• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Miniature Gaming-Age (WH40k, Warmachine, Etc.)

Li Kao

Wait so what's happening to the tau??

Uh, nothing, I'm just not good enough to make a black & white Tau the GW way and had to experiment a little.
I also had to glue two broken drones on their little stand, I'm becoming a master at gluing things. Semi broken little insigna on a Blood Angel in the Space Hulk box ? No biggy, I coated the fragile area with super glue with... a toothpick X)

No painting last night and it will be touch and go for awhile because of Xmas. Last night was gift wrapping and I have a neighborhood Xmas party tomorrow night.

I kind of wanted to quickly paint a single zombie speed painting style and see how fast I could do it, but I just ran out of steam at the end of the night. I've been working late lately too which does not help.

Some slimy rippers!
LncJr3o.jpg

Brakke

Banned
Big Warmachine doings today. First big MK III errata / patch dropped, seems like mostly good and fair changes. Also starting in March they're going to hold public tests for all new rules before they release. Plus they're going to stop packing cards in with most models, hosting all the cards online for free in PDF but offering a print-on-demand service for anyone who still wants professional printing on card stock; pushing War Room as the main way to play.

Some room for nitpicking but overall good and healthy announcements I think.

I'm super keen on that new Tzeentch battletome for AoS. Looks like an essential purchase - I love the idea of bringing the Destiny Dice over from Silver Tower as a themed allegiance skill for a Tzeentch force. That's realy fun.

3 runners in 12 minutes, including the bases! Only 10 more B&W runners to go! (Then 36 walkers and 4 fatties). I definitely need a small change of pace after the runners though. Taking my own advice from above, I think a quick group of 18 Seekers will do the trick. I'll get to paint blue and I can knock out an entirely new zombie type for actual use in game. I think the blue will really pop compared to the B&W, green, and red zombies. At least that's my hope! I took a similar break a few weeks ago and did all the crows in one sitting.

296DCAB5-8610-457F-8655-2DACA2B20C20.jpg

Edit: Oh snap! 2 more runners!

6D7CE3A3-DFE9-4D69-AD25-AEA382F099E2.jpg

Li Kao

Could somebody confirms that old and new GW (Old World / Sigmar and 40K) have changed scale ? Is it just the base size that changed ? I made the archaeological dig today and not sure if the minis are worth painting, most look like dwarves.
I should try to cut the slot on one of the minis and put it on a newer base, but I doubt it would totally correct the effect.

Anyone could confirm ?

Could somebody confirms that old and new GW (Old World / Sigmar and 40K) have changed scale ? Is it just the base size that changed ? I made the archaeological dig today and not sure if the minis are worth painting, most look like dwarves.
I should try to cut the slot on one of the minis and put it on a newer base, but I doubt it would totally correct the effect.

Anyone could confirm ?

I think the scale is the same, but the new stuff GW has been making especially for Sigmar seems to be more epic and grand looking. Also the bases make a big difference.

Li Kao

Yeah, you're right in that comparing side by side old school and modern GW is in itself making a disservice to the old stuff. I guess I should take a pic to show you how extremely different the old Ultramarine I painted at the same time as a kill team look. Midget Ultamarine. Minimarine.
But yeah, taking into consideration the seemingly smaller old bases and the style difference, maybe they are indeed still the same scale.
Do people still play with old minis ?

Leunam

Absolutely. By and large the new models are far better, but not everyone is going to rebuild and repaint whenever new models come out.

Old warhammer figs were mostly posed to fit together in the regimental square formations. Now that the figs are played as individuals 40k style, they do more epic and elaborate poses on the figures so they do give an illusion of being bigger.

Like all orcs previously were in the same leaning forward position with the arms at the sides which let them stand in rows next to each other. Now they can be posed more dynamically.

Li Kao

So MiniGAF, is it just the base height that throws me off ?

PS. This camera has a thing against my painting. I swear it will underline every bad aspects.

PPS. If the delivery guy isn't overworked to hell and back I should receive Mech vs. Minions today. With the amount of mini in this game I think I can mention it here :p

Brakke

Banned
Oh Mech vs. Minions is pretty fun. I'm about halfway through it with my squad. I kind of wish there was some persistence or branching paths if you fail or something. But the scenarios so far have had good variety and it generally does a good job of being whacky mayhem without crossing the line into frustrating.

