• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mirror's Edge Catalyst - Review Thread

Sounds mediocre, as I expected. Like the first, interesting gameplay and art direction, mostly poor on all other fronts.

Man EA really needs a big hit on their hands. Its been a long time since they've put out a kind of "essential" hit. Arguably Battlefield 4, if not Mass Effect before that.

Make no mistake I don't think they make bad games.... it just feels like nothing they've done recently has received universal enthusiasm / acclaim.

To be honest, I prefer them making kind of unique games for different audiences rather than generic boring AAA to cater to everyone and not paying so much attention to metacritic.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Mirror's Edge one of my all time favorites, mixed reviews didn't stop me the first time and it's not going to stop me this time! Day one baby!

Considering this will be the last ever we'll get to see of Faith and this world...fuck yeah.

FFS DICE (and EA).

Oh well, my copy still arrives on Thursday, I'm sure I'll still enjoy it provided they haven't killed the gameplay or made a super boring Ubisoft-esque open world.

Carl

I'm going to disagree with that. It was a pretty stiff game. If you didn't do what the game wanted you to do, levels could take ages. Gunplay was A-BYS-MAL,

Any level in any game takes ages if you don't do what it wants you to?

Also, you weren't supposed to use guns in ME. Playing without using guns was the best way to play

More of the same is fine by me, it's exactly what I wanted.

I think a lot of the reviewers going in on the graphics tho should consider that this is a 60fps OPEN WORLD title. Like... what else is doing that on consoles?

I guess Insomniac was right about 30fps. :/

Wish EA would have let a different team do the sequel. I not even sure how Dice are considered their top team. They don't make good SP campaigns. And with Battlefront and BF4 technical issues I wouldn't even call them a good developer. I knew making it an open world game was gonna be a mistake and the reviews seem to single that out along with the shitty story. I'll wait for the bargain bin this time around to experience the couple good platforming sequences buried in the game.

Vire

"On top of that, muddy-looking console versions and a lame story filled with unlikable characters doom Mirror’s Edge’s return to fall short. I was so happy this game was being made, but in the end I’m just as disappointed in how it turned out." - IGN

:(

Pretty much my summation after playing the beta.

Shredderi

I never thought that they would do another one. Seems like they failed to really improve it in a way that would make it a critical hit. I really enjoyed the original BUT I bought it for under 5$. Looking at the footage and reading the reviews this game has no chance at making me buy it for 60$. I fear this mindset will be shared by many others, ensuring that there will be no Mirror's Edge 3. Well, I say "fear" but if they can't get it just right then maybe it's not a bad thing to move on.

The game doesn't seem bad at all. It just seems kinda mediocre with stellar visuals. That would make it better than most games already but with so many stellar games as of late I can't justify buying this for the full price.

I'm not going to lie, I was expecting a more positive response to the game than this. It's reviewing worse than the first game.

I read some of the excerpts. Is the consensus that opting for an open-world setting was a bad move all in all? Kinda reads that way.

Bummer.

scitek

Mirror's Edge one of my all time favorites, mixed reviews didn't stop me the first time and it's not going to stop me this time! Day one baby!

They shouldn't. EA's kept it strikingly faithful to the original as far as movement is concerned. This game was made on the vocal minority that loved that one, and I don't think they're expecting it to sell Battlefield-like numbers in the first place.

EDIT: Like in the first game, the best parts of this one are traversing the world on your own, and the time trials and whatnot are the real reason to play it. That's just not enough for the vast majority of people, but fans should enjoy it.

Mman235

Hope we get reviews/impressions from veterans of the original soon. As expected most of the reviews talk about stuff I don't care about at all as long as the base platforming is anywhere near as deep as the original. My impression from what I got to play of the trial was positive in that regard, but I'd like some confirmation that it holds up (or improves) over the whole game.

I think a lot of the reviewers going in on the graphics tho should consider that this is a 60fps OPEN WORLD title. Like... what else is doing that on consoles?

Nah, Insomniac wasn't. Honestly, this game's largest problem has more to do with both DICE & EA's inexperience with the open-world genre. I played the closed beta extensively, and I came away feeling like the entire experience was hollow. The traversal & platforming mechanics were great, but the open-world was poorly realized & empty. The game could also use way better writing & characterization - DICE isn't known for their SP capabilities, but when you have a game where anchoring the player in SP elements is a requirement, these shortcomings stand out even more.

