 million sales to consumers per month].

They won't slow down to the rate of WiiU though. Q3 (Destiny + China + Other 26 countries launching, and it generally being a much better Q) will see it pass WiiU.

oh right, they're finally launching in other countries by Q3
then they'll pass Wii U by Q3 unless it gets a much larger than expected MK8 bump

I guess graphs are coming

Here's the first to arrive:

Count_Orlok1.jpg

So here's an interesting question

In the same timeframe, Sony has sold 7M to consumers, MS sold 5M to retailers

Even assuming that PS4 is completely sold out which it isn't really, unless MS has a drastically lower production contract than Sony, where are those 2M other XB1's?

600,000 in the front, 700,000 in the back, 400,000 in the boot and 300,000 in the ashtray.

So here's an interesting question

In the same timeframe, Sony has sold 7M to consumers, MS sold 5M to retailers

Even assuming that PS4 is completely sold out which it isn't really, unless MS has a drastically lower production contract than Sony, where are those 2M other XB1's?

Maybe they have more in their warehouses? Not really sure how it works, but retailers arent gonna buy more systems when there shelves are full of them.

3 million to end of 2013 was sold THROUGH. They shipped 3.9 in 2013

They announced 5M shipped in April though, so that adds some time.

The 3m was sold to customers, they shipped 3.9m by the end of 2013. They've shipped a further 1.2m up to the end of March 3.9+1.2=5.1m. There is no contradiction.

Ah, okay. I must have missed the 3.9m shipped numbers. Thanks for clearing that up.

Wereroku

If 1.2 million is shipped in 2014. This leaves almost nothing for the rest of the world. From this perspective it seems US is the ONLY country they are selling anything.

They had almost 900K in unsold stock at the end of 2013. So they have alot sitting on shelves everywhere.

Miles X

then they'll pass Wii U by Q3 unless it gets a much larger than expected MK8 bump

Q2 WiiU and XB1 could be on par, last year they only shipped 160k WiiU's ... so it's gonna nee a huuuuge boost.

Freki

NPD Jan - Mar 2014

143k - Jan
258k - Feb
311k - Mar
712k total NA sales

59% of sales in NA, not sure how that compares with 360 sales.
Assuming MS sold an addition of 50% of Na numbers ww that would put them at 1.06m ww sold through for q1.
This would mean 1.14m were sitting in warehouse at the end of q1 (up from 0.9m at the end of 2013)

Squalor

Those other countries won't mean much.

Microsoft has already launched the system in its biggest markets.

They do have to produce Kinect 2.0's as well with every system. Seems like it'd be a suitably more complex thing to do, as well as requiring bigger boxes and therefore less able to be shipped at a time. 30% seems about right.

Eh I have trouble believing that MS would lock in a year long [or longer] manufacturer contract that was 30% less than Sony's

The only thing I can think of if somehow Sony managed to produce more than originally planned

MS produced 3M consoles in what 3 months for launch? Like a million a month or so?

Maybe 4 months then 750k a month

In the first 3 months of march, MS produced 400k a month. Seems unlikely they have such a production drop planned unless they say demand falling so much lower while Sony somehow managed to see demand maintaining for the PS4

Who says they started production at the exact same time?

The difference is 2M consoles. Are we to believe that MS started like 3 months later because they wanted to?

Raide

Get that price drop incoming and still bundle Kinect. Then show off the games coming this year and beyond, just so people know it has a future and the sales will pick up.

PS4 still sold out? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KXrQYWbbIs#t=18s

I just checked Amazon, Gamestop, and Target. All have them online, and at all stores in my area (Northern Virginia)

If you haven't noticed, there is a world outside the US. The supply is still constrainted in europe and most Asian territories.

On topic: if my memory doesn't betray me, the PS4 was doing a million every month of this year on average, so the 2:1 ratio predictions aren't as far fetched as moat people expected.

darkwing

Get that price drop incoming and still bundle Kinect. Then show off the games coming this year and beyond, just so people know it has a future and the sales will pick up.

I would be surprised if they won't do an official price drop during E3

Take note tho that it was severely supply constrained over the launch Q (1.5m shipped compared to 3.9m XB1's)

They can never lie about these figures, they are what they are.

And this launch was during the launch of another popular console. So it evens out is some shape, form or fashion.

Yes, it is "sold" from the perspective of Microsoft financial reporting. The terminology is correct as it stands.

It's not correct, it only ensures MS's propaganda campaign continues to function when you have countless websites only the other week claiming there are now 5m Xbone's sold v 7m PS4s, all because of a simple bit of wordplay.

Anyway, surely the correct terminology here would be 'sold in'.

ymmv

Banned
+ (many) local stores already offer some import-consoles, at least in european T2-countries. So, the people that really really wanted the XBone at launch already bought it.

e: So, the bomb will even be more severe. Don't expect a high impact on sales.

Even the imported Xbox Ones don't sell out in tier 2 countries. I saw a stack of imported Xbox Ones in a local Mediamarkt, yet the PS4 was sold out.

In fact, the PS4 is still hard to get in many European countries five months later.

Drencrom

Sold = shipped.

Sold to consumer = sold to consumer.

Yes, it is "sold" from the perspective of Microsoft financial reporting. The terminology is correct as it stands.

It's blatantly obtuse wording from the PR meant to make people think it's sold to customers, better of just saying 'shipped'.

Shipped is sold.

No, sold means sold to customers, shipped means they sold them to retailers, which doesn't tell us how many consoles are actually sold to people. There's a reason why these fucking console manufactures says shipped instead of sold when their numbers aren't impressive.

TomShoe

Banned
I see where you're going, but I don't entirely agree.

For starters, the average consumer has no idea there is a power difference, and the XB1 also has features the PS4 doesn't, like the TV input, which I personally find kind of neat. So I do think it's got it's own offerings which make it appealing, and I think hitting exact price parity with Sony minus the Kinect will do a lot of good for the XB1 sales wise.

Average consumers may not be informed as we are, but they're not dumb. The Kinect works well and the TV input is a nice feature that PS4 doesn't have. That still doesn't make up the average perceived value gap between the two, and the market has proven that. Price parity would help, but it won't bridge the gap by itself.

Moneal

If the rate of sale to shipped in 2013 stayed the same through 2014. Xbox one would be around 3.9 million sold through.

xbox sold 3million out of 3.9 in 2013. around 77% sold

xbox one is at 5.1 million shipped as of march. 77% of 5.1 is 3.927million.

Top Bottom