• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Studios' creative director has some choice words about always-online

jtb

Banned
known for all the wrong reasons :/

Guy played bass for Weezer on a couple tracks. I can respect that.

The problem with using Chrome is that Google knows me too well

gGaBAWI.png

There's always incognito.

bill0527

Goddamn the Internet can be vicious.

Yeah he fucked up.

But when is enough, enough?

Its like people are out for blood and not gonna rest until he gets fired. That's how the Internet operates.

Thorgal

Wow. 20+ more pages. Updated list, that you can replace the OP one with if you want shinobi.

Oh and yes, eventually even:

nothing_stops_this_train-9763.gif

Microsoft Press Release:
"We are aware of the comments made by an employee on Twitter. This person is not a spokesperson for Microsoft, and his personal views are not reflective of those of the company. We have not made any announcements about our product roadmap, and have no further comment on this matter."

I think this post deserves to be stickied as a memento of what gaf has achieved today.

Persona86

Banned

Yeah he fucked up.

Its like people are out for blood and not gonna rest until he gets fired. That's how the Internet operates.

Yeah remember that rude email guy. (can't remember the names, but that got crazy)

Pennywise

I think that's a good thing. They could use a cooling off period. Console launches get a bit heated and it's annoying having to sift through so much agenda driven and corporate apalogist nonsense.

The same needs to happen to some pro-Sony people as well. Thankfully the Nintendo lot have been dealt with and calmed down already

For a 160+ pages thread, it actually wasn't so bad.
Of course there were the hardliners who tried to label everyone as pirate, and the Penguin.
His postings could be copied right out of a viral marketing book...

Apart from them, it wasn't so bad and could have been worse.
It's actually nice to see so much uproar about such a topic.

Yeah he fucked up.

torches-and-pitchforks.jpg

in a serious note, i think we're done. detective gaf followed it up, it made headlines on sites, and who knows what will happen to the guy.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
There are tons of pro Microsoft fans not posting in this topic.

Most are actually connected to the franchises instead like Halo, Forza, Alan Wake, Gears, ...etc

On the hardware end, MS is potentially fucking up the image of the software end, which is undeserved.
This. It has absolutely nothing to do with the developers behind great games like Halo and the like. Hopefully people can separate that.

Toppot

Man there are a lot of cunts on this board who will defend anything. Fuck you guys that even defend the IDEA of MS doing this.

Admit it, ever since Evilore allowed the use of the word "cunt", everyone has been trying to find a way to squeeze it in a sentence.

Context is everything, just because you can use the word cunt doesn't mean you are allowed to go around calling people it in an offensive way.

Bitch is totally fine if you are having a discussion about dog breed and pedigree's but if you call someone a bitch you are liable to be banned.

Petrae

Yeah he fucked up.

I don't agree with the mob mentality, but this is another example of how powerful social media is and how you absolutely, positively need to think before you post-- especially if your profile points to you as an employee of a significant company. You are, indirectly, representing your employer and your opinions will be used against you (and that employer) if they're deemed improper or offensive.

This isn't the first example of Internet Justice, and it won't be the last.

Shahed

For a 160+ pages thread, it actually wasn't so bad.
Of course there were the hardliners who tried to label everyone as pirate, and the Penguin.
His postings could be copied right out of a viral marketing book...

Apart from them, it wasn't so bad and could have been worse.
It's actually nice to see so much uproar about such a topic.

I actually think this topic has been alright since a lot of the usual suspects that would have tried to come up with a way to defend this were already banned. It was in other topics where I was wondering why things seemed a bit more pleasant on GAF recently, until I discovered certain members were banned.

There's nothing wrong with being a fan or pro whoever. Just be rational and use some common sense is all

KidBeta

I don't agree with the mob mentality, but this is another example of how powerful social media is and how you absolutely, positively need to think before you post-- especially if your profile points to you as an employee of a significant company. You are, indirectly, representing your employer and your opinions will be used against you (and that employer) if they're deemed improper or offensive.

This isn't the first example of Internet Justice, and it won't be the last.

Exactly if your public twitter account is connected to a high profile company then you should behave in a professional manner on said account.

