• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mighty No. 9 |OT| The Blue Bomba

PR_rambo

Banned

tumblr_n329tpiF5i1s2791bo5_250_zps29b84b29.gif

Ecto311

H89INwbl.jpg

UK6V3JGl.jpg

Worth returning for $40 back or keep? Not a gigantic fan of any of this just got a good price on amazon like 2 years ago and forgot about it. Wonder if my 6yr old gamer kid would like it. She can play games just fine but don't wanna open this turd if it sucks and we could get something else. I feel like the signature numbered figure might be worth something in the future but not sure how many numbered ones are out there.

Also kickstarter folk haven't got it yet? What the fuck is that about. Man I was going to back this but thought I would just buy it after the fact and it worked better than I thought considering the reviews are dogshit for it.

So the game is actually pretty fun. The visuals have been the biggest let down so far (those rocks that fall from the ceiling in the first battle... yikes). You can truly see that the 3DS/Vita held back a lot of the visual design choices. On top of that, the cutscenes interrupting the level flow get quite grating, especially on repeat runs. Is there a way to disable them?

That aside, from the two stages I've played so far the game has been fun, and is definitely scratching that 2D Megaman itch. The dash/combo mechanic is actually somewhat addicting as you attempt to improve your runs and chains through the stage.

As a stand alone title, it actually really isn't remarkable enough to warrant the devastating backlash it is getting. It seems like Inafune's legacy and the development history will hamper people from giving the game on it's own a fair shake. It's unfortunate, because with the gameplay mechanics, it would really benefit from a sequel with better planning.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
I redeemed my free copy from Kickstarter on PSN store. (I had only pledged $5 but still got a code).

It gave me the following:

PS4
-Main Game
--Add-On - Retro Hero
--Add-On - Vermillion Destroyer

PS3
-Main Game
--Add-On - Retro Hero
--Add-On - Ray Expansion

Is the Ray Expansion different from Vermillion Destroyer? Or is each platform missing one of the add ons?

EDIT: from reading the box description in the photos above, it does seem like "Vermillion Destroyer" is the Ray Expansion

SURGEdude

H89INwbl.jpg

UK6V3JGl.jpg

Worth returning for $40 back or keep? Not a gigantic fan of any of this just got a good price on amazon like 2 years ago and forgot about it. Wonder if my 6yr old gamer kid would like it. She can play games just fine but don't wanna open this turd if it sucks and we could get something else. I feel like the signature numbered figure might be worth something in the future but not sure how many numbered ones are out there.

Also kickstarter folk haven't got it yet? What the fuck is that about. Man I was going to back this but thought I would just buy it after the fact and it worked better than I thought considering the reviews are dogshit for it.

Isn't it supposed to be pretty difficult? Might be frustrating for a 6yr old.

Teknoman

Brandish stage is janky as fuck. The problem with having to beat enemies with the dash is that you will overshoot the cars and instadie on the street. Whoever thought putting those bomber robots just out reach needs to play in traffic. Not to mention the boss has an insanely strong attack that I have yet to figure out how to dodge.

This does not feel play tested for fun.

I haven't played full version yet, but what about that back jump dash move?

Brandish stage is janky as fuck. The problem with having to beat enemies with the dash is that you will overshoot the cars and instadie on the street. Whoever thought putting those bomber robots just out reach needs to play in traffic. Not to mention the boss has an insanely strong attack that I have yet to figure out how to dodge.

This does not feel play tested for fun.
The bomber robots take way to many hits just to weaken them. Some of the jump distances you have to make are almost ridiculous. Brand wasn't too bad. His ultimate attack where he slashes all over the screen is almost impossible to dodge but he only did it once and the rest of his attacks are easy to dodge like all the other bosses I've faced.
I haven't played full version yet, but what about that back jump dash move?

You can only dash in the direction you are moving. You can't back dash.

holy crap, these credits are slow.

And Im Mighty No. 52996'

And after like 5 minutes its not even past 3000 LOL

Thank You For Paying.

Did you get to the Rap theme after the main theme was over?

SO GOOD. LOL

That's actually Mega Ran. He's a video game rapper, but even calling him that does him no justice. He used to rap about MM, so when he got on this game he was so excited.

Too bad it's not nearly as good as the MM games, but maybe Capcom could pay him to do some tracks for SF or something.

PR_rambo

Banned
Yikes!
How do you know what number you are?

I registered for the forum on their website, I forgot my password and they sent me a reset password link in my email, and in the email it had my number.

And I just found you can skip ahead by pressing start/options.

So I wont be waiting all eternity after all lol.

Did you get to the Rap theme after the main theme was over?

SO GOOD. LOL

I quite liked it!

Z3M0G

How satisfying are the additional powers that you collect? Any hidden upgrades like in MMX?

Played the intro stage, had fun. :/

Helps that you can skip everything with the options button.

Does hitting Options pause with option to skip, or just skip?

I hate when it just skips over something... I want the ability to pause even in cutscene...

I registered for the forum on their website, I forgot my password and they sent me a reset password link in my email, and in the email it had my number.

And I just found you can skip ahead by pressing start/options.

So I wont be waiting all eternity after all lol.

