• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft Wii U Edition rated by Pegi

Taker666

Actually, strange as it may seem, I have the feeling this is more Microsoft's doing than Nintendo's. Microsoft were quite clear when they bought Mojang that it's going to remain a separate company and not be integrated into the Xbox division, and in that position MS is going to want Mojang to be as profitable as possible, which basically means porting Minecraft to every platform going. The XBox360/PS3 editions were the result of the platform holders themselves pushing heavily for the ports (and likely paying for them too), and there's no indication Notch had any intention of bringing the game to anything other than PC and possibly mobile (hence why the ports are handled by a different studio). It seems that Nintendo never pushed for a Wii U port, but now that Mojang is owned by a company which is firmly focussed on profitability they don't have to push.

Unlikely.

Assuming this port is the game being handled by Tantalus/Straight Right (highly likely),then it was confirmed for production way back in January 2014...so it was signed and sealed months before Microsoft acquired Mojang.

It could be cool to have a whole game theme based in Zelda, Mario, Metroid serie, for example you tap your Samus amiibo and space-alien like texures are loaded, enemies, materials all changing acordling.

That sort of thing could work since the games on console currently support skin packs and other things, you can buy the halo skin pack which also comes with a special made halo world to run around and explore.

I doubt anything like that and amiibo support is in the Wii U version but maybe, just maybe.

jelly

Long term it's a good bet, they can follow up on the new Nintendo console easily enough with the experience.

Z3M0G

This could have been a system seller after launch... good lord. Showing off inventory management with the controller would have sold units alone.

Oersted

Unlikely.

Assuming this port is the game being handled by Tantalus/Straight Right (highly likely),then it was confirmed for production way back in January 2014...so it was signed and sealed months before Microsoft acquired Mojang.

What makes the assumption so highly likely again?

sörine

Banned
Microsoft are not going to put their big core games on competing consoles. At best there will be an Xbox One port
Well, NX is going to be a handheld as well at least. Although Microsoft's handheld licensing seemed to die off when the Windows Phone initiative started too.

Still, Blue Dragon is a retired IP for MS at this point and we're coming up on a decade since their last (and only) published entry in the franchise. I feel like if a 3rd party such as Marvelous or Bandai Namco came to Microsoft with a multiplat publishing offer that they'd probably go for it (provided Xbox One was still included yes). This isn't one of their active core IP anymore so I doubt they'd feel the need to guard it that way yet, and it's something that has almost zero appeal to the modern core Xbox audience anyway.

Ridley327

sörine;185161463 said:
ROM/ISO sizes:

Xenoblade JP: 4.30GB
Xenoblade EU/NA: 6.70GB
Xenoblade 3D: 3.60GB
Xenoblade X: 22.70GB

They still had to make room. And with the 3DS display being half the resolution of standard Wii output (480p) it made sense to compress textures anyway. Where XB3D really needed to make technical concessions (and the one area Wii legitimately outperforms n3DS) was for remodeling geometry.

I know they had to make room, but it wasn't because of stuff that made it a dual layer game in the first place. That's all I'm taking issue with here.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
An interesting tidbit by checking the listing for Minecraft on other consoles. There are double listings for PS3, PS4 and 360, one listing for Vita, One and Wii U. Well, aside from Microsoft listings that feature MS as publisher for obvious reasons, PlayStation listings feature Mojang AB or SCE as publisher (I suppose it's the difference between the digital version and the retail version). Now, the Wii U Edition is unique, because, while on a non-MS console, it's registered as published by Microsoft Studios. Not Mojang AB (assuming the game comes out on the eShop at first as it happened everywhere), not Nintendo (assuming the retail release is soon enough), but Microsoft Studios.

The last Blue Dragon was Blue Dragon: Awakened Shadow for Nintendo DS in 2009, and the last console game by Mistwalker, the primary Blue Dragon developer, was Last Story for Nintendo Wii. Mistwalker now develops for iOS/Android.

