• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mighty No. 9 |OT| The Blue Bomba

You know what? I'll go out and say it.

The gameplay itself is actually pretty solid.

All they have to do is fix that Godawful framerate and the main gameplay would be pretty good.

Everything else is up in the air though
I think I agree. Level design really does not compliment the mechanics. Dashing to defeat normal enemies is a dumb design IMO. However, the base of it is not that bad if you disregard that. I think it is like a worse version of MMX6.

Nose Master

Trinity is such a tedious, shitty fight. The first phase is baby's first
yellow devil
but the invul frames for 90% of it make it take you a good 3 minutes to get to the actual fight every time. Every single boss having only certain tiny windows when you can deal damage is very poor design.

I think I'm playing a different game than everyone else, because this game has been pretty fun so far. Beck controls just fine, and the absorb dash allows for a fluid, quick pace that feels incredibly rewarding if you can get in the rhythm. Level design feels well thought out for the most part, and the bosses are a lot of fun. Not Megaman hard, but still a challenge.

Stuck at the Robot Factory atm. Anyone know what to do after the the door with the timed lock? Dr. White is there, and once you get past that area, there's a crate spawner and a spiny gate that instant kills. Not sure what to do.

EDIT:
Figured it out, Aviator's blade makes your jump higher if you charge it before jumping.

mrmickfran

I think I agree. Level design really does not compliment the mechanics. Dashing to defeat normal enemies is a dumb design IMO. However, the base of it is not that bad if you disregard that. I think it is like a worse version of MMX6.

Yeah, I think the dash was added in last minute. None of the levels that I've played so far seems to actually be manageable with the dash.

Also, WHY IS THERE SO MUCH GODDAMN KNOCKBACK?

FUCK CYROSPHERE'S LEVEL

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
It's the one version without big performance issues, it seems.

Looks like I made a similar correct choice. No performance issues so far on Steam.

I like the dash mechanic on regular enemies, but I dislike it on mid-boss/boss enemies. It's just an annoying extra step to do actual damage. orz

just beat it earlier today. Yea I agree gameplay is solid. I liked the dash mechanic. What I hated was how it was integrated into the boss design. What a terrible way to damage bosses imo. Level designs at some points were crap. I'd die to the same thing like 5 times (The capital building stage was just terrible w/ it's me b/c of just nonsense or them just bsing me. I only ever used two robot master weapons, the rocket and the sword dude. Everything else was just not worth it even when fighting the robot master weakness. Just was easier using the regular buster. Thankfully I figured out how to get 9 lives in the options so it made the game a bit easier. Oh yea forgot, that short amount of invincibility after a hit also made levels terrible

Playing this on PC and this doesn't work well with my controller. The default button inputs are broken and calibration has to be redone every time I launch.

And I can't get the dpad to work at all.

Finished the regular stages, and starting the "Wily" ones. At this point (after unlocking different power-ups and playing around with the controls more and more) I honestly started to like the gameplay more than I did at the beginning. Dashing through levels and ranking up combos ended up being a lot of fun.

Although the game is still butt ugly, the level design feels unpolished at times, and most of the boss fights were pretty underwhelming. The only bosses that I ended up liking were Cryo, Shade, and Ray.

Serge85

The wii u version sucks...but the steam one is awesome ( solid 60 fps, insta loading times, better looking)

I've beaten 4 levels and...guys, I'm having FUN!, the gameplay is pretty solid.

Berordn

While we're on the subject of Con Artistry, how many of the stretch goals actually made it it?

I know we've got all the platforms, but did we get the New Game Plus, Chiptune Soundtrack, Call single player stage and online co-op we supposedly funded? Some of these thing seem to be MIA.

edit: Okay I wasn't looking very closely and missed the retro music in settings.

Autosaver

Neo Member
Did anyone ask video game lawyer if it's possible to crowdfund an investigation on how the money was spent?

A lot of people have been speculating that Infaune pulled a Borderlands with the game. They took money raised for Mighty No.9 and diverted it into bigger and more expensive projects.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone receive the digital artbook yet? It says on the page where my game keys were that I should check the original backer page which I assume is the one where we got the demo unlocked?

Gameplay is okay (shoot shoot shoot and dash) but the level design and graphics are meh to me.

Only completed the first level but I'll probably end up beating the game at least.

I don't think I get chaining in this game. What's the point? Just to increase score? Also is there any way to charge a shot or pierce multiple enemies?

A lot of people have been speculating that Infaune pulled a Borderlands with the game. They took money raised for Mighty No.9 and diverted it into bigger and more expensive projects.

Is there any basis to these accusations or is just wild speculation? Unless there is some evidence that this is the case, I would really hold back on making baseless accusationa.

