• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mighty No. 9 |OT| The Blue Bomba

thefro

Early Wii U version thoughts after playing through the intro level and some of each level:

- Probably takes 15-20 seconds to load each level, a little less than that when you die. Worst part is one of the option menus takes that long to load from the main menu, which is just bad programming.
- I'd take a wild guess and say the main game probably runs at 25-30 FPS with some dips, below that when the camera zooms out. It's playable.
- Core gameplay is decent fun, but I don't think it reaches its potential.
- Challenge mode seems to be running at 60 FPS and is smoother. Beck's regular running doesn't feel good unless you get the upgrade from dashing into enemies.
- Zero game crashes, so that's good.
- I think Levels 5 and 6 are my favorites early on since those actually have some platforming and I was able to get some flow going..
- Only made it to the boss on Level 6. Got owned.
- I feel like a lot of the level design just kind of throws stuff at you instead of building things up and introducing new things/mechanics to you in a safe environment before making it more complex later in the level.
- Feels like there's a lot of cheap deaths and you have to assume anything off the edge of the screen is an electric spike trap. Not that Mega Man didn't have some of these, but the percentage that seem cheap is higher.
- Probably the worst is level 3 where the game prompts you to "hint: crouch-dash" to get under a fan. It's an insta-death and a mechanic the game doesn't force you to use before that point
- Music isn't great but there's some good tracks and some other more middling stuff.
- I probably need to shut off the voices since they've added nothing thus far. Some decent voice acting mixed with some bad voices. Story's pointless.
- A lot of people will find it difficult, although it reminds me of playing a new Mega Man game blind and not knowing the order of things to do or the layout of any level. My early impressions is that it's a little harder than those games.

So yeah, pretty mediocre. Level designers and programmers really dropped the ball.

I'm 5 levels in and I'm struggling to motivate myself to keep going. The game is painfully mediocre and dull, I think I may have had my fill of it already. I feel like my time would be better spent just replaying old Megaman games.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
So I see a Humble Bundle page to download the game and DLC, and that page mentions I can download the art book, manual, and music from my original backer page.

I pulled up my original backer page and all I see is the demo...am I missing something or have none of these things been released yet?

So some quick impressions

-game is basically what I expected from what I expected and it's a solid framework for a more fun sequel that really refines it ala mega man 1 -> mega man 2

-I like the story stuff during the stages though the cut scene ones need to go a tad faster

- the game looks cheap but its a lot of fun to play

- game is a technical mess, frame drops and had a crash during mighty no 2 boss on ps4

I don't regret backing the game, I hope we get a mighty no 9 II thats ps4/xb1/nx/pc since I feel with some refinement mn9 could truly be special. Clearly mn9 should be the poster child for why you don't over promise on a kickstarter.

B_Bech

Just listen to what he says before charging.

1. Nothing and football stance = he charges you and you can just jump dash over.
2. Here it comes(?) = he runs towards you and explodes when close. Just tease him with a dash in and dash out.
3. ???? = He runs until close and then jump and dives, just dash under him.

That's all he does. I think on the second one during his second phase he can grab and one shot you.

Thanks for the information, but what exactly do you mean by "????"?

Thanks for the information, but what exactly do you mean by "????"?

Not 100% sure but I think he says crush or crash.

EDIT: Also, when he does his super move it's better to jump over him and into the wall before he starts running. It better to take small damage instead of a one hit kill.

blamite

Well I guess my name didn't make it into the credits for whatever reason... :/ I was supposed to be No. 4847 but it just says "A Generous Backer"... I'm like 93% sure I filled out the survey, too. Bleh, at least I'm not as annoyed as I would be if this was a game I actually cared about.

UraMallas

Well I guess my name didn't make it into the credits for whatever reason... :/ I was supposed to be No. 4847 but it just says "A Generous Backer"... I'm like 93% sure I filled out the survey, too. Bleh, at least I'm not as annoyed as I would be if this was a game I actually cared about.

How do you know what number you will be in the credits?

