• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mirror's Edge Catalyst - Review Thread

I really liked the first game and even with review scores being spread across the board I still plan on picking this up just not right away

Haines

Banned
Preorder going back.

Maybe in a real dryspell but with doom and uc4 to finish and the ever addicting overwatch...

I'll settle for memories of the first.

Ennosuke

You're right. They're the anti-FromSoftware.

Rather than just hone in on what they do well - and they DO do things VERY well in some cases - they try and "broaden the appeal" but they do so always by diluting what makes their games special and unique and cramming in generic features they think every game needs to have.

It keeps backfiring, but they keep trying to do it.

This is a very good post! I noticed this as well. The game is still fun, but development should have been more focused on what was great and what needs to be improved to not stand out negatively. Instead they tried everythig out, to make this look like a big AAa title. They made it look like a meh Ubisoft game.

RedSwirl

The best thing I'm reading in the reviews is that the skill-based platforming is pretty much untouched compared to the first game.

No, there were others. There were many mandatory combat scenes, some more scripted than others.

I'm pretty sure I've successfully skipped every combat encounter in the game except the final one.

Okay, maybe not on my first run through the game, but if you think through it enough there are ways to avoid all those combat encounters. Some methods are deceptively simple.

Breakage

Not surprised at the average review scores. From what I've seen, it looks like they just made the same game with better graphics.

Mikey Jr.

If you have EA Access, maybe just wait for it there.

God knows it won't be too long before it appears on there. Thats what I'll do anyways.

commissar

I'm hoping there's a secret plan for DLC. Short stories evolving and expanding the city spaces would be pretty excellent.

(Also probably the only way they'll make $ off a presumably smallish audience)

Menitta

Not surprised at the average review scores. From what I've seen, it looks like they just made the same game with better graphics.

There are some differences like the open world (obviously) and the skill system. In addition there are some small movement options you can do, but past that, it's getting into the nitty gritty.

HMD

Just bought it, there's no way I'm skipping this one after skipping on the original because of the low reviews. The original is one of the best games I have ever played.

MattyG

Banned
Just tried it on Origin Access on my 970 and it runs terrible on it and, aside from resolution, doesn't seem to look much better than consoles. I only played the first mission (since I'm getting the full thing on PS4 and I don't want to have to play a ton of it over again), but it's super fun to play. I'm hoping that can make up for the visuals.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Not even looking at the scores. I'm reading what's being said about the open world aspect and its destroying me inside. I so wanted this game.

Menitta

Just bought it, there's no way I'm skipping this one after skipping on the original because of the low reviews. The original is one of the best games I have ever played.

I'm pretty much in the same boat. I'm looking at this game with the thought of "It shouldn't exist to begin with." Never in my life have I thought there'd be another Mirrors Edge. Even when it was confirmed and announced, I thought it'd be cancelled. I wouldn't get it if it was more gun-focused.

DOWN

Banned
I think this thread and several of the reviews have convinced me I want to support this franchise day one

I wanted more mirrors edge so day 1 for me.
Supporting games sends a message that not all games have to follow the rules to be good. It's a very niche game and now I highly doubt there'll be a sequel but dammit I want more mirrors edge.

nynt9

Supporting games sends a message that not all games have to follow the rules to be good. It's a very niche game and now I highly doubt there'll be a sequel but dammit I want more mirrors edge.

Too bad this follows all the rules, like open world, collectathon, unlock system etc.

Wanderer5

Bleh I still keeping my preorder. As long as the parkour is great (which I personally found so via beta), I will enjoy it, much like the original in spite of story and combat. Can't help but be a bit disappointed through, but I already set my expectations after the beta.

That's pretty damn funny to apply that stance to this game.

jem0208

I honestly don't understand the complaints about the open world.

If you don't enjoy running in ME then why are you playing the game at all?

The collectables are completely ignorable and the supposedly "filler" side missions are basically just a bunch of time trials.

Haines

Banned

No.

If you buy the game they will not notice 1 sale. Voting with your wallet simply doesn't exist.

If the game is good it will sell well. Look at doom. Than they will make more.

hlhbk

No.

If you buy the game they will not notice 1 sale. Voting with your wallet simply doesn't exist.

If the game is good it will sell well. Look at doom. Than they will make more.

If everyone thought this way then games would flop all the time. Day 1 sales matter.

I was THIS close to shelling out $200 for the collector's edition cause I loved the first one so much.

Thank God I waited for reviews. I'll still pick this up, when it drops to $40 or lower...

Also, I am not understanding this "support the franchise!" narrative. Are people saying we should all shell out $60+ for a mediocre game just so a future game MIGHT be better?

cme

Neo Member
Supporting this franchise is important to me. I was just as confused when the first one got mixed reviews and it ended up being my favorite video game of the last generation. I hope gamers don't let this franchise fade into oblivion by not supporting it.

I was hoping it would blow people away but I expected the scores in the end. Still buying it tomorrow as it's my most anticipated game of the year.

MaKTaiL

I was expecting lower scores, 7/10 mostly, 6 even. I loved the original but I felt the new one was too "Checklist of challanges" and the story would be put on the background. I'll probably get it later this year.

Got it on PC from Best Buy with a gift card and GCU. Third game I've ordered from Best Buy that said it would be delivered by street date and then somehow gets a delivery date 2-3 days after. This is getting returned and I'll probably just pick it up on Green Man.

Yoday

I honestly don't understand the complaints about the open world.

If you don't enjoy running in ME then why are you playing the game at all?

