• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft's AI will be inside Minecraft, and other Xbox, PC games: new Copilot features will search your inventories, offer tips and guides

Topher

Gold Member
Minecraft was offered as a demonstration for how Microsoft Copilot will help gamers.

Today is Microsoft's big Surface and AI event, where the firm is detailing the future of Windows on Arm, Surface AI PCs, and new Microsoft Copilot AI features.

We have a full Microsoft AI and Surface Live Blog here, since it's not being streamed online. However, a recap video should be available after the fact a little later. Microsoft will debut new Arm PCs and Surfaces that should beat Intel-based Ultrabooks on both power and battery life, albeit at the cost of some app compatibility in some cases (looking at you, Adobe). In addition, Microsoft has been demonstrating new AI features for Microsoft Copilot, which is the firm's answer to Google's Gemini AI search and ChatGPT's assistive apps. But who cares about all that, what about gaming? Well, there's an update on that front too.

During the event, Microsoft showcased one of these new integrations. Microsoft Copilot will be embedded directly in video games, starting with Minecraft. Players will be able to use natural language to ask questions like "How do I craft a sword?" and the Copilot will search your chests and inventories for the necessary materials, or guide you to them if you don't have them. It will also explain how to craft the item, and so on, eliminating the need to alt tab and read a website for Minecraft guides like ours (RIP Windows Central).

Microsoft has made a rather large emphasis on privacy at this event as well, claiming that data used via these new AI PCs will remain on-device, and won't be uploaded to the cloud or used to train language models without consent. We'll believe that one when we see it, but Microsoft has been criticized heavily across the board for its lackadaisical approach to privacy in Windows 10 and beyond, so it will be interesting to see how this news is received by gamers.

With Google and Microsoft both pushing hard on taking data from publishers and injecting it directly into experiences, a question mark has been growing over the future of the web in general. If it's no longer commercially viable to publish content, getting information into AI models will increasingly defer to social media platforms instead, making acquiring accurate information potentially increasingly difficult.

Either way, the convenience of simply being able to ask your video games how to kill a boss or how to find the secrets in a specific area and so on will fundamentally change how games are made, similarly to how internet discussions and websites have in the past. World of Warcraft's developer team have struggled to balance the game's addon APIs, since many of them allow players to create addons and mods that allow well-researched players to automate certain game mechanics, for example. Will we get to a point where we can ask AI to simply play parts of games you don't like for you?

Database websites and Wikis may find it increasingly difficult to fund their operations in this new world, which may conversely negatively impact the quality of information derived from these platforms in the first place, creating a downward spiral and perpetuating what some AI theorists have described as "model collapse," when AIs are no longer being fed accurate information.

Robochobo

If this ends the absolutely terrible practice of websites like IGN and crew making 20 million different "how to" articles and pages on various games to get clicks I'm all for it. I can't even Google a simple question anymore without the top results being some derivative of it.

Hollowpoint5557

A Fucking Idiot
I'm OK with this. In minecraft i can imagine saying "make me a maze in the shape of a dinosaur with a haunted house theme" and it generates one.
"Forza, create me a race track in the same layout as the Nordischilfe but add more elevation changes."
This is all so very exciting.

Red5

word everyone GIF

So basically Clippy tagging along inside your video games, as if he wasn't annoying enough in MS word.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Which website was it that just made the switch to mainly making game guides? Hope it was a bad one.

Mortisfacio

Banned
I'm currently in a meeting with Microsoft (and most this week) going over compliance and sensitivity with AI and how to utilize it to react and respond to user(s) using offensive or harmful language.

I, for one, am excited for the AI to cleanse the multiplayer lobbies of harmful language.

StereoVsn

I'm currently in a meeting with Microsoft (and most this week) going over compliance and sensitivity with AI and how to utilize it to react and respond to user(s) using offensive or harmful language.

I, for one, am excited for the AI to cleanse the multiplayer lobbies of harmful language.
I am doing this next week at their MTC, lol. This is like take 3 or 4 now.

Co-Pilot (the free version) is still not amazing. And it can still output all sorts of crap. Even the paid version has some issues.

Last edited:
Asking the game for assistance when stuck > Atreus telling you solutions 5 seconds after entering a puzzle room. :messenger_ok:
What if the next Halo will have an actual AI Cortana? Say you're getting pinned down in legendary mode; "Cortana, got any bright ideas? Gettin' my shit pushed in!" then it searches all guides online and tells you some dumb shit while you're playing in game and also reports you for cursing.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
What if the next Halo will have an actual AI Cortana? Say you're getting pinned down in legendary mode; "Cortana, got any bright ideas? Gettin' my shit pushed in!" then it searches all guides online and tells you some dumb shit while you're playing in game and also reports you for cursing.

If they can make a functional real-time AI even 20% similar to how Cortana is portrayed in the Halo games, that shit is gonna be wild.

This is on par with the Google CEO under the stadia reveal where he opens with "I dont know much about gaming" but let me tell you how gaming in the future is going to be vibes.

Bound to fail, what a bunch of moronic nonsense.

Ozriel

M$FT
Is this co-existing with the future of Windows and Recall?

Everyone, go ahead and gander at the future of a Windows-based gaming system.

Recall seems pretty impressive, tbh.
Shame I’m not getting hands on it with since I’m not buying a new PC for that.

I guess Strix point might be my point of entry if I see something worth upgrading my 7800x3d from.

Mortisfacio

Banned
I am doing this next week at their MTC, lol. This is like take 3 or 4 now.

Co-Pilot (the free version) is still not amazing. And it can still output all sorts of crap. Even the paid version has some issues.

Nice! Good luck. I wanted this week to be at their Irvine site, but our team opted for virtual so I'm stuck in a boring powerpoint presentation instead.

Shin-Ra

Handholding, mind-numbing retardation of the human mind in the guise of CONVENIENCE.

Aside from steering you towards Mtransactions, I wonder where the extra monetisation comes in. Subscribe to a better tier of AI assistance?

StereoVsn

Recall seems pretty impressive, tbh.
Shame I’m not getting hands on it with since I’m not buying a new PC for that.

I guess Strix point might be my point of entry if I see something worth upgrading my 7800x3d from.
I do not trust MS with all that info. Might be a bit tinfoil of me to be sure.

Quantum253

Co-Pilot is taking off. We just got a new round of Dell laptops and the right CTRL button was replaced with a dedicated Co-Pilot key. I can see this integrated in all Msoft's products

Ozriel

M$FT
Copilot is a retarded racist that gets triggered by literally everything.
Nadella is an idiot and he will destroy the company.

Seems to be doing a very poor job of destroying MS since he’s just making it more and more valuable.

I do not trust MS with all that info. Might be a bit tinfoil of me to be sure.

Recall is all on-device.
That said, it might be a security nightmare if your device gets stolen. Or if someone else has access to your PC

I can't wait until it can just create any game you want. I imagine it will be able to create 2d pixel art games first and then evolve from there.
It is already able to do that - I find the coolest feature is that it can draw a picture from the sketch. If you don't know how to draw and unable to write a proper prompt - imagine just drawing some basic outline and then get a picture.

Bry0

“Here’s where to find the “blind” skull! By the way, you can save this result by signing up for Microsoft OneDrive! Would you like to try a free 30 day trial?”

Last edited:
Top Bottom