• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft: Our (1st party) games will render at native 4K at Scorpio launch

barit

What 1st party games I've to ask? Besides Crackdown 3 and the usual Forza + Halo combo at holidays MS have announced nothing new. All the big titles are out or will be out before Scorpio launches. So what the hell are they talking about?

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Phil Spencer (2014):

Phil was right about frame rate and I hope they make most of the Scorpio games 60fps, not 4K/30fps.

That depends on the CPU they have. If they don't have a strong enough CPU, it doesnt matter what GPU they put in there. Right now, Zen is up in the air as a possibility because AMD doesn't have any semicustom Zen ready until 2018. And they can't just be rushed to make their tech faster, so it may come down to Scorpio using something else, or sticking with jaguar and playing up pixels.

theWB27

Yeah...goodbye.

It just rubs some people the wrong way when a person comes in and gives their reasons on why another should be jaded about something that person deems not worth getting excited over.

We get it. There are some who can be excited about the potential of a product while still keeping their hype in check.

ShutterMunster

Hype? This is a important piece of new information, he's hardly hyping he's just stating what they're going for. It's not like he's all like OMG Scorpio is a monster the 4k games look amazing.

Ok, but as stated before you've said that people are treating this console like the second coming of christ but there's no examples of that at all.

Are you new here? Have you not been in a single PS4 Pro/Scorpio thread? Watch any Kinda Funny videos? You remember people throwing around the word teraflop before E3?

I'm really not here for it tonight guys.

It just rubs some people the wrong way when a person comes in and gives their reasons on why another should be jaded about something that person deems not worth getting excited over.

We get it. There are some who can be excited about the potential of a product while still keeping their hype in check.

Speculation and theorizing is fine and fun, we all do it, but that's not really what I'm responding to.

As long as it doesn't cause games to be too heavily downgraded. I personally prefer 1080p with more effects and higher quality graphics settings.

Kilau

I'll believe it when I see it, or when the price tag on this thing is $700.

Either that or it'll be some PR thing where native 4K titles are limited to a few lower fidelity less effects intensive titles.

If a $650 GPU with a $300 processor is what it takes now to do 4K/30fps in games like Grand Theft Auto 5, Shadow of Mordor, Dirt Rally, etc. I really think it'll be impossible for them to boast the same for under $500.

I expect a premium marketed machine priced at $499 or less.

I'm sure he has. However, you have to advance the hardware at some point. It wont happen right away, but it will happen eventually once the hardware reaches a certain adoption level.

Same thing will happen with PS4 Pro being required when PS5 releases. Or something along those lines.

There won't be Scorpio exclusive, but there will be Scorpio 1+Scorpio 2 game.

leeh

Are you new here? Have you not been in a single PS4 Pro/Scorpio thread? Watch any Kinda Funny videos? You remember people throwing around the word teraflop before E3?

I'm really not here for it tonight guys.
All those Scorpio threads where people have their expectations in check for 4K and have realistic ideas of what it'll be like?

Yeah I've seen those threads.

Gragen

The next gen Oculus headset will probably be Scorpio compatible. Thing is going to be a beast but I still don't see the point if you have a nice PC.

I didn't read the whole thread, the reason for quoting, these companies realize that the average consumer doesn't have a capable pc.

Salty Hippo

What does this even have to do with what I said? One system exists, the other doesn't.

What are you even suggesting here? Do you have any doubt Scorpio will be more powerful when it's releasing a year later? 6TF is not the full specs sheet but it is relevant information and gives people an idea about its power. If they promised 6TF they will deliver it or get completely shat on by everyone, which I'm sure they don't want to happen.

What should Microsoft do? Keep their mouths completely shut about their new hardware until it's sitting at Gamestop's shelves? The thing is officially announced, the fact that they didn't give out every detail yet doesn't mean it "doesn't exist".

ShutterMunster

I don't think Microsoft charges a cent over $400 for this thing, btw. Isn't a 6TF machine going to be relatively cheap to produce by next summer? That's not bleeding edge for 2017.