I do think Blue Dragon for WiiU/3DS is very unlikely, but well, mainly due to the reality I listed above.

Im aware of the Blue Dragon handheld games but Microsoft are not going to port their AAA title to competing console platforms, DS made sense as MS didn't (and still don't) have a handheld of their own but seeing as MS own it, thats where they will focus their efforts.

They also haven't made a Blue Dragon game on a Nintendo handheld since 2009 either so... I don't see anything to suggest they would decide to pull it out the back catalogue and stick it on WiiU, PS4 or NX (if NX is a home console)

sörine;185165030 said:
Well, NX is going to be a handheld as well at least. Although Microsoft's handheld licensing seemed to die off when the Windows Phone initiative started too.

Still, Blue Dragon is a retired IP for MS at this point and we're coming up on a decade since their last (and only) published entry in the franchise. I feel like if a 3rd party such as Marvelous or Bandai Namco came to Microsoft with a multiplat publishing offer that they'd probably go for it (provided Xbox One was still included yes). This isn't one of their active core IP anymore so I doubt they'd feel the need to guard it that way yet, and it's something that has almost zero appeal to the modern core Xbox audience anyway.

I can't see any reason why MS would do that, otherwise they should get Bamco or Capcom or something to partner up and port Scalebound to PS4 for extra sales, theres no indication at all that they would "probably go for it" for one of their AAA games.

Oersted

Im aware of the Blue Dragon handheld games but Microsoft are not going to port their AAA title to competing console platforms, DS made sense as MS didn't (and still don't) have a handheld of their own but seeing as MS own it, thats where they will focus their efforts.

They also haven't made a Blue Dragon game on a Nintendo handheld since 2009 either so... I don't see anything to suggest they would decide to pull it out the back catalogue and stick it on WiiU, PS4 or NX

To be clear, I don't see Blue Dragon happening for any plattforms period.

An interesting tidbit by checking the listing for Minecraft on other consoles. There are double listings for PS3, PS4 and 360, one listing for Vita, One and Wii U. Well, aside from Microsoft listings that feature MS as publisher for obvious reasons, PlayStation listings feature Mojang AB or SCE as publisher (I suppose it's the difference between the digital version and the retail version). Now, the Wii U Edition is unique, because, while on a non-MS console, it's registered as published by Microsoft Studios. Not Mojang AB (assuming the game comes out on the eShop at first as it happened everywhere), not Nintendo (assuming the retail release is soon enough), but Microsoft Studios.

Yep. Minecraft WiiU Edition is the very first Microsoft Studios published Minecraft for a non-Microsoft plattform.

KingBroly

Banned

This is the first time that Minecraft's been put on another console since Microsoft bought it.

Thraktor

Unlikely.

A 22 month development time is extraordinarily long for a port such as this, don't you think? And why should we assume Tantalus/Straight Right are developing? Surely 4J Studios is by far the most likely candidate.

It's also the first console version of Minecraft released since MS bought Mojang, which may explain the change in direction. Is the Windows 10 port is published by Microsoft Studios as well (or is that information given on the Windows store?)

Tri-Force-Heroes-Timeless-Tunic.png

Oh god please be in the game with Amiibo support for specific quests. Then I may consider even more to purchase this game.

Taker666

What makes the assumption so highly likely again?

Because Tantalus said the game they were working on is supposed to be released in 2015 but still hasn't been announced...

...they said their game wasn't hardcore, wasn't M rated and was "for a top notch publisher" (with Notch being the creator of Minecraft, that led to the early assumption that they were working on Minecraft Wii U).

Because Tantalus said the game they were working on is supposed to be released in 2015 but still hasn't been announced...

...they said their game wasn't hardcore, wasn't M rated and was "for a top notch publisher" (with Notch being the creator of Minecraft, that led to the early assumption that they were working on Minecraft Wii U).

Didn't they also say it was the biggest game they've ever worked on?

