• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft: Our (1st party) games will render at native 4K at Scorpio launch

Except there's a near-universal agreement that something like...

1080p or 4K upscale, 60FPS, high settings is vastly superior to 4K native, 30FPS, low/medium settings.

4K native rendering isn't a selling point. It's a negative. Because there has to be compromises somewhere. This isn't a $2k PC.

Not at all if MS released a similar box as the pro this holiday season it would be long forgotten about. No matter what MS does they will lose so they are doing the best option. Going big to try to win over core gamers who are still on consoles. IMO so far it has worked great for them it even spoiled the Pro launch some with a new bar set. Phil has spent the last 2 years trying to repair the Xbox brand. The Scorpio will be the crowning achievement in the process.

It wouldn't be forgotten about. It would actually give Microsoft a product to compete with the Pro. Right now they have nothing this year or in the foreseeable future to do so. Going big to win over core gamers ignores the fact that core gamers have already bought a console. With these half gen consoles, Microsoft and Sony are trying to win over either new consoles buyers (mostly not core gamers), or that enthusiast subset of core gamers who feel the need to buy another console to get better looking graphics of games they could already play. That second group is much smaller. At $399 the Pro will get a good chunk of that group, but will also get a lot of the new console buyers who don't think a $100 price premium is all that bad. The Scorpio is going to be priced out of much of that second group.

The Scorpio hasn't spoiled the Pro's launch. It's a year away at least. Can you imagine some kid who was going to ask for a Pro this holiday saying instead, "Nah...I'll wait a year instead for the Scorpio".

If they consider this an enthusiast purchase the first couple years why do they need to hit that price point? Especially if you can play the same games on the S or base box?

What good does selling to a niche audience for a couple of years do them? By 2019-20 we'll be talking about the PS5 and XB2. The enthusiast won't care about the Scorpio at that point. What Microsoft needs is a console product to sell at the important $399 price point, and a 2TB Xbone S isn't going to do it.

Meanwhile Sony gets to own the $399 price point. By the time PS5 talk starts up they'll discontinue the PS4 and make the Pro the new entry level console at $249-$299. Who knows when Scorpio will be able to hit an entry level price, but it's going to be long after the Pro does it. From now til then the Pro is going to be a product that Microsoft has no counter to.

If Microsoft isn't just talking shit, I'll more than gladly hold off on getting a PS4 Pro and just wait for the Scorpio. If it runs native 4K, has a 4K blue ray drive AND it has Oculus support? No fucking brainer.

They're partnered with occulus right? That would make more sense than their own unit given their focus on Xbox pc cross buy.

And what's the point behind that exactly? Those who already bought a PC VR set all have a decent rig which plays almost each and every game Scorpio does. You think many of those will also buy a Scorpio because "now they can play their games with power"? If I had a decent, VR-ready rig a Scorpio would be the very last console which would attract my interest. Furthermore, OR's price is still off the charts for the console market, they literally need to cut that price by almost half to compete with PSVR and a potential successor.

quest

Not Banned from OT
It wouldn't be forgotten about. It would actually give Microsoft a product to compete with the Pro. Right now they have nothing this year or in the foreseeable future to do so. Going big to win over core gamers ignores the fact that core gamers have already bought a console. With these half gen consoles, Microsoft and Sony are trying to win over either new consoles buyers (mostly not core gamers), or that enthusiast subset of core gamers who feel the need to buy another console to get better looking graphics of games they could already play. That second group is much smaller. At $399 the Pro will get a good chunk of that group, but will also get a lot of the new console buyers who don't think a $100 price premium is all that bad. The Scorpio is going to be priced out of much of that second group.

The Scorpio hasn't spoiled the Pro's launch. It's a year away at least. Can you imagine some kid who was going to ask for a Pro this holiday saying instead, "Nah...I'll wait a year instead for the Scorpio".