Christmas Haul:

My painting station is our office that we converted from a laundry room. We moved the washer/dryer into the garage instead and put in an old kitchen countertop that we got for cheap. It's a little small but there's enough room to turn around.

I put some old shelves up on both walls. My two shelves are currently dedicated to paints and flock and the other to unfinished stuff or unopened boxes.

Behind my chair are three Ikea Alex drawers. They are filled to the brim with mostly Dwarven Forge terrain. I probably have over $5k worth of it by now. I posted a couple pictures of my collection before.

I have another couple of grand in Reaper minis and about 15000 total points of Age of Sigmar. The Space Wolves box I got for Christmas is my first foray into 40K.

Can't wait to see your take on Space Wolves, Zombie!

I made some Zoanthropes / Venomthropes. I want to go with the Zoanthrope heads because the Alien theme my army has, and I don't want to buy another box of these (it's a great kit, a real joy to work with, but pretty expensive for just three minis) so I just magnetised the tentacles and claws so I can swap them if I want. I'd say that is a suitable proxy for a Venomthrope, what you guys think?

If you are wondering about the green stuff mess, I wanted to tilt the mini a bit more forward.

manfestival

So I went to the game shop to use my just purchased army and I had a nice surprise. They gave me a couple boxes with foam, 30 kroot, 2 more devilfish, an ethereal, path finders, more fire warriors,2 more broadsides, a kroot commander, tenplates, and a bunch of drones all for free (donated by a guy that heard that I bought another players tau army).

Played my first real game of 1214 points lol against daemons. I won because the guy had to go but I couldn't help but feel like there was one more round till I felt the wrath of melee.

So all in all, the only things left that I might need would be a ghostkeel, riptide, and maybe a storms urge. I am super stoked and I just got a gift card to the games workshop store. I plan on buying some paints while I am there

Doing something different with my new Hive Tyrant!

Putting the torso backwards really helps to give the mini a more intimidating pose!

Arms are magnetised. I had to pin the talon together with the wing because the magnet would not support the wing alone. This has been a learning experience lol. Also my green stuff skills are not very good, but getting better.

Edit. also Swarmlord

Faiz

For Christmas my wife gave me a shopping spree at a local game shop and my parents gave me a gift card to a local modeling shop. It's about to rain paints and basing materials, and I'll finally be ready to share some finished minis that I got for my birthday back in August 😂

Mikeside

My grandad got me the Warmachine starter set for Xmas and my mum got me the AvP minis game.

Still got 4 Guild Ball teams, 2 Blood Bowl teams, a bunch of Skitarii, a few Tau and some marines to paint before I get to that.

Brakke

Banned
Do we have a painting challenge going right now? After months of not really painting anything, I'm going to get a couple solid days in here before the end of the year.

Leunam

Do we have a painting challenge going right now? After months of not really painting anything, I'm going to get a couple solid days in here before the end of the year.

Our theme will be: Up Close and Personal

- Single Model
- Any model from any range, preferably an infantry model, but no restriction on size
- The model must be a unit or character who has forsaken ranged weapons completely and would rather get in peoples faces with close combat, be it with chainswords, spears, knives, axes, claws, or bare fists. Despite what Warhammer tells you, pistols do not count for close combat here. :)
- Include a brief description of your approach to this challenge

The choices for the January group build are:

- BFG (single model with ranged heavy weapon)
- Yes, Sergeant! (Single squad leader model)
- One Shot, One Kill (Single sniper model)
- Cover Up (Scatter terrain piece/pieces)

I'm going to give it a few extra days into January since lots of people were on holiday.

So MiniGAF, is it just the base height that throws me off ?

PS. This camera has a thing against my painting. I swear it will underline every bad aspects.

PPS. If the delivery guy isn't overworked to hell and back I should receive Mech vs. Minions today. With the amount of mini in this game I think I can mention it here :p

No, those 2e era plastic snap fits (they are actually Space Crusade models IIRC) are actual 25mm scale figures whereas the 3rd Ed plastic multipose on the left is a 28mm heroic scale model. The same height problem exists for several pewter models from 2e days. You'll have to live with it..

Merry Christmas Miniature GAF!

BE66EE57-C460-4AE1-8340-E52E43BE91E6.jpg

I stared at 40 VIP zombies until an idea struck me. Much like the zombivors, they have to be the same as normal zombies, but still different enough to stand out. I decided on what is supposed to look like a "colorized" b&w movie. Zombivors still stick out more thanks to their bolder colors. I have another group on the way that will hopefully illustrate the point. For VIPs, I'm simply putting a couple of my washes over the light gray. I am also going to paint a spot of gold on each type whenever I can.