I'd have given the game a 6.5/10, personally.

Reviews seem fine to me. Parkour in a pretty open world is all I wanted, and it looks like that's what I will get.

Hopefully it won't take too long to go on sale, though.

Kyne

everyone has that one game that they'll buy no matter what the reviews say based on nostalgia.

this is that game for me.

I have faith.

"On top of that, muddy-looking console versions and a lame story filled with unlikable characters doom Mirror’s Edge’s return to fall short. I was so happy this game was being made, but in the end I’m just as disappointed in how it turned out." - IGN

:(

Pretty much my summation after playing the beta.

The bolded is painful to read for an uber-fan of the first game. I'll still play the game at some point this year and judge for myself, but yeah, it seems like this'll be a disappointment.

Trago

From what I gather, the open world, seemingly pointless upgrade system, and crumby combat bog the experience down, but they've got movement to a tee.

I guess this really could have worked better as a game simply broken up into levels like the first game. It probably could have worked in the game's benefit as the developers would have just spent more time making exciting levels than filler side quest missions.

A-V-B

I'm not going to lie, I was expecting a more positive response to the game than this. It's reviewing worse than the first game.

I read some of the excerpts. Is the consensus that opting for an open-world setting was a bad move all in all? Kinda reads that way.

I think that may be the slow consensus. That running is fun, but if the world lacks flavor due to having to build so much landscape to traverse...

Ugh

So many of these complaints are EXACTLY why it didn't need to be open world

First game was so good

Pissed, but a crappy imitation of the first game is still better than nothing

Is soundtrack as good?

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
So people are going apeshit over the 7's it's getting? Dat metacritic scale huh?

So it won't be GOTY but it'll probably still be a good game if you like that sort of thing (I don't, myself, but come on guys, some of those reactions are laughable).

The horror!

review-guidelines-2.png

Nah, Insomniac wasn't. Honestly, this game's largest problem has more to do with both DICE & EA's inexperience with the open-world genre. I played the closed beta extensively, and I came away feeling like the entire experience was hollow. The traversal & platforming mechanics were great, but the open-world was poorly realized & empty. The game could also use way better writing & characterization - DICE isn't known for their SP capabilities, but when you have a game where anchoring the player in SP elements is a requirement, these shortcomings stand out even more.

I'd have given the game a 6.5/10, personally.
I really enjoyed the beta tbh. Story was trash but I wanted nice parkour and I got it :p
At this point we may as well consider it part of the ME formula haha.
And I'd argue the MGS formula too after MGS4's terrible wedding ending.
Thanks for reminding me :p My god that ending just went on and on and on :/

CHC

To be honest, I prefer them making kind of unique games for different audiences rather than generic boring AAA to cater to everyone and not paying so much attention to metacritic.

I mean I'm glad they do projects like this in principle, but when they turn out to be mediocre then it's kind of a wash. I think their games lately have been mostly competent and effective, but it's been a long time since EA really delivered something above and beyond expectations.

Isn't mgsv open world and 60?

Any chance of a level editor again? It was fun using America's Army to get access to the UE3 tools then just messing around. Being given some snap map or portal 2 like editor would at least let fans make more levels and challenges. Anyways, Keeping the pre-order. Oh wow you can make your own time trails well at least we have that.

I was expecting middling reviews, so no surprises there. I loved the first one, and really enjoyed the beta so I'm still picking this up tomorrow. They got the movement right and that's the reason I loved the first, so more of the same in an open world sounds good to me.

Durante

The staples of Mirror’s Edge remain refreshing and unique in the first-person genre in 2016, but Catalyst’s attempts to keep up with the open-world Joneses don’t always jive with its design strengths of movement and momentum.
I find this concerning since it's basically the one thing I dreaded ever since reading about the open world ambitions of the sequel.

I think that may be the slow consensus. That running is fun, but if the world lacks flavor due to having to build so much landscape to traverse...

I can definitely see open world ruining Mirror's Edge for me the same way open world ruined Burnout.

Top Bottom