• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Studios' creative director has some choice words about always-online

Wow. 20+ more pages. Updated list, that you can replace the OP one with if you want shinobi.

nothing_stops_this_train-9763.gif

Microsoft Press Release:
"We are aware of the comments made by an employee on Twitter. This person is not a spokesperson for Microsoft, and his personal views are not reflective of those of the company. We have not made any announcements about our product roadmap, and have no further comment on this matter."

You can add this one too, it is in Turkish.
Merlinin Kazanı: Microsoft Xbox sizi ne kadar umursuyor?

Acorn

The squeaky wheel gets the grease, let's just see if Microsoft and others are willing to test us for real by attempting this. We aren't the mindless drones they sometimes take us for.
I still fear that the general market is quite happy getting screwed therefore dragging us all into the always online shitastic future.

I still fear that the general market is quite happy getting screwed therefore dragging us all into the always online shitastic future.

I think a lot of people in the more general market may have shifted away from consoles, thus making it more important to not let things like this get too out of control amongst enthusiast communities.

ypo

Wow. 20+ more pages. Updated list, that you can replace the OP one with if you want shinobi.

Oh and yes, eventually even:

nothing_stops_this_train-9763.gif

Microsoft Press Release:
"We are aware of the comments made by an employee on Twitter. This person is not a spokesperson for Microsoft, and his personal views are not reflective of those of the company. We have not made any announcements about our product roadmap, and have no further comment on this matter."

At this point it's beyond stupid to go thru with this plan. There is no way MS will stick with it.

Revven

Well said.

Also, in PR 101 we learned that people assume the worst without being given all of the facts. MS needs to:

• damage control (refute speculated points)
  • mitigate risk (silence/fire orthox and use as a example)

They'll do neither and continue with whatever internal plans they have; ignoring 90% of this "catastrophe" and try to spin always-online as "the future of the Xbox and entertainment" at their event unveiling.

Their PR statement(s) from today literally shows how much they care. I mean, great! You're aware of it, Microsoft. But... you've done nothing to keep people from thinking anything negative.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
Just got home from work..god damn this thread fucking EXPLODED. Twitter is a dangerous thing.

Also Dat Sunhi gif.

The number of websites this whole mess has hit is insane. This doesn't even include the youtube videos out there. It's only going to get worse if MS doesn't say something.

damn

Or they can not do that and let the situation get even more out of control, which is oh so much more fun.

I'm sort of hoping that this is an elaborate scheme to announce that the Durango does not have such a fucking Draconian always online restriction :)

I can't figure out how this could be pro-consumer...

I was in commute today to a meeting and my phone lost signal. I was able to listen to music, show a colleague some photos, waste a little time in a game, and shoot video of some documents for later viewing. All of this while the signal was at zero bars.

Wouldn't this have a larger impact in burgeoning markets? BRIC countries? Really, central/south America, eastern Europe, and southeast Asia in general?

They'd essentially be giving up the fight in markets where Sony is already outperforming Microsoft given their larger, more globalized supply/manufacturing chain.

Acorn

The idea of customers willing taking part in a corporate bukkake is disturbing enough.
Happens all the time. Nobody cares that digital has eroded all ownership rights in pretty much every media industry and none are clamouring for rights to be established regarding ownership.

saunderez

I support it. Can you give a concise reason against it other than "my internet might go out"?
Go back in time to the Simcity launch and play it and tell me always online isn't a problem. Now extrapolate that to every game you own. If you're willing to put up with that you're a corporate shill.

DaBoss

Just go on Google and search "deal with it". Set the results to show everything from the past hour and read the first page.

I support it. Can you give a concise reason against it other than "my internet might go out"?

Can you give a single reason why it is a good idea to say fuck off to anybody without internet, overseas, or that doesn't want to be chained to a company's servers to play games that have nothing to do with actually being online? Preferably other than the "well not my problem, I'm always online!" bullshit only idiots have been toting.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Wouldn't this have a larger impact in burgeoning markets? BRIC countries? Really, central/south America, eastern Europe, and southeast Asia in general?

They'd essentially be giving up the fight in markets where Sony is already outperforming Microsoft given their larger, more globalized supply/manufacturing chain.

They can't serve them ads if they don't support Live, which is a large part of their revenue stream.

I'm confused... Is this thread about always-on or about always-online? Those are two very different things. Always-on is nice. Always-online (as in not functioning without) isn't!
The MS employee seems like he was talking about always-on, not always-online...

Revven

I'm confused... Is this thread about always-on or about always-online? Those are two very different things. Always-on is nice. Always-online (as in not functioning without) isn't!
The MS employee seems like he was talking about always-on, not always-online...

Always-online. For sure.

Top Bottom