• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft partners to create Chinese game console

nib95

Banned
Michaelsoft Binbows taking over the world.
SXv.jpg

LOL.

On a side note, really strange move. The Xbox One is a games console and streaming (TV) device, so why not just push that over there instead?

Less surprised by this then I would think I'd be

Strange way of putting it but I doubt the Chinese government wants a strong MS presence like this

They'd much rather bring someone like MS in, learn what there is to learn and do as much of it as they can so they can have a state-run option

Yes even for game consoles

Could be big but I imagine the Chinese gov will want to push MS out before too long

Heard the same story time and time again

Especially with telecommunications

LTWheels

LOL.

On a side note, really strange move. The Xbox One is a games console and streaming (TV) device, so why not just push that over there instead?

If the tech basically ends up being a 360, then it will be cheaper to produce and they would already have a library of first party games that runs on the system that just need to be localised.

Also have to consider wages over in China, would be difficult to sell an Xbox One.

Is this like if Nintendo saw the Wuu knockoff console in China and decided to say, "hey, we might as well put our name on it"?

I love my Nontondu Wuu, BTW. Lots of hidden gems on it, even though it was ignored by third parties.

chronosic

Oh, they can finally use all of their DRM. The Chinese market must be used to it already what with all the censorship and restrictions.

I wish America had the same business policies as CHina. Only let Chinese companies sell products in America if an American company owns a majority share,.

For those that are unaware, China wont let companies like Valve sell products in China unless it is through a Chinese owned company. Steam is not allowed in China. I cant say if this applies to every type of company, but I've heard of this same situation quite a bit.

It seems like a pretty wise move on China's part and we should be doing the same with their products.

KoopaTheCasual

Hmm, yea I highly doubt they'd push something as advanced as the Xbox One especially if they have less than a majority control over the venture. Seems more likely that this will be either a spec'd equivalent to a 360, or even just a micro-console for cheap if the term "Bestpad" is anything to go off of. Either way, definitely did not see Microsoft of all people being so focused on China as a new potential market. Quick moves.

However, do we have any idea when this Bestpad is even supposed to release? From the limited information provided, it still seems like a ways off from being available.

PureGone

Banned
lol at all the people thinking its going to be the Xbox One.

Its going to be some cheap windows powered box, less powerful than a iPhone.

I wish America had the same business policies as CHina. Only let Chinese companies sell products in America if an American company owns a majority share,.

For those that are unaware, China wont let companies like Valve sell products in China unless it is through a Chinese owned company. Steam is not allowed in China. I cant say if this applies to every type of company, but I've heard of this same situation quite a bit.

It seems like a pretty wise move on China's part and we should be doing the same with their products.

I keep reading in the box office threads that hollywood must fork over a substantial split of the revenue in order to distribute their films there. I suspect if Microsoft is to see money from sales of the new device in China, it won't be anywhere near their normal share of a consumer electronics good elsewhere.

MrMephistoX

Unless everything is F2P or insanely cheap it's not getting anywhere. When I lived there you could get your console modded at any local upscale shopping mall.

If the tech basically ends up being a 360, then it will be cheaper to produce and they would already have a library of first party games that runs on the system that just need to be localised.

Also have to consider wages over in China, would be difficult to sell an Xbox One.

See above. There's a niche for richer kids who get the latest consoles but paying for software is not something commonly seen.

nib95

Banned

That's true. Guess it's going to be a budget impulse mass consumer orientated device.

Unless everything is F2P or insanely cheap it's not getting anywhere. When I lived there you could get your console modded at any local upscale shopping mall.

See above. There's a niche for richer kids who get the latest consoles but paying for software is not something commonly seen.

This. The people who think that countries like China and India are going to be some huge console market, just because the economy is booming are talking out their ass.

There's a reason why Japan is still seen as an important gaming market, while countries like India/China get the shrug, like you said... the huge wall of paying for software is the biggest hurdle for console companies to establish themselves in places like China.

They're used to downright piracy, they don't believe in paying an upward of $30, much less $60 for software, F2P market there is substantial , etc.

Until a shift in consumer mindset towards these kinds of things change, consoles will never be more than a niche there. A country like India sells only around 1 million consoles in 10 years, and majority of them are PS2s. That's insane.

It's not really about wages, no. There's enough of a Chinese middle-class now that China could become a large enough of a market for consoles. We're talking a country which is practically the biggest buyers of high-end luxury goods.

The problem is that the Chinese don't believe in paying for software, not the official retail price anyway. Unless Sony/MS/Nintendo sells their games at China with an 80% discount compared to US/UK prices, or basically makes a lot of their games F2P, it will be a very niche market for the next several years.

magenta

Despite hundreds of millions still in poverty, there is a growing middle class that is bigger than some developed European countries. There is already a grey market for modified X360's and PS3's. Apple sells millions of iPhone's in China so I don't see why they cannot sell next gen game consoles as well, just need to market it right.

Usobuko

Banned
China has vastly different gaming habits and purchasing decisions. Not to mention, Tencent is the King there and will unlikely be passive towards anyone coming into their market.

Despite hundreds of millions still in poverty, there is a growing middle class that is bigger than some developed European countries. There is already a grey market for modified X360's and PS3's. Apple sells millions of iPhone's in China so I don't see why they cannot sell next gen game consoles as well, just need to market it right.

With the exception of iPhones, phones sold in China come preloaded with dozens of apps, and/or illegal app stores where everything is free. (Lenovo, etc )

That's how much they hate paying for software.

nampad

Interesting deal. The exclusive Premiere League broadcasting rights of BesTV could be big.
Hope we get some information soon.

China has a pretty big beef with Japan. They are not BFF at all.

If you're referring to that island matter, the hostility is pretty much gone now. There will be lingering sentiments, but Japanese firms are on track to return to their previous peaks.

If you're generalising, then you have no idea what you're talking about.

Top Bottom