• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft FY2015 Q2: 6.6M 360+XBO Shipped

Okay, so let's assume their megalomania wasn't triggered until the PS2. What hostile policies were born of that? There was no property removal system. Free multiplayer. No Netflix racket. Was it the massive hardware subsidies? Was it the fact that it cost $100 more than a similarly equipped XB360? Was it the inscrutable architecture? I'm seeing some boneheaded decisions here, but could you point me towards the evil?
The PS3 mistakes and awe full cocky sony attitude towards the consumer's reaction was in large part due to their overconfidence, and domination in past years.

Sorry, are you suggesting they dropped the price because of competition from the 360 and Wii, which had launched 3-4 years earlier? What happened in 2009 that suddenly turned those two in to a threat to the PS2? Isn't the more simple explanation that Sony 2009 is when Sony were able to reduce costs enough to hit that price point? Maybe the timing of the PS2 drop had more to do PS3 than the XB360; perhaps their losses on the PS3 were finally down to a point where they felt like they didn't need the extra $30/PS2 anymore. Like I said, you sell the hardware as close to cost as is reasonable, but if you're trying to get another product on its feet, "reasonable" may not be particularly close at all.
No, they dropped the price to make more money.
They are a company remember?
All I was saying is that if the PS2 had strong competition, then it may have reached lower prices sooner.
For example, Sony was willing to sell PS3 at a loss for years because they had to compete with Xbox and Wii.
If PS3 had dominated at $599, then you really think they would have dropped the price like they did?

If you want to make the argument that strong competition is required to trigger price drops, you need to show a more direct link than, "Well, other consoles were out there too." Like I said, it's in Sony's interest to sell the hardware as cheaply as possible, because games are where they make their money. The less money the consumer spends on hardware, the more money they have to spend on games. The less money the consumer the consumer spends on hardware, the more attractive the hardware becomes. The more attractive the hardware is, the more likely that the consumer buys it, and games to go with it. The sooner the consumer buys the hardware, the more games they will buy in the long run.
No, I never said that. I'm saying competition drives prices lower faster.
Why do ya think Xbone when from $500 to $330 + 2 games (BF) in just one year??
Competition.
A company who is a monopoly would still lower prices over time, but not as fast.

Let's say MS are buying their way to victory, and force Sony to take a $50 loss on the hardware to maintain sales. That would be pretty awesome, right? Cheap hardware is good, after all. Actually, that's sorta terrible, for both Sony and their customers. If they sell 15M units at a $50 loss, that's $750M down the drain. That's money they don't have to spend on Naughty Dog's space game, improving the network, etc. That affects not only the 15M who bought in at the reduced price, but also the 20M users who already had one, and the 30M+ users yet to come. Like I said, cheap hardware is good as a consumer, but you also don't want to let your short term greed damage your long term interests. It's nice to save money, but as a platform user, you also have a vested interest in the health and sustainability of the platform holder's business. Similarly, if your platform holder is forced to buy market share, that should be seen as worrisome.
IDK, they were losing brick tons last gen. with the PS3, and still managed to grow thier first party stable by a couple studios + growing ND to a much bigger size.

Basically, I'm saying that it should be a symbiotic relationship; you need them just as much as they need you. All you really care about is playing games, and all they really care about is making games. The hardware is just the "necessary evil" which allows all of this to take place. It's basically a barrier to entry, so it's in everyone's best interest for that barrier to be as low as possible. At the same time, the health of "the other guy" should be important to you as well. If the customer is taking a loss on the hardware, that's just money they now don't have available to spend on games, so what have you really gained? Effectively nothing, and you may have lost a potential customer in the process. If the platform holder is taking a loss on the hardware, that's just money they now don't have available to spend on games, so what have you really gained? Effectively nothing, and you may have lost a potential game in the process.
No you won't. If anything, competition will make the company need to make more games that are platform exclusive.
Also, what I said above about PS3....
These companies make plenty of money off of game, subscriptions, and accessories, so I wouldn't feel sorry for them not having enough money.
If they make more money, it usually just goes back into their pockets, not new games....Just look at Nintendo for example. How many new game studios did they open up during the Wii generation back when they were making bank like crazy?

I mean have you ever heard one of them announce "oh sorry, we are canceling this game because we are losing too much money on HW, or we are closing this studio because we can't make a profit on HW."

As I pointed out, there are complications which prevent price being tied directly to cost, but do you see where I'm coming from here? As a general rule, it's in everyone's best interest for the hardware to be sold at the lowest reasonable price. In the long run, no one really benefits from having it overpriced or underpriced, regardless of "competition."
If that was true, then why didn't Sony drop the PS4 price in the US for the holidays, or after that?
And while I'm sure they will likely drop it this year to keep up, I personally just don't see $299 yet.

Link? Parity has been required for all development on XBox for years. These policies are under heavy NDA, of course, but there's no indication whatsoever that they've been abandoned, and some indications that they haven't.
Um well Watchdogs and AC4 (like I said earlier) came with extra missions only for the playstation versions, and Destiny launched with extra content on disc only for the Playstation versions.

It is precisely true. First, the anonymous publisher told Eurogamer so in the linked article, and developers have specifically said that features which are not possible on XBox require Microsoft's approval before they can be included on other platforms. If you don't play ball, then you may not be permitted to publish on XBox.
Interesting. It wouldn't surprise me. Can I have a link plz? Like what sort of features?

On platform strengths, see above. On exceptions, yes, they are granted on a case by case basis, just as they are for launch parity. But in the end, Microsoft's word is final; if you don't agree to hold back your product on rival platforms, you may not be allowed to publish on theirs. The developer who specifically said he needed MS approval for PS features also said he was confident he could get such approval, but the feature was never spoken of again. Basically, you implement the feature on PlayStation, demo it for your MS rep, and hope he says, "Yeah, that's dumb. Do whatever you want." The problem is, sometimes he says, "This is amazing. You must never speak of it to anyone." If he does, you either eliminate the "strength," or you say goodbye to the XBox user base. Totally your call either way, of course. No pressure; MS don't need your petty royalties anyway, so whatever you decide is fine with them.
Also interesting. But I doubt they have much control over bigger games because they obviously need 3rd party support.
There is no way they could do that to publishers pushing big games like Cod, AC, Batman, or The Witcher, because to say "you can't publish on out platform" would be just as bad for them as for the publisher as it would give the competition a AAA exclusive for free. :p

This is probably just one of those policies they hung over Indy developers since they have less options, and need to launch on xbox more that xbox needed their game.

