• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft for New Nintendo 2/3DS is OUT TODAY (in North America)

ShadowOwl

There appears to be no release in Europe today, the German Direct and Nintendo website have not announced any release date. Meanhwile several German websites report that it was released today. Ughhhhhh...

Can a mod edit the thread title to reflect this?
Get the Switch version if you can

I'm not saying this isn't cool, but if you have the option for the love of God get the Switch version.
Why?

There appears to be no release in Europe today, the German Direct and Nintendo website have not announced any release date. Meanhwile several German websites report that it was released today. Ughhhhhh...

Can a mod edit the thread title to reflect this?

Why?

I'm not really up on the specifics here. I'm editing the title to note that it's only out in North America?

Camjo-Z

Get the Switch version if you can

I'm not saying this isn't cool, but if you have the option for the love of God get the Switch version.

Yeah this seems irrelevant to anyone with a Switch, but I'm sure this is going to be a thrill for the hordes of little kids getting a New 2DS for Christmas. Heck, if my nephew was a little older I could easily see this being the perfect gift.

I think it's kind of obvious why the 240p 3DS version is inferior to the HD version you can play handheld or on the big screen with split-screen local and online multiplayer. Plus there's more content, larger worlds, and it will be part of the Better Together update and get the enhanced graphics pack. This is pretty much exclusively something for people who don't have a better way to play Minecraft.

ShadowOwl

I'm not really up on the specifics here. I'm editing the title to note that it's only out in North America?
Right.
I think it's kind of obvious why the 240p 3DS version is inferior to the HD version you can play handheld or on the big screen with split-screen local and online multiplayer. Plus there's more content, larger worlds, and it will be part of the Better Together update and get the enhanced graphics pack. This is pretty much exclusively something for people who don't have a better way to play Minecraft.
If the price will be the same as the Switch version in Europe I'd be pissed.

ShadowOwl

Is the title accurate now?
giphy.gif

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

Yeah this seems irrelevant to anyone with a Switch, but I'm sure this is going to be a thrill for the hordes of little kids getting a New 2DS for Christmas. Heck, if my nephew was a little older I could easily see this being the perfect gift.

This. The Switch version is essentially the main version of Minecraft now. Win 10, Xbox, Switch, and iOS/Android being rolled into the Better Together update so they are all the same cross play version.

There is zero reason to buy anything else now (Java players on PC get the Win 10 for free).

Possible reasons to get this version:

- You don't have a Switch yet
- You have kids with 3DSs who still use them a lot
- Phone-sized portable but actually has buttons
- 3D effect coming soon, I know a lot of people don't care but IMO could look really cool
- Map always on bottom screen is really convenient

Can you craft on the touchpad though

It doesn't have classic crafting, instead it shows you everything you can craft with what you currently have in inventory, and shows the classic recipe on the top screen.

GulAtiCa

Cool. If this came out last year, I'd totally have gotten it. Now I'm just waiting for the Switch Minecraft (the crossplatform version) to come out.

Will be supported via an upcoming update.

That's awesome since I am waiting for the physical anyway. It just dawned on me that the resistive touch screen on 3DS is perfect for this type of game. I wasn't even interested in Minecraft for the longest time, and I find myself really happy about this for some reason...

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
Possible reasons to get this version:

- You don't have a Switch yet
- You have kids with 3DSs who still use them a lot

fuck that, buy each of your kids a switch and get them on the port begging train god dammit!!!

Has anybody here ever caught any of the (digital) console release of Minecraft on sale? I was looking around for its price history, and couldn't find any evidence of it ever going on sale for any platform. I may be wrong, which is why I'm asking. Might as well throw down for it now if Mojang never puts a discount on their game.

EDIT: Ended up biting, and I don't regret it so far. Controls great (though rebindable controls would be nice), and the touchscreen features are pretty handy. Only real gripe is the framerate. It pretty much sits around 30, with the occasional jump to 45 when looking at a wall. They should cap it for consistency's sake, because the fluctuation is distracting. They also have some effects like fancy trees and heavy particles after mining that I feel they should disable. You can clearly feel the framerate drop the second they're on-screen, and I don't think the game would be missing much without them. Tree transparency especially, since the effect looks ugly when in a res this low. Also, this thing can burn in hell. Killed my first character only three days in.

Has anybody here ever caught any of the (digital) console release of Minecraft on sale? I was looking around for its price history, and couldn't find any evidence of it ever going on sale for any platform. I may be wrong, which is why I'm asking. Might as well throw down for it now if Mojang never puts a discount on their game.

EDIT: Ended up biting, and I don't regret it so far. Controls great (though rebindable controls would be nice), and the touchscreen features are pretty handy. Only real gripe is the framerate. It pretty much sits around 30, with the occasional jump to 45 when looking at a wall. They should cap it for consistency's sake, because the fluctuation is distracting. They also have some effects like fancy trees and heavy particles after mining that I feel they should disable. You can clearly feel the framerate drop the second they're on-screen, and I don't think the game would be missing much without them. Tree transparency especially, since the effect looks ugly when in a res this low. Also, this thing can burn in hell. Killed my first character only three days in.

Yeah, I've never ever seen Minecraft get a sale. I hope they add some video options in the future, as well as get it to run a little bit better. The main source of lag so far for me is due to 3D entities that fall on the ground from mining. They should just use 2D icons (like Dragon Quest Builders).
One neat trick in the 3DS version that should be added to the PC and Mobile versions is LoD fancy graphics. The trees in the 3DS version for instance are fancy up close, but ones that are farther away are rendered as "fast" trees.

But they should really add all the fast options (and an FoV slider!) to this version, it really could use it. It is always using smooth lighting and the aforementioned semi-fast trees, 'Short' render distance, and presumably also using maximum particles.
Overall, the performance is pretty decent, all things considered. I think they could better optimize it to get closer to a stable 30fps though.

One problem so far is that it absolutely murders the battery of your 3DS if you put it to sleep with Minecraft open, even if you press the home button first. It lasted only about 5 hours in sleep mode after closing the 3DS with Minecraft open and wireless turned off.

Top Bottom