• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mighty No. 9 |OT| The Blue Bomba

Trojan

I have to keep reminding myself that this game was massively delayed AND STILL released in a completely unacceptable state. Major performance issues across platforms, significant gameplay bugs, borked download codes, last minute port delays, awful review scores...this game was just left for dead. What did that $4M actually go to?

savage.png

I'll shit my pants if the next Sonic game is even as good as Mighty No. 9.

Ibuki

Banned
Can Humble Bundle or Comcept actually see if you've downloaded the client or revealed the Steam key? I'm tired of w8ing for my PSN key and it's getting really tempting to try out the PC version.

Humble will be able to tell if you redeem the code, they probably have a way to tell if you downloaded the client as well.

No. You're definitely the one who has Mega Man bosses wrong.

Here's a MN9 boss: https://youtu.be/w0NIaNYhWPw?t=97

Fight goes from 1:37 to 3:37 and there's a goddamn dialog break in the middle (because we want that mid boss fight, I guess?) Length: 2 minutes.

Here's every boss, BUSTER ONLY, from Mega Man 1-6:

https://youtu.be/NSYPZpltS8A?t=12

The first fight goes from 12 seconds to 53 seconds. Length: 41 seconds.

AND THAT'S ONE OF THE LONG ONES.

Damn you found the video I was about to post.

And as already stated, these bosses aren't even reactive in the first place. Nor are they all that hard to beat.

Hi GAF,

I don't know where else to ask, but were physical rewards ever sent out? I was supposed to receive the retro physical game box but don't recall an email about that. Any info would help, I got my digital codes last night. Looking forward to diving in after I beat Doom tonight.

vid

The problem with the way Mighty No. 9 handles it specifically is it doesn't have that knockback the Megaman bosses have after you hit them with the weapon they're weak to, or a few buster shots. In Mighty No. 9, you just repeatedly shoot at the boss until you need to dodge an attack, because there's no point where the boss becomes invulnerable. (except for when you need to dash at them) You then rinse and repeat until the boss is dead.

That's a very valid criticism. These fights would be much better if the enemies reacted in some way besides the "Change Phase" portion that happens halfway through each fight.

Hi GAF,

I don't know where else to ask, but were physical rewards ever sent out? I was supposed to receive the retro physical game box but don't recall an email about that. Any info would help, I got my digital codes last night. Looking forward to diving in after I beat Doom tonight.

T-shirts and posters were sent out, artbooks, boxes, and manuals will be shipping sometime after launch.

Who designed this trash countershade stage!! Boring back and forth backtracking with the most easiest boss fight I've ever seen. Megaman isn't like this right? Making wanna buy the megaman legacy collection to see the difference

Zomba13

Anyone know if you can copy over the save file from the DRM free version into the Steam version? Like if you just copy/paste the save file over? I want to actually play some more but I'd rather have progress and such in the Steam version (and the Steam version won't be out here until Friday evening...).

I'm convinced that half the people posting this have never actually fought a Mega Man boss. The Robot Masters were absolutely bullet sponges, unless you had their weakness. Try taking them down with just your buster and see how long that health bar feels.
Mega Man bosses are like Souls bosses. They have complex attacks and movement that go over your head the first time you fight them. There bullet sponges but half the fun is learning how to avoid their attacks and beating them. Finding out their weaknesses is the icing of the cake. MN9's bosses come nowhere close to that.
Who designed this trash countershade stage!! Boring back and forth backtracking with the most easiest boss fight I've ever seen. Megaman isn't like this right? Making wanna buy the megaman legacy collection to see the difference

I'm glad I'm not the only one. So bad.

SMG

Has anyone made a Mighty No. 56 gag yet?
If not, let me be the first. If they have apologies.

PS I pre-ordered this fucking mess two weeks ago.

RubyEclipse

Sega of America
I'll shit my pants if the next Sonic game is even as good as Mighty No. 9.