Of coarse I'm not condoning that behavior, but if I was making a MP game, I obviously wouldn't put extra time into making an awesome feature that only half of my userbase could use, and just give the middle finger to everyone who "chose the wrong platform".
Small things like using the PS4 touchpad to scroll maps, or using the X1 rumble triggers are fine, and have been done plenty in games, but it would be wrong in my opinion to go out and do a whole bunch of special stuff just for one platform as it alienates part of you userbase.

It's really easy to claim Sony Too™ but it's far more difficult to actually support it. Sony have dominated this industry since the day they joined it — apart from last gen — and they haven't displayed any of these behaviors at all. Microsoft have been doing this stuff for years, despite not dominating the market. Their biggest success in the console space yet — having the slowest-selling console in Gen7 — gave them enough confidence to take away our used and rental games, and when we complained, they literally responded with "Have you seen Titanfall? Nuff said. Conversation over."
So my example doesn't count as anticonsumer?
I'm sure I could find more examples if I dig a little ;p
Sorry, but the idea that Sony are just as bad as MS — or are just one success away from turning in to MS — is pure, unadulterated bullshit. Haters gonna hate, Microsoft gonna Microsoft, and Sony gonna Sony.
Like I said, they are a company just like any other.
It seems like they have a special place in your heart, and so you probably feel like I'm insulting you personally whenever I insult them. I'm not though. I'm just saying watch out because they can be just as bad as anyone else, and if you become too attached, then you will become blind/oblivious to whenever they try to skrew you over.
Sort of like how when your in love with someone you tend to overlook their faults, and put them up on this high pedestal to where they can do no wrong.

chithanh

Banned
All I know is you guys are saying MS data is hard to believe.
No we didn't. We actually said:

I agree those were the estimates put forth, yes. I also agree that both estimates are likely close enough to the truth that neither would be considered "very misleading" and put them on the hook for a possible false advertising suit. I also agree that both estimates were made in good faith.
I have pointed to specific circumstances which make it appear possible (not necessarily likely) that Microsoft overtracked their sales.
You have been caught several times in this thread fabricating nonsensical claims and attributing them to us. I consider this very poor conduct in an argument.

Ricky_R

I'm not trying to say my estimation is right. I've always said its an estimation. even if you read the original post on page 10 you see I make a clear distinction between what is hard data and what is estimate. But I estimate has nothing to do with the last few pages.

All I know is you guys are saying MS data is hard to believe.

Overall its Not a clever thing to say without evidence.

You don't see anyone in the Sony 18.5m thread saying its hard to believe Sony or that there number probably isnt right etc... yet you're using that argument in order to say MS is wrong

You do know that they say OVER 18.5m and 3.0m right. Thats the key word. They're not providing an exact number, they are saying over.

Anyway im out.

But they've said time and time again why they believe MS's numbers might be a bit more sketchy, whether it's accurate or not. You have been ignoring that for some reason.

ZhugeEX

Banned
But they've said time and time again why they believe MS's numbers might be a bit more sketchy, whether it's accurate or not. You have been ignoring that for some reason.

Its not accurate though is it.

Both of them have only bought this up in the MS thread but not the Sony thread. Its because they both actually believe that MS is wrong about 3m and that the number they gave us is too high. Just read their posts. They infer that Sony's numbers are more believeable and therefore can't be wrong.

Its a terrible case they're making. Why are they so obsessed with letting me know that MS can be wrong and Sony is right? It makes no sense.

At the end of the day, MS sold over 3m and Sony sold over 18.5m. These are official numbers and cannot be disputed.

chithanh

Banned
Its because they both actually believe that MS is wrong about 3m and that the number they gave us is too high.
So now you accuse us of publicly saying that Microsoft's number can be right, while we are secretly believing that it can't be right?

Just read their posts. They infer that Sony's numbers are more believeable and therefore can't be wrong.
If you had actually read what serversurfer wrote, then you would know that he said that Sony's number can be wrong as well as Microsoft's.

If you had read what I wrote, then I described the specific retail situation which made it harder for Microsoft to arrive at the correct number. While the situation for Sony made it actually easier to arrive at the correct number.

At the end of the day, MS sold over 3m and Sony sold over 18.5m. These are official numbers and cannot be disputed.
And I say that PR statements are not infallible gospel. We can and should look at each individually and see how much it holds up to scrutiny.

ZhugeEX

Banned
I will say again

Sony sold over 18.5m units by end of cy2014.
Microsoft sold over 3.0m by end of cy2013

Anyone who says they can prove otherwise or disagrees with the above is wrong.

You are right here, but just not looking at it the right way. Necessity IS created by an unfulfilled need. Companies need/want money. They get money by making and selling successful products. If you have competition for you type of project, then when you go to make a new product (in the same field), you know you need to not only improve upon the old model of your product, but also have to make it better than whatever the competition, which will drive innovation faster.
I see where you're coming from, but I think you're being a bit cynical. Sure, there are those who feel compelled to innovate just to earn money or otherwise "win," but there are those to innovate just for the sake of innovation. Sure, they get paid for their efforts too, but it's not always about what the other guy is doing. Sure, prosperous times can lead to complacency, which opens the door for your competitors, but I disagree that pressures such as this actually speed innovation. Either you have a brilliant idea or you don't. The guy who invented Velcro did so because he got a bur on his sock and went, "Oh, duh." Not because there was a space race going on.

The real point is, in a competitive marketplace, all of this stuff balances out. If the market leader doesn't let complacency take over and continue to innovate, then they deserve to stay on top. If a competitor comes up with a brilliant innovation, they deserve to be rewarded appropriately. As long as there's nothing to throw off the balance, the best competitors will prevail, and not only is that okay, it's preferred.

Anyways, I'm done arguing this one. You think Sony could handle a monopoly, and it would be better for everyone.
I say bullcrap, that a monopoly would be bad for the gaming industry as one company could control everything, and that no matter how 'good' they are, they will corrupt eventually.
We just gonna have to agree to disagree on this one.
Again, it's easy to claim Sony Too™ but much harder to support it. You feel comfortable disagreeing because you don't feel compelled to support your FUD with anything more substantial than, "It could happen." Well, sure, it could, so we should keep a wary eye, but that doesn't mean supporting the company we know wants to fuck up the market balance.

Cthulhu for President! Aren't you tired of always choosing the lesser evil?

