• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MK Player disqualified from tournament, for having a 'pop' at the devs

cormack12

Gold Member
Source: https://kotaku.com/mortal-kombat-player-disqualified-from-tournament-for-c-1846089002

During an official Mortal Kombat 11 Pro Kompetition tournament on January 16, finalist Titaniumtigerzz was disqualified after jokingly calling out developer NetherRealm Studios by labeling his Sheeva variation—a personalized moveset that displays a custom name to opponents—as “WhyDidNRSdoThis.” The variation name, Titaniumtigerzz told Kotaku, was supposed to be a very mild criticism of Sheeva’s strengths.

“It was meant to be funny since the character I was using is basically extremely easy,” Titaniumtigerzz explained to me via DM. “The joke was, ‘Why would they make such an easy character?’”

Sheeva has been a hot topic in competitive Mortal Kombat 11 lately due to her Dragon Drop stomp attack. Titaniumtigerzz says that the move, which is unblockable, can be used in just about any situation to put Sheeva in a more favorable position. It’s become such a problem that top players have dedicated entire videos to explaining how to beat out this one attack.

Titaniumtigerzz and his opponent weren’t told about the disqualification immediately and continued playing their set off-stream for a few minutes. After being notified, he was allegedly left in the dark as to why he had been disqualified and wasn’t given a chance to rectify or challenge the situation. Titaniumtigerzz says that a tournament moderator has since told him the decision had to do with his variation name.

“They banned me in the very first match where I used the name,” Titaniumtigerzz said. “No opportunity [to change the name] was given and no one reached out to me. I’d have changed it instantly if I had been given the option.”

Barakov

Kobe Bryant GIF

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I always felt that way about Sheeva because she’s been able to do that move since the beginning. I just accepted it though. I never acted like it was the developers fault. Maybe they thought he was being a bit of an entitled smart ass?

SSfox

Wtf. I love nrs and what they do in general, but I couldn't imagine something like this from them, this is honestly retard. If they're sensitive they shouldn't put option to name variation or just tell the dude to change it, and he isn't even insulting just make joke/fun of them. Kinda lowtier wack reaction from nrs.

So what was this guy sponsored or on a contract with them or are they just really that sensitive to criticism? Might say he fucked up but they sure as hell fucked up worse by banning him bringing attention to a flaw in their game that we wouldnt have other wise known. Now im left with the impression that MK11 is a fucking joke when it comes to esports.

Last edited:

Aranea

NRS is the same studio that recently denied a company to create a Jade MK 9 statue, even though the company making the MK statues has the license and been doing that for years when it comes to MK statues.

NRS is way too sensitive these days.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Ehh I’m okay with it .. people think they can just do anything with no consequences. “ it was just a ...”

it’s not your game, you are not entitled to anything, learn basic manners.

Mabdia

Woke Kombat turned to be Snow flake Kombat?

Poor sensitive Nether Realm.

That's why they don't get my money after MK9.

Certainly not getting banned for something completely unoffensive, I would guess.
They are definitely stupid, if that was the thought process lol. Sometimes I feel like people go off of what should happen, instead of what will likely happen. It's like leaving a bag/purse in the front seat of your car. Should you be able to? Sure.

We all know what's going to happen if you do though.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
First step: put more clothes on the girls, so is not sexism, even thou the man can be half naked
Second step: ban because Pro players of any joke with character development whatsoever

CeeJay

If people want to the esports scene to be taken more seriously then both sides need to act more professionally. The player s being a dick but it was equally as much a dick move from nrs. Outcome, they both lose.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I don't follow MK and have no idea how long this overpowered attack has been going on for, but arent devs the ones who are big supporters of patches? Bug fixes, stability, re-balancing etc....

So patch the move.

What's so hard?

Pejo

So they made an entire series of like 15+ games about bloody dismemberment, murder, etc, and he draws the line at a non-offensive dig at the devs for an unblockable move? I don't give a rat's ass about e-sports but whoever kicked this dude out is a giant coward and a prima donna.

Gold_Loot

This is the first MK I never bought. Sad to see such a breakthrough of a series go down the woke/safe space rabbit hole.

Glad I didn’t support this shit.

Do stupid shit, get stupid shit done to you. What did they think would happen?
You must be really good at being in abusive relationships. Did you even read what the player said? I don't think it was stupid or even offensive to the company. NR is being incredibly oversensitive here and this will backfire on them as it should. Let's not blame the player here. Let's support him for being unfairly punished.

Top Bottom