Remember this moment. ;)

Also, real talk, personal opinion: Regardless of fan reaction, totally respect that the guys behind MN9 probably put a ton of hard work into it. It's easy to poke fun at a game, but much harder to make a good one, and that's a distinction that's important to note. The glass room response cracked me up!

We post stuff to make people laugh, not to offend, so I hope the post didn't hit too hard there, as it's a line that one of their team members used.

If being at SEGA during both good and rough Sonic games has taught me anything, it's that somewhere behind the scenes, right now, there are good people trying to do their very best with what they've been handed surrounding this title.

I hope they can weather this storm, learn from the challenges, and put their very best foot forward afterward!

eso76

I hope someone makes a reshade/sweetfx profile for this game to alter the graphics for the better. I can't stand the way it looks.

Considering the mega man fanbase I wouldn't be surprised to know someone is already working on replacing those graphics with glorious pixel art.
And by glorious I mean 16-bit, not NES-like :p

Also I kind of feel bad for the devs.

Remember this moment. ;)

Also, real talk, personal opinion: Regardless of fan reaction, totally respect that the guys behind MN9 probably put a ton of hard work into it. It's easy to poke fun at a game, but much harder to make a good one, and that's a distinction that's important to note. The glass room response cracked me up!

We post stuff to make people laugh, not to offend, so I hope the post didn't hit too hard there, as it's a line that one of their team members used.

If being at SEGA during both good and rough Sonic games has taught me anything, it's that somewhere behind the scenes, right now, there are good people trying to do their very best with what they've been handed surrounding this title.

I hope they can weather this storm, learn from the challenges, and put their very best foot forward afterward!

You better be right! (About the next Sonic title, that is)

Remember this moment. ;)

Hm.

I don't disagree, really, but I find the "with what they've been handed" part...off, a bit.

They got handed four times their initial request and then a publishing deal. Now, that's not a lot for a game, and it doesn't guarantee smart game design decisions, but it does sort of change the narrative from "everyone tried with meager tools" to "Wait, what was the original plan, then?" They're not at fault, but I want to know how they ended up with such meager tools to begin with.

I don't think the people who made the game in the trenches should suffer any of the blame, but boy, someone should.

I have to keep reminding myself that this game was massively delayed AND STILL released in a completely unacceptable state. Major performance issues across platforms, significant gameplay bugs, borked download codes, last minute port delays, awful review scores...this game was just left for dead. What did that $4M actually go to?

That's what everyone's wondering at this point. Obviously, they couldn't have delayed this game again due to the already poor reception it was getting. However, ,if they released current state footage and sent out a survey asking if backers wanted them to delay, maybe that could of saved them.

Or.. maybe that's wishful thinking.

Cryo: "Ice to see you Beck." "You're on thin ice here, runt, so try not to get cold feet, ok?"

I see Inafune is a fan of Batman and Robin.

Edit: "Ok, let's try this again. After all, revenge is a dish best served cold!"

THIS WRITING.

Jobbs

Banned
I'd have been so much happier if everyone in the game just STFU

Huh? I can't imagine you actually thought about that before you said it.

I could write a fucking essay about how every sonic game is bad if you wanted. Even the Genesis ones 1 and 2. The theme and style of the game is at odds with the mechanics nad level design. It's just shitty. It's a marketing tactic masquerading as a game

Slime

Banned
I, uhh...
think it's pretty fun.

It's definitely not a pretty game. I think they were going for a retro-palette 2.5D Bionic Commando Rearmed look, but the final product lacks personality. Things just don't look or feel kinetic or alive.

It's not bad, though. Maybe lackluster enough that the doubters can feel justifiably vindicated, but not the all-out terrible piece of shit a lot are making it out to be.

Guess Who

Banned
I could write a fucking essay about how every sonic game is bad if you wanted. Even the Genesis ones 1 and 2. The theme and style of the game is at odds with the mechanics nad level design. It's just shitty. It's a marketing tactic masquerading as a game

it'd be fucking wrong tho

I, uhh...
think it's pretty fun.

It's definitely not a pretty game. I think they were going for a retro-palette 2.5D Bionic Commando Rearmed look, but the final product lacks personality. Things just don't look or feel kinetic or alive.