Like I said, entering the market is not as easy as you seem to think.
Well, no kidding. Every business has a cost of entry, and some are higher than others. That's just a fact of life. A business may be somewhat exclusive by nature, but anti-competitive behavior by existing players just makes those conditions all the worse.

You put them up on too high of a pedestal. They are a company. They don't want to be your 'buddy', they want your money just like everyone else, and will do whatever it takes to get that.
As a business owner, I find your gross generalization to be rather offensive, and if you truly feel that way, I would recommend you find new people to do business with, because it seems you've been choosing poorly.

Activision's president who has been in the industry for 20+ years was commenting on how game development cost have gone up every single generation, (which includes the PS1-PS2 generation). And he said that cost were rising for this generation as well (Despite them releasing on the same amount of platforms as last gen.)
The truth is that the new technology is what has increased development cost so much, and these rising cost have caused a domino effect with midsize devs closing down, companies milking DLC, and Micro-transactions in just about every other AAA game.
Keep in mind Activision have an interest in both crying about their costs and hyping just how extravagant their extravaganzas are. That said, yes, as graphics improve, it takes more to produce them, and ditto for game engines, but you can't argue that the need to develop multiple engines simultaneously doesn't also substantially increase cost and complexity. Like I said, doing two at once just magnifies all of the issues you cite here.

It should be common sense that it doesn't take 100 extra people just to port a game to another console…
Then why do multi-plat teams tend to be so much larger? On really big projects, ports are often handled by entirely separate studios. Do you suppose that's cheap?

If it was SOOO much cheaper to launch just on one console, then why don't we see more exclusives? And even with the PS4 having a 2-1 lead, developers are still launching games on the Xbone because they know that the amount of money required to do a decent port is far less than the extra money they will make from the ~10M users.
Well, it seems like as PS4 increases its lead, we are starting to see more exclusives, especially from smaller studios where resources are more limited. It's also starting to manifest in larger titles like Street Fighter; another title seemingly held back by feature parity last generation, as a matter of fact.

The reason 3rd party games have a bigger budget than 1st party games is because they have a larger audience to sell too, and so they can afford to spend more money on the game because they know that they can make it back.
With first party games, you are only selling to 1/2 or less of the audience of a 3rd party game, so you can't have as big of a budget.

That's why we don't see massive titles like a Skyrim or GTA V launch as an exclusive. They are more expensive not because they are launching on multiple platforms, but because they are simply bigger games -- and they can afford to be bigger more expensive games because they have a bigger audience to sell too.
Except, that doesn't really apply so much in a lopsided market, which was the point I was making originally; we all benefit from a lopsided market, from developers to gamers. No, GTA5 couldn't afford to launch as an exclusive, because it launched in to a split market. GTA3 could, because it launched in to a lopsided market. PS2 got a lot of exclusives just by virtue of being the dominant platform. A game could be made by a single team instead of a team and a half, likely sooner and at higher quality, hit 100M users, and if they were successful, they might hire someone to port their game to the smaller platforms while they got started on the sequel. You see a lot of multi-platform support right now because not too long ago we were tied at 0M units and studios were already geared for multi-plat development from last generation. As PS4 extends its lead, there will be less and less reason to launch day and date on XBox. That will manifest with the smallest games from the smallest studios first, and trickle up to larger games from larger devs. The people laid off from the porting departments will just go out and form indy studios to make even more games for us. :)

Do you at least see my point?
I see what you're trying to say, but really, it's just an argument in favor of a lopsided market. The split market is what dictates multi-platform support, and multi-platform support increases cost and reduces quality, which causes game devs to play it safe instead of experiment, and overall increases the risk of catastrophic failure of the entire studio. That's in no way a win for anyone, dude. lol

I couldn't get team sizes for IW or Dice, but if you know, then please tell…
To be honest, I've looked in the past, and it's kind of hard to find apples-to-apples comparisons, but my Google Fu may be weak. I just get the impression that multi-plat teams are larger because I hear about Sony's teams, and I think, "Wow, that's a lot of dudes." When I hear about Acti and Ubi teams, I usually think, "Holy fuck." lol It makes sense to me though, because I know how hard it is to get even a comparatively simple application up and running, so when you scale that up to the level of something like a full game, trying to develop and maintain two versions simultaneously would be a significant undertaking, if not downright daunting. To some extent, it will depend on the tools you're using, but even if your tools do have strong multi-plat support, the more complex your project, the less likely it will be you can tick the "Also build for XBox" checkbox and have it just work. Ironically, this also has the effect of stifling innovation, because it discourages ambition; every time you reach a little higher, your second build target pulls you back to Earth that much harder. Actually, this is probably even more true for the larger teams who are using custom engines rather than something like Unreal.

Dude, it is as simple as having 2-3 coders working to optimize one version, while the other 2-3 work to optimize the other. (2-3 extra people don't cost that much).
It may not seem like it, but doubling the number of guys working on the engine can actually be pretty significant.

And developers usually do not care to take advantage of platform specific features because it would just be extra work for them that would likely end up earning them zero extra dollars unless it is something significant that they can replicate on both platforms.
Like I said earlier, if a developer really wants to do that, then they have the freedom to, and there are some examples such as Tomb Raider DE, where the developers added some extra features that took advantage of both PS4 and X1 exclusive features! Nobody is going to veto the developers right to do that. Microsoft's policy was just the the game had to have the same content on the disc, not that they couldn't utilize other platform's specific tech like the Wii's motion control stuff.
Except, a lot of developers do take pride in their work, and others just get off on inventing stuff, so they can and do strive to make use of every advantage they can get their hands on. And Microsoft can and do veto those additional efforts if they feel it would bring them too much shame. See below.

Any error in their tracking estimates is not going to be big enough to matter as they are fairly accurate.
I mean seriously, if you are a sales analyst working for sony to try and project how many consoles they need to make in 2015 to keep up with demand, and they give you 13.5m as a sell through for last year, you can use that they estimate that they will likely need (for example) 16.5m units for this year based on a 22% rise from first to second year. And even if lets say their tracking was 100k off and they only sold 13.4 in 2014, then that would mean that your projection would only be off by ~150k for the whole year which is not bad.
Looking at last year's sales to roughly predict next year's sales strikes me as a fairly reasonable extrapolation. What I objected to was taking a relatively small period of sales in a relatively small number of countries — measured at launch — and then using that sample to declare a minimum sold through a relatively large amount of time later, and over a relatively large number of countries.

