• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft Wii U Edition rated by Pegi

cireza

..you realize people are talking about things like offloading the inventory screen onto the gamepad and not just having another screen to play the game on, right?
Nope. Probably because I never felt that this was such an incredible advantage. I would gladly exchange any second screen I have for a better system overall.

jediyoshi

Nope. Probably because I never felt that this was such an incredible advantage. I would gladly exchange any second screen I have for a better system overall.

Tell us more about what you think about other systems in this Minecraft for Wii U thread.

thefro

I'm gonna go with The theory that Miyamoto just heard of this game last week.

No, Stephen Totilo asked Miyamoto (and Takahashi) basically "why the heck doesn't Wii U have a Minecraft port?" at E3 2014

http://kotaku.com/what-nintendos-top-game-creators-think-of-minecraft-1593839008

I suspect that's what finally got the ball rolling on the port, although I'm sure Minecraft's success on Vita in Japan probably would have led to Nintendo management actually caring about the game.

Escalario

Banned
Too little too late for what?

For me to care enough to buy it. 2-3 years ago any WiiU owner would have a hard time finding games to buy, Minecraft would sell a shitton more releasing then instead of today. With the few WiiU games announced for the rest of this and next year, I have enough for Minecraft to be a no buy, and by the time I'm done with WiiU, NX will be out for quite some time.

Oersted

For me to care enough to buy it. 2-3 years ago any WiiU owner would have a hard time finding games to buy, Minecraft would sell a shitton more releasing then instead of today. With the few WiiU games announced for the rest of this and next year, I have enough for Minecraft to be a no buy, and by the time I'm done with WiiU, NX will be out for quite some time.

Lets be honest for a second, given your locked WiiU thread and your tag, you have been done with it from the getgo.

Furthermore, your point boils down to not interested therefore too late, which is fine on a personal level, but worthless for making a categoric statement.

I've avoided the minecraft phenomenon( son's been trying to hook me for years) but I would bit on this especially with amiibo support. Using your amiibo to unlock in-game assets and playable avatars would be great.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
You forgot Samus in Halo.

This explains why Samus is missing from Metroid 3DS. She's busy fighting side-by-side with the Master Chief. However, this would surely be stuff for a Microsoft Direct, not a Nintendo Direct, don't you think?

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
In general its hard to play this game not on PC or Pocket edition with the command line and mods. That's not a Wii U specific problem for me. Just a general console problem.

TunaLover

It could be cool to have a whole game theme based in Zelda, Mario, Metroid serie, for example you tap your Samus amiibo and space-alien like texures are loaded, enemies, materials all changing acordling.

Tregard

Soothsayer
It could be cool to have a whole game theme based in Zelda, Mario, Metroid serie, for example you tap your Samus amiibo and space-alien like texures are loaded, enemies, materials all changing acordling.

This would be the hook I need to buy on WiiU

Litri

Shit, that would be totally awesome!

Effect

I guess better late then never. Though it sucks it's only at the end of the Wii Us life does this happen. So many years wasted by either a refusal to put the game on the Wii U or Nintendo refusing to do what it should have been doing to secure one of the best selling games for its system when there were no tech limitations at all stopping it while it was on every other platform and had been for years. This is a game they should have been willing to pay for since it was clear many kids were into it and it would have exposed those kids to their other games. No matter how it's looked at it was simply and purely bad business on Nintendo's part not securing this years ago.

Thinking now if it has Amiibo support you could possibly get a skin of the character, and something else from scanning. Samus skin and blaster, DK skin and barrel, Megaman and Etank.

Ok, now this is speaking my language. I hope they do this.

It's pretty embarrassing at this point to NOT have a Minecraft port, they've put it on virtually everything else. I think it was only last year Notch was making fun of the Wii U now look where MS is going.

foltzie1

That's what I was thinking. Microsoft... on Nintendo? What's next, cats and dogs getting along?

SEGA shutting down its hardware business to support other consoles.

Wait, reverse those two.

Edit: Also, this has happened before, of course pre xbox.
Best_of_Microsoft.jpg

The minecraft story game is also coming out for it.

So it may not be that late after all. Actually it's a better timing than a few month before.

I've watched a few people play Minecraft and I don't really get the game (maybe it's because it's super accessible for kids unlike other similar games)... if there's a demo I'll try the story version though.

