• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMORPG.com gets sneak peek at Everquest Next at E3. Calls it best of show.

salromano

MMORPG.com said:
Best of Show: Everquest Next

Say what? You thought this one wasn’t at E3? Well, really... it wasn’t in any official capacity. But we were treated to an early look at what SOE has planned for the game’s unveiling in August and we were quite simply blown away by every little detail we saw. This is going to sound like a cop-out, but we can't say why we are choosing EQN as our Best of Show because we've been sworn to secrecy until the big debut in August. What we can say is that we saw grand plans for the world's largest sandbox and it was more than enough to stand head and shoulders above any game we saw at E3. When Sony pulls back the curtain later this summer, you will not be disappointed. EverQuest Next is this year's E3 Best of Show, and in just a couple months you'll all understand why. We promise.

friz898

Thanks. I can't access the site on this work filter to fix it up like you did. I read it this morning however and figured I'd pass the link on.

Varg

Banned
Everquest online adventures was my videogame crack back in the day. If they bring this new one to ps4 too ill be there day fucking one.

Everquest online adventures was my videogame crack back in the day. If they bring this new one to ps4 too ill be there day fucking one.

SOE's got two other pretty big games launching on PS4, I think Everquest Next is pretty much guaranteed for a cross-platform release.

ReaperXL7

Pumped, cant wait to see whats coming for EQ next, and if its really looking that good then sign me up. All this F2P love coming to PS4 is kind of exciting.

I'm not sure I've got much reason to put faith in this site's opinions, but I'm not going to lie, this has me intrigued. I really hope this delivers.

EQ2 was ok in some respects, but it was fundamentally a major disappointment. A fresh sandbox would be just what is needed in the genre right now, and I believe they stated some time ago that we can expect PS4 releases of all their forthcoming MMO projects.

Paznos

I've been waiting for this for so long I can't wait for them to finally show it and since PS2 and DCUO are both coming to the PS4 I'm sure this will too.

Sophia

I am hoping and praying that this is the best of Everquest 1 and Everquest 2 with the production values to rival or exceed Guild Wars 2.

Everquest 2 was so good until they started going crazy with the nickel and diming....

ReaperXL7

Unveiling at gamescom? Could be big if it ends up on PS4 Day 1.
SOE has their own event in Vegas called SOE Live, so it will be shown there.

SOE Live can't come soon enough.

Please be P2P.

They already confirmed all of their projects moving forward would be F2P, so as long as its not pay to win im fine. DCUO does it well, and I have heard Planetside 2 is decent with their model aswell.

Jackl

MMORPG.com calls an MMORPG best in show.

TBH with slim pickings in the MMO market currently that statement doesn't even hold much weight by itself either.

Investors are becoming afraid to touch MMOs after the short-lived nature of those during the last few years. You cannot replicate WoW, and people want something fresh/complete.

Heres to hope that Sony has a brain.

massoluk

Banned
Only hope they can bring back the damn-the-world-is-big feel, if you know what I mean. Sorely lacking in today's MMOs.

A few of the Guild Wars 2 GAFGuild members are really looking forward to this, so I am going to try and see what they show on August 1st and see if it interests me to try it out when it is in beta or it releases.

Never played Everquest before so don't know what to expect.

Jira

SOE Live can't come soon enough.

Please be P2P.

SOE has no P2P games, it will be F2P or B2P. There's less than 10 P2P MMOs in NA and people only give a shit about two of them (WoW and EVE). Launching with a sub is just asking to go F2P since the market has shifted and no one wants to pay a sub for anything other than WoW and EVE. Why do you think 95% of every MMO launched in the past 9 years has dropped their sub model and went F2P/B2P? It's because it increases their revenue by a couple hundred percent over P2P and their userbase by A LOT more. The most recent example of this was Tera, it had less than 100k people when it went F2P and the other day reported over 2 million users and no doubt a siginificant boost in revenue due to more players who could spend money. Rift just went F2P on the 12th after 2 years of being P2P because the market demanded it, Trion wasn't stupid and changed their model to fit with where the market is headed.