Taker666

A 22 month development time is extraordinarily long for a port such as this, don't you think? And why should we assume Tantalus/Straight Right are developing? Surely 4J Studios is by far the most likely candidate.

It's also the first console version of Minecraft released since MS bought Mojang, which may explain the change in direction. Is the Windows 10 port is published by Microsoft Studios as well (or is that information given on the Windows store?)

It does. ..but it could be that the Microsoft acquisition held things up ...or that they have really gone to town with exclusive Wii U content.

I believe they also said it was the biggest project they had ever worked on. Making me think that if it is Minecraft, then it will be more thank a simple port.

jariw

Yep. Minecraft WiiU Edition is the very first Microsoft Studios published Minecraft for a non-Microsoft plattform.

I think this happened:
* One reason why Minecraft didn't happen before was because Nintendo refuses to pay money for porting. One other possible reason could be Notch.
* Nintendo still refuses to pay for a Minecraft port when Microsoft buys Mojang, but with Microsoft they can make a business deal: Nintendo makes sure any legal obstacles for Microsoft to publish the Nintendo-related Rare Replay games and Microsoft will make sure that Minecraft for Wii U before the holiday season.

I don't think Minecraft fits the Tantalus' description of their game at all.

Tregard

Soothsayer
I think this happened:
* One reason why Minecraft didn't happen before was because Nintendo refuses to pay money for porting. One other possible reason could be Notch.
* Nintendo still refuses to pay for a Minecraft port when Microsoft buys Mojang, but with Microsoft they can make a business deal: Nintendo makes sure any legal obstacles for Microsoft to publish the Nintendo-related Rare Replay games and Microsoft will make sure that Minecraft for Wii U before the holiday season and give them Banjo for Smash.

Devil's in the detail

I think this happened:
* Nintendo still refuses to pay for a Minecraft port when Microsoft buys Mojang, but with Microsoft they can make a business deal: Nintendo makes sure any legal obstacles for Microsoft to publish the Nintendo-related Rare Replay games and Microsoft will make sure that Minecraft for Wii U before the holiday season.

Wether minecraft is the tantalus game or not, you'd have to be blind not to agree it fits the description

Jofamo

With it coming so late, and from the looks of things not coming to 3DS, one has to wonder if this is an early play for Mojang.

We all know that Nintendo are making sure the NX is an easy jump up for developers from Wii U.

Minecraft on NX day one?

Wether minecraft is the tantalus game or not, you'd have to be blind not to agree it fits the description

Well, humans are notorious for seeing what they want see. It would be much more informational to look for anything that might cast doubt on such a hypothesis, not rely on similarities that feed into confirmation bias. We can notice patterns in virtually everything; all we need is the power of suggestion.

Tantalus said it was their biggest project to date. Considering that they ported over Mass Effect 3 (complete with an interactive story for Mass Effect 1/2) to Wii U, something isn't adding up.

The only way that porting Minecraft is a bigger project than Mass Effect 3 is if the Wii U version of Minecraft is substantially more demanding on development resources than Mass Effect 3, which would only make sense if there were orders of magnitude more content in the Wii U version of Minecraft than the other versions of Minecraft, which I'm not exactly inclined to believe is true.

Lazaro

I think this happened:

I wouldn't be surprised if Rare was hypothetically in this deal.

Imagine, Rare porting their enhanced N64 IP's to 3DS/WiiU/NX...

Banjo Kazooie in 3D...

Well, humans are notorious for seeing what they want see. It would be much more informational to look for anything that might cast doubt on such a hypothesis, not rely on similarities that feed into confirmation bias. We can notice patterns in virtually everything; all we need is the power of suggestion.

Tantalus said it was their biggest project to date. Considering that they ported over Mass Effect 3 (complete with an interactive story for Mass Effect 1/2) to Wii U, something isn't adding up.

