• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft: Our (1st party) games will render at native 4K at Scorpio launch

Gamezone

Gold Member
Resolution seems to be everything these days, yet i struggle to see the difference between 720p and 1080p from the couch.

Jigolo

I'm still hoping there will be more modes to take advantage of 1080p like Tomb Raider.

I've never actually seen 4k in real life, but is it really that much better than 1080p? I'm not knocking 4k, it's just that 1080p already looks so good to me. I can't notice any jaggies, so it's hard for me to imagine 4k being better

I personally think it is. Noticeably sharper and more detail. And since pretty much only 4K TVs are HDR compatible, that's an entirely different thing that in addition to the resolution bump makes the image look even better.

Games should start targeting DCI-P3 like movies since the hardware is there now.

Briarios

Not really in this case. I'm sure MS has looked at what they're doing on PC, and with Scorpio equivalent hardware, are probably reaching their goals.

Who knows what kind of hardware will ultimately power the machine, but they seem pretty adamant about hitting that XO parity at native 4K.

No, it's more like, why buy an Xbox One when these specs are being put out there with no one having seem the system ... But it's not really the next-gen, so they're hamstringing themselves for the rest of this generation. It was just way too early, it's going to hurt them in market share, and give Sony an even further lead. It's just strange. I mean, if they had only announced the slim, I might have purchased one around Christmas ... But now, why? It's just weird. They should be in Scorpio silence mode and pushing the slim for the holidays.

leeh

Resolution seems to be everything these days, yet i struggle to see the difference between 720p and 1080p from the couch.
Where's your couch? In the neighbours house?

For streamed video, I get this, but not for games. Unless you're baiting here and if so, you've hooked me.

I expect the frame rate to be bad and the graphic settings have to be lowered.

Currently, the only video card that can run 4k at max settings in stable 60 fps is the $1200 Titan XP. I doubt the Scorpio will be anywhere near a Titan XP.

No, it's more like, why buy an Xbox One when these specs are being put out there with no one having seem the system ... But it's not really the next-gen, so they're hamstringing themselves for the rest of this generation. It was just way too early, it's going to hurt them in market share, and give Sony an even further lead. It's just strange. I mean, if they had only announced the slim, I might have purchased one around Christmas ... But now, why? It's just weird. They should be in Scorpio silence mode and pushing the slim for the holidays.

lol... MS has had the best selling console in NA for the last 2 months.

Is Sony hamstringing themselves with their Slim and PS4 Pro? Are you buying either?

The Scorpio coming next year gives the One S a bit of breathing room, and if you want UHD Blu-ray then there's only one option.

Kilau

Scorpio is still supposedly hamstrung by the base XBO yes?

Meaning no Scorpio exclusives, so it seems likely that a 6TF machine with much better memory bandwidth and maybe a better CPU could take 1.3TF geared games and run them at 4K pretty easily.

ShutterMunster

The Scorpio quickly turned into one of my least favorite topics in recent gaming. What an amazing job by Microsoft, and similarly amazing set of customer relation slip ups by Sony, that a vague, hypothetical console with the promise of 4k within budget and spec restraints that a console inherently brings is suddenly being looked at as some sort of beast over the horizon.

The fact it's a year out, with no leaked specs, no solid developer impressions, and that it's relying on the promise of achieving a resolution that we've already seen is not completely understood by the mainstream is what causes my ire. Asking "should I buy a PC or a Scorpio?" illicits the same reaction from me as "should I buy an iPhone 7 or 8?" We simply don't know, and going off the company's promises, especially the one losing the sales and mindshare battle, is only going to create unjustified hype leading to a lot of letdowns.

Anyway, 4K is cool.

I continue to be floored by the fervent belief in Scorpio.

They gave you one number and repeated enough times to get you to believe the unit is the second coming. Marketing.

Meaning no Scorpio exclusives, so it seems likely that a 6TF machine with much better memory bandwidth and maybe a better CPU could take 1.3TF geared games and run them at 4K pretty easily.

There will be Scorpio exclusive games in the future.. mark my words.

Regardless, it's not going to be hamstrung any worse than PC already is. It's a relatively cheap box afterall...

theWB27

This was my thinking. I don't see how that machine couldn't run an x1 game at 4k if people can already do it today with their pc counterparts.

Cool that they're being this concrete so far away from launch. Hope it doesn't come back to haunt them. Definitely looking forward to Scorpio.

Malcolm9

lol... MS has had the best selling console in NA for the last 2 months.

Is Sony hamstringing themselves with their Slim and PS4 Pro? Are you buying either?

The Scorpio coming next year gives the One S a bit of breathing room, and if you want UHD Blu-ray then there's only one option.

Because the old stock (original Xbox One) has been dramatically cut in price that's why.

If you are looking to buy an Xbox it's pointless picking up an S knowing full well the Scorpio is out next year.

Regardless, it's not going to be hamstrung any worse than PC already is. It's a relatively cheap box afterall...

Didn't Spencer promise there won't be any Scorpio exclusives at E3?

Zuzzissm0

Please put in 1080p/60fps alternative modes for your games as well. No way any of those games at 4k will be able to run at 60fps.

nobody sad they will target for 4K60fps. You will get Xbox 1party games at nativ 4k with no additional visual upgrades and MAYBE a 1080p with more stuff at 30 fps and 1080p/60fps.

They have to do this nativ 4k shit for exclusive 1party because of their marketing. the rest will similar to what the developers will do for the ps4pro.

i hope that the scorpio will get patches for BF1, Mass Effect ect. also and not only for games that will come in 1 year

Noobcraft

So Forza Motorsport 7 will be 4k 60 on Scorpio which should do wonders for the IQ, and I expect Halo 6 to be 4K (variable) at 60 fps.