The PS3 mistakes and awe full cocky sony attitude towards the consumer's reaction was in large part due to their overconfidence, and domination in past years.
Like I said, there were certainly some boneheaded business decisions and PR quotes — though to be fair, many of those statements were twisted pretty severely by the media — but again, I'm not really seeing any anticompetitive or anti-consumer policies.

All I was saying is that if the PS2 had strong competition, then it may have reached lower prices sooner.
Or maybe the price would've remained higher, because they weren't building as many, so they couldn't get them as cheaply. ;)

For example, Sony was willing to sell PS3 at a loss for years because they had to compete with Xbox and Wii.
If PS3 had dominated at $599, then you really think they would have dropped the price like they did?
Well, yes, because eventually they would have exhausted the pool of buyers willing to buy in at that price point. Again, the price of the hardware serves as a barrier to entry. Who benefits from a high barrier?

No, I never said that. I'm saying competition drives prices lower faster.
Why do ya think Xbone when from $500 to $330 + 2 games (BF) in just one year??
Competition.
Except that's not competition. It's an indication that their brand is failing. As I explained before, buying market share is an indication that your product doesn't offer a strong value proposition. If it did, there would be no need to buy sales. Competitions have winners, and you ain't it. And as we discussed earlier, a competitive market is one where everyone is rewarded by merit, and deep pockets don't really qualify as merit, when the real goal is fostering innovation. There's nothing particularly innovative about busting out the checkbook. We want to see a competition, not Paul Allen paying the refs to spot 10 points to the 'hawks, right?

IDK, they were losing brick tons last gen. with the PS3, and still managed to grow their first party stable by a couple studios + growing ND to a much bigger size.
Sure, but imagine what they could've done if they weren't taking a $300 loss per unit. Yes, they had studio growth in Gen7, but nothing like the growth they had in Gen5 and Gen6. Which actually shoots another hole in your "successful Sony = lazy Sony" theory. :p

If they make more money, it usually just goes back into their pockets, not new games….Just look at Nintendo for example. How many new game studios did they open up during the Wii generation back when they were making bank like crazy?
As I just pointed out, that wasn't the case with Sony when they were on top. That's where the term moneyhat even comes from; Sony's proclivity to fund games no one else was even interested in supporting. Just look at all the crazy stuff they've produced over the years, and that peaked during the PS2 era.

I mean have you ever heard one of them announce "oh sorry, we are canceling this game because we are losing too much money on HW, or we are closing this studio because we can't make a profit on HW."
lol Well, no, they're not really going to announce it in those terms. Instead, those games simply won't get started in the first place, because there's no surplus in the budget to cover the costs. If they weren't taking such a big loss on the hardware, we may have gotten TLoU and ND's space game, or maybe another game from Bend or Psygnosis, or something risky and cool from a new studio.

If that was true, then why didn't Sony drop the PS4 price in the US for the holidays, or after that?
And while I'm sure they will likely drop it this year to keep up, I personally just don't see $299 yet.
Well, like I said, it's more complicated than tying the price directly to the cost. First, there are R&D costs to recover. Also, some stuff needs money today, like PSN. Etcetera, etcetera. Also, there's consumer psychology to consider as well, as I mentioned earlier. A single, large price cut can actually produce more sales overall than a series of smaller cuts.

Interesting. It wouldn't surprise me. Can I have a link plz? Like what sort of features?
"Minority Report" controller-less gestures in the RTS EndWar. Basically, you could control the entire game just by talking to it and waving your hands around. The gestures couldn't be done on XBox because there was no suitable stand for the camera, so it only had the "standard" configuration of voice controls backed by a gamepad. Link 1 Link 2 You may think that sounds dumb or whatever, but apparently MS though it was cool enough that it needed vetoing, and apparently they'd vetoed enough stuff in the past it was worth mentioning he needed Microsoft's permission, even though he thought they'd let it slide.

Also interesting. But I doubt they have much control over bigger games because they obviously need 3rd party support.
There is no way they could do that to publishers pushing big games like Cod, AC, Batman, or The Witcher, because to say "you can't publish on out platform" would be just as bad for them as for the publisher as it would give the competition a AAA exclusive for free. :p
Well, do you consider EndWar and Street Fighter to be big games from major publishers? How about Diablo? Maybe AC:parity? How many copies did Parity sell on the Bone? 5M? That's like $45M in royalties for MS. You don't think MS would gladly risk giving up $45M to avoid another performance shaming? You say polices like these mostly affect "little guys" like indies. First, I'm not sure why that makes it better in any way at all, but more to the point, MS kinda see everyone as "the little guy."

Of coarse I'm not condoning that behavior, but if I was making a MP game, I obviously wouldn't put extra time into making an awesome feature that only half of my user base could use, and just give the middle finger to everyone who "chose the wrong platform".
Small things like using the PS4 touchpad to scroll maps, or using the X1 rumble triggers are fine, and have been done plenty in games, but it would be wrong in my opinion to go out and do a whole bunch of special stuff just for one platform as it alienates part of you user base.
Like I said, it has nothing to do with alienating users and everything to do with taking advantage of a platform's strengths. If a feature is not possible or not allowed on your platform, well, tough shit. No one is punishing you. It's not about half-assed efforts. Shit's just not possible. Them's the breaks. Take it up with your platform holder. The punishment/crime would be holding back the more capable platform simply so the public at large don't become aware it's more capable.

So my example doesn't count as anti consumer?
I'm sure I could find more examples if I dig a little ;p
The fact that you need to dig for examples to attempt to counter the laundry list of complaints against MS should tell you everything you need to know. :p

Like I said, they are a company just like any other.
It seems like they have a special place in your heart, and so you probably feel like I'm insulting you personally whenever I insult them. I'm not though. I'm just saying watch out because they can be just as bad as anyone else, and if you become too attached, then you will become blind/oblivious to whenever they try to skrew you over.
Sort of like how when your in love with someone you tend to overlook their faults, and put them up on this high pedestal to where they can do no wrong.
lol No, I don't take it personally. I just find your accusations to be unfounded at best. And there's nothing unusual about feeling loyalty towards those who treat you right and animosity towards those who treat you wrong, whether individuals or groups of individuals. Do you really feel like you don't have a good relationship with any of the businesses you deal with? You walk away from every single interaction feeling like somebody got screwed, and it was probably you? =/

And yeah, sometimes you get burned, like my ex-wife, who turned out to be a bit of a sociopath. Guess what. I stopped associating with her too. ;)

chithanh

Banned
So you agree that MS sold over 3m and Sony sold over 18.5m?
I agree that 3M and 18.5M are the best estimates that we have and are not contradicted by any facts that are publicly known.