Atrarock

Anyone receive the digital artbook yet? It says on the page where my game keys were that I should check the original backer page which I assume is the one where we got the demo unlocked?
Going by the kick starter page...I'm currently missing the digital retro manual, digital art book/strategy guide, and the digital ost.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Going by the kick starter page...I'm currently missing the digital retro manual, digital art book/strategy guide, and the digital ost.

kk thanks, yeah the digital ost is at least pointed out to be delivered later.
The other 2 not :/ going to wait for a few days in hope that it will sort itself out.

MilkBeard

Might wait for the bargain bin to try.

Actually...is this game available at redbox? (probably not) might give it a rent if so and beat it that way.

Rokal

As much as I also feel let down by this campaign and all the delays/nonsense, the game itself is better than I expected given impressions here & reviews.

If they had focused on a much smaller number of platforms, and hadn't pledged to include the awful delay-causing multiplayer mode, this may have actually turned out on time and fairly polished.

Eusis

One of the relatively minor things that's bugging me is how hits seem to have no impact at all. Especially on bosses. In the grand scheme of things it isn't a big deal but I also think it would go a long way toward helping the feel of the game if it were changed.
I feel like that's kind of the story of the game really, how it's a bunch of little failings holding it back from being REALLY great (this probably even includes the PR!), but it's growing on me and I'm enjoying it more as I gain more abilities.

Uhhh so I actually like the game.

Yeah graphics are definitely crappy and the level design isn't the most inspired. But e jumpin-n-shootin is pretty fun and zippy. I already beat two levels and I want to keep playing

B_Bech

Mighty no. 1 pyro is a giant asshole! One hit kill moves... are you serious? I have Avi's weapon and I feel like you have to be close range to use it, allowing him to one shot you. Any strategies to beat him?

I like the feeling of learning the stage's mechanics and enemy layout, and immediately wanting to retry for better chains + xel absorption rates to improve your ranking. There are some weird moments in level design that feel cheap though. And I really wish that your shots phasing through xel-shocked enemies was the default.

Eusis

i literally just turned the game off because it starts the entire level over if u fail
Yeah, that's looking to be one of those that can be actively game ruining. Wonder if they'll patch in anything to make up for some of the more frustrating bits? They did nothing about that stupid thing you have to double dash under though.

KevinCow

Banned
I was playing the fire dude's stage.

Down to my last life.

Get to a part where there's nothing but an empty stretch, so I just hold right and run along.

Suddenly, without warning, a giant pillar falls from the background and kills me instantly.

Turned that motherfucker off right that instant.

Well, I say, "Without warning," but I guess somebody did say, "Beck, look out!" as it was crushing me. But they didn't even get to finish their line before I was dead. Maybe if the text box hadn't popped up and distracted me, I would've noticed the pillar in the background falling in time to dodge it.

Get to a part where there's nothing but an empty stretch, so I just hold right and run along.

Suddenly, without warning, a giant pillar falls from the background and kills me instantly.

Turned that motherfucker off right that instant.
Oh Battalion's stage is even more cheap with putting instant KO lasers where enemies would knock you back. It is like Inafune thought "Ghosts n Goblins was too fair!"

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
I posted this in the Mighty No. 9 review thread, but I figured I'd post it again here.

The Kickstarter update where they announced the Unreal demonstration (seven days work), shown in the below .gif/video below:

D48ZJXE.gif

Unreal Demonstration Video

they said this:

Kickstarter Update (Scroll down a bit until you reach the "Graphics Engine!" section)

"Whattaya think? Someday we will look back on this and laugh at how primitive it looks, but for now, for only one week of test work, it's pretty darn cool, don't ya think? :D"

I'm looking back on this, but I'm definitely not laughing. Well, I am, but not for the reason they intended. :/
When this was released people were complaining that it looked ugly and unlike the concept art.

Nose Master

Mighty no. 1 pyro is a giant asshole! One hit kill moves... are you serious? I have Avi's weapon and I feel like you have to be close range to use it, allowing him to one shot you. Any strategies to beat him?

Just listen to what he says before charging.

1. Nothing and football stance = he charges you and you can just jump dash over.
2. Here it comes(?) = he runs towards you and explodes when close. Just tease him with a dash in and dash out.
3. ???? = He runs until close and then jump and dives, just dash under him.

That's all he does. I think on the second one during his second phase he can grab and one shot you.

Aeana

The "wily stage" type level I'm on is not bad, but what I think sucks is that it absolutely requires you to use your mighty powers to even progress past rooms, and the game never brings that up beforehand at all. I guess it kind of reminds me of MM2 in that way.

The gameplay is fine...but I'm underwhelmed. The level design isn't great, the music is very forgettable, and the voice acting suuuuucks.

But, I don't hate it. I'm just kinda bummed out. :(

The gameplay is fine...but I'm underwhelmed. The level design isn't great, the music is very forgettable, and the voice acting suuuuucks.

But, I don't hate it. I'm just kinda bummed out. :(

The retro soundtrack is much better, IMO. You can actually hear the melody instead of overproduced synths.

Top Bottom