I quite liked it!
You can search for your number on the upper left if you hit any of the face buttons.

petran79

Banned
I don't really see what all the hate for this game is about.. this game is megaman as hell. I just spent an hour with the steam version and I genuinely enjoyed myself. I think the art direction could have been allot better but that is my only complaint. The characters have style but the way they chose to render them is.. not great. Everything in the game has this shiny plastic look but the art/concept drawings look well done. The game would have worked better with a 2d hand drawn or sprite style instead of what we got. The soundtrack so far is pretty rad as well I have been playing with 8 bit tunes but will do another play with the regular to compare.

I agree, game is fine. While not reaching the quality level of the initial MMX games, I enjoy it much more than Mega Man X8. If IGN rated MMX8 with 7.1 and MMX7 with 6.7, this game should be around that score.

Also, just like MMX8, I prefer the Japanese voiceovers

Yeah, it's... fine. I'm having a lot of fun, though I want to reserve judgement in case level design or bosses get awful halfway through. Either way, it feels like Megaman to me! My favorite part so far is actually the dash; it kind of reminds me of DOOM 4 where you don't have to use it, but it really helps out in certain situations. Weakening a group and finishing them off with a dash is pretty fun, while also adding momentum.

Riddler

Just finished Pyro & Cryo. Maybe it was lowered expectations, but the game isn't bad. I like learning the level layouts and enemy patterns. I think there is potential here but with such negative views we might not see a sequel sadly.

MicH

What's up with all the "A generous backer" listings in the credits? Did all those people request not to have their name in the credits? :lol

NoTacos

I redeemed my free copy from Kickstarter on PSN store. (I had only pledged $5 but still got a code).

It gave me the following:

PS4
-Main Game
--Add-On - Retro Hero
--Add-On - Vermillion Destroyer

PS3
-Main Game
--Add-On - Retro Hero
--Add-On - Ray Expansion

Is the Ray Expansion different from Vermillion Destroyer? Or is each platform missing one of the add ons?

EDIT: from reading the box description in the photos above, it does seem like "Vermillion Destroyer" is the Ray Expansion
I backed like $250 and my code is essentially worthless on the psn store.

At this point, thinking of it as a sunk cost is the only way I can keep myself from using seismic toss on the laptop I pledged that money on.

That's actually Mega Ran. He's a video game rapper, but even calling him that does him no justice. He used to rap about MM, so when he got on this game he was so excited.

Too bad it's not nearly as good as the MM games, but maybe Capcom could pay him to do some tracks for SF or something.
It's just funny to me how he's putting so much work and passion into the song for a lukewarm game.
That credit roll jam, tho.

Mega Ran & Danimal Cannon

The song is 7 minutes long?! Dam.

fernoca

So been playing on Wii U, overall it reminds me on Maverick Hunter on PSP.

Outside the already mentioned nearly 30 seconds loading times, the rest seems fine. There was a patch along the game, so not sure if without it, it runs worse.

Did put the retro soundtrack from the beginning, muted voices and usually skip the story; mostly because I have the PS4 version coming next week or so and I'll be playing again.

But as a game it's good. No backer, and no huge expectations and while I've played Mega Man since the NES I'm not a big fan of the series and don't know the ins and outs. Heck, the stutter here and there even reminds me of classic MM... XD

Blam

Why was the WiiU bricking confirmed when it was one person. I'd assume that this would have been multiple people saying it was bricking, but one person said it and we automatically assumed it was a thing for everyone.

What's up with all the "A generous backer" listings in the credits? Did all those people request not to have their name in the credits? :lol

There's a chance they wanted to be anonymous, but they also could have missed or not responded to the "Name you want in the credits" email that was sent to backers in...2014 or something. If you didn't respond to that then I don't think there was any default for them to use, and because they never responded to e-mails then you were essentially out of luck(?).

I can confirm if this is the case whenever I see the backer credits since I'm one of those people :/

B_Bech

Countershade's level... What on Earth? Apparently if you die at any point you need to start the hunt all over from the beginning. That's ridiculous, especially when you consider the purple wires one-shot you. One trick I found is that slashing with Brandish form deflects the sniper bullets.

MicH

There's a chance they wanted to be anonymous, but they also could have missed or not responded to the "Name you want in the credits" email that was sent to backers in...2014 or something. If you didn't respond to that then I don't think there was any default for them to use, and because they never responded to e-mails then you were essentially out of luck(?).

I can confirm if this is the case whenever I see the backer credits since I'm one of those people :/
Oh. I guess I'm just another generous backer since I don't recall getting such an email

Ravek

Banned
Downloaded and played intro and Pyros stage. I'm enjoying it. Jumping doesn't feel quite right but that may just an initial reaction thing.

On PS4, for the credits, you can skip a large range of numbers by hitting the Options button.

Cmagus

Played it for awhile it's really not that bad of a game it's just pretty basic.I like the dash mechanic and there is a good potential for speed running there but I will say I don't like having to use it on the bosses instead of just being able to shoot them down.

The game looks alright but it does need work it just feels like this game could have been much more if there was another level of polish to it. I'm glad it's done and out and if he makes another I'd play it if they can improve the obvious issues. I certainly would not crowdfund anymore projects like this though.

Top Bottom