Who in their right mind outside a MS warrior would buy a console that is the same specs as the Pro at the same price point? Also those MS warriors already have a XB1 so it does nothing for them. Going big gives them a chance to go after core gamers who want to play the best console versions of 3rd party games. The same foundation they built they XB360 on. While the 399.99 looks great for the pro now I think in the end we will look back as a mistake. The Pro will look very dated on 3rd party games thank to no extra ram to improve assets. I see no point of near 4k with low resolution textures.

Fisty

Man they really need to stop doubling, tripling, and quadrupling down on this 4k stuff. Telling folks unequivocally what level your console will perform at when it won't even launch for a year is extremely risky

If Microsoft isn't just talking shit, I'll more than gladly hold off on getting a PS4 Pro and just wait for the Scorpio. If it runs native 4K, has a 4K blue ray drive AND it has Oculus support? No fucking brainer.

The problem is that you have to wait a year to find out if Microsoft is talking shit or not. They have no actual product right now. All they have is what they were doing when Sony's Project Morpheus was first making the rounds and Microsoft hyped up HoloLens to counter it. How'd that work out? Anyone talking about HoloLens now?

Who in their right mind outside a MS warrior would buy a console that is the same specs as the Pro at the same price point? Also those MS warriors already have a XB1 so it does nothing for them. Going big gives them a chance to go after core gamers who want to play the best console versions of 3rd party games. The same foundation they built they XB360 on. While the 399.99 looks great for the pro now I think in the end we will look back as a mistake. The Pro will look very dated on 3rd party games thank to no extra ram to improve assets. I see no point of near 4k with low resolution textures.

Yeh!!! Microsoft will be the king of a tiny, tiny $499+ console market while giving up the much larger $399 market. Btw, the 360 cost less than it's competition and came out a year earlier...hmmm sound familiar.

The problem is that you have to wait a year to find out if Microsoft is talking shit or not. They have no actual product right now. All they have is what they were doing when Sony's Project Morpheus was first making the rounds and Microsoft hyped up HoloLens to counter it. How'd that work out? Anyone talking about HoloLens now?
Wait a year?? MS will have to have dev kits out there in the spring I imagine. At that point we'll see the expected horsepower on the Scorpio. When does the PS4Pro launch?

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Man they really need to stop doubling, tripling, and quadrupling down on this 4k stuff. Telling folks unequivocally what level your console will perform at when it won't even launch for a year is extremely risky
Holiday 2017 is going to be a fucking riot on GAF lol. Let them keep digging deeper, down the rabbit hole we go.
Will they hit native 4K for their 1st party games? Absolutely, but at what cost.

Alebrije

Seems good but the price will be the real concern. PS4 PRO is just few months and with a decent price.

Hmm. Not sure I understand. You're comparing HoloLens to their new console or to Oculus? I don't think either comparison makes much sense.

And yeah, I would have to wait but there's absolutely nothing wrong with the PS4 I have right now. The step up to a Scorpio given the specs we have so far is such a more meaningful jump than just paying 400 bucks again for the same console I have in my home right now.

Seems good but the price will be the real concern. PS4 PRO is just few months and with a decent price.

I only think it's a decent price if you don't own a PS4. Already own a PS4 and paying 400 bucks again for something that isn't that much of a step up? With no extra features? 😕

imo and all of course.

How can the PS4 Slim be horribly priced? It hits the magic $299 price point. That is impulse buy territory, and is why the PS4 Slim will sell many more consoles than the Pro. I make that prediction excluding the initial sales rush of the Pro at release.

Your critique is missing the point. It isn't that the Slim is horribly priced. It is that the Pro is fantastically priced. Once again, in a typical console generation the Pro would just be the same console with a larger drive. It might have had a 2TB drive instead of the 1TB, but that 1TB difference is nothing compared to the spec bump the Pro gets. Because of the Pro, the same priced $399 2TB Xbox One S is simply dead.