In regards to the game I have very high hopes as we need a damn sandbox that isn't in space. If I can build a house somewhere out in the woods I'll be sold. By the way the unveiling is on Aug 1st at SOE Live. Here's a untextured screen of a model for EQN:

BMGTBESCQAExg_A.jpg:large

Wallach

I have a feeling they're doing something pretty interesting with EQN. Looking forward to their August reveal, the genre could really use something fresh right now.

It's going to be f2p.

As someone that spent almost 2 full years of in game elapsed time played on Everquest 1, the next EQ being f2p kills off every bit of hype I have had for the game since it was first revealed.

That's 3 series I hold in super high regard that f2p has completely ruined in sequels now if that ends up being true, talk about a let down. PSO2 and PS2 were bad enough.

Well if they are wanting to go back to the roots of Everquest as building blocks for this game then that already has me excited. Really, I said it in the PS4 thread, but if this game supports first person like old EQ, I'd absolutely LOVE to buy an Occulus Rift for it. Just imagine actually being able to see Freeport as if you were really there.

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
Here's an old, but interesting article from 2012 that anyone interested in EQ Next and what SoE is planning to do with the game should read: http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/10/20/soe-live-2012-john-smedley-on-eq-next-and-soes-future/

You mentioned last night that EQ Next will look like nothing we've ever seen. Will EQ Next still have the familiar feel to it that EQ fans are used to? How do you strike the balance between innovation and still staying true to the franchise?

MMO means something now, and it means the same thing to everybody because it's the same game. EverQuest, WoW, SWTOR all use the same core loot gameplay, which is kill stuff, get reward, get loot, level up. Very few games have broken out of that mold. One or two have. EVE Online is a great example; it's not standard level-based gameplay, although I'm not saying we're going to a big skill-based system. You're still going to recognize the roleplaying game heritage in it. In EverQuest Next, the world itself is a part of the game. What is the world in these other games? It's a simple backdrop. It's nothing. We are changing that greatly. We're changing what AI is in these games to a degree that we're going to bring life to the world. That to us is the essence of the change that we're making.

At GDC last week, you also talked about how quickly traditional MMO content is consumed and how that plays into your decision to adopt a philosophy toward emergent gameplay. The question comes up about how that affects the future of raid content -- something that takes a lot of time to design and is usually played by only a portion of the community. What are your thoughts on that?

This is a very interesting question. I think it's at the core of why what we're doing is sustainable. I'll go right to the heart of the matter. You get to the point where we make an expansion, and when I say we, I mean the entire MMO community. You make your expansion, the real hardcore players consume it in a month, and they're doing the raids over and over and over until the next round of live content that we put in. Typically, three or four times a year, we as MMO companies put new endgame in there to keep the raiders happy.

We absolutely need to build that style of content into every game we make because players want that. We're not talking about the end of raids, the end of this incredibly high-level content. We're talking about changing the nature of the world around it so that there's a lot more to do "in between" expansions. A good example, but a very narrow example, is battlegrounds in WoW or EQII, where players get bored doing it over and over again. But imagine the entire world as part of the interaction. Imagine seasons changing. Imagine if you're a Druid and you need to literally seek out reagents for your spells or worship your deity in a glade somewhere off in the wilderness, but you don't know where. Or image forests growing back after they're burned to the ground by invading forces. What we want is a dynamic world that gives all those other possibilities and doesn't just say OK, go to raid X with group composition of X, Y, Z, and kill the dragon for the 52nd time to get the tier 800 gear. It's this rinse-and-repeat gameplay that's got to change, and so we're changing it.

Skelter

Banned
I'm loving the new direction SOE is heading to with sandbox like features making a return. Hopefully Everquest doesn't disappoint.