SEGA shutting down its hardware business to support other consoles.

Wait, reverse those two.

Edit: Also, this has happened before, of course pre xbox.
Best_of_Microsoft.jpg

Ms also let viva pinata, zoo tycoon, age of empires (not 100% on the last one) come to ds plus rare made another ds game for Nintendo iirc

sörine

Banned
There was nothing to really squeeze down that severely, though, since the only reason it took up a dual layer disc was because the western release included both VA tracks. The Japanese release was on a single layer disc.
ROM/ISO sizes:

Xenoblade JP: 4.30GB
Xenoblade EU/NA: 6.70GB
Xenoblade 3D: 3.60GB
Xenoblade X: 22.70GB

They still had to make room. And with the 3DS display being half the resolution of standard Wii output (480p) it made sense to compress textures anyway. Where XB3D really needed to make technical concessions (and the one area Wii legitimately outperforms n3DS) was for remodeling geometry.

jediyoshi

No. What I said was simple and detailed enough to be understood. As everyone on a forum, I give my point of view.

You sure did. You brought up the Vita and then other systems apropos of something, I was just fascinated where the rabbit hole landed next. Would you say Minecraft is also preferable on PC because of mods?

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
The possibilities. Phil Spencer in a Direct. Phil Spencer's Twitter account retwitting the Direct. Oh man, the cross-over possibilities XD

sörine

Banned
Ms also let viva pinata, zoo tycoon, age of empires (not 100% on the last one) come to ds plus rare made another ds game for Nintendo iirc
Don't forget the DS Blue Dragon games. Would be awesome if we could get a port of the real BD on Wii U, PS4 or NX.

sörine;185161802 said:
Don't forget the DS Blue Dragon games. Would be awesome if we could get a port of the real BD on Wii U, PS4 or NX.

Weren't the ds bd games even developed by a Nintendo owned studio? (can't remember which one)

Thraktor

No, Stephen Totilo asked Miyamoto (and Takahashi) basically "why the heck doesn't Wii U have a Minecraft port?" at E3 2014

http://kotaku.com/what-nintendos-top-game-creators-think-of-minecraft-1593839008

I suspect that's what finally got the ball rolling on the port, although I'm sure Minecraft's success on Vita in Japan probably would have led to Nintendo management actually caring about the game.

Actually, strange as it may seem, I have the feeling this is more Microsoft's doing than Nintendo's. Microsoft were quite clear when they bought Mojang that it's going to remain a separate company and not be integrated into the Xbox division, and in that position MS is going to want Mojang to be as profitable as possible, which basically means porting Minecraft to every platform going. The XBox360/PS3 editions were the result of the platform holders themselves pushing heavily for the ports (and likely paying for them too), and there's no indication Notch had any intention of bringing the game to anything other than PC and possibly mobile (hence why the ports are handled by a different studio). It seems that Nintendo never pushed for a Wii U port, but now that Mojang is owned by a company which is firmly focussed on profitability they don't have to push.

Taker666

I've avoided the minecraft phenomenon( son's been trying to hook me for years) but I would bit on this especially with amiibo support. Using your amiibo to unlock in-game assets and playable avatars would be great.

..it would be even greater if they just included those assets as standard without having to buy an amiibo.

sörine;185161802 said:

Microsoft are not going to put their big core games on competing consoles. At best there will be an Xbox One port and/or it will be backwards compatible when they solve the multi-disc situation

Oersted

Weren't the ds bd games even developed by a Nintendo owned studio? (can't remember which one)

Just one, Blue Dragon Plus. Co-developed by 1-UP Studio(formerly Brownie Brown).

Microsoft are not going to put their big core games on competing consoles. At best there will be an Xbox One port and/or it will be backwards compatible when they solve the multi-disc situation

The last Blue Dragon was Blue Dragon: Awakened Shadow for Nintendo DS in 2009, and the last console game by Mistwalker, the primary Blue Dragon developer, was Last Story for Nintendo Wii. Mistwalker now develops for iOS/Android.

I do think Blue Dragon for WiiU/3DS is very unlikely, but well, mainly due to the reality I listed above.

Jumpman23

I REALLY hope this is announced in the Direct today. Should be ported to DS and WiiU with the ability for you to upload/download to either platform. Perhaps early signs of what the NX handheld and console will eventually be doing.

Top Bottom