Oh, there is no way the price of the XB1 S is going to drop $100 in a year outside of some special sale. The Scorpio would be very lucky to be $499 and I think I'll be higher. Remember the Scorpio is claiming to be able to run native 4K games. That's going to be impossible for hardware in the $449 price range for quite awhile.

Ive asked this before and I'll ask it again. Where do you think MS and Sony buy these parts? Newegg?

Kai Ozu

Scorpio should cut the Xbox One name and be the new system, build a new and faster UI around that power. I hope they don't skimp on this box, make it premium and I'll be there day 1.

FacelessSamurai

..but cry so much I wish I had some
Ive asked this before and I'll ask it again. Where do you think MS and Sony buy these parts? Newegg?

It's the usual MS hate train. Sony releases a pro console that cannoy do 4k and now apparently it's impossible for Microsoft to have 4k native. People forget PS4 pro will not give them a magic 60fps at 4k or higher settings compared to PC version, it'll still look like medium settings on PC even with all of that checkerboard rendering. Same with Scorpio, it'll be 4k native but at medium PC settings, just like console gamers have been used to and always will.

Also, Scorpio will launch at 400$, MS will probably prefer taking a loss than selling any higher, although we still don't know what the cost of the system will be for them. Also, I don't see why in 1 year they wouldn't be able to get an extra 1.8TF of power, especially if they go for the new CPU architecture from AMD and maybe better than GPU than Sony, all while being at the same launch price as the Pro.

People will need the VR headset and all that for their Scorpio, MS knows this, they won't charge you an arm and a leg for it. They'll just keep selling them Elite controllers and such and make it up elsewhere of they have to make a loss on the console itself to stay competitive. We all know what a higher price did to the Xbone at launch; Phil won't repeat the same mistake.

Fisty

Holiday 2017 is going to be a fucking riot on GAF lol. Let them keep digging deeper, down the rabbit hole we go.
Will they hit native 4K for their 1st party games? Absolutely, but at what cost.

"You realize you will see every game in 4k as your output, right?"

Although, there is nothing from AMD which points to Zen being 2018, the point which keeps being posted on here.
Yes there is. First, you have the report that AMD's president hinted at this during an investor meeting last month. Second, you have the recent slide from AMD saying that desktop Zen will be H1 2017, and notebook Zen H2 2017. Combine that with their earlier statements that Zen would roll out in the order desktop, notebook, APU.

Rodelero

It's the usual MS hate train.

I'm sure this is going to be fantastic post...

Sony releases a pro console that cannoy do 4k and now apparently it's impossible for Microsoft to have 4k native. People forget PS4 pro will not give them a magic 60fps at 4k or higher settings compared to PC version, it'll still look like medium settings on PC even with all of that checkerboard rendering. Same with Scorpio, it'll be 4k native but at medium PC settings, just like console gamers have been used to and always will.

Let's be honest, there are very few people (if any) saying that this box won't be able to achieve 4K natively. Hell, we know that the PS4 can achieve 4K natively and will do so for some games, so it wouldn't make any sense to question whether the Xbox One can achieve it. The bigger question is whether pushing for 4K natively across the board, as Microsoft are promising with their first party, is a smart move.

Also, Scorpio will launch at 400$, MS will probably prefer taking a loss than selling any higher, although we still don't know what the cost of the system will be for them. Also, I don't see why in 1 year they wouldn't be able to get an extra 1.8TF of power, especially if they go for the new CPU architecture from AMD and maybe better than GPU than Sony, all while being at the same launch price as the Pro.

So to be clear:

Significantly better GPU
Massively better CPU
Better memory bandwidth
UHD Bluray Player
Presumably a 2TB Harddrive

Is going to be priced at $400?

People will need the VR headset and all that for their Scorpio, MS knows this, they won't charge you an arm and a leg for it. They'll just keep selling them Elite controllers and such and make it up elsewhere of they have to make a loss on the console itself to stay competitive. We all know what a higher price did to the Xbone at launch; Phil won't repeat the same mistake.