Just beat it. It wasn't perfect, but I really enjoyed my time with it! The final boss was a headache, but it felt so good to finally defeat them. Overall, it felt pretty rewarding the whole way through, which is what I love so much about classic Megaman. I'm also not sure what exactly I was doing, but I actually felt the flow of shooting and dashing enemies was well-paced, which I see most others disagree with. Still, I think that's what really sets this game apart and makes it worthwhile.

Ending was OK. I feel like they could've put more time into it, but at least it delivers some closure. Either way, it's a bit sad that a sequel is unlikely? I get that Inafune messed up in many ways, but it feels like the developers poured their hearts out into it. Like I said, it wasn't perfect, but it had some good ideas that'd do great with some polish. Still, based on the wave of negativity it's received, I can't see it picking up steam. Though I'd love to be surprised one day.

I'm on the last stage now. Total playtime just under 4 hours. My opinion of the game hasn't changed, it's an ok game. 6/10 is a fair score, though I might give it a 7. I still think it's lower tier megaman, but better than x6 and x7. Main problems are cheap deaths (like the stupid crouching slide part), some uninspired level design, and some sloppy controls (sometimes Beck slides forward instead of stopping). I also wish the bosses were more creative than fire, water, ground, spark etc.

Crocodile

Ok so I see keys for

Retro and Ray DLC
Golden Hero DLC
MegaXel Transformation DLC

in my Humble Bundle. Is there supposed to be a 4th key for the actual game?

UraMallas

Ok so I see keys for

Retro and Ray DLC
Golden Hero DLC

Hmm. I got the game in place of that last MegaXel DLC. Unless you backed at a higher amount than me. I backed at $20.

Just listen to what he says before charging.

1. Nothing and football stance = he charges you and you can just jump dash over.
2. Here it comes(?) = he runs towards you and explodes when close. Just tease him with a dash in and dash out.
3. ???? = He runs until close and then jump and dives, just dash under him.

That's all he does. I think on the second one during his second phase he can grab and one shot you.

I'm using Japanese voice so I just pay attention to what he does before charging. If he:
1. puts one hand down = simple charge
2. raises both hands = run and dive
3. claps hands (?) = run and explode

Ok so I see keys for

Retro and Ray DLC
Golden Hero DLC

There should be a key for the actual game. I had three keys: the game, the retro hero, and the ray expansion. But maybe things are different for higher tiers?

mrmickfran

Right!?! It's not hard it's just massively annoying

Haven't played the level yet, but I was watching Dashie's gameplay video and when I saw clips of that stage I turned off the video.

It looks incredibly annoying and I'm already dreading it.

i literally just turned the game off because it starts the entire level over if u fail

I was down to my last life with one hit point.

I finally got to him.

I refused to give up, using that shitty stage as motivation to not fail.

I actually fucking did it.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
I'm not terribly far in this game, and I'm not terribly far in the below comparison game either but I feel like Mighty No. 9 is trying to be a more Megaman-y version of Azure Striker Gunvolt than, well, just straight up Megaman. The emphasis on combos and ranks, plus the way they both have a kind of two-step attack (attack + absorb vs. tags + volt) feels more in line with ASG than MM, though I admit I'm more familiar with the older Megamans than the later ones. orz

Stuck on the final boss (or at least I think it's the final boss), and it's downright annoying. Phase one is simple enough, but once I get to the halfway point of phase two I get killed.

Edit: Well, I did it. Since the game is short, maybe I'll do another run on a harder difficulty.

bumpkin

Mighty No. 8's stage is bullshit. I tried it half a dozen times and could not get through it. Could they have devised a more irritating level progression?

mreddie

Went to the Capitol, after fucking up, they restart me to the beginning.

Then did the Tower, man that fight is bullshit.

At that point, I turned it off. 2016 Me needs to warn 2013 Me.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
why do they make the bosses shout everything like idiots

Because they're suppose to be be rogue / insane before you stop them. It doesn't come across too well; they should have illustrated it a bit better.

The gameplay is fine...but I'm underwhelmed. The level design isn't great, the music is very forgettable, and the voice acting suuuuucks.

But, I don't hate it. I'm just kinda bummed out. :(

I don't think the music is forgettable at all, but it's very quiet at times.

The "wily stage" type level I'm on is not bad, but what I think sucks is that it absolutely requires you to use your mighty powers to even progress past rooms, and the game never brings that up beforehand at all. I guess it kind of reminds me of MM2 in that way.

