• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mirror's Edge Catalyst - Review Thread

DNAbro

After the Beta I went from wanting the game, to pass. Really disappointed about that too, first one was a joy.

If this weren't an open-world game, I'd probably be fine with these scores.

Considering I have plenty of other options when it comes to that space, I think I can safely pass on this one, unless GAF impressions are extremely positive.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Going to have to dig into some of these reviews as I'm actually a bit surprised at the "lower" scores.

If you link a review score, don't do that goofy Metacritic and change the review score. Post it as /5, /10 or however the site chooses to do it.

CHC

Sounds mediocre, as I expected. Like the first, interesting gameplay and art direction, mostly poor on all other fronts.

Man EA really needs a big hit on their hands. Its been a long time since they've put out a kind of "essential" hit. Arguably Battlefield 4, if not Mass Effect before that.

Make no mistake I don't think they make bad games.... it just feels like nothing they've done recently has received universal enthusiasm / acclaim.

Carl

Eh. I loved the original so much, played it a massive amount and even got the Platinum trophy which was so much fun and hard work.

Nothing i have seen of this interests me in the least.

Izuna

Banned
First one was a nice introduction into a new sub genre. This one ended up being more of the same, which is disappointing whether you're a fan or not.

Imagine a Mirror's Edge game with cool ideas and aesthetic but dreadfully boring narrative/game design

Anihawk, this is your GOAT right

Trago

It looks like the addition of an open world didn't do much to help the game overall. Honestly, I would have preferred the layout of the first game where everything was broken up into levels.

Still, good on Dice for trying to expand the the concept to make it work as an open world, I'll still pick this up.

KingBroly

Banned
Well they didn't know Mirrors Edge was good before gamers told them it was.

I'm going to disagree with that. It was a pretty stiff game. If you didn't do what the game wanted you to do, levels could take ages. Gunplay was A-BYS-MAL,

KORNdoggy

another mixed bag, much like the first game...i'll do as i did with the first. i'll buy it when it's £20 down the road i think.

GRaider81

The original came From out of nowhere so forgive us for expecting this to be Epic. If it doesn't live up to your standards and it appears to be falling to pieces don't Be aggressive.

Its just we care a lot and everything's ruined.

Motherf***er

Vinc

Well this breaks my heart.

My copy has already shipped and I'll keep it, I want to encourage them to make more of these games.

But wow, I really believed.

DR2K

Banned
I'm going to disagree with that. It was a pretty stiff game. If you didn't do what the game wanted you to do, levels could take ages. Gunplay was A-BYS-MAL,

It's a game that took skill and rewarded it. It was the best platformer I've ever played.

What gunplay? ;)

GeeTeeCee

The original came From out of nowhere so forgive us for expecting this to be Epic. If it doesn't live up to your standards and it appears to be falling to pieces don't Be aggressive.

Its just we care a lot and everything's ruined.

Motherf***er

I get it.

Can't decide whether I'm buying the game right away, though...

cameron

The Guardian - 3/5
"Faith is restored to a visually striking world she deserves in the return of the first-person parkour title – but, as with the original, niggles stop it achieving greatness"

thumb

Banned
Still excited. The original shined on repeated play throughs, not the hurried runs made by reviewers to meet deadlines. It also had a paper thin story.

NotLiquid

God dammit EA. You had a chance and you blew it.

Seems very reminiscent of the original, just without the charm.

Which is how I feel after playing the Origin Access trial.

The point about charm is interesting. I don't know what it is but I think that's a bit of an issue I've had with Catalyst since it's
re-reveal. It feels like it's gotten super ahead of itself in terms of it's entire narrative/scope when the first one was a pretty simple and pure game about a person surviving in a world that's bigger than themselves. Maybe those shitty flash cutscenes really did give it some more personality.

Mirror's Edge one of my all time favorites, mixed reviews didn't stop me the first time and it's not going to stop me this time! Day one baby!

A-V-B

So I guess my original prediction came true.

A game that can't find a solid footing between courageous prestige project and AAA, and becomes an interesting but middling venture that will never make enough bank to nab a sequel.

Still gonna play, though. Faith deserves her last send off.

Protome

Wait, did people actually expect this to get more positive reviews?
I loved the first one but come on, it's an inherently niche thing and was always going to get middling reviews.

Definitely picking up that CE when the prices drop though.

Top Bottom