You need to stop kidding yourself, to be honest. Microsoft aren't going to hugely subsidise this console, they are going to sell it at a high price and proudly claim that it's the best console on the market and therefore worth the extra money. Some people will agree with them.

Hmm. Not sure I understand. You're comparing HoloLens to their new console or to Oculus? I don't think either comparison makes much sense.

And yeah, I would have to wait but there's absolutely nothing wrong with the PS4 I have right now. The step up to a Scorpio given the specs we have so far is such a more meaningful jump than just paying 400 bucks again for the same console I have in my home right now.

I am talking about the hype Microsoft did for HoloLens. HoloLens is to PSVR as Scorpio is to PS4 Pro. Remember how great Hololens was going to be. It was Microsoft's answer to VR. They made that big deal about their Minecraft demo to show what it could do for gaming. Once the reality of HoloLens was revealed, we learned what it really was. It was hype meant to blunt talk of VR and keep Microsoft relevant when they actually had nothing to offer. I'm saying the Scorpio talk is similar.

My talk about waiting was for people who didn't already own a console. I own a PS4 now and don't plan on getting a Pro any time soon either. I'd much rather get PSVR. If I were buying my console right now, I'd definitely spend the extra $100 for the Pro over the base model, but I see no need to replace my PS4 with a Pro.

Btw the same goes for the Scorpio. Even as a PS4 fan, I agreed with Microsoft when they said that we are hitting diminishing returns with regards to graphics. When given an option at the same price and availability, sure I'd go for the better graphics of the PS4, but that doesn't make it a primary criteria. I feel even stronger about that for 4K, especially since I don't have a 4K TV, and don't plan on getting one anytime soon.

However, I have said that VR resets that equation. The added benefits of better graphics do make a significant difference for VR. Unfortunately for Microsoft, I can find no case for buying the Scorpio for VR. I'll likely be buying PSVR long before Scorpio comes out, because as I said, who's going to wait a year. I can buy just the PSVR headset in months and use it with my PS4. To use VR with Scorpio I'd have to buy a VR headset (who knows when that'll be offered) along with the Scorpio itself over a year from now. If I'm going to be investing that much money just for VR then I might as well go PC because VR takes away many of the advantages of owning a console. Wearing a VR headset in front of my PC is just about the same as wearing a VR headset in front of a console.

Scorpio just occupies a spot that I see no path reaching. After I own a PSVR, if I like it and want a bit more umph then I'll buy the PS4 Pro. If I really fall in love with VR then I'm not going to make a half jump to the Scorpio. I'm getting it for the PC.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I am talking about the hype Microsoft did for HoloLens. HoloLens is to PSVR as Scorpio is to PS4 Pro. Remember how great Hololens was going to be. It was Microsoft's answer to VR. They made that big deal about their Minecraft demo to show what it could do for gaming. Once the reality of HoloLens was revealed, we learned what it really was. It was hype meant to blunt talk of VR and keep Microsoft relevant when they actually had nothing to offer. I'm saying the Scorpio talk is similar.

My talk about waiting was for people who didn't already own a console. I own a PS4 now and don't plan on getting a Pro any time soon either. I'd much rather get PSVR. If I were buying my console right now, I'd definitely spend the extra $100 for the Pro over the base model, but I see no need to replace my PS4 with a Pro.

Btw the same goes for the Scorpio. Even as a PS4 fan, I agreed with Microsoft when they said that we are hitting diminishing returns with regards to graphics. When given an option at the same price and availability, sure I'd go for the better graphics of the PS4, but that doesn't make it a primary criteria. I feel even stronger about that for 4K, especially since I don't have a 4K TV, and don't plan on getting one anytime soon.

However, I have said that VR resets that equation. The added benefits of better graphics do make a significant difference for VR. Unfortunately for Microsoft, I can find no case for buying the Scorpio for VR. I'll likely be buying PSVR long before Scorpio comes out, because as I said, who's going to wait a year. I can buy just the PSVR headset in months and use it with my PS4. To use VR with Scorpio I'd have to buy a VR headset (who knows when that'll be offered) along with the Scorpio itself over a year from now. If I'm going to be investing that much money just for VR then I might as well go PC because VR takes away many of the advantages of owning a console. Wearing a VR headset in front of my PC is just about the same as wearing a VR headset in front of a console.