However a closer look at the 3M number turns up issues. There is a conceivable scenario, however unlikely one may think it is, in which the number is not accurate.

Do I think the numbers are possibly correct? Yes.
Do I think the numbers are probably correct? Yes.
Am I absolutely sure that the numbers are fully accurate and no doubt is possible at all? No, for the reasons that serversurfer and I explained in the thread. Multiple times.

Gestault

I agree that 3M and 18.5M are the best estimates that we have and are not contradicted by any facts that are publicly known.

However a closer look at the 3M number turns up issues. There is a conceivable scenario, however unlikely one may think it is, in which the number is not accurate.

Do I think the numbers are possibly correct? Yes.
Do I think the numbers are probably correct? Yes.
Am I absolutely sure that the numbers are fully accurate and no doubt is possible at all? No, for the reasons that serversurfer and I explained in the thread. Multiple times.

If someone wanted to demonstrate how odd your reaction to this information is, it would just take a look at a post like this.

ZhugeEX

Banned

That's all I want to hear. Let me highlight a bit of your post in bold.

You say in your first sentence that 3m and 18.5m is not contradicted by facts publicly known, now you say here there are issues which means 3m is not accurate.

This is a contradiction. You cannot 100% prove that Microsoft gave us a higher number. But you say that the number is not accurate.

It's also a stupid argument, which again makes you come across as a fanboy as you're inferring that MS number will be wrong. You couldn't accept it in earlier posts and even asked me to prove 3m was sold through. It's a weird reaction and only one a fanboy can have. Sorry to say.

chithanh

Banned
This is a contradiction. You cannot 100% prove that Microsoft gave us a higher number. But you say that the number is not accurate.
This is not a contradiction from my part, as I did not say that "the number is not accurate". I said that the number is potentially not accurate, which is quite a different thing.

That the number 3.0M and 18.5M is not contradicted by any facts publicly known means that they are potentially correct (remember Thomas Paine?). Because if they were contradicted by a fact, they would be certainly incorrect.

Yes, a number can both be potentially accurate and potentially inaccurate at the same time. And we can check what circumstances affect their accuracy in a positive and what circumstances affect their accuracy in a negative way.

Your idea that purported numbers are either 100% absolutely proven or wrong is a false dichotomy. Until you understand that, you will not see my point.

Yes, a number can both be potentially accurate and potentially inaccurate at the same time. And we can check what circumstances affect their accuracy in a positive and what circumstances affect their accuracy in a negative way.
Schrödinger's NPD, basically.

You don't see anyone in the Sony 18.5m thread saying its hard to believe Sony or that there number probably isnt right etc... yet you're using that argument in order to say MS is wrong
are there really substantial amounts of people believing sony is lying/off about their numbers?

chithanh

Banned
I think not, why should there be? There is no reason to assume that Sony (or Microsoft for that matter) lied in their PR statement.

Also we have reports from early January that PS4 was out of stock in parts of Europe, and US retail insiders said on GAF that Sony shipments arrive just in time to replace sold consoles. Both reports indicate that Sony has a pretty good idea how many PS4s they were selling through at the time.

I think not, why should there be? There is no reason to assume that Sony (or Microsoft for that matter) lied in their PR statement.

Also we have reports from early January that PS4 was out of stock in parts of Europe, and US retail insiders said on GAF that Sony shipments arrive just in time to replace sold consoles. Both reports indicate that Sony has a pretty good idea how many PS4s they were selling through at the time.

why is it talked about so much then? Should it be assumed that it is only fanboys in denial claiming the numbers are wrong?

ZhugeEX

Banned
why is it talked about so much then? Should it be assumed that it is only fanboys in denial claiming the numbers are wrong?

Pretty much. The very small number of people who said that 18.5m was too high for PS4 and couldn't believe it were branded fanboys in the Sony thread. I don't see why the same shouldn't apply for the small number of people in this thread who doubt an official microsoft number.

Thankfully chithanh seems to be making some more reasonable posts where he can actually admit that MS and Sony have official press releases with these figures written down and so we can't automatically assume that MS or Sony's number must be different.

At the end of the day, MS and Sony have both provided us with sell through figures for their console at multiple points. They would not release these figures unless they've actually sold that amount (hence the use of the phrase "Over x amount") So there is no reason to say these numbers may be wrong or will be wrong or are wrong, like some members here have been saying in past posts.

Verendus

Banned
VBVuiMP.gif

chithanh

Banned
There is no reason to assume that Sony (or Microsoft for that matter) lied in their PR statement.
Now we're getting somewhere.
Er what? That was what we said all the time. Repeated it in post after post, in this very thread.
I agree those were the estimates put forth, yes. I also agree that both estimates are likely close enough to the truth that neither would be considered "very misleading" and put them on the hook for a possible false advertising suit. I also agree that both estimates were made in good faith.
Also note that I did not claim that Microsoft intentionally mislead anybody, which would be criminal.

Edit:
Thankfully chithanh seems to be making some more reasonable posts where he can actually admit that MS and Sony have official press releases with these figures written down and so we can't automatically assume that MS or Sony's number must be different.
Um. My stance on the whole issue has not changed at all since I started to post in this thread. Never I said that we can assume that the number must be different from the official figure.

I'll try to say it in plain English, maybe it becomes clearer to you. Consider three statements:
1. We know that the numbers are correct.
2. We don't know that the numbers are correct.
3. We know that the numbers are not correct.
These three statements are all different. While serversurfer and I have made statements of the second kind, pointing to issues that make us have a more cautious view on Microsoft's numbers, you repeatedly accused us of making statements of the third kind, fabricating claims about PR number falsehood that we never made.

ZhugeEX

Banned
Er what? That was what we said all the time. Repeated it in post after post, in this very thread.

Your posts on the page before then were full of "MS must have sold less than 3m" and crap like that.

I know deep down you don't actually believe the 3m number though, after you tried to get me to prove it..... what a laughable thing to do.
Using your own logic, can you please prove to me that Blackberry sold through 2 million units to end users last quarter? Because that's a very high number and the hard data we have accounts for less than 500k. I find it hard to imagine Blackberry sold that much so I'm going to say Blackberry overestimated. Unless YOU! YES YOU chithanh can prove to me that Blackberry sold through 2 million units worldwide. If you can't prove it to me then well I can say that it's likely Blackberry are wrong because there is no way they can sell through 2m.

chithanh

Banned
Your posts on the page before then were full of "MS must have sold less than 3m" and crap like that.
Please provide a quote where I said that. If I actually said that, then I will retract my statement and apologize. If you cannot find such a quote, I expect that you retract your statement and apologize.