In gameplay terms, Very Infected People are random replacements for standard walkers. If a player collects 4 of the same VIP model, they get to pick a "pimp" weapon (more powerful than a normal weapon). Its a fun little mini game for players to partake in. It also boosts the number of walkers you can draw from, which is pretty important in the game!

I am also making a conscious decision to make them look identical. Its important for gameplay to make them look the same so they are easier to pick out among the packs of zombies.

Those zombies are hilarious.

How's the game, by the way? A truckload of minis for sure, but besides?

I love the game itself too. It can be played solo or with up to 12 people. Your characters gain experience by killing zombies and completing objectives on a beautiful modular board. As you hit certain thresholds with experience, you get to choose additional skills. However, the amount of zombies that spawn also increases. There's a lot of risk/reward depending on how you play. There is an abundance of content for the game as well, which is always a huge plus for me.

The cons are, while no 2 games are ever alike, they certainly are similar. Certain strategies, like opening doors early, searching, and arming your team, are going to happen in almost every game. Many maps/scenarios alter this to one extent or another, but it's still the smart thing to do in the vast majority of the missions. The same argument can be made against the vast majority of board games though, even Space Hulk, which is my favorite.

The real joy comes in the cinematic moments the game creates for the players. Having a lone player run into a group of zombies, knowing he is going to die so the others will live, is a great thing to experience. Or when you're almost to the end and suddenly an Abomination (the hardest zombie in the game) is drawn and blocks your path. Then to see the team frantically work together to coordinate to kill it. It's like Left 4 Dead, except as a board game.

The variety of zombies keeps everything extremely interesting. So does the vast amount of different survivors and their abilities. Also, I am a sucker for good looking/well produced board games. I'm telling you that Zombiecide, with everything fully painted, is like nothing else out there!

There's a new version that takes place in a fantasy setting which many people really enjoy as well. Personally, I have so many fantasy dungeon crawlers that I'm taking a pretty hard pass on what is essentially the exact same game.

Li Kao

These hot dogs are, well, I think they are approaching perfection. Be it the intelligent color scheme you applied to the minis or even the color tones, I can't think of anything bad about them. This is disgusting, you are so out of reach it hurts :p

I had to mix a custom color for the actual hot dog because there's not a hot dog paint out there, lol!

I can't wait to get my hands on the other VIPs now.

Thanks for the compliments. It is encouraging.

Li Kao

On my side the Tau could be seen as finished but I applied the texture on the base and jumped on my star collecting Necrons box :-S
The plan was to do an easy to paint army after the Tau, but with my usual luck I don't know if they are indeed easy to paint but they are a pain to assemble. Sprues on the Necrons cheeks, really GW ?
On the plus side the Stalker was my first big mini and it was a joy to assemble.

Necrons should be a cakewalk to paint. My only issue with them is that every army tends to look the same. I would struggle trying to differentiate a Necron army from the pack.

Chrome spray paint + heavy shade dipping, highlight, and paint glowing color of choice on everything you can? Seems like a super fast army to paint!

Li Kao

Necrons should be a cakewalk to paint. My only issue with them is that every army tends to look the same. I would struggle trying to differentiate a Necron army from the pack.

Chrome spray paint + heavy shade dipping, highlight, and paint glowing color of choice on everything you can? Seems like a super fast army to paint!

I will evidently shit the bed on something but yeah, they look like a walk in the park.

Related to all this Necron assembling I asked a little question on reddit (because I don't know how many Necron players are on Gaf) :

"So on the hobby scale I'm 99% a painter and never played the game yet, but I'm assembling a Start Collecting Necron box and was wondering if there is a consensus about the weapon I should mount on the Triarch Stalker.
For reference I have to choose between Heat Ray, Particle Shredder and Twin-Linked Heavy Gauss Cannon. If there is no clearly better option I think I will go with the PS used on the cover but hey, it never hurts to ask."

Don't hesitate to give an input guys.

Leunam

Great work as always Eskimo. Those Santas and Hot Dog dudes must have been from the mall expansion right? They look great. As for hotdog color you could try looking at Vallejo colors that they pack together for Flames of War. They had a leather color I think for US Army spats that might have worked. Not that you need it anymore lol

For my Triarch Stalker I'm pretty sure I took the Particle Shredder, but that was in the last codex and I don't know if it got an upgrade or not.

