• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Miyazaki considering Dark Souls 3 to be the "big closure on the series"

De_Legend

Banned
If Verendus is right, From has a 3 games contract with Sony and 2 of them are Bloodborne's related, the third one is unknown.

III-V

I really hope they find a way to continue this line. I truly believe they have created a niche genre with the souls/BB series.

Ending at 3 is ideal. The eventual collectors edition would be massive-

Dark Souls: Artorias of the Abyss
Dark Souls 2: Scholar of the First Sin
Dark Souls 3: Something Something

Still, I hope Sony can persuade them for one more dark fantasy exclusive (+dlcs) to top off their own trilogy:

Demon's Souls Remake: World of the Beasts
Bloodborne: The Old Hunters
Something Something: Something Something

That would be great

I think its time they try something fresh. Totally feeling some Souls fatigue the last year with DS2 and Bloodorne so close to each other and DS3 on the way.

That being said FROM was all over the place quality wise before they struck gold with Demons Souls. Something new from them isnt a sure bet but I think they should take the shot.

This is good, DS, DS 1/2 and BB have burnt me out since collectively, I've clocked at least 1,000 hours into the series.

I'm ready to let go. Hell, I was ready to let go after BB.

Can't wait for the next idea from Miyazaki but do hope in the distant future they give a game in the same vein as a dark souls game.

Novocaine

I hope it ends in a trilogy, or, at least give it a few years to settle down and come back with a new game. DS3 is going to make the third game in 3 years and even though I can always go for more I don't even want to risk burnout on this series.

I think this is more about escaping from Bandai Namco. Not for any of the dumb reasons I've seen posted but strictly a business decision. Bandai Namco likely has a claim on the publishing rights for Dark Souls outside of Japan and it's probably easier for From/Kadokawa to just reboot the series with a new name. The reason I think the From/NB relationship is strained is based on the release date for DS3 in Japan being so much earlier than the global one. Seems like an odd change unless From was trying to exert control.

We're definitely getting more Souls games. From just opened a new studio with all the money these games are bringing in, they can't afford to drop them.

I don't think they have to end this series, or this type of game, there is just too much money in it for them.

Just space those games out. There should be 2 years between every new Souls game, including stuff like Bloodborne.

There just have been too many Souls games since DeS' success. The series is about to lose what made it standout. Bloodborne felt like a retreat of other Souls games in many ways.

spliced

I really have no idea what this means and Miyazaki purposely keeps people in the dark so I don't know what to expect. They took a break from Souls and made BB so their next game may be the same way where it uses a lot of the same ideas in a different setting.

sense

So all that talk about a bloodborne 2 was moot?
lol no, if verendus is to be believed. this topic is just the end of the dark souls series.

I think we will see a different ps4 exclusive revival/new ip before bloodborne so there is a good break after dark souls 3 for these type of games

They're doing the right thing. We don't know what they're capable of making if they keep locking themselves into one type of game. It may seem unlikely to some, but they could potentially make something even greater than Dark Souls some day. They can always revisit the genre a few years down the road when everyone is starved for a new entry.

valouris

Lore-wise it makes sense to have a game to end this story-
cycle
arc, and I would love to see it. I don't think this means the end of souls-type games for ever, but definitely for the "Dark Souls" series. At least for now.

120v

"Souls" games aren't going anywhere... whether it's in the form of BB, DS, or cyberpunk H.R. Giger Souls or whatever other things people are throwing around. it's just a winning formula that won't go away, sort of like how Bethesda struck gold with Morrowind and their future games will always follow that template. that isn't to say From won't expand onto other things though

as for Dark Souls, it has a very rich lore and it's a cash cow (relatively speaking) so I would say the chances of that brand being retired for good are pretty slim. usually when a hit series gets its third iteration or so they always say 'yeah i think we're pretty much done here' but that's rarely the case. though i do buy that the next game will be a bookend and Dark Souls won't be revisited for a couple of years at the very least

Im ok about this not every series needs to go on forever, developers and publishers need to not be so scared to end a series even if its really successful.

DMiz

That's a good thing from FROM's end, although I'm curious to know who owns the brand and IP. Does Namco? Or do they just have exclusive publishing rights?

If Namco owns the IP, I can definitely see them attempting to find someone to keep making the games. It'd be risking backlash from the community and it would undeniably run the risk of having people not even attempt to try the title if they knew that FROM was not at the helm, but that wouldn't necessarily stop them from trying.

Top Bottom