I know deep down you don't actually believe the 3m number though, after you tried to get me to prove it..... what a laughable thing to do.
I did never try to get you to prove it. I just asked you to assign made up numbers that don't contradict the facts. In retrospect it was indeed laughable to ask anything from you in that post.

I see where you're coming from, but I think you're being a bit cynical. Sure, there are those who feel compelled to innovate just to earn money or otherwise "win," but there are those to innovate just for the sake of innovation. Sure, they get paid for their efforts too, but it's not always about what the other guy is doing. Sure, prosperous times can lead to complacency, which opens the door for your competitors, but I disagree that pressures such as this actually speed innovation. Either you have a brilliant idea or you don't. The guy who invented Velcro did so because he got a bur on his sock and went, "Oh, duh." Not because there was a space race going on.

ha ha seriously? I never knew that.

Anyways, I don't have the time or energy to continue this debate, and I already feel bad for dragging us so far off topic which is supposed to be just discussing sales, so maybe we can continue this some other day, but for now I'm done.

It may not seem like it, but doubling the number of guys working on the engine can actually be pretty significant.

EDIT: One thing that I would like to say though, is that I still don't know where your getting this notion that it takes a significant amount of people to port a game to a different platform, and that they use a different engine for different platforms?
If you can provide a link with some hard evidence, then I will be fine with this, but otherwise, this just seems ridiculous.

And also, I will say (before you do) that doing a cross gen port is different as it requires more assets (that are lower res) to be made for everything since older consoles to run it. That means character/environment models with lower poly counts, lower res textures, lower res effects, and 'cheaper' lighting effects. That is why it can take a whole team to do a port such as titanfall.

But if you can give me a link about how porting from X1-PS4 requires a significant amount of people, or a completely different engine for each console then by all means please share.

ZhugeEX

Banned
Please provide a quote where I said that. If I actually said that, then I will retract my statement and apologize. If you cannot find such a quote, I expect that you retract your statement and apologize.

Ok.

We have spent the last few pages of this thread explaining to you why we think that one of the numbers is maybe too high.

there are issues which introduce uncertainties with the number

The issues which cast doubt on Microsofts numbers do not cast doubt on Sony

Microsoft possibly overtracked their sell-through.

XB1 3.0M cumulative sold-through until the end of December 2013 is surprisingly high given other data that is available.

This is why we doubt the 3.0M and not the 18.5M

I said that the same information which makes Microsoft's numbers suspect does not apply to Sony.

Microsoft's numbers are possibly off because of other information which is difficult to reconcile with their claims.

I think we have established that there is no way that they could have gotten them from a credible external source (GfK/NPD). Microsoft maybe overtracked this number by 100-200k.

Now on to Microsoft's 3.0M. This number strikes as pretty high.

Yes I've taken your quotes out of context. I'm not going to post everything.

And the above doesn't even include serversurfers posts who thankfully has dropped the issue now but was also claiming that Microsoft couldn't have sold through 3m.

Gestault

[Re: MS Must have sold less than 3 Million] Please provide a quote where I said that. If I actually said that, then I will retract my statement and apologize. If you cannot find such a quote, I expect that you retract your statement and apologize.

You persistently made the point that you doubted the numbers, but couldn't actually substantiate it. Which gradually led to the point where you believe it wise to doubt them, on the premise that it could potentially be untrue.

chithanh said:
In the case of Microsoft day-1 sell-through, I think we have established that there is no way that they could have gotten them from a credible external source (GfK/NPD).

I said that Microsoft's numbers are possibly off because of other information which is difficult to reconcile with their claims.
I said that the same information which makes Microsoft's numbers suspect does not apply to Sony.

I think I pointed out why these numbers appear too high for me.

What was said is that Microsoft's sold-through statements on day 1 and for 2013 have issues which cast doubt on their accuracy.

The fact that one number is subject to issues is not dependent on who purported it.

XB1 3.0M cumulative sold-through until the end of December 2013 is surprisingly high given other data that is available. Plus we are looking at an unusual situation for retail (grey imports).

This is why we doubt the 3.0M and not the 18.5M.

I have three issues with Microsoft selling 600K in 9 countries in 2013, all not adequately explained so far,

Akin to Dan Barker's "Easter Challenge", maybe I can motivate you (or anybody else who thinks that 3M is an undisputable fact) to fill in the below missing numbers in a way you think is reasonable.

The issues which cast doubt on Microsofts numbers (grey imports, day 1 statement, Spain sales) do not cast doubt on Sony.

Now on to Microsoft's 3.0M. This number strikes as pretty high, which in itself is not reason enough for doubt, but dictates that we should take a closer look. If we break down by region we are left with 600k unaccounted for in 9 countries. All fine so far. But now we learn that Spain is only 35k of that. This now creates a real problem if we look at the sales distribution in the other countries.

chithanh

Banned
Ok.

Yes I've taken your quotes out of context. I'm not going to post everything.

In none of these quotes I said that Microsoft's numbers must be wrong.

You persistently made the point that you doubted the numbers, but couldn't actually substantiate it. Which gradually led to the point where you believe it wise to doubt them, on the premise that it could potentially be untrue.
Having doubts about the accuracy of the numbers is not the same as claiming that they are wrong. And the doubts were accompanied by pointing to actual issues that might negatively affect the accuracy of the numbers.

ZhugeEX

Banned
Having doubts about the accuracy of the numbers is not the same as claiming that they are wrong.

The point that gestault is making is that you have all these doubts but don't have any evidence to confidently say that the number could be wrong. Instead you're guessing it could be wrong and using the argument "well no sell through number is exact".

The fact that both Sony & MS say "Over x amount" shows they are confident in this number. They are not giving an exact number, in fact they're giving us a minimum of what the actual number they've arrived at is. whether that's 18.51m or 18.56m. All they say is over 18.5m.

Also, you've tried to say that the data we have doesn't add up to 3m for MS and it's unlikely the missing data will add up to 3m.... welll.... I can say the same thing about Sony if you want me to? Because at the end of the day we can't prove Sony's number in the same way that we can't prove MS's number, but you use this as proof to doubt MS's number but say Sony are likely to be correct with no error.

Do you not see how stupid the last few pages of arguing back and forth has been? All because you can't accept that MS would actually have sold through 3 million units back in 2013....

