• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Studios' creative director has some choice words about always-online

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I haven't read the last 20 or so pages but has Jaffe posted in this thread yet?

Yep. Nothing too surprising. He defended his friend's character, downplayed it all a bit by saying it was a misunderstanding, and distanced himself from the always-online issue.

When I first read it, I thought he was obfuscating, seemingly putting the emphasis on everything but the always-only comments. But Jaffe is a generally a straight shooter and this thing is bigger than gaf, so who knows, maybe it played out a bit differently over on reddit or whatever.

Sorral

Seriously? People are saying gaf posters are similar to pirates by not supporting this? Well guess who is still going to suffer when the pirated bypasses the system?

Then there's the people who say the masses will buy it anyway...do you play games for games or do you play for sales and company profit? IF YOU WANT TO DEFEND THIS TELL ME HOW IT IS GOOD TO GAMERS NOT SOME CORPORATION.

QFT.
I want to hear a real reason and case for why should I be denied access to what I bought when my connection drops for one reason or another.
Maybe one day when the internet works like a utility where there is electracity, there will be internet and just as reliably. But that day isn't in this year nor anytime soon.
And it would work without being turned off in a few years just because the company chose to.

I WAS HAVING INTERNET PROBLEMS WHEN I WAS MAKING THE GIF

BIZ*TAKE made a MIZ*TAKE

XYvLnP8_zps600630b1.gif

Amey

What happens when on the eve of a major release like CoD or Halo everyone around world tries to Login at the same time?
And those few who get in, don't wanna leave without playing 10-15 hour long multi-player sessions ?

Are M$ servers prepared for that kind of scenario?

Reiko

Banned
Yep. Nothing too surprising. He defended his friend's character, downplayed it all a bit by saying it was a misunderstanding, and distanced himself from the always-online issue.

When I first read it, I thought he was obfuscating, seemingly putting the emphasis on everything but the always-only comments. But Jaffe is a generally a straight shooter and this thing is bigger than gaf, so who knows, maybe it played out a bit differently over on reddit or whatever.

Good on Jaffe, but man... This is a mess.

Zeppelin

What happens when on the eve of a major release like CoD or Halo everyone around world tries to Login at the same time?
And those few who get in, don't wanna leave without playing 10-15 hour long multi-player sessions ?

The same thing that happens when that crowd logs into Xbox Live to play CoD/Halo today? Activating a game shouldn't require much more bandwidth than signing in to Xbox Live.

Are M$ servers prepared for that kind of scenario?

Are you twelve?

Razorwind

Wonder what would happen to gamers where internet penetration is good, but costs a bomb and have hard caps for data (e.g. Australia)

I'll put it this way. Everyone who has owned a PS3 for sure experienced more downtime doing mandatory installs for games and firmware updates when they wanted to play a game than the downtime people would have experienced had the 360 required online to play games. Look at the PS3, it still sold.

Um...XBox Live was down for like TWO FUCKING WEEKS (in late-Dec early-Jan 2007-2008, IIRC). You might not remember it, but I sure as hell do.

People were PISSED. People even sued. Can you imagine how bad it would have been if people wouldn't be able to use their Xboxes at all?

Just stop posting.

Will MS respond? Somehow I doubt it, nothing they would say would come across as anything other than knee-jerk. Their arrogant air of overconfidence is actually their biggest only marketing strategy.

RetroStu

Banned
I'm more of an Xbox guy but this Adam guy sounds like an arrogant dickhead and the way he's taking the piss out of people with concerns over this and posting stupid Obama gifs is hilariously childish. Fuck him and fuck the Durango.

Will MS respond? Somehow I doubt it, nothing they would say would come across as anything other than knee-jerk. Their arrogant air of overconfidence is actually their biggest only marketing strategy.

"Microsoft does not comment on rumor or speculation."

Anything between the first post and this page worth mentioning? I don't think I want to read all 63 pages ;)
Some great meme pics. A Jaffe response. And many many sites are covering the story like cnet, the verge, etc...

Great thread. Recommended reading for sure.

LuuKyK

Why are you trying so hard to equivocate a person who stealing games with a person who buys games but isn't willing to bend over and take anti-consumer practices?

Im afraid you will never get your answer. BIZ*TAKE is now BIZ*TOOK.

I was supposed to leave this thread 3 hours ago. Dammit GAF.

Seriously. :S

I don't know if this has already been posted but it appears a dev has also confirmed this:

http://www.gamechup.com/developer-o...l-i-can-say-is-be-sure-to-pay-your-isp-bills/

Its in the OP.

Reiko

Banned
All this thread needed was sacrifices to bish and we got it.

artist... Thinking back about our past comments on specs none of that really matters now.

I mean MS could put a Titan GPU in there and I still wouldn't buy it on principle.

They better have some godly PR to counter this.

Anything between the first post and this page worth mentioning? I don't think I want to read all 63 pages ;)

David Jaffe cameo.

I'm sure this has been said before, but how can this guy seriously not tell how that analogy is shit?

Vacuums require electricity to work at their core design. Cell phones require reception at their core design. Both are fundamental necessities of operation. Video games that do not have online components do not require to be online in any fundamental way. Inventing an arbitrary requirement isn't the same as needing to fulfill a real requirement out of necessity.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything

Summary?

Um.... always-online is looking to be an irl thing, so MS can go eat some dicks.

Top Bottom