• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 delayed until summer in Japan

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
On almost unrelated news, it seems Valhalla Knights 3 for Vita is getting delayed too, at least looking at Hokanko. XD

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
I love how this news suddenly became more relevant to SS/Vita lol.

It's also interesting that Capcom's publicly cited reason is to improve quality. After Biohazard 6, I think they realize the kind of damage that can be done if a game in a series is reviewed very badly.
Yeah, "respond to expectations" sounds weird. Did fans express any negative feedback after any public showing or is this a general "quality improvement" statement? I could be taking an iffy translation too literally too lol.

Someone was just here the other day 'almost wishing' MH4 was coming out later so he could spend more time on 3HD.... LOOK WHAT YOU'VE DONE!

Ratrat

I love how this news suddenly became more relevant to SS/Vita lol.

Yeah, "respond to expectations" sounds weird. Did fans express any negative feedback after any public showing or is this a general "quality improvement" statement? I could be taking an iffy translation too literally too lol.
Well, there's the atrocious graphics for one.

Peru

The graphics are generally great, but if you want to you could read it as "we're fixing the shady ground textures".

What it actually sounds like is the usual "people expect it to be the greatest so we'll work on it until it's done" line, as in more tweaking is necessary.

Styles

I know this is a little bit off-topic but, does Capcom have any plans to release Monster Hunter Portable 3rd for the PS family(that includes the HD remaster for the PS3) outside of Japan?

crinale

To coincide with a 3DSi?

I was thinking the same thing...
Considering that MH3G is (and MH4 will be) running on Nintendo's servers,
there's no way that Nintendo never new this was coming.

My guess is that it is actually Nintendo that has asked Capcom to delay it.

Carl

Really good news for SS. Hope Sony takes the opportunity to promote the shit out of it.

Big demo + dual pack for the game is a good start.

Summer?

Might as well delay it to December for super explosive sales.

I also bet that they want to squeeze more out of MH3G overseas and through the Wii U and Best Price 3DS versions. Makes sense, honestly.
Pretty much this. I really hope that they're making a WiiU version as well to complement the 3DS version. I am extremely hyped for the 3G WiiU-3DS cross play functionality.

Soul Sacrifice: :)
God Eater 2: WTF MAN

Also, Soul Sacrifice won't be some mega-hit that saves the Vita. I just hope it's really good.

denshuu

Capcom would make a PS3 port of a 3DS game before they went with a Vita version.

EX Troopers and Monhun 4 localizations, let's go.

wat

There's always reasons to make new versions of things. XL isn't shorthand for ultimate final form just because it happened to be the last DS model.

It'll most likely replacee the og 3DS then, I don't think XL will get a bigger or better model, unless they added oled, and we know Nintendo won't.

Effect

The game does look iffy in 2D I thought it was suppose to look great once the 3D was turn on as the environments and backgrounds were designed for it. I think that can be seen in the video below. That and screens of hand held games in general look horrible when blown up for magazines and websites.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikFFT-8n3wc

The game looks just fine to me graphically. I hope this ends up with a worldwide release. If not it just makes the wait for a english localization that much longer. :(

crinale

Provided that MH3G looks beautiful on 3DS (even better if you actually turn 3D OFF), MH4 graphics are comparably unimpressive.

17IP0.jpg

The above is directly taken from Famitsu site and the pic is supposedly provided by Capcom. At the first glance I couldn't even tell what was going on in that pic.

200K sales should be the ceiling for it. 100-150k should be realistic expectations.

I'd say ceiling is more like 250K. But close enough.

It really is Vita's last hope, given that there are no other major exclusives announced for the Japanese market (or any other market, at least in sales terms) and that I expect something like a 4:1 ratio (if not higher) for most JP PSP/Vita and PS3/Vita multiplatform releases.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Provided that MH3G looks beautiful on 3DS (even better if you actually turn 3D OFF), MH4 graphics are comparably unimpressive.

17IP0.jpg

The above is directly taken from Famitsu site and the pic is supposedly provided by Capcom. At the first glance I couldn't even tell what was going on in that pic.
It's taken from a flash video and is upscaled to boot... I agree that area isn't at all great looking with the direction they took but using that kind of media as an argument is silly since the game looks as crisp as any 3DS game regardless of the quality of the textures and what not. And imo the game has great looking moments too. Here are comparable normal images.

monster_img_02_02.jpg

monster_img_06_05.jpg

Whether you still find it ugly or not you can tell what it is. But generally I have no idea why they chose to do all these webs and foliage and other stuff in this way, it's ugly and a bad idea regardless of the system specs. The gameplay hopefully makes up for it, they're clearly made all boxy for the monsters to climb on/under/through them and then slapped transparent textures on.

17IP0.jpg

Are you really taking a screen shot from a video o_O a bad one at that?

crinale

It's taken from a flash video... I agree that area isn't great looking with the direction they took but using that kind of media as an argument is silly and the game has great looking moments too.

I agree that there are other areas that look great. But something I noticed is ground texture is so..plane that ruins the complete scenic.
Again, taking how well Capcom handled 3DS at MH3G into account it's hard to imagine they overlook this at MH4. I'm guessing they already have MH4HD built, and MH4 is watered down version of it. Simultaneous release perhaps?

Top Bottom