Also, you still haven't proved to me Blackberry have sold 2m worldwide. I'm starting to have major doubts they even sold 1m to be honest. Unless YOU can prove that Blackberry did indeed sell 2m worldwide? Blackberry doesn't sell many phones in China or the USA any more which are the two biggest markets in the world? So how did they sell 2m new phones? Plz answer!

Pretty much. The very small number of people who said that 18.5m was too high for PS4 and couldn't believe it were branded fanboys in the Sony thread. I don't see why the same shouldn't apply for the small number of people in this thread who doubt an official microsoft number.

At the end of the day, MS and Sony have both provided us with sell through figures for their console at multiple points. They would not release these figures unless they've actually sold that amount (hence the use of the phrase "Over x amount") So there is no reason to say these numbers may be wrong or will be wrong or are wrong, like some members here have been saying in past posts.
Why would anyone question MS's numbers? they're all shipped after all. the fact that they're still giving us only shipped numbers is telling enough. I wish they'd give us through.

ZhugeEX

Banned
Why would anyone question MS's numbers? they're all shipped after all. the fact that they're still giving us only shipped numbers is telling enough. I wish they'd give us through.

The only shipped number we have for Xbox One is 5.1m as of Q1 CY2014.

The rest of the shipped numbers are "Xbox Family" and combine cumulative shipments of Xbox One and Xbox 360. We can use these numbers to come to an estimated sell in figure for X1 and X360 but they need to be treated as estimates and not exact figures.

Tbh, console makers rarely announce sell through figures and usually focus on sold in only. E.g Nintendo with the Wii U. Microsoft only announced 3m sold through to end users where as Sony have been very forthcoming with sell through data giving us major milestones from 4.2m to 10m to 18.5m+.

Gestault

Having doubts about the accuracy of the numbers is not the same as claiming that they are wrong. And the doubts were accompanied by pointing to actual issues that might negatively affect the accuracy of the numbers.

So you're saying the numbers are accurate?

chithanh

Banned
So you're saying the numbers are accurate?
No, I am not saying that they are accurate. They are potentially (even likely) accurate. Also I am not saying that they are inaccurate. They are potentially inaccurate.

To which extent they are accurate depends on how real the issues with them are that I pointed out.

Also, you've tried to say that the data we have doesn't add up to 3m for MS and it's unlikely the missing data will add up to 3m
I did not say it is unlikely, I just said that any numbers I tried the result always seemed strange.

Also, you still haven't proved to me Blackberry have sold 2m worldwide. I'm starting to have major doubts they even sold 1m to be honest. Unless YOU can prove that Blackberry did indeed sell 2m worldwide? Blackberry doesn't sell many phones in China or the USA any more which are the two biggest markets in the world? So how did they sell 2m new phones? Plz answer!
I don't have to prove that to you because I did not make a claim that Blackberry sold 2M. Besides it would not strike me as odd if BB sold more phones to Canada than to Germany.

chithanh

Banned
Well, "I am not saying that they are accurate" and "I am saying that they are not accurate" are two different things.

Gestault

Well, "I am not saying that they are accurate" and "I am saying that they are not accurate" are two different things.

The numbers exist. There are reasons you've recognized that there are real-world legal repercussions for the numbers being misreported. You're asserting that you doubt they are accurate. It's a very cute rhetorical game you're playing.

ZhugeEX

Banned

What's so funny. And this'll make you laugh is that your argument is very flawed as you say this.

Microsoft use GFK and NPD.
You say Microsoft may be wrong about 3m and have sold less.
Reason why? Because Microsoft are just estimating and estimates can be wrong.

So how do you prove the 3m number is wrong?
Because USA only sold 1.8m, UK 0.364m etc... and so you get to 2.4m but are missing 0.6m for rotw. And spain is only 35k so numbers don't add up to 3m. Correct?
But you said above that estimates are estimates and can be wrong.
So maybe NPD and GFK is wrong according to you?
But you're using NPD and GFK numbers to prove MS sold less than 3m....
But what If USA is 2m and not 1.8m? After all you said that estimates can be wrong and according to you NPD is an estimate as well.....

See the logic....

You're using estimates which may be wrong according to you in order to say that an estimate is wrong....

And before you say we don't know MS used NPD and GFK. They did. Even thought they don't state it. Even Sony use NPD and GFK even though they never state it on their press release.

chithanh

Banned
The numbers exist. There are reasons you've recognized that there are real-world legal repercussions for the numbers being misreported.
And? Everybody agrees that the numbers were reported in good faith.

You're asserting that you doubt they are accurate. It's a very cute rhetorical game you're playing.
No, it is trying to be precise. The people playing rhetoric games are mis-attributing claims to me that I never made, creating straw men, and using false dichotomies (paraphrased: "Do you agree that the numbers are accurate or do you claim that they are inaccurate").

The only shipped number we have for Xbox One is 5.1m as of Q1 CY2014.

The rest of the shipped numbers are "Xbox Family" and combine cumulative shipments of Xbox One and Xbox 360. We can use these numbers to come to an estimated sell in figure for X1 and X360 but they need to be treated as estimates and not exact figures.

Tbh, console makers rarely announce sell through figures and usually focus on sold in only. E.g Nintendo with the Wii U. Microsoft only announced 3m sold through to end users where as Sony have been very forthcoming with sell through data giving us major milestones from 4.2m to 10m to 18.5m+.

is that so. sony must be really proud of themselves and that's why they keep announcing sell through.

chithanh

Banned
Microsoft use GFK and NPD.
You say Microsoft may be wrong about 3m and have sold less.
Reason why? Because Microsoft are just estimating and estimates can be wrong.
False. My reason: Because Microsoft use not only GfK and NPD but also internal tracking sometimes (as evidenced by 1M day-1 figure). Internal tracking can be mislead by grey imports, because at least one method of discovering sell-through will give inflated results then. So which part of the 3M is GfK/NPD and which parts is internal tracking?

So how do you prove the 3m number is wrong?
You're using estimates which may be wrong according to you in order to say that an estimate is wrong....
I did not say that any of the numbers are wrong. You made that up. I only pointed to uncertainties.

And before you say we don't know MS used NPD and GFK. They did. Even thought they don't state it. Even Sony use NPD and GFK even though they never state it on their press release.
Yes they use NPD/GfK in addition to internal tracking. I can accept that NPD/GfK is always accurate, even in unusual situations. Internal tracking may fail in unusual situations.