The collectables are completely ignorable and the supposedly "filler" side missions are basically just a bunch of time trials.
There has been a revolt against open world games in these forums the last few years to be honest. The open world is a huge plus for this game, as it opens up the possibility of an amazing amount of time trials and creative paths. At the end of the day Catalyst does everything the first one did, but better.

Shauni

I was THIS close to shelling out $200 for the collector's edition cause I loved the first one so much.

Thank God I waited for reviews. I'll still pick this up, when it drops to $40 or lower...

Also, I am not understanding this "support the franchise!" narrative. Are people saying we should all shell out $60+ for a mediocre game just so a future game MIGHT be better?

You realize this reviews are pretty much exactly like the first game, right? That game was, by no means, a critical darling.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain

74 on MC vs 79 MC is the difference between a great game and a mediocre one now. Really?

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Not like I was going to let the reviews sway me after the closed beta, but the scores are fine to me.

I can't believe a sequel to Mirror's Edge is about to hit. The one game I was hoping for a sequel for, for so many years.

Yes.

SomTervo

Playing the EA trial on PC right now.

On all Medium settings and 1050p it looks and runs far better than PS4 or XBO versions (which looked OK). Think I'm hitting 60FPS pretty consistently with a GTX 960 and good processor/RAM.

The MagLev grappling hook thing is awesome. Basically a first-person version of Uncharted 4's rope. Really great although it's a bit too sensitive to which WASD button you're pressing when you let go...

Combat is now great and I relish it in every level. Once you embrace the fact that you have you leap off walls/perform tricks to actually do the damage and dunk dudes, it becomes a badass martial ballet. Run up a wall, spin and jump off, slam a guy in the chest, kick him sideways into his buddy, dodge right to avoid an Enforcer's gunfire, then sprint towards him, crouch-slide under his gunfire, and slide-kick him in the nuts for a OHKO - then get up and hop-leap off a desk for a high-flying eagle-kick into the last guy's face... etc.

Even in enclosed spaces it becomes a brutal flurry of dodging around guys and kicking them into each other, off walls, into railings. So fun..

Best part is that if you want to avoid the combat you can do so. Though I think there was a moment in the Savant Extraordinaire mission where I had to beat 4-5 guys to proceed... Would need a replay to confirm though.

Open world seems great and general level design seems decent, although I am certainly slightly miffed about how they teased a huge world and it's just a big one. Good size so far, though. Some of it feels like total classic platformer material.

I'm glad EA provides these trials for there games. Without it, I probably would have skipped this game completely based solely on reviews.

Yep, I'm playing the EA trial and it re-sold me on a game I was already sold on.

I was expecting lower scores, 7/10 mostly, 6 even. I loved the original but I felt the new one was too "Checklist of challanges" and the story would be put on the background. I'll probably get it later this year.

The story was a complete joke in the original and it seems pretty much like a joke in this one.

Also the gameplay in Catalyst is in no way checklisty. There are a couple of collectibles but these compel you to platform and explore rather than tick boxes. 75% of the content so far (about 5 hours in) seems to be missions and runs which are each great.

image.php

I don't like the common thread in many of these reviews the open world hurts the game. I liked ME despite its flaws and would like to support this title but I never saw idea of making it more open world as a good one given the core mechanics and the need to very specific routes to make it shine.

Open world is fantastic. If this second game was as linear/closed as the original, I personally don't believe it would be as good as the game I am currently playing. In Catalyst there's a limitless range of possibilities for time trials and perfecting tight, intense routes.

You realize this reviews are pretty much exactly like the first game, right? That game was, by no means, a critical darling.

Mirror's Edge had 149 positive, 42 mixed, 1 negative review by the time all was said and done. So something like 77% of reviewers had a positive review.

Obviously, it's early yet, but the early reviews for MEC are 29 positive, 19 mixed. So 60% positive reviews. That's a big drop so far, whether people want to admit it or not.

Still, could end up a cult hit, but I do think it's disingenuous to say that the reception is identical. We'll see once more reviews get in.

SomTervo

Wow. 74 for the original game, and 86 for the enhanced edition re-release. What happened? Did the game change that much? Was it just not part of the zeitgeist and it paid for it?

Dying Light was a 90/100 from the get-go for me. And I consider Dead Island a 50/100. Reviewers were just... Bizarrely harsh on it. The vast majority of us in the OP were like "... What the fuck, this game is great!" Unsure why it took until the enhanced edition for critics to enjoy it - the enhanced edition isn't even that different from the base game. The biggest addition is the expansion which is like 10-15 hours extra gameplay (on top of a pre-existing 30-40 hours).

Mirror's Edge had 149 positive, 42 mixed, 1 negative review by the time all was said and done. So something like 77% of reviewers had a positive review.

Obviously, it's early yet, but the early reviews for MEC are 29 positive, 19 mixed. So 60% positive reviews. That's a big drop so far, whether people want to admit it or not.

It's a good idea to look at it in terms of 'swing' rather than the mean value.

TriAceJP

The original had pretty mixed reviews as well and it's one of my favourite games.

I don't think I will be disappointed.

scitek

Good news! Use the Hola extension for Chrome, change your country to Mexico, and the game is $39.99 on Origin! The digital, standard PC version, anyway.

Don't know how to feel. The open world looks like it'll add to the free running aspect of the game but they've changed so many little aspects seemingly for the worse.

Also, the combat looks atrocious and I enjoyed the combat in the original.

Top Bottom