• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mirror's Edge Catalyst - Review Thread

Menitta

Don't know how to feel. The open world looks like it'll add to the free running aspect of the game but they've changed so many little aspects seemingly for the worse.

Also, the combat looks atrocious and I enjoyed the combat in the original.

The combat is way better than the original. It mixes parkour and combat much better than the original. IMO, and from the 3 hours of the beta.

Alienous

https://youtu.be/Z7qpHflaIvo

Ok I'll admit this doesn't look any better, but hopefully it's been improved since beta. Wtf is with all the enemies, they just sit there and take the beating.

It seems like a combination of bad AI and bad enounter design.

The footage I've seen from the early access livestreams hasn't looked much improved. Enemies staring off into the distance, and just getting kicked into walls. It looks really bad, imo.

Rudiano

Banned
Just finished the story in about 6 hours with a few side missions. Disappointed with it. 6/10. Combat is absolutely terrible and the parkour just doesnt feel that smooth.

Izuna

Banned
I'll finish this if it hits EA Access. From what I've heard it doesn't get even a bit better than the trial.

Wanderer5

Don't know how to feel. The open world looks like it'll add to the free running aspect of the game but they've changed so many little aspects seemingly for the worse.

Also, the combat looks atrocious and I enjoyed the combat in the original.

Eh the combat is better, but it still not good. Human enemies are best when you can simply pass them or knock them aside with enough momentum (but course there still some forced encounters).

Mechazawa

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6ERFR0gHO0

I don't think anyone can say this was good combat.

Man, can you imagine if instead of the combat we have now, they ignored all the whining about "using guns oh no" and made super polished combat encounters with parkour shootouts, Max Payne--esque shootdodging and copious amounts of wallrun shooting ala Titanfall? They could even using the original Mirror's Edge concept as an excuse.

Although, thinking about it, if they just made really deep and kinetic first person melee combat, this all wouldn't be an issue.

Karak

For me it was like this. The original had structure and polish in many places and though lacking in others it was able to direct you to specific places to do cool things.
Open world, absolutely unrealistic level design means that the one thing they want you to do, which is buy into this being a real world with story and characters that you should give a shit about, falls apart the first time you realize that some dude has to parkour to get a fucking sandwich. Or when you deliver an item less than 300 feet away. And it repeats...basically forever. And that's also a gateway for the other stuff to creep in and be noticed easier like the combat.
It allows for you to overstay your welcome and without direction the parts that are weak can be seen at a leisurely pace and become jarring and you have to actively search for the good parts. Its just completely odd to be honest.

Has anyone purchased this game from cdkeys.net and received their key already? I see they have the EU release date posted and I don't want to wait. If that's the case i'll end up buying it from Origin.

Nowise10

Just finished the story in about 6 hours with a few side missions. Disappointed with it. 6/10. Combat is absolutely terrible and the parkour just doesnt feel that smooth.

Did you get a review copy? I purchased it and have EA Access and they still put a limit to the campaign missions I can play in my early access.

Rudiano

Banned
Did you get a review copy? I purchased it and have EA Access and they still put a limit to the campaign missions I can play in my early access.

Got an early copy from a local shop. Played on the PS4 and there was constant frame drops which was noticeable and quite annoying. After playing Uncharted 4 and then this, sad to see the massive difference in visuals. I know this is open world but so was MGS5

Wait, they knew that everyone hated the combat in the first game so they added more combat?

No... the combat in the first game had extremely shitty feeling shooting mechanics. You cannot fire or even pick up guns in Catalyst, it's all melee. But apparently it's still not great.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
No... the combat in the first game had extremely shitty feeling shooting mechanics. You cannot fire or even pick up guns in Catalyst, it's all melee. But apparently it's still not great.
I honestly figured they'd just base the entire game on those DLC platforming puzzles they released later on. Oh well.
This definitely sounds like a wait for a sale game.

Schlorgan

I came to the original years after it came out. I didn't love it but I thought it was a cool risk that I wish I'd been in a position to support when it came out.

Playing the sequel, I find the missions to be challenging and fun, running around and exploring the open world is very relaxing and even on the Xbox One where the presentation is muddiest, I still find myself at times stopping and admiring the scenery. I don't love it, but I think it's a cool risk that I am in a position to support this time around, so I will.

dreamfall

Did anyone's PC CE from Amazon ship? I was hoping that I'd get it by release but still no update. I'm really hyped to jump back in- loved aimlessly running in the ghost city!

mjp2417

Banned
Anyone pre-order from GMG and get their key yet? I don't know if I've ever pre-ordered from them before so I'm not sure if I should expect it tonight by launch

You know it's okay to dislike a game that's more than ten minutes old without having to make some statement about it "aging badly" as a result of that?

The sequel is brand new and also looks shit so I don't see how this is about age. The only reason I myself brought it up is because everyone seems to be looking back at it with rose tinted goggles.

GHG

So they fucked it up by going open world...? Who knew!

I'll get this on sale on the PC at a later date but it's dissapointing to see they fucked this up.

