• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Studios' creative director has some choice words about always-online

Torraz

Coolwhip

Banned
Maybe GAF actually makes MS change their mind. This is negative press MS doesn't want, but if they really go for always online, there isn't much they can do to counter it.

Perkel

Banned
If rumors are true then MS already lost next generation. US have shitty internet but now consider rest of world like india/china/brazil/AU/russia. Damn even in Europe there are places where still good quality internet is rare.

For example me. from 18 to 22 i simply can't play online games since my connection is dropping every 10-30 minutes (to much people using internet in area). So i won't buy nextbox because i won't have a chance to play it after work (18-22).

Let's hope MS goes for fucking brain tissue and change it.

UberTag

Not really. He single-handedly killed off a marketing budget of soon to be hundreds of millions? If the console is always online -- that was a decision made by executives -- not by a creative director. The truth* was going to come out eventually.
In an ideal world for Microsoft, though... they would have probably liked the truth to have not come out from a guy who calls himself Sweet Billy who went on record saying "FUCK HALO" and made a big deal about the Halo 3 advertising campaign disrespecting America's armed forces.

Microsoft isn't going to respond to this. News outlets have been writing about the Nextbox being always online and not playing used games for months now. They still haven't said a thing. We're not gonna hear a peep from them until they officially announce the console. "We don't comment on rumors or speculation" is the best you can hope for until then.

There's a big difference to prior rumors, this came out of the mouth of a MS employee...they can't just sit on that.

Sera O

Banned
Not really. He single-handedly killed off a marketing budget of soon to be hundreds of millions? If the console is always online -- that was a decision made by executives -- not by a creative director. The truth* was going to come out eventually.

Yeah but they could have shaped the message and sold it to a less suspicious crowd, rather than have it come out in a way that seems so snotty and inconsiderate of people who don't have the privilege of living somewhere with great internet. This guy managed to be offensive for no good reason and burn good will. Not good to be starting at a disadvantage at a point when interest is high, your competitor seems quite strong, and you haven't even acknowledged your product exists yet.

This is assuming that the claims are false, no? I think Nintendo's and Sony's silence on the leaks of their machines with developers hinting at the smoke made it clear that the fires were real. Maybe Microsoft has feared all along how bad this response would have been and was planning to maybe to soften the blow after showing off the system and games, but now it's like no matter what they show, if they're going through with this, there will be an audience that will simply avoid the product altogether.

Yep, they'll only respond if the claims are false but significant damage will already have been done even if this is false.

These headlines will still be out there, the update will be in the body of the story, so any damage done from this will remain for some time as people will continue to wrongly assume that it's always online.

Honestly, I don't believe anything could soften the blow for an always online console. There's simply too many external variables at play to make it work, this is why it should have remained optional as it was on the 360 (if this story is true of course), they mentioned always online, always connected during the lead up tot he 360 launch, but it was a reference to their plans for the console with regards to digital distribution, patches, online gaming, etc.

Majanew

Banned
Yeah, the guy comes across as an elitist out-of-touch snob.

Who the hell does he think he is?

An elitist out-of-touch snob? Fits right in to MS, too. That's how they all have been acting the last few years.

"Kinect!"

Sigh.

"You want more Kinect!?"

No.

"Alright! More Kinect!"

No godammit!

-----------------------

Rumors for Durango (MS is clearly out of touch):
Weaker than PS4. Kinect 2.0 is mandatory. Internet connection is mandatory. No used games.

It will be rather interesting if MS is forced to comment on a product they haven't even announced yet.

How can they comment on something they haven't admitted exists yet? Would need some help to pull that one off.

microsoft_responds0ekny.gif

rdrr gnr

In an ideal world for Microsoft, though... they would have probably liked the truth to have not come out from a guy who calls himself Sweet Billy who went on record saying "FUCK HALO" and made a big deal about the Halo 3 campaign disrespecting America's armed forces.
Sure. This is by no means not a big deal. But, again, he should not lose his job. Nor will he.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Polygon sure taking their sweet sweet time to fact check and cross reference no doubt because they're professional video game journalists unlike all these other hacks.

Hana-Bi

Well, even if they counter this now and say this is not true, those statements wouldn't be headliners for the daily press like it is now.

Shit just got real for MS. I think they took a really risky approach for next gen with not telling anything up till now, but they could have gotten away with it. But with this they lost the gamble...

Coolwhip

Banned
From IGN

"Orth has been with Microsoft for just over a year, working on an unannounced project (which can be safely assumed to be a Nextbox title). Previously he has been Creative Lead/Creative Director at LucasArts and a Senior Designer at PopCap."

Did he work on Kinect Star Wars?

Between always-online, weakened first-party, the intense focus on Kinect and other experiences I don't care about, and taking Halo further and further away from what I wanted to play, Microsoft have done a pretty bang-up job of losing the business of a customer who had a lifetime value in the thousands of dollars.

Good job, guys.

Pennywise

From IGN

"Orth has been with Microsoft for just over a year, working on an unannounced project (which can be safely assumed to be a Nextbox title). Previously he has been Creative Lead/Creative Director at LucasArts and a Senior Designer at PopCap."

Yes.
D:

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Personally I don't care about the always on aspect of the console.

I've had broadband for well over a decade and I can count the number of times I have experienced downtime on one hand. It is fairly simple to shop around and get a good fast internet (24m+) deal with no throttling or bandwidth caps.

Now I do appreciate that some areas are less fortunate, but overall progression shouldn't be held back due to the minority. Perhaps this is slightly selfish.

I'm fine with you being selfish. I'm just curious if you expect this to lead to progression or just the ability of publishers to micromilk you constantly?

From IGN

LucasArts
October 2009 – March 2011 (1 year 6 months)San Francisco

Creative Director on unannounced internal AAA multi-platform Star Wars title. Direct experience creating for and collaborating with George Lucas.

Creative Lead on all externally developed Lucasarts titles:

Star Wars: The Force Unleashed 2 [All platforms]
Star Wars: The Clone Wars Online PC
Lego Star Wars III: The Clone Wars [All platforms]
Monkey Island 2 Special Edition: LeChuck’s Revenge [all platforms]
Kinect Star Wars Xbox 360

Liberty4all

Banned
This circus of a thread has kept me up all night ... 5:20 am now. North America-GAF should be waking up soon to add to the fun.

slider

I dont think MS will respond ..

I can see why they wouldn't.

But at the eventual unveiling, if the rumours are true, it's gonna be hanging over them like a cloud. The genie is out of the bottle. I mean it'll be there in a much bigger way than the issue actually is. Things take on their own momentum and killing the furore is nigh on impossible (until there's a new thing for people to get animated about).

They can't, the console doesn't exist as far as they are concerned.
All they can give us is a generic "we don't comment on rumours or speculation"

There's room for them to dismiss the claims without revealing the console.

State that such a requirement wouldn't be mandatory, etc. The damage has been done however, it's far beyond the point of manageable damage control.

Dear god, Detective GAF is both terrifying and amazing. Terrimazing, even.

I really don't understand why so many people in this business have such a hard time using Twitter properly. I swear to god, it really isn't that difficult.

Seriously.

Top Bottom