• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft partners to create Chinese game console

Willing to bet once the ban is off, China will be Nintendo and Sony land. You know, like the rest of Asia.

I always remember hearing that outside Japan, the PC and the Smartphone are the dominant devices for gaming in these territories, due to their head start and the rampant piracy in these markets. Also, when it comes to the legitimate console market in these territories, Microsoft does actually have a decent market share over there; as the Pro-Japanese sentiment is considerably weaker in places such as South Korea and Singapore.

I always remember hearing that outside Japan, the PC and the Smartphone are the dominant devices for gaming in these territories, due to their head start and the rampant piracy in these markets. Also, when it comes to the legitimate console market in these territories, Microsoft does actually have a decent market share over there; as the Pro-Japanese sentiment is considerably weaker in places such as South Korea and Singapore.

Xbox has a decent market share there because Xbox360 was easily moddable, and pirated DVDs were easily available for sale.

It has nothing to do with sentiments. You can expect the leading console in countries like India,China and many parts of Asia to be determined by which console gets jailbroken first with a healthy pirate market.

SiteSeer

get bill gates to come out of hiding and do a promo for xbox and the chinese will be all over that. they love bill gates.

whaaaaaaaaaat? why not just sell the Xbox? Why spend more on R&D? This is truly strange. It is a huge market but they already have a new gaming console and it is made in China! smh

nightever

China has vastly different gaming habits and purchasing decisions. Not to mention, Tencent is the King there and will unlikely be passive towards anyone coming into their market.

Guess what?people may actually get their true HD monster hunter game on console this time. lol

numble

This. The people who think that countries like China and India are going to be some huge console market, just because the economy is booming are talking out their ass.

There's a reason why Japan is still seen as an important gaming market, while countries like India/China get the shrug, like you said... the huge wall of paying for software is the biggest hurdle for console companies to establish themselves in places like China.

They're used to downright piracy, they don't believe in paying an upward of $30, much less $60 for software, F2P market there is substantial , etc.

Until a shift in consumer mindset towards these kinds of things change, consoles will never be more than a niche there. A country like India sells only around 1 million consoles in 10 years, and majority of them are PS2s. That's insane.
Just look how quickly Hollywood went from complaining about rampant piracy to doing everything they can to get their movies in movie theaters. The Chinese box office went from practically nothing to now being larger than Japan's box office in just a couple of years. There is a growing market willing to pay for goods.

Vormund

whaaaaaaaaaat? why not just sell the Xbox? Why spend more on R&D? This is truly strange. It is a huge market but they already have a new gaming console and it is made in China! smh

I'd say it's just a rebadged Xbox anyway. MS just have to go through a local partner, I think it's a requirement there judging by the auto industry in china.

There is a growing market willing to pay for goods.

I don't deny there is. There's definitely real merit for corporations to invest into building up their presence in China.

However, I am downplaying that the notion that China will be a relevant console gaming market for the next 5 years at least. Imo, it will be a large niche market, and maybe even the largest market in Asia ( excluding Japan ), but it will not be something that is a megaton.

Not yet, anyway.

Interesting that Microsoft doesn't have the controlling share in the venture. Seems like this is them dipping their toe in the water to get some market experience before inevitably launching their own thing there (anyone remember Dreamcast?)

hardvibes

AHAHAH!

Too bad in China and especially in Shanghai (I live there) internet sucks so bad.
At home I got a 20mb fibre optic China Telecom connection and I'm lucky if I play 1 Tekken/Fifa match without lagging out. Everything is set for "best" results and console is in DMZ.
But it's still like having a 56k. Half of the pictures and gifs posted on NeoGaf fail to load after 1 minute.

BTW, IPTV is a pain in the ass....buffering every 10 seconds.

At work it's even worse: our email works with Bluehost and for the last 2 days we got stuck at the office, couldn't send or receive any message. But it's not Bluehost's fault...it's the fucking stupid chinese Internet Service Provider.
I can't even send a single 2 MB PPT file to my colleagues via Skype.
The only thing that works fine is Wetransfer.

Synth

Yes. But W8 = Windows 8. WP8 = Windows Phone 8...that's the distinction being referred to...

To be fair though, "Xbox technology" could mean any number of things. I use smartglass, gain achievements, send messages, customise my avatar etc, through my WP8. I'd argue that would qualify as Xbox technology.

MCD

So why didn't MS change/rebrand the Xbox in Japan to Toshiba box or something? Seems like the best way to approach these markets.

FeiRR

Banned
On a side note, really strange move. The Xbox One is a games console and streaming (TV) device, so why not just push that over there instead?
It's too expensive. This will probably be X360-based as someone has already mentioned.

I wonder if it is in any way related to Epic being so quiet recently (Epic is owned and managed by a Chinese company).

It's probably going to be exactly like the vita tv in which it will have the guts of a mobile phone. The thing will probably be between an xbox and xbox360 in power but will have the same access the vita tv has to PSN. So this will probably have access to microsoft's cloud service as well.

To think that Microsoft and Sony aren't going to make a sub hd platform for the billions of people in developing countries is stupid. That's what this and vita tv are for. It's just business folks!

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
what is the logic of 'china needs a special console' exactly? Is it purely a money thing (as in china doesn't have much) or is it more from 'but they might pirate things'? because if it's option 2....

Stronty

what is the logic of 'china needs a special console' exactly?

So that Chinese companies can get a foothold by requiring joint ventures with local companies and keeping out foreign competition, so that profits stay onshore instead of leaving. Kinda like reinventing the wheel when more advanced consoles already exist. That is why you will see company names like Hitachi/Koki or Panasonic/XXX chinaco etc.

nightever

Chinese government confirmed today foreign companys registered in Shanghai Free Trade Zone can sell consoles to mainlain China.

nightever

In a latest interview, vice president of BestTV say the joint-veture company will sell XBone in China. They hope Xbox One official launch in mainland China in mid-2014, which is pretty early considering other Asia countries' rumoured launch period.
Interestingly, Kaz visited China last week and reconfirmed to media that sony is preparing for selling consoles in mainland China.
I think both company will have a big chance to creat a new market this time.

statham

In a latest interview, vice president of BestTV say the joint-veture company will sell XBone in China. They hope Xbox One official launch in mainland China in mid-2014, which is pretty early considering other Asia countries' rumoured launch period.
Interestingly, Kaz visited China last week and reconfirmed to media that sony is preparing for selling consoles in mainland China.
I think both company will have a big chance to creat a new market this time.

this is a brand new market for both, glad they are both ready.

My prediction is that they'll sell well for week one among the most affluent enthusiasts, and then the sales will take a nosedive as the casual gamer go back to their PC master race.

Also, I'll make a,crazy prediction.

Xbox in China will eventually be the only place in the world where f2p games are not behind a Gold paywall.

Top Bottom