KKRT00

I'm excited for this. SOE CEO is big EVE fan and player. They've already said that it will be big sandbox with player driven content, which is exactly what we need.

What do you think the combat will be like? Something new?

Probably like Guild Wars 2.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything

Jarnet87

My ready is body for August 1st reveal. My major concerns are with all talk of it being the biggest sanbox MMO, will there be less of an emphasis on PvE content, and will it have the old EQ feel where you actually had to group and work together to accomplish things. They've talked about wanting it to be more like EQ1, will they pull it off.

Iadien

We have very little information about the game, and ZERO information about combat. They will be revealing everything at SoE Live.

As someone that spent almost 2 full years of in game elapsed time played on Everquest 1, the next EQ being f2p kills off every bit of hype I have had for the game since it was first revealed.

That's 3 series I hold in super high regard that f2p has completely ruined in sequels now if that ends up being true, talk about a let down. PSO2 and PS2 were bad enough.

Bad idea. You have a sour taste in your mouth for F2P based on titles converting to F2P. EQ Next has been designed from the ground up with F2P in mind. It's not the same thing as games converting to F2P at all.

But, if you think Planetside 2 has a poor F2P model, then F2P games aren't for you, I would say. Move along. =p

Jira

The business model of a game does not instantly dictate its quality. The most played games in the world (LoL, WoT, DoTA2) are all F2P and of very high quality. There are right ways to do F2P and wrong ways so it's up to the developer to not screw it up. Obviously that isn't to say SOE is guaranteed to get it right, but their entire company is riding on EQN so they kinda have to. In all honesty it's not hard to make a good cash shop considering all you have to do is offer cosmetics, convenience items, and account services.

Iadien

Don't think "sandbox" will attract that many people this gen honestly, but since it's F2P it'll be worth a try.

F2P plus the name Everquest will attract plenty of people, SoE Doesn't need anywhere near 10 million people to be a success.

The business model of a game does not instantly dictate its quality. The most played games in the world (LoL, WoT, DoTA2) are all F2P and of very high quality. There are right ways to do F2P and wrong ways so it's up to the developer to not screw it up. Obviously that isn't to say SOE is guaranteed to get it right, but their entire company is riding on EQN so they kinda have to. In all honesty it's not hard to make a good cash shop considering all you have to do is offer cosmetics, convenience items, and account services.

Well, I'm not sure SoE has given any indication they know how to do F2P right is my only concern.

But, everything else about this project has sounded right where I want it, so I'm willing to give a little.

Besides, after WoW, I'll never presume that a P2P community is superior to anything ever again.

Probably just the category of "sour grapes" so I will absolutely admit... take this with a grain of salt... but while I was interviewing for the EQN writing team I was pretty regularly surprised by how quickly interesting/creative ideas from several individuals were shot down, in favor of very, very "typical" tropes. Its all I can speak to, but as an enthusiast, I didn't feel terribly impressed.

It does dictate its quality in my eyes, even if people think there are "good enough" examples of f2p out there not a single one of them has been up to an adequate level for my standards.

You previously brought up that all these games are going f2p from sub for a reason, and that reason is that all of them have been bad enough to not compel people to pay the monthly sub for them which just means the games need to be better. I will never condone praying on this weird consumer mindset that has developed in recent years that just because you don't initially have to pay a fee to play that you are getting a good deal.

You either end up paying far more money for the same amount of content as you would have been getting with a sub or you end up playing a bare bones version of a game where your time would be better spent on some other game.

I don't like the philosophy behind it, I don't like a game being developed with pinching every bit of money out of the consumer as possible with the same kinds of content that would otherwise be in the game in mind and I don't like the lack of support that ends up cropping up further down the line during the games lifespan in most cases.

Having to fight for your player bases money every month only leads to a better overall product and there hasn't been a game so far that has made me feel otherwise.

And that's exactly what they do for PlanetSide2. They have a good track record with F2P models so I expect them not to screw it up.

Top Bottom