ShutterMunster

And yet Sony throwing 4K in the title of every Pro game doesn't floor you at all, I imagine?

What does this even have to do with what I said? One system exists, the other doesn't.

Take that console flag waving shit elsewhere or get blocked. I'm not here for it.

AmyS

What's the GPU this thing will have?

Eurogamer / Digital Foundry believes it'll be a downclocked Vega GPU, because although larger and more complex than Polaris, Vega can be clocked lower than Polaris would have to be in order to reach 6 TFlops

Edit:

However, based on the differential in spec between Neo and Scorpio, it's unlikely that the new Microsoft console uses Polaris at all. A 40 CU part would need a mighty overclock to hit 6TF, and based on the rendered imagery we've seen, the heating assembly planned for Scorpio looks a little lacklustre. With that in mind, our money is on a downclocked version of AMD's upcoming Vega technology.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-xbox-one-project-scorpio-spec-analysis

Kilau

There may be Scorpio only games, it wouldn't surprise me or upset me. As others have said, if there are enough options between versions it may not be necessary for Scorpio exclusives.

Didn't Spencer promise there won't be any Scorpio exclusives at E3?

I'm sure he has. However, you have to advance the hardware at some point. It wont happen right away, but it will happen eventually once the hardware reaches a certain adoption level.

Same thing will happen with PS4 Pro being required when PS5 releases. Or something along those lines.

Gamezone

Gold Member
Where's your couch? In the neighbours house?

For streamed video, I get this, but not for games. Unless you're baiting here and if so, you've hooked me.

It`s pretty close. I might need to get my eyes checked, but I want extra details and features more than resolution.

leeh

I continue to be floored by the fervent belief in Scorpio.

They gave you one number and repeated enough times to get you to believe the unit is the second coming. Marketing.
Please give some examples because the person you quoted had many doubts himself. I don't see any outrageous claims in here at all.

Nocturno999

Let's just assume that they can achieve 4k @ 30FPS. It's unlikely that it's going to be sustainable after a couple of years.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
they are going to try and ride this vapor hype until the end of next year arent they..? My goodness.

leeh

It`s pretty close. I might need to get my eyes checked, but I want extra details and features more than resolution.
Personally, it's like night and day for me and really detracts from my gaming experience. I sit about 2m away from a 40" 1080p Samsung.

Regarding your personal preference, I'd agree now without any examples of what the 4k output would look like. I said it in the other thread, but it would be stupidly stupid to not have 1080p profiles for Scorpio.

I'm sure he has. However, you have to advance the hardware at some point. It wont happen right away, but it will happen eventually once the hardware reaches a certain adoption level.

Same thing will happen with PS4 Pro being required when PS5 releases. Or something along those lines.

Errr, isn't it a lie for both companies to say if Pro/Scorpio have exclusive games in the future?

Phil Spencer (2014):
In the end I don't want it to be about a number, because 1080p isn't some mythical, perfect resolution. Frame rate to me is significantly more important to gameplay than resolution and the mix of those two which brings the right art style and freedom, whether it's on PlayStation or our platform.

Phil was right about frame rate and I hope they make most of the Scorpio games 60fps, not 4K/30fps.

What does this even have to do with what I said? One system exists, the other doesn't.

Take that console flag waving shit elsewhere or get blocked. I'm not here for it.

Developers were coding for PS4 Pro before the public even knew about it... imagine that.

Maybe people in the right positions know more than you do about the subject, and just because it hasn't been announced yet doesn't mean that it's not capable...

You're the 'things don't exist until I can see them' type eh? That's fine.. but you seem awfully upset that people believe that MS can do it. Maybe you should look at your own flag waving shit?

ShutterMunster

Developers were coding for PS4 Pro before the public even knew about it... imagine that.

Maybe people in the right positions know more than you do about the subject, and just because it hasn't been announced yet doesn't mean that it's not capable...

You're the 'things don't exist until I can see them' type eh? That's fine.. but you seem awfully upset that people believe that MS can do it. Maybe you should look at your own flag waving shit?

Yeah...goodbye.

Moving on: There will probably be "exclusive" games for both boxes, but in the old iPhone sort of way, which kinda makes them look less like exclusives.

leeh

they are going to try and ripe this vapor hype until the end of next year arent they..? My goodness.
Hype? This is a important piece of new information, she's hardly hyping he's just stating what they're going for. It's not like he's all like OMG Scorpio is a monster the 4k games look amazing.

I quoted him because I understood his viewpoint...
Ok, but as stated before you've said that people are treating this console like the second coming of christ but there's no examples of that at all.

I'll believe it when I see it, or when the price tag on this thing is $700.

Either that or it'll be some PR thing where native 4K titles are limited to a few lower fidelity less effects intensive titles.

If a $650 GPU with a $300 processor is what it takes now to do 4K/30fps in games like Grand Theft Auto 5, Shadow of Mordor, Dirt Rally, etc. I really think it'll be impossible for them to boast the same for under $500.

Remember that with planning this thing for next holiday the specs have to be set within the next 6 months at the maximum. GTX1080 is getting between 40-50FPS in highly demanding, modern titles at 4K.

At console prices you're looking at something closer to the 970 and looking at benchmarks for 4K, you're digging back into the 360/PS3 library for titles that hit a solid 30FPS at that resolution.

There's more to it than just resolution too, if you're still running games like the witcher on medium PC settings, but 4K instead of 900p, what's the real appeal? lower quality assets at higher resolution? Does it have the power to also do higher quality assets and effects at 4K to justify the resolution bump?

chadskin

Hype? This is a important piece of new information, he's hardly hyping he's just stating what they're going for. It's not like he's all like OMG Scorpio is a monster the 4k games look amazing.

She. Let's acknowledge the few women we have in IT / gaming.

Top Bottom