• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Studios' creative director has some choice words about always-online

Reiko

Banned
It's already hit IGN.de, will be picked up in the US and elsewhere shortly.

http://de.ign.com/news/18433/next-gen-xbox-always-online-zwang-bestaetigt-

Denzel-Boom.gif

Truant

What a nightmare. Microsoft hasn't even announced the damn thing. I'm glad I don't work in the consumer market. Shit's rough.

I think developers will use this momentum to try convince microsoft otherwise on the whole no-online ordeal. Especially with kotaku getting more sources confirming it.

Best defense in this thread so far.

"Always online is good, it'll help innovate game design so people don't have to design for offline anymore."

Yeah, because Witcher 2, Skyrim, and a bazillion other franchises will somehow be improved and forever changed with always-online.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I've been checking this topic since it was about 4 pages long and I just wanted to say ..

Gaf, I love you. *Tear*

Adamm

It will be rather interesting if MS is forced to comment on a product they haven't even announced yet.

Yeah Microsoft is in a really crappy position if this isn't true, because they cannot deny it because it hasn't been announced.

They'll have to just sit back and take the abuse

I don't mean to be that guy, but I think GAF should calm down a bit now and let this guy have a break.

I'm sure we are all fully aware of the logistical problems with the always online model, but lets also keep in mind that this becomes less of an issue as servers and network bases become more stable and plentiful.

If Wii games sold as well as their ps360 counterpart then they would have put more effort in

Wii games weren't given the chance, the reason is undoubtedly because publishers weren't happy with some elements of the console and simply chose to ignore it or used poorly developed titles to excuse their lack of support for the console.

Ok true, I guess you're right.

Nevermind then.

Publishers would cut their own nose off to spite their face. They live in a bubble where the only rules are to stamp out used game sales and stop piracy. At all costs.

unbias

Yeah Microsoft is in a really crappy position if this isn't true, because they cannot deny it because it hasn't been announced.

They'll have to just sit back and take the abuse

I'm not sure why they would have to comment on their xbox. Saying that their next system wont always require an internet connection isn't a "spoiler" unless it is true.

Hana-Bi

If this is really not true then MS has to act now. If they just leave this uncommented then this always-on thing will be burned in peoples mind...

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
I can't decide if this tops the Jeff Bell thread or not. But they're both pretty legendary at this point.

Alcander

Should it be? No. But I'm not going to shed tears if it comes to pass, either.

He works for Microsoft and has a public spat on Twitter that's bound to generate negative press. As an employee of a multi-national (which he proudly advertises to the public), he should know what this would mean. He did it anyway. It's not like this could have possibly come as a surprise, it was a deliberate disregard of consequence.

At what point do we finally start adding accountability back into the sympathy equation, exactly? Being sympathetic to people who act without common sense is ludicrous and is what leads to things like the reporting of the Steubenville trial by the national media, where they're all feeling sorry for men who knowingly committed a violent crime.
(I know it's not on the same level by any stretch of the imagination, I use it as an example that everyone reading is likely familiar with and nothing more)

If I'm gonna feel bad about the situation at all, it won't be for him, it'll be the people it effects BECAUSE of him. It's a distinction worth making.

Sorry, can't agree entirely. He's expressed his opinion on always on in a public forum. I'll just leave it at that it was a bone-headed move, but has been drastically blown out of proportion and doesn't deserve the pyre.

bakedpony

This is probably one of the few threads in which is GAF is pretty much united (except for some MIZ*TAKES).

Great thread for Sweet Billy!

Wow, I've had steam offline for almost 4 weeks with no problem a lot, to prevent updates for games. Only thing I can think of is your computer was restarted before you were able to make steams offline mode default for a PC reboot.

From what i read during the time, you were lucky. Steams offline mode is a glitchy pile of shit, and has been for years.
It has to be, otherwise you can just give someone your login creds, they download all your games, go offline, then play forever.
Even in offline mode it still phones home to check authenticity. If your computer is actually severed from any network though, it soon locks you out.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
If this is really not true then MS has to act now. If they just leave this uncommented then this always-on thing will be burned in peoples mind...

They can't afford not to reply now. Even if this turns out to be untrue when they eventually announce their console, there will be millions of people around the world who'll still THINK it is true.

Let's see if PS4 preorders go up in the next few days.

I'm not sure where that poster who does thread recaps is -- but I'll try my best..

• NeoGAF user Shinobi screen caps the tweets of Adam Orth, Creative Director at MSFT Studios.
  • These tweets contain the fallacious analogies you see in OP -- in defense of an always-online console box.
  • In conjunction with the Kotaku thread about the always-online rumors, this thread blows up.
  • The story is picked up by popular gaming sites including CVG, Verge, Kotaku, and others.
  • David Jaffe attempts to defend the character of Adam -- but particularly his comments regarding rural towns in the US and their online infrastructure.
  • Adam attempts to excuse the tweets as jokes and locks his twitter account.
  • Detective-GAF then finds an alleged dev on a separate forum claiming one should keep up with their ISP bills (implying some truth to the rumor).
  • Detective-GAF then confirms that alleged dev to be an actual developer working on next-gen games.
  • The story continues to blow up on reddit, reaching the front page with thousands of comments.
  • A user in the reddit thread claims Adam is an ass in person and he insists on being called 'sweet billy.'
  • Detective-GAF then confirms Adam is in fact, sweet billy, here on GAF.

Thanks for this, This thread has been really crazy. Can't wait to see if Microsoft will do anything about this.

Thorgal

i imagine Kaz Hirai and Mark Cerny are dancing on kaz's desk right about now while Jack Tretton is poping the champagne bottles and Andrew House is bringing the girls for the party.

Top Bottom