RIP mirrors edge.

Wagram

I don't have any interest in this despite having played the first. Some of the best games i've played have 60s Metacritic scores. I wouldn't throw the towel in completely.

jediyoshi

Wait, they knew that everyone hated the combat in the first game so they added more combat?

I think this assumption only holds up if you imagine the combat is identical. They also knew everyone hated there being usable guns so they removed those.

Man that's... Shorter than the original game.

And yet, probably more to do by virtue of open world mechanics. The comparable feature set at that point to ME1 are the time trials.

nynt9

Anyone pre-order from GMG and get their key yet? I don't know if I've ever pre-ordered from them before so I'm not sure if I should expect it tonight by launch

The source for their key for this game is "authorised distributor" and not actually EA so it might be close to/after release. Whenever their distributors get their keys and send them to GMG and then GMG send them to you.

GHG

As someone who loves the first game, I don't...understand who asked for or wanted the series to go open world?

Nobody. And what's funny is we had people defending that decision in the pre-release threads. Most of those people defending it weren't even fans of the first game and their logic was that by it being open world it might have wider appeal as a result. They told us we only liked the first game so much because of "nostalgia" and that the game in its original state wouldn't hold up today. The great irony is that after these shitty reviews I doubt many of them will even buy it still.

By making it open world they not only alienated most of the fans who really wanted a sequel, but they also made the game worse overall.

Good job EA.

Still going to get this but my plan all along was to wait... Not necessarily to save money though or because of review scores. I'm sort of saving a few 'sci fi' games all until Deus Ex Mankind Divided nears release... I'm doing the same for Invisible, Inc. Just sort of want to play Mirror's Edge, Invisible Inc, Deus Ex all in concession just to sort of enjoy the whole sci-fi theme and mood more.

The review scores are about what I expected though, notably what early impressions said about the open world exploring. Sometimes it's a hit, especially maybe on replays, but otherwise can detract from the focused experience of the original. So I'm all good with that.

Not true. This series was begging for it.

Open worlds are first and foremost about traversal. Mirror's Edge, more than anything else, is about traversal through the rooftops and alleyways on a cyberpunk metropolis. An open world takes that idea and runs with it. You can still have well designed linear runs placed within a non-linear open city environment, and the missions in this seem to work that way.

And the open world doesn't seem to be the issue here. In fact, in the reviews I've read that open world is one of the game's saving graces.

nynt9

Bullshit, this series was begging for it.

Open worlds are first and foremost about traversal. Mirror's Edge is about traversal through the rooftops and alleyways on a cyberpunk metropolis.

And the open world doesn't seem to be the issue here. In fact, in the reviews I've read that open world is one of the game's saving graces.

Open worlds are quantity over quality. The reason I (and many others) loved ME so much was because of the tight level design and how that played with the mechanics. Open level design a la Dishonored, sure. But pure open world design is a net negative for people who loved ME because of how singular of an experience it was.

Open worlds are quantity over quality.
They certainly don't have to be, especially, once again, when the game is all about traversal. Her movement across the city's rooftops is what makes the game tick.

Its a natural fit, but that doesn't mean the ball can't get dropped. But again, its the missions and the combat focus that seems to have the most misgivings in the reviews I've checked out, with the open world offered up as a way for the player to focus on time trials and the pure fun of that movement set. The worst things I've read about the open world is that its unnecessary. Thats better than a focus on bad combat and a finicky mag-rope that you get as the missions progress.

RSB

Banned
The first one had no characters or storyline. You can unlock all of the movement upgrades in just over an hour. I'm not excusing these as positives, simply saying that it's a negligible difference. The first game shined in time trials and learning the intricacies of the movement and finding new paths. From my time with the sequel that will remain true. Everyone that was hoping for a markedly different game will be disappointed, but I for one have loved what I played so far.
Yep. From what I played in the beta, it's obvious the awesome parkour gameplay is still there, so even if it's lacking in other aspects, I know I'll still have lots of fun with the game. I probably won't like it as much as the first, but considering the original Mirror's Edge is one of my favorite games of all time, I think that's fine.

nynt9

They certainly don't have to be, especially, once again, when the game is all about traversal. Her movement across the city's rooftops is what makes the game tick.

Its a natural fit, but that doesn't mean the ball can't get dropped. But again, its the missions and the combat focus that seems to have the most misgivings in the reviews I've checked out, with the open world offered up as a way for the player to focus on time trials and the pure fun of that movement set. The worst things I've read about the open world is that its unnecessary. Thats better than a focus on bad combat and a finicky mag-rope that you get as the missions progress.

This goes back exactly to my previous comment in this very thread:

I think it depends on what one liked/disliked about the first. If you thought "I love these mechanics just give me an open world to collect shit in and do time trials" then this is exactly what you wanted from a sequel to the first. If you thought "I love these mechanics and the tight design of the game, but I wish combat was just not even in the mix and I hope the sequel doesn't dilute the focus by adding open world padding" then this sequel is probably not what you wanted.

Top Bottom