Necrons can be dull but there are lots of opportunities believe it or not. Obviously you have a whole range of metals to choose from, including brass or bronze, but some people really go the extra mile and try marble and ceramic. You could also go the raw stone route like sandstone, just some heavy drybrushing over light texture paint. If you do decide to go the classic look you can still make them standout a little more by choosing your wash wisely. Wash with Nuln Oil to start and then get creative with blue or purple washes.

All zombies that are in uniform are from VIP box sets. The mall expansion had toxic zombies.

Also, I really enjoy making my own colors for one shot minis. My 24oz $1 bottles of paint will never be replaced with name brands!

I will evidently shit the bed on something but yeah, they look like a walk in the park.

Related to all this Necron assembling I asked a little question on reddit (because I don't know how many Necron players are on Gaf) :

"So on the hobby scale I'm 99% a painter and never played the game yet, but I'm assembling a Start Collecting Necron box and was wondering if there is a consensus about the weapon I should mount on the Triarch Stalker.
For reference I have to choose between Heat Ray, Particle Shredder and Twin-Linked Heavy Gauss Cannon. If there is no clearly better option I think I will go with the PS used on the cover but hey, it never hurts to ask."

Don't hesitate to give an input guys.

The only solution I've found to this problem is magnetize everything. I just did the same thing planning out the Start Collecting Spacewolves I got for Christmas and I'm looking at something like 40-ish magnets if I don't want to go digging for bits because they only give a you couple extra arms and shoulder pads for like 10 extra weapon options... per unit. So I'm looking through the codex and going "Ok, what the hell are all the options this can take and then how the hell do I make all of that swappable." It won't be too bad, since I really like magnetizing stuff but it's a lot of careful planning and research before I even start cutting the sprues - which I'm not really used to. In AoS, I've always just slapped whatever looks cool on the model because why not (plus most units have either no options or maybe one or two weapon options at most). But our local 40k players are very, very much WYSIWYG.

Nurse, Sailor, & Pimp completed! I did them all in about 3hrs. I painted the sailor 3 times though. He was a bitch. I should have kept it simple from the start. Lesson learned!

E1E16039-4863-4575-AA9C-7F69AF0E2CFC.jpg

And that means a new group shot!

D1DA6D28-519A-4E9E-BAEE-2596A9ECE693.jpg

Only 16 more to go (4 groups of 4).

Here's an interesting breakdown on each step in painting these VIP zombies. Each pic was taken after an episode of the Simpsons (no commercials, 22 minutes each).

5B1944FC-1B27-4CCE-905B-F6D325305F9D.jpg

64C73B44-88D4-45BB-9A5C-3CBB73D650EE.jpg

5DFAFCE7-C5FD-40BC-8CBF-DD6E26D44591.jpg

E9C03D6B-4F29-4FF8-9FF7-7688A9886AC0.jpg

DAE132B2-E018-431F-B9AD-207FD2332B0B.jpg

E1E16039-4863-4575-AA9C-7F69AF0E2CFC.jpg

So, 6 episodes of the Simpsons is all this took, even with the sailor fuck ups and repaints.

Sillyeskimo dude how many minis do you own total??

Just Zombicide alone is 417 minis. Holy shit, I never counted them all together before. That's going to be one hell of an accomplishment when I finished that off. 171 down, 246 to go. You guys are going to see zombies posted in this thread for months, lol!

All my miniatures combined across all games and genres would be around... 2000ish? It may sound like a lot, but it's really not. I'm not a mega buyer and painter of miniatures or armies. I have never had a complete 40k army, despite buying and painting them off and on for over 30 years. Although, I'm pretty damn close on full Eldar and Blood Angels armies.

All my miniatures combined across all games and genres would be around... 2000ish? It may sound like a lot, but it's really not.

You saying that makes me feel better about my collection. I'm sitting on about 300 models of Age of Sigmar, 50ish for 40k/30k, about 3,500 pieces of terrain and set dressing - mostly Dwarven Forge, a little over 1,000 Reaper minis, and about 400 more from assorted board games (D&D, War of the Ring, etc.).

All told about 5,000 pieces of so. It's an addiction.

Getting out of my hobby funk with this guy. Waiting for the pva glue on his base to dry out overnight so I can make a start on it.

Undecided on colour scheme, whether to make him match the rest of my force or go with a different Stormhost since he's a lone wolf of sorts.

Top Bottom