Paznos

What 1st party games I've to ask? Besides Crackdown 3 and the usual Forza + Halo combo at holidays MS have announced nothing new. All the big titles are out or will be out before Scorpio launches. So what the hell are they talking about?

That's what I was wondering and all I could come up with was Halo and Forza, forgot about Crackdown 3.

That depends on the CPU they have. If they don't have a strong enough CPU, it doesnt matter what GPU they put in there. Right now, Zen is up in the air as a possibility because AMD doesn't have any semicustom Zen ready until 2018. And they can't just be rushed to make their tech faster, so it may come down to Scorpio using something else, or sticking with jaguar and playing up pixels.

That Zen not ready till 2018 stuff is more than likely bogus. A site with less than 13 stories reported that, and it still hasn't been corroborated by more credible sites.

Noobcraft

I know a lot of people are quoting that 2018 rumor, but is that 2018 or FY2018? Scorpio launch falls in the latter.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Hype? This is a important piece of new information, he's hardly hyping he's just stating what they're going for. It's not like he's all like OMG Scorpio is a monster the 4k games look amazing.

Their intent is transparent. Letting out 'planned details' like this more than 12 months before launch is obviously trying to douse hype for the competitor's product. They obviously have a right to do it, its just irritating considering the machine has so long yet to go, they themselves are waiting on the technology to even be finished to create the machine itself.

They should wait until they are closer to launch before bringing out statements like this.

theWB27

That's what I was wondering and all I could come up with was Halo and Forza, forgot about Crackdown 3.

Don't we have another e3 before this machine releases?

Their intent is transparent. Letting out 'planned details' like this more than 12 months before launch is obviously trying to douse hype for the competitor's product. They obviously have a right to do it, its just irritating considering the machine has so long yet to go, they themselves are waiting on the technology to even be finished to create the machine itself.

They should wait until they are closer to launch before bringing out statements like this.

It's not their job to let the competition get breathing room. Their job is to keep/regain/gain as much mind(market)share as possible as long as they're offering a product.

Wow..ms really throwing them jabs at the moment....this is going to be good as a gamer

Going to see some really good stuff over the next year i think.

I understand the reluctance to believe that MS can do what they are saying, or that they will have to make serious concessions to reach their goals. They'll have to prove themselves for sure. But I believe that they'll hit their target of hitting XO framerates (or slightly better/more consistent) at native 4K with Scorpio.

I think they'll offer choice to the gamers with their own games who want to prioritize framerates and offer something similar to Sony's upscaling technology with their own first party games. As I said, I believe this because they will already be doing this work for the PC versions of their games. It just makes sense to let gamers decide what they prioritize and value. Aside from the problem of figuring out what to do with people playing competitive games with different performance/visuals, maybe they could do something like 1080p/60fps plays with PC gamers, and 4K/30fps plays with XO gamers, or maybe they will just let everyone play together always. Who knows?

As for 3rd party, I think they will choose first and foremost what makes sense for the game. They might choose to do the same/similar techniques as they do on the PS4 Pro, or they might go fully native. I think they'll make the games as similar as possible, with the Scorpio version running smoother and with a few more visual effects.

Cant wait for the PS5 to do 4k/60

Yeah, like our dream in last gen where we can't wait for PS4/XB1 to do 1080p/60 as the new standard.

It's not gonna happen. People still prefer higher resolution and high graphic settings over 60fps. And devs will deliver exactly that.

longdi

Banned
I'm sure he has. However, you have to advance the hardware at some point. It wont happen right away, but it will happen eventually once the hardware reaches a certain adoption level.

Same thing will happen with PS4 Pro being required when PS5 releases. Or something along those lines.

I disagree with this line. There will not be PS4 Pro exclusive games.

Sony has been clear and open with PS4 Pro. It is not a blur the line console. It is basically a PS4 with more grunt to satisfy core gamer and/or attract new buyers. Its a PS4 at the same $399, with a little more GPU power, or you buy a cheaper PS4 at $299 with less physical and carbon footprint. In past, you have 1 choice(slim) when joining mid-gen, now you have 2 choices.