Scorpio just occupies a spot that I see no path reaching. After I own a PSVR, if I like it and want a bit more umph then I'll buy the PS4 Pro. If I really fall in love with VR then I'm not going to make a half jump to the Scorpio. I'm getting it for the PC.

Pushing games to be all native 4K is nice if you are targeting PS4 visuals and ask nothing else more of your game beyond higher resolution rendering, but we were nowhere near enough power for 1080p and mandating games to run at native 4K will mean spending a huge portion of your silicon budget on powering 4x more pixels rather than having 4x more complex and polished pixels and more interactive and complex scenes.

Asd202

It's the usual MS hate train. Sony releases a pro console that cannoy do 4k and now apparently it's impossible for Microsoft to have 4k native. People forget PS4 pro will not give them a magic 60fps at 4k or higher settings compared to PC version, it'll still look like medium settings on PC even with all of that checkerboard rendering. Same with Scorpio, it'll be 4k native but at medium PC settings, just like console gamers have been used to and always will.

Lots of if's.

As usual, my stance on these kinda things is to wait and see if they can really deliver native 4K. What would be interesting is if they can get native 4k with extra visual effects.

If I was to guess, we will see a good mixture of native 4k to sub 4k games that really push visual fidelity on Scorpio.

TheRed

No way if they want to have the top end in graphic effects of the time I'm sure some will not be able to do native 4K. Unless I guess if it's just Forza, Halo. Just 1st party and just at launch seems possible actually.

elelunicy

Except there's a near-universal agreement that something like...

1080p or 4K upscale, 60FPS, high settings is vastly superior to 4K native, 30FPS, low/medium settings.

4K native rendering isn't a selling point. It's a negative. Because there has to be compromises somewhere. This isn't a $2k PC.
I play on PC and I will choose 4k medium/low every time over 1080p ultra/maxed out. It's not even close really as the IQ is just terrible at 1080p and no amount of bells and whistles can save it.

Framerate is a different story entirely as it's CPU dependent. Games that can run 4k/30fps on the Scorpio might not run 60fps at all regardless of how low you drop the resolution.

Bsigg12

I know we have some Microsoft people talking about it because of the PS4 Pro being official and outlets asking them what to expect with Scorpio but until they bring hardware to an event, it's a whole bunch of speculation on our part. Microsoft has a few hardware events upcoming in the next few months so hopefully we see something.

Deadstar

I play on PC and I will choose 4k medium/low every time over 1080p ultra/maxed out. It's not even close really as the IQ is just terrible at 1080p and no amount of bells and whistles can save it.

Framerate is a different story entirely as it's CPU dependent. Games that can run 4k/30fps on the Scorpio might not run 60fps at all regardless of how low you drop the resolution.

Yeah I have to say that the resolution does make a huge difference. I moved to a 1440p monitor and looking at 1080p seems like a huge downgrade on my tv. We need to push towards 4k. it is the future, it is not 3d all over again. It makes a huge difference. Performance may not be great out of the gate but the technology needs to be pushed forward. 1080p is not the way to go anymore.

What point are you trying to make? They both buy in bulk from their suppliers.

The point is that they both get the same type of discounts. So if Sony has to price its Pro console at $399, Microsoft will have to price its Scorpio much higher than that because it is claiming much higher specs. For example, for improving the CPU Sony calculated the additional cost coming out to be an extra $100. See following NeoGaf post.
Related info from a meeting we had yesterday was waiting for it to be approved before posting.