ZhugeEX

Banned
False. My reason: Because Microsoft use not only GfK and NPD but also internal tracking sometimes

Sony also use "internal tracking". So could their figures be wrong? Or is this just a MS thing. After all, you're the one who said that Sony's numbers are accurate and there is no issue with them, but there are issues with MS numbers and so they could be very very wrong.

Sony and MS do use NPD/GFK though. They don't just pull a number out their arse.

I can accept that NPD/GfK is always accurate, even in unusual situations.

ffs man. Now you're losing your own argument. Because you say NPD/GFK is accurate but Microsoft number that uses NPD/GFK is inaccurate.

So which part of the 3M is GfK/NPD and which parts is internal tracking?

You tell me?

After all, NPD and GFK can account for all 13 regions MS launched in.

chithanh

Banned
Sony also use "internal tracking". So could their figures be wrong? Or is this just a MS thing.
Sony's situation is not unusual. No widespread reports of grey imports from Tier 1 countries to Tier 2. I have no problem believing that Sony/MS internal tracking gives good results in usual situations.

ffs man. Now you're losing your own argument. Because you say NPD/GFK is accurate but Microsoft number that uses NPD/GFK is inaccurate.
The numbers are a combination of NPD/GfK and sometimes internal tracking.

After all, NPD and GFK can account for all 13 regions MS launched in.
You mean before the day is over?

I2amza

Dude Zhuge... You need to stop nitpicking the quotes and take them hell out of context. If you are going to even remotely respond to argue you need to respond to his full sentence, not just a section of it.

I wouldn't even have an issue if you responded to every section of his sentence (even if you chop it up into multiple answers) but you don't.

ZhugeEX

Banned
Sony's situation is not unusual. No widespread reports of grey imports from Tier 1 countries to Tier 2. I have no problem believing that Sony/MS internal tracking gives good results in usual situations.

The numbers are a combination of NPD/GfK and sometimes internal tracking.

Prove it.

You realise China imports loads of PS4 consoles right? If that isn't a grey import I don't know what is. Also plenty of countries import PS4, EVEN countries that have official PS4 launch.

You mean before the day is over?

We've been over day 1 sales before. Also, day 1 is day 1. MS announced 3m 2 months later. Day 1 sales has nothing to do with end of the year sales.

Anyway. You're wrong and won't admit it.
Good night.

ZhugeEX

Banned
Dude Zhuge... You need to stop nitpicking the quotes and take them hell out of context. If you are going to even remotely respond to argue you need to respond to his full sentence, not just a section of it.

I wouldn't even have an issue if you responded to every section of his sentence (even if you chop it up into multiple answers) but you don't.

Because he's wrong. I don't need to respond to half his arguments which don't even make sense.

No one except 1 other forum member has defended him.

The reason being that he honestly believes there is no way Microsoft sold through 3m. He keeps saying there is issues. But for some reason those issues don't apply to Sony because Sony is always right and MS is wrong. You see how dumb this argument is?

He also won't answer my Blackberry question, he won't even admit that Blackberry could be wrong about their number. Only MS can be wrong according to him. He can't accept that the same issues that affect MS can actually also affect Sony.

But bottom line is, Sony sold through over 18.5m, MS sold through over 3.0m. end of.

But if you can give me a link about how porting from X1-PS4 requires a significant amount of people, or a completely different engine for each console then by all means please share.
I find it odd you're more concerned about team sizes than feature parity, but I'll see what I can find. lol

And the above doesn't even include serversurfers posts who thankfully has dropped the issue now but was also claiming that Microsoft couldn't have sold through 3m.
To be clear, I stopped posting on the subject because you stopped reading and responding to my posts days ago, but thanks for continuing to spread lies about me nonetheless. By all means, don't let the truth stand in the way of your smear campaign.

Also, this…
… is a ridiculous argument. You may as well claim God must exist because it says so right in the Bible and we can't prove He doesn't.

chithanh

Banned
Prove it.
That the numbers are sometimes internal tracking? All I say is day-1.

You realise China imports loads of PS4 consoles right? If that isn't a grey import I don't know what is. Also plenty of countries import PS4, EVEN countries that have official PS4 launch.
China grey imports by consumers are counted as sale in Hong Kong or wherever they are bought originally.

Also China is just one country. Consoles don't even sell that much over there compared to the rest of the >100 countries that Sony already sells in. Plus they are imported due to demand and then quickly sold, so even if a retailer grey import was counted as sell-through, it would not really inflate the numbers.

From Europe Tier 2 countries however we know that much more was imported than actual demand turned out to be. The import consoles were still in stores even after Tier 2 launch.
We've been over day 1 sales before. Also, day 1 is day 1. MS announced 3m 2 months later. Day 1 sales has nothing to do with end of the year sales.
We don't know what was the relationship between NPD/GfK and internal tracking. We know that sometimes, organizations incorporate less accurate internal numbers into estimates even in the presence of other hard data for whatever reason. Case in point, previous US presidential election:
Slate said:
Internally, the campaign’s own polling—tweaked to represent their view of the electorate, with fewer Democrats—showed a steady uptick for Romney since the first debate. Even on the morning of the election, Romney’s senior advisers weren’t close to hedging. They said he was going to win “decisively.” It seemed like spin, but the Boston Globe reports that a fireworks display was already ordered for the victory. Romney and Ryan thought they were going to win, say aides. “We were optimistic. More than just cautiously optimistic,” says one campaign staffer. When Romney lost, “it was like a death in the family.”
http://www.slate.com/articles/news_...e_his_campaign_had_the_wrong_numbers_bad.html

Anyway. You're wrong
Prove it.

Anyway, I was able to find this on team sizes.

Battlefield 4 cost $100M to develop. Link The article also points out that the "average console team" at EA is 300 people, which makes it sound like the BF4 team was larger. (Since not all of their games cost $100M to develop, obviously.)

Infinity Ward is 260 people. Link That said, on Ghosts they called in two additional studios to do the multiplayer, a third to do the "extinction," whatever the fuck that is, and a fourth studio to do the Wii U version. So, five teams total, including the base team of 260. Link

Killzone: Shadow Fall was made by 150 people, up from the 125 that worked on the PS3 versions. Link

So it seems like the costs of going multi-platform are quite significant indeed, and dwarf the costs associated with moving from one generation to the next.

Now that we have official figures placing the PS3 at 1.1 million for the quarter, I feel like that sort of vanquishes some of the more outlandish 2 million+ predictions for the 360 here. 360 sold better here to be sure, but not enough for worldwide shipments to be doubling the PS3.

Top Bottom