It tells you about might powers for progress... on the tips screen. There's a lot of things the tip screen does that should be relayed as conversations in the voice-filled game. I wish they had set up mini-bosses and "arena" style fight rooms in order to teach the nuances of the game, because way too much of it (even the Action Style back-jump and retreating shot) are locked away in parts of the game you never are pushed to look up.

I don't regret backing the game, I hope we get a mighty no 9 II thats ps4/xb1/nx/pc since I feel with some refinement mn9 could truly be special. Clearly mn9 should be the poster child for why you don't over promise on a kickstarter.

For me, I feel it's more a note that even expert-level talent seems to have the potential to suck when making a passion project. I don't even care as much about how much money he had; I just find it really surprising that someone who's been in the business so long had such a dev-hell on a project that works out almost exactly the same as games he's been involved with making 10s of.

Wayforward's approach to how they handled Shovel Knight (getting the base game right and working, then adding things after release, which gives them a great opportunity to take feedback and apply it to future work, making that work even better with a large amount of playtest and impressions) is such a smarter way to manage a huge project that promises the world.

I'm totally up for a sequel already though, even if it's janky and I'm not totally done with it yet. Remembering days when games like this were 50+ dollar purchases, and the clear improvement from MM1 to MM2 onward, I'm pretty ok with this being a first go at a new franchise.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I got the backer code for US PSN but it's not working. Anyone having the same problem?

unrealist

I wonder beyond the West, how are the Japanese etc reacting to this game? I understand Asians and Westerners have slightly different tastes in gaming...

RedFox85

Just played 4 levels and 2 to completion. I think this might be the package of terrible design decisions of 90's games (cheap enemy placements, instant KO obstacles everywhere, and annoying VA). This is worse than Sonic 4 Episode 1!
Also I agree Ray is the best boss so far.

You take that back you crazy son of a bitch!

Crocodile

It's game retro and ray dlc all in one then golden Dlc and megaxel dlc

Ok that makes sense. I tried redeeming that first code and it said it was for the Backer Bundle which seems right. Then my PS3 proceeded to crash from what I can tell so I'm hoping I didn't just was my key :/

Eusis

Cyro's weapon is OP

pls nerf
You're the worst person in this thread.

They really need to pure more checkpoints or something in the Countershade level. Hell, I think there's some easy instant death areas and from there you'd have to redo the whole damn stage, that's where the game design just completely fucked itself.

I'm enjoying it a lot more than I thought I would. It's much faster than the trailers/ads showed. Even more so if you lean on the dash, X style.

It is more Mega Man Powered Up than anything and I don't dislike that. Pleasantly surprised after the poor campaign.

Beat the fire boss this morning saw some tips above it took me a few lives to figure out I could fake him out. So far both of the bosses I've beat (electricity and fire) have been about the same, think about their patterns and the solution becomes apparent. If you can't trick them then its instant death. So basically the game continues to do it's job glad I backed this although all those cheetos explosions in Fire guy's level make me hungry... mmmm cheetos. The negativity continues to overwhelm me I think for a new studio this is a nice first effort. Hopefully, if there is a sequel, it will be done through Fig so the publishers can get their cut from the start. The game requires some thinking and makes the whole thing accessible from the start. In other words it's a NES game in spirit. Maybe there are some amazing indie run and gun platformers I'm missing? The powers are underwhelming so far though.

LycanXIII

How do I know what number I am in the credits? I'm trying to find my name.

Check your emails from them, all their messages start with them listing your number.

Edit: You can also search for numbers during the credits, but nothing happens when I enter my number.

Am I to assume that Trinity is Mega Man Legends 3 and Graham is Capcom trying to bring it back to life and Dr. White who is Inafune makes Beck to pass on his legacy to a new creation and stop his old one?

I'm trying to entertain myself with this dumb story.

Caffeine

another broken? mechanic is u can change reXelection forms in game from the game options and get a full attack bar with the new selected form lol

ZeroX03

Banned
Okay my US code didn't work because they mistakenly gave me an EU code. Not down with that. Not losing out on my Vita copy.

Top Bottom