It's not bad, though. Maybe lackluster enough that the doubters can feel justifiably vindicated, but not the all-out terrible piece of shit a lot are making it out to be.

Has anyone said the game is straight up shit though? Most people are calling it average in the gameplay department with a lot of other technical problems.

I, uhh...
think it's pretty fun.

I agree. I only played it for about an hour and beat two bosses, but the game is really fun. It's a nice mix of Mega Man and Mega Man X. If they found a way to fix the stuttering and loading issues, I'd even give it a passing grade.

Berordn

Has anyone said the game is straight up shit though? Most people are calling it average in the gameplay department with a lot of other technical problems.

Yeah, there's moments where I can say this could've been a good game. But it's ugly, even on PC has glaring technical issues, and despite those brief moments where I'm having fun with it, it quickly falls back to mediocrity - flat levels with barely anything going on.

Sorry but this game fucking incredible. I'm having so much fun. Just fun and fast paced action shooter with fun Megaman style mechanics. I don't know what anyone else was expecting but this goes beyond what I initially backed. I'm happy that Keiji Inafune got to make the game he wanted and I'm happy with the end result. Only 3 stages in and I'm speedrunning the game.

Edit 1) No I'm not sorry actually
Edit 2) Found some infinite fly tech

it'd be fucking wrong tho

That's the truth.

Note that it's a completely different thing if you personally don't like Sonic or the games. But they work pretty well at what they're aiming for.

Crocodile

I think enough people are saying "con", "scam", "$4 MILLION" or selling/giving away codes they already paid for without giving the game a chance (though the last point is of course that person's prerogative) that the more nuanced critiques are at least partially being drowned out.

I mean I know the Sonic tweet is sort of a "glass houses" thing, but Sega at least funds their shitty Sonic games out of their own pocket. The only people who paid more than $60 or whatever for Sonic Boom were Sega, you didn't have fans putting in hundreds if not thousands of dollars to fund the game trusting that it would be good.

Mr-Joker

Banned
I mean I know the Sonic tweet is sort of a "glass houses" thing, but Sega at least funds their shitty Sonic games out of their own pocket. The only people who paid more than $60 or whatever for Sonic Boom were Sega, you didn't have fans putting in hundreds if not thousands of dollars to fund the game trusting that it would be good.

Nintendo paid for Sonic Boom so Sega doesn't get off lightly here.

Berordn

The Cryo level is bad but the boss actually requires pattern memorization and quick thinking to defeat it.

You know? Like a Mega Man boss.

I haven't tried that one yet but I'm really not a fan of how every boss so far seems to have invincibility frames.

Pyro in particular is annoying because of how his attacks all look the same but have no clear pattern, and you only get a second or two for clean shots.

I think enough people are saying "con", "scam", "$4 MILLION" or selling/giving away codes they already paid for without giving the game a chance (though the last point is of course that person's prerogative) that the more nuanced critiques are at least partially being drowned out.

It's definitely not helping when people aren't pulling in actual points into the discussion. Like I'm guilty of it too, but after awhile it's not like this game isn't a live thing.

I hope people find enjoyment in it all said and done, especially people who've backed it. I guess it's more damning than usual because people used their own money, and the backlash that followed this game all the way to release.

But after a few levels, I'm just feeling too bored to finish it. The gameplay design issues are too big and too glaring for me, and I feel like my time is better spent running through MM games.

I haven't tried that one yet but I'm really not a fan of how every boss so far seems to have invincibility frames.

Pyro in particular is annoying because of how his attacks all look the same but have no clear pattern, and you only get a second or two for clean shots.

Some of the frames on his flamestrails are wonky. And that is another issue I hold with this game - the hitboxes are absolutely awful. It's not a precise game by any means, but it's still annoying.

Jobbs

Banned
He's not a con man and it's not a scam. It's not a good game, but it's not a scam

They delivered a game that is, at least on paper, in line with what they pitched.

Top Bottom