• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mirror's Edge Catalyst (PC/PS4/XB1, Reboot, DICE, Q1 2016) officially announced

Feep

Banned
Thanks for the info. I quoted you into this thread since more people seem to be looking for info there: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1063561

I'd be curious what the objectives were like if you want to elaborate. I hear there is a time trial/speed run type one? Was it similar to the first game's? Did it just give you a start and end point or were there different markers to hit along the way?

I believe one of the missions is the billboard one? Was it tricky to figure out how to get there?

Are there little collectibles in the world (I think I saw them in the first footage)? If you can't answer these I understand! I'm just starved for info on the game.
Yeah, a time trial-esque mission was called a "dash". It was within the campaign, not a separate mode, but it was essentially the same thing. Very similar.

The billboard "puzzle" was hardly that. It was obvious how to get up there, and I accomplished it within seconds. The "secret" I mentioned was harder, but this was clearly meant to be a very easy demo. I make no judgments here. I'm also a very good ME player (three starred all time trials in the original).

There were those golden collectable things. I forget what the game called them, data chips? No story information was unlocked upon collecting maybe seven of them. It's just pretty obvious "explore all the crevices of our painstakingly built city, jerks", but that's fine, I like exploring. :)

TripOpt55

Thanks for answering the questions Feep! I appreciate it.

I figure collectibles like that could be fun here because they could just put them in a tough to reach spot (I know they weren't in the footage, but they could be in other places) and make sort of an environmental puzzle out of it. Even if you can see it, how do I get there? I like that sort of stuff even if ME is more about the high speed lines. And yeah I think I will just really enjoy exploring this game world. I did see them mention character progression/gadgets in an interview. Perhaps they might be like currency for that? I don't know just throwing stuff out there. I can't wait to see more of this game!

SomTervo

Got to play it. Completed all objectives and even nailed a secret bonus thing!

Didn't really see any new moves minus contextual bits, like using pipes to whip ninety degrees. Lots of good new animations for stuff like hitting the ground from too high. Graphic fidelity is amazing. Movement is very similar to ME1.

Combat..well, it was set up so I had aerial drop-ins for almost all enemies, so I didn't get to play around too much. Seemed okay? There were two buttons (one was labeled "Perceptual attack" or something) , and a third button was another attack not yet unlocked.

You pick way points on the map and then your runner vision is used to highlight objects that will take you toward your objective, which is very cool and a good way to feel more linear focused paths in a wider, open city) which is called Glass, by the by). Early story seemed MUCH stronger than ME1, really felt competent.

Still walking around E3 but I'll be back tonight if anyone has any questions.

This is great, thank you so much.

Any indication of how large the city was? Did you see a map screen or anything? The only open world which has ever met my thirst for sheer scale (with relative quality) has been The Witcher 3 so far.

Expert Mirror's Edge speedurnner/glitcher, ovendonkey, talked about playing it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-W71J8Ud4gM

Main takeaways: springboards off anything now!

No elevators in the demo.

Cicle button didn't do anything, so maybe they'll add reaction time (slow-mo) later.

Two kinds of attacks now on square and triangle (x and y on xbox) called flow and transferrence attacks that maintain the momentum or a more powerful attack that can push enemy back really far, respectively.

If you stop a wallclimb, you'll slide down rather than falling, so you can flip and do other stuff. Can chain wallclimbs. So you wallclimb, turn jump, then wallclimb off other wall, and a further turn jump is possible.

On last enemy, there is a finishing 3rd person animation which ovendonkey hopes is optional, cause kind of immersion breaking (although you get to see Faith's model).

Longer window for skill rollls, while in original game it was very short.

Two kinds of attacks now on square and triangle (x and y on xbox) called flow and transferrence attacks that maintain the momentum or a more powerful attack that can push enemy back really far, respectively.

Really like the sound of this. One thing I always wanted out of the first game was a way of maintaining my momentum when I attacked someone, like bouncing off them or just throwing out a quick punch as you scream by. And being able to trade your speed for a big ol' thump of an attack sounds really neat.

Interesting that they're face buttons, though, rather than being mapped to the right trigger like in the first game. The first game had all the essential movements mapped to the shoulder buttons so you could always have your thumbs on the sticks, but I suppose it won't matter too much with melee attacks.

GavinUK86

I don't remember if the yellow bags in Mirror's Edge 1 unlocked anything either, but it was still neat to find them.

No, just the achievement.

On last enemy, there is a finishing 3rd person animation which ovendonkey hopes is optional, cause kind of immersion breaking (although you get to see Faith's model).

Am I the only person who loves it when first-person games switch to third-person for takedown animations? I loved it in DE:HR.

Zareka

So this was just RT'd onto my Twitter feed.
WTcqeUx.png
It was gone by the time I spotted it so I could only get the smaller image.
Wasn't sure if this deserved it's own thread or not. Twitter guy/gal screwed uuuuuup.

Moofers

^^ Yeah I saw that too. Not wild about another big statue CE. Give me a steelbook edition and call it a day, man. I got over the big box editions a while ago. Shit is just destined to become clutter I don't need.

So this was just RT'd onto my Twitter feed.

It was gone by the time I spotted it so I could only get the smaller image.

Wasn't sure if this deserved it's own thread or not. Twitter guy/gal screwed uuuuuup.

Holy fuck.

I -hate- most LEs. But gimme this.

JoshHood

Damn, was hoping to have a good LE for this, as I love the series. That looks pretty rubbish though. Even the statue's a bit bland.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
If you stop a wallclimb, you'll slide down rather than falling, so you can flip and do other stuff. Can chain wallclimbs. So you wallclimb, turn jump, then wallclimb off other wall, and a further turn jump is possible.

Yes.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.

You're talking that "fall off a high place and roll into the landing to stop harm from yourself" that is a Parkour signature? I dunno how I feel about that window change. The small window in Mirror's Edge felt like it made sense for the sake of feeling your character landing/momentum without the vibration/rumble of a controller.

You're talking that "fall off a high place and roll into the landing to stop harm from yourself" that is a Parkour signature? I dunno how I feel about that window change. The small window in Mirror's Edge felt like it made sense for the sake of feeling your character landing/momentum without the vibration/rumble of a controller.

I really do hope they have an "advanced controls" preference pane that lets you revert some of the more obvious "newbie friendly" changes. Or some kind of "hardcore" mode which ups the ante.

I just don't want a "press X to free-run" situation. I was never particularly good at the original, but thanks dying and dying and dying and dying and failing and failing and failing, the satisfaction at pulling off those perfect runs was pretty spectacular.

Mman235

Expert Mirror's Edge speedurnner/glitcher, ovendonkey, talked about playing it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-W71J8Ud4gM

Main takeaways: springboards off anything now!

No elevators in the demo.

Cicle button didn't do anything, so maybe they'll add reaction time (slow-mo) later.

Oh cool an actually top-level player has played it, I've got to check this out.

Edit: As far as the base movements go lack of side-steps seems like the only thing that might be notable dumbing down (if there's no new skill moves). All the other stuff sounds like a sensible expansion of things that make it easier for new players and open things up for better ones. Springboarding seemed kind of arbitrary in the original so turning it into a more consistent mechanic sounds like a great idea (though being able to do it almost anywhere might trivialise some platforming). Skill roll timings don't matter at the top levels (you either get the timing or restart) so making it easier doesn't change much as the best players nailed them easily anyway. I also agree with him that I hope there isn't a grappling hook, he even bought up Dying Light like I would.

Top Bottom