• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Studios' creative director has some choice words about always-online

You missed this:

juDiybQ.jpg

Haha...

Ice cold..

Oxx

I'm reading this in my phone because my internet stopped working.

A terrifying and hilarious vision of the future.

R1CHO

This is weird, i always though that the "always online" was a philosophy, and not a requirement.

I still thing that this guy may just be trolling, has he seem to be a good troll, but now this has actually exploded in his face.

JCreasy

Microsoft is going to have all the 3rd party support and Sony is going to have shitty 3rd party support like the Wii U; or

Ok

What's the value for publishers if they throw this kind of support behind Microsoft and Sony ends up having the bigger install base?

I could happen. If consumer sentiment grows bitter on Durango, what then?

I dunno, I think it would be ver short-sighted for big publishers.

Torraz

I despise the Playstation controller. I have much preferred my 360 this generation. I still love Gears of War. I could deal with Kinect if the technology improved. I actually like XBox Live and don't mind paying for it.

Yet I shall be pre-ordering a Playstation 4 the minute that always-online XBox is confirmed... Unless the announcement is when the shops aren't open, but you GET MY DRIFT.

At least for the PS3 there is an adapter where you can use your XBOX controller with your PS3. I have it and it works great.

Good chance of there being one for PS4 too.

Ok

What's the value for publishers if they throw this kind of support behind Microsoft and Sony ends up having the bigger install base?

I could happen. If consumer sentiment grows bitter on Durango, what then?

I dunno, I think it would be ver short-sighted for big publishers.

Well, we need only look at the Wii to see that publishers are more than happy to ignore the console with the bigger install base if it doesn't meet with their requirements.

Terrell

Assuming he gets seriously reprimanded for this, I don't see a reason to have ill will towards his job position. I think it would be best to stick to criticizing his points in a discussion here. No point in commenting what should happen to his employment or making much talk about him personally.

A lot of the time making a mistake and not using your common sense are the same thing. If you look on gleefully as someone gets fired over a twitter post then wtf? This internet crucifxion crap has to stop.

I'm not looking on gleefully, nor do I have ill will. That doesn't mean I'm sympathetic, either. Lacking sympathy is not synonymous with hate or schadenfreude.

So you are saying this dude's livelihood should be destroyed over some stupid spat on Twitter? Okay. Seriously I think people in this thread need some serious perspective before they go handing off someone to the wolves.

Should it be? No. But I'm not going to shed tears if it comes to pass, either.

He works for Microsoft and has a public spat on Twitter that's bound to generate negative press. As an employee of a multi-national (which he proudly advertises to the public), he should know what this would mean. He did it anyway. It's not like this could have possibly come as a surprise, it was a deliberate disregard of consequence.

At what point do we finally start adding accountability back into the sympathy equation, exactly? Being sympathetic to people who act without common sense is ludicrous and is what leads to things like the reporting of the Steubenville trial by the national media, where they're all feeling sorry for men who knowingly committed a violent crime.
(I know it's not on the same level by any stretch of the imagination, I use it as an example that everyone reading is likely familiar with and nothing more)

If I'm gonna feel bad about the situation at all, it won't be for him, it'll be the people it effects BECAUSE of him. It's a distinction worth making.

MormaPope

Banned
I share the sentiment, even though he was a bit stupid Microsoft's ridiculous policies aren't his fault.

He got flustered over internet discourse and dissent over something he may or may not be involved in, then he ran his mouth off. Microsoft employee's have had to read and listen to criticism and scathing hate for a very long time now, they deal with it in ways where they don't spawn huge controversy.

Adamm

Well, we need only look at the Wii to see that publishers are more than happy to ignore the console with the bigger install base if it doesn't meet with their requirements.

If Wii games sold as well as their ps360 counterpart then they would have put more effort in

p3tran

Banned
  • NeoGAF user Shinobi screen caps the tweets of Adam Orth, Creative Director at MSFT Studios.
  • These tweets contain the fallacious analogies you see in OP -- in defense of an always-online console box.
  • In conjunction with the Kotaku thread about the always-online rumors, this thread blows up.
  • The story is picked up by popular gaming sites including CVG, Verge, Kotaku, and others.
  • David Jaffe attempts to defend the character of Adam -- but particularly his comments regarding rural towns in the US and their online infrastructure.
  • Adam attempts to excuse the tweets as jokes and locks his twitter account.
  • Detective-GAF then finds an alleged dev on a separate forum claiming one should keep up with their ISP bills (implying some truth to the rumor).
  • Detective-GAF then confirms that alleged dev to be an actual developer working on next-gen games.
  • The story continues to blow up on reddit, reaching the front page with thousands of comments.
  • A user in the reddit thread claims Adam is an ass in person and he insists on being called 'sweet billy.'
  • Detective-GAF then confirms Adam's is in fact, user sweet billy, here on GAF.

well, sweet billy's confirmations just made the next xbox jump right above ..wii u on my next gen buy list :)

Hero

Holy shit this thread is amazing. It's times like these I love neoGAF the most. Can't wait for the repercussions.

Top Bottom