Price is currently $399.99 they were discussing a better CPU which would raise the price to $499.99 we were guaranteed the price will be no higher than $499.99 (He mentioned the CPU upgrade quite a bit almost as if they haven't really decided on a final spec could be a pricing issue.) also there is currently no plan for any type of trade in program for current PS4 users but that could change.
Based on how the PS4 Pro is priced, I'd say that the Scorpio would be extremely lucky to be priced at $499, and expect it to be more. That leaves absolutely nothing for Microsoft to compete at the $399 price point. That hole will persists as all console prices naturally fall over time. By the time the prices fall enough for the Scorpio to compete at the $399 price point we'll be talking about the next generation of consoles.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
I'm halfway between not believing and not wanting this. How about we master 1080 60 first.

EGM1966

I've not doubt as with other exclusives they'll aim for that. MS is clearly going to use to Scorpio to see if the promise of higher specs can help reverse current trends a little with regards console market.

In current climate I don't see a better strategy to I'm sure they'll trim effects, etc. as needed to get a 4K mode. I'm not sure higher specs will turn out to be the silver bullet to recover in the market but it's arguably their best shot so.

The main issue I see will be actual install base for 4K resolution. If I'm honest both Sony's approach to 4K and MS's seems a little early in the market for me but perhaps both want to capture as much of that emergent market as they can as early as possible via the initial adopters.

Bsigg12

It'll be fun to revisit these threads once the price is announced. I'm still expecting $399 because we all know how well $499 goes over with consumers. $399 is the sweet spot for introducing a new product.

Not sure how much this will play a big role in MS having good chances of hitting 4K resolutions. With AMD seeing big gains in performance of DX12 engines and Vulkan due to Async compute, they might not be blowing smoke.

We won't know the full picture till everything is revealed in Scorpio and we see some examples and here more from developers.

FutbolBat

Banned
Pretty much 100% chance that they already have current first generation titles already running on their prototype at 4K.

EvB

The bigger question is whether pushing for 4K natively across the board, as Microsoft are promising with their first party, is a smart move.

Well given that Xbox Scorpio games are actually Xbox One games/UWP gamez. It shouldn't be unsurprising to expect those games to run at 4x the resolution of the Xbox one when there is a GPU that is 4.6x more powerful in the Scorpio.
That's before you consider having more memory, faster memory and general removals of bottlenecks that Xbox One may suffer from.

No doubt we will see changes in rendering techniques as time goes by and as the Scorpio moves into becoming it's own format and the games it is running become more demanding of it.

Really sad that we're seeing a huge push to 4k from consoles. We only just managed to hit 1080p (with some games still failing to even reach that) and now we're ignoring performance and optimizations at 1080p, skipping 1440p altogether, and assuming native 4k is the holy grail.

Feels like an entire gen too early. Maybe two. I wouldn't mind if 4k was the bonus afterthought option with 1080p60fps and better visuals being the primary focus, but not this way around.

You can't market FPS over visuals easily so framerate will never be a priority in this industry.

You also can't easily market 4k HDR easily to a consumer base with predominantly 1080p TVs and monitors. Better graphics and the promise of better framerates though... I would put money on that being easier to market. I think the key issue here, especially for Sony, is that getting people excited for 4k and providing reasons to upgrade to a new TV like this is eventually better for the industry as a whole. It's certainly not better for the consumer today though.

GeoramA

I'm halfway between not believing and not wanting this. How about we master 1080 60 first.
Pretty much. If these mid-gen refreshes are true responses to PC gaming, then that should be the focus.

All the 4K pandering by Sony and MS seems WAY too premature.

It'll be fun to revisit these threads once the price is announced. I'm still expecting $399 because we all know how well $499 goes over with consumers. $399 is the sweet spot for introducing a new product.

No idea about the cost of the console for Microsoft obviously but it would be fantastic for them to hit that price point. I really doubt it will unfortunately but that'll be pretty rad. I'm guessing $499 at the cheapest.

Also, I saw some people mention thing about downsampling. Scorpio has been confirmed to support that so expect to see a good bit of that as well I assume.

Top Bottom