Scorpio position is a big unknown however. As someone said earlier, i also feel MS will make some Scorpio exclusives games, a year down the road, and people(Xbox fans) wont mind the least.

leeh

She got interviewed, got asked a question and answered it.

You're making all this up in your head, what's transparent is that she just said 'all our first party games will be 4k'. That isn't hyping, it's making a clear cut statement of their proposed target.

Should gaming publications not ask representatives of the company questions what the gaming community want to know because people will be upset it will overshadow the hype of their product of choice?

Kibbles

Halo 5 runs 4k/60 on a 980ti, so sounds completely feasible. But tbh I want better looking games with better graphics tech. I'd rather have 1440p.

Nanashrew

Banned
4k the most important thing when barely anyone owns a 4k TV. Seems good.

It's often that people buy a device first before the TV upgrade. It even happened in the previous era with people buying HDTVs for their PS3s and 360s. MS is going all in for 4K to be an important part in pushing more to buy more 4K products.

they are going to try and ride this vapor hype until the end of next year arent they..? My goodness.

2394726-9860267869-iMYAd.gif

jabuseika

What makes you think that?

Uh... The CPU and GPU required to make that happen?

A 1070 paired with a decent i5 equivalent can achieve 4k at 30fps on medium-high settings, that's around $600 alone.

...and if they put another Jaguar on that thing, that'd be really sad.

Haines

Banned
Too good to be true? Huh?

It's coming a year later and it'll be a premium price.

Too good to be true, lol.

The year later thing is fine. I have a ps4 and currently no desire for a neo. Its a year too early i think.

The premium price could certainly be a let down, but we would have to know the price first.

yuraya

I don't think Microsoft charges a cent over $400 for this thing, btw. Isn't a 6TF machine going to be relatively cheap to produce by next summer? That's not bleeding edge for 2017.

New gen CPU + 6tflp gpu + 12gb of GDDR5 ram + 1-2 terabyte hdd = will be at least 500$ possibly more.

The new MS hardware team makes quality shit. Its not the 2013 MS anymore. And Spencer already said its a premium device so I wouldn't expect 400$.

Okay MS we can all wait a year now tha you promised us 4K native gameplay.
So... wait, what if Sony announces specs for PSV, or PSpro slim and can do 4k native + whatever else?
Point is, scorpio is irrelevant right now.

Even if you promise us a 399.99 price tag I still Wouldn't matter .

That's a big fucking promise, and even if they do pull it off I think competing at a low price point is more important commercially then going for the big performance.

But hey, I wish them the best.

Uh... The CPU and GPU required to make that happen?

A 1070 paired with a decent i5 can achieve 4k at 30fps on medium-high settings, that's around $600 alone.

...and if they put another Jaguar on that thing, that'd be really sad.

It's a console so it will be cheaper than a PC.
And 1070+i5 is $600 right now, not 1 year later.

leeh

New gen CPU + 6tflp gpu + 12gb of GDDR5 ram + 1-2 terabyte hdd = will be at least 500$ possibly more.

The new MS hardware team makes quality shit. Its not the 2013 MS anymore. And Spencer already said its a premium device so I wouldn't expect 400$.
It would be that now, were talking a year down the line here.

All powered up with the powah of the cloud! Love me some, MS talk about the future console, no one knows a thing and that's a year away from release!

Will laugh hard if Sony announces/release the ps4 pro plus edition Nov, 2017 and it's stonger than the scorpio hw wise! :)

Yea, we'll all laugh at how stupid that would be for Sony to do. Then I'd laugh at everyone who bought a PS4 Pro. lol

Okay MS we can all wait a year now tha you promised us 4K native gameplay.
So... wait, what if Sony announces specs for PSV, or PSpro slim and can do 4k native + whatever else?
Point is, scorpio is irrelevant right now.

Even if you promise us a 399.99 price tag I still Wouldn't matter .

So Sony going to screw PS4 Pro buyers?

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
Anything other than Forza M anyway. Let's just all hope it has decent AA and AF with the Scorpio.

Edit: Forgot about Halo.

Wouldn't there be less need for AA when rendering at full 4K?

Top Bottom