The only way that porting Minecraft is a bigger project than Mass Effect 3 is if the Wii U version of Minecraft is substantially more demanding on development resources than Mass Effect 3, which would only make sense if that were orders of magnitude more content in the Wii U version of Minecraft than the other versions of Minecraft, which I'm not exactly inclined to believe is true.

Biggest project well porting mass effect was done in a matter of months and minecraft is certainly a bigger game in terms of popularity

Biggest project well porting mass effect was done in a matter of months and minecraft is certainly a bigger game in terms of popularity

That makes no sense. If I'm not mistaken, they said 'biggest project' not 'biggest game', and there is a difference between the two. The former indicating the level of effort needed to port the game, the latter indicating the level of prestige in porting the game.

If it's the former, I highly doubt Minecraft is that project.

That makes no sense. If I'm not mistaken, they said 'biggest project' not 'biggest game', and there is a difference between the two. The former indicating the level of effort needed to port the game, the latter indicating the level of prestige in porting the game.

If it's the former, I highly doubt Minecraft is that project.

It could mean either though

Also Mass effect 3 was on an engine that already had some level of Wii U support so it's possible minecraft required more work, we may find out if we see how much effort has been put into the game later tonight

It could mean either though

Also Mass effect 3 was on an engine that already had some level of Wii U support so it's possible minecraft required more work, we may find out if we see how much effort has been put into the game later tonight

Here's the context

Tantalus said:
We’re doing that. It hasn’t been announced, but it will be soon. And can I just further add to the mystique and say that it’s big. It’s the biggest thing we’ve ever done. And it’ll come out this year, and I hope it won’t disappoint.

It seems obvious to me that he's talking about the effort they put into it. It makes no sense that it would take nearly 2 years for them to figure it out.

Here's the context

It seems obvious to me that he's talking about the effort they put into it. It makes no sense that it would take nearly 2 years for them to figure it out.

It really could mean biggest in either sense of the word and even if biggest in effort that doesn't preclude it from being minecraft

It really could mean biggest in either sense of the word and even if biggest in effort that doesn't preclude it from being minecraft

You're right, it doesn't preclude it being Minecraft, but it makes me doubtful that this is what they've been working on.

And yes, there's the possibility that he's just talking about prestige, but it didn't come across to me that way. I guess we'll see soon enough.

You're right, it doesn't preclude it being Minecraft, but it makes me doubtful that this is what they've been working on.

And yes, there's the possibility that he's just talking about prestige, but it didn't come across to me that way. I guess we'll see soon enough.

There's also the other really important bit of evidence, what the hell else could it be

There's also the other really important bit of evidence, what the hell else could it be

As a scientist, I cannot accept the 'God of the gaps' argument or Argumentum ad Ignorantiam (appeal to ignorance) as valid evidence for anything. It's pretty useful for entertainment purposes, I suppose.

I wouldn't be surprised if Rare was hypothetically in this deal.

Imagine, Rare porting their enhanced N64 IP's to 3DS/WiiU/NX...

Banjo Kazooie in 3D...

And porting their 360 games also to Wii U/NX. They can release individual ports of Pinata, Kameo, and Nuts & Bolts so as to not compete with the value of Rare Replay.

bengraven

My kid is freaking out. We already have it on PC (since alpha), every tablet/phone in the house, and on PS3 and now he's insisting we buy a Wii U.

That's good for me, because I've been trying to talk the wife into getting one. :)

We're going to so buy the Nintendo skins.

More like

4816.png

Hey, you might be joking but this is Minecraft. I wouldnt be surprised if it gave the Wii U a boost in console sales..
I would be surprised. The game's available everywhere else, so if anything, this is a game that'll end up with a huge attach rate, but I don't see people buying Wii Us just to place it.

Dee Dee

Sooo...

... after Cloud (!!) being in Smash, are they going to announce the Minecraft Wii U Version in the Smash special and then talk about how Steve is the latest Smash newcomer?

EVERYTHING IS POSSIBLE NOW!

Top Bottom