• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft sales top 100 million

blakep267

How does this game still have so much momentum? I first played this five years ago and I remember it being pretty big back then as well.
Absolutely amazing.
Well for 1. Kids are still being born. Also it's not cross buy. If I bought it on the 360, and hen I decide to buy a ps4. I have to buy it again and then I buy my kid a wiiiu. Then I buy it again on there etc

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
can someone explain what the appeal is? i did buy it years ago while it was in alpha/beta (can't remember exactly) and i was hooked building random stuff but got boring after a while. i can understand kids enjoying it but i know it's not just kids buying it. every time i'm on youtube there are always minecraft videos. i'm not hating on it but just curious what other people get out of it.

gamz

can someone explain what the appeal is? i did buy it years ago while it was in alpha/beta (can't remember exactly) and i was hooked building random stuff but got boring after a while. i can understand kids enjoying it but i know it's not just kids buying it. every time i'm on youtube there are always minecraft videos. i'm not hating on it but just curious what other people get out of it.

People and kids love to create.

Seeing kids play Minecraft on tablets blows me away. They are so quick and then you see friends joining in and doing crazy stuff. I like how it's creative and community driven. Better than so many other games people play on tablets.

The tutorial on Xbox confused me!

Congratulations, you (and I) are officially old

Congrats to Mojang, and now MSFT is the beneficiary of the crazy sales momentum of this ongoing phenomenon.

As a quick reference, I think that the 106 million units in sales is 23 million more than Wii Sports. Both of which are iconic in pop culture around the world. Wild!

GodofWine

It really is amazing, there are a number of minecraft competitors being cooked up right now, Dragon Quest Builders, Boundless (looks legit like how I would envision Minecraft 2), Trove, Lego Worlds etc etc, but those will never do what MC did, they will compete and battle for share of the "Craft game market", but Mincraft was the entire market, it still is, and will always remain the big dog.

c0de

I wish my awful Java projects when I was studying made me billions.

I feel it, too.
It reminds me of YouTube. “Who the hell would make a video portal based on flash?! Idiots“... Well, we know how that wentwent.

Maybe I should check this out one day. I'm still on the stage where I'm not sure what the game is about or how it works outside of building blocks and surviving green creeps or something. Might tip toe to the ''genre'' with Dragon Quest Builders first.

It's games like this that ensure the survival of the industry in the long run.

Disxo

The freedom, the mods, the exploration, which can be shared with friends is a unique experience in gaming

Wow, huge milestone! I definitely didn't see it continuing to sell so well. I think MS has done a pretty good job supporting it so far.

And the game hasn't even launched in China yet!

jediyoshi

Oh weird, only just now noticed Minecraft updated their website to a modern layout. Interesting they keep Microsoft's name off it.

alexbull_uk

Love Minecraft, I've got copies on PC, X360, XOne, PS4 and iOS. Glad it's still enjoying success even though I don't play nearly as much as I used to.

Greatest game of all time. I know, technically Tetris has sold more copies, but we're still in the first decade of Minecraft. I'm still a bit surprised that Microsoft hasn't messed it up yet, but good on them for recognizing the timelessness of that beautiful game.

Anno

It's a game I'll never be able to get into but I'm glad so many others love it. I wonder how the endless hours of Minecraft will change game development a decade or
more from now when these kids start getting their hands on game design. I have to imagine it'll make an impact.

pdog128

I know I double-dipped on PC and the Gear VR version.

Speaking of which, the Gear VR version is legit. Sure, the draw distance could be better, but the immersion is fantastic. Whole new angle to the game.

Minecraft is awesome, dunno how many hours I sunk into it...days even.

Also, according to that infographic. Australia is home to creepers?

We're doomed.

It's like a digital version of LEGO with an infinite landscape and an infinite number of pieces. If it was around when I was a kid I would have gone nuts for it. Even as an adult I've probably put a few dozen hours into it.

gamz

I know I double-dipped on PC and the Gear VR version.

Speaking of which, the Gear VR version is legit. Sure, the draw distance could be better, but the immersion is fantastic. Whole new angle to the game.

I didn't even know there was a Gear VR version?

Kilau

Love this game still, have put hundreds of hours into it. I originally thought MS had paid too much for it, but it's going stronger than ever and I hope they can do something really great with it going forward.

JimiNutz

Banned
I love the idea of Minecraft but I tried it on Xbox One and was fucking terrible at it.
Quickly lost interest as it seemed very complex.

Like it or not, Minecraft is a seminal moment in video gaming history. There's a half a generation of kids now who've grown up with this game.

Elandyll

Banned
And people called MS' investment insane (I was one oops)

Minecraft. When will it end. Absolute beast)
They are still nowhere near getting their investment back ($2.5b), and likely never will in pure cash flow, but that's not how (probably) they look at it.

As an investment of cash flow that was stranded abroad to avoid taxes, all it had to do was bring more than a 10% roi per year to be worth it.
The game alone did $50m in 2 years, so barely made it into black territory (vs having the money just sitting somewhere and making dividends), but the franchise likely made them some extra pocket change with spin offs (Minecraft story mode) and merchandising (toys, books, etc.).

So, not really a rousing success compared to the level of investment, but again, better than having that money just laying there making a fixed%. (Plus the brand value might increase as well, but that will depend on MS's management of it).

Reminds me, I need to get a copy for my 7 yr old who has been dying to play after going through story mode.

Tablet or Console version?
Might have to get both... (the lack of x buy also probably being a big reason of constant sales)

Anth0ny

53,000 per day is madness.

It will become the greatest selling game of all time. Unbelievable.

and I still haven't played it. lol

Shauni

Why are so many people getting multiple copies across multiple platforms...? For other family members or something?

Top Bottom