Feel sorry for that guy now, he could lost his Job next days, surely his future in MS is unknown

I don't feel sorry for him. If he was my employee, I'd detach the firm away the situation and eliminate his ass.

He insulted and condescended in a public capacity knowing full well of the subject and his professional position. He should have kept his mouth shut. PR 101. He then continued to have his fun with false equivalencies that are detriment to MS. Debate 101. He can piss off.

<NeoGAF posters> If the next Xbox uses online-only DRM, I won't buy it! I'll buy a PS4.
<Arthur Gies> If the next Xbox uses online-only DRM, don't buy it. Buy a PS4.
<NeoGAF posters> What a condescending jackass.

Yep.

Was it Gies who said GAF was constructing a narrative and everything had to fit into it? It was accurate.

The amount of people who have gotten into trouble with twitter is insane, don't people ever learn from other peoples mistakes?

Apparently not. And Twitter is not a free pass to say shit when you represent a firm, whether people like that or not; furthermore, this situation is indication of that. What a bozo :/

Yawnier

Banned
Is anybody here a confirmed follower of Mr. Orth? I'm curious if he has tweeted anything in the past few hours and his twitter is protected now, of course.

saunderez

Oh, no, no, no. This isn't going to go unnoticed. If it ends up the next Xbox is NOT always online that isn't going to be some sort of big bullet point that deserves praise. It shouldn't have been considered in the first place. If Microsoft doesn't do this then I'll eat crow, but I won't praise them. If Microsoft ends up doing this then they can eat shit and I'll get a PS4.
My thoughts exactly.

Boss Man

images

The Internet is tough. When you get out there in it, you'll realize that it doesn't care about you. It will chew you up and spit you out. Then it'll draw dicks all over your face and make it look like all of your favorite animes are saying bad things about you. You think it's all fun and games now, but once you get out there in the real Internet...you better man up quick. There's no love here, none of those people are actually amateurs. Those are professionals. It's a lie, it's all a big lie. You just gotta hide your IP and watch the tracks you leave behind.

I love you son.

saunderez

This thread is still going on... 24 hours nonstop... Holy crap.

Kudos everyone.
The squeaky wheel gets the grease, let's just see if Microsoft and others are willing to test us for real by attempting this. We aren't the mindless drones they sometimes take us for.

Revven

Yeah he fucked up.

This really isn't about Adam Orth anymore at this point. It's about how it's very or close to extremely likely Microsoft is going always-online for their next console; from the recent rumor from yesterday (which sparked Adam Orth to "damage control" in the first place) to a comment from another dev about making sure to pay your ISP bills (it's in the OP iirc) to all the other rumors prior to all of this.

It really isn't a "witchhunt" for one man. People are just using what Adam Orth said to poke fun at his stupidity; said stupidity likely to be shared among the other employees working at Microsoft (despite whatever PR bullshit MS can spew to try and dispel it).

Everybody in this thread has moved off of the comments Orth made about smaller cities etc. for the most part. (That isn't to say they've been forgotten, oh heavens no).

Funchameleon said:
Yep.

Was it Gies who said GAF was constructing a narrative and everything had to fit into it? It was accurate.

Read the many posts/pages after what you quoted and you'll understand where a ton of people are coming from about Arthur Gies.

This really isn't about Adam Orth anymore at this point. It's about how it very or close to extremely likely Microsoft is going always-online for their next console; from the recent rumor from yesterday (which sparked Adam Orth to "damage control" in the first place) to a comment from another dev about making sure to pay your ISP bills (it's in the OP iirc) to all the other rumors prior to all of this.

It really isn't a "witchhunt" for one man. People are just using what Adam Orth said to poke fun at his stupidity; said stupidity likely to be shared among the other employees working at Microsoft (despite whatever PR bullshit MS can spew to try and dispel it).

Everybody in this thread has moved off of the comments Orth made about smaller cities etc. for the most part.

Read the many posts/pages after what you quoted and you'll understand where a ton of people are coming from about Arthur Gies.

Well said.

Also, in PR 101 we learned that people assume the worst without being given all of the facts. MS needs to:

• damage control (refute speculated points)
  • mitigate risk (silence/fire orthox and use as a example)

Top Bottom