• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 delayed until summer in Japan

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
As someone who has played very little of (and disliked) Monster Hunter games, can someone tell me why MH is so much more popular compared to games like Gods Eater or Ragnarok Odyssey or etc? Besides obvious reasons like it's a longer running series, what does the actual game offer that others in the genre don't?

Soul Sacrifice looks a little different I guess, but still quite similar. The only game I'm excited for that fits kind of with these games is PSO2. Maybe MH alone is boring but MH online is fun? That might make sense for me, as the only MH experience I've enjoyed has been Peace Walker HD.

Peru

^ The design - monsters are gorgeous and fascinating creatures - their behaviour, the complex and dynamic battles (the endless combinations of weapons and tools and strategies used to take down the same monster), etc.

I agree that there are other areas that look great. But something I noticed is ground texture is so..plane that ruins the complete scenic.
Again, taking how well Capcom handled 3DS at MH3G into account it's hard to imagine they overlook this at MH4. I'm guessing they already have MH4HD built, and MH4 is watered down version of it. Simultaneous release perhaps?

That's a crazy theory with nothing to support it.

The game is, graphically, more advanced than 3G. It keeps that game's advances (shadowing), improves animation further and gives us much more varied, detailed and dynamic scenery. The ground textures have taken a hit and it would perhaps be preferable to have them just go with simpler but cleaner ground textures, but to say the game looks tame compared to 3G is ignoring the many nuances of reality.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I don't get why they don't just make smaller textures that tile more if the problem is system ram due to all the new climbing animations they've had to add (though they've taken out swimming anyway) and the more complex ground geometry given all the jumping and elevation additions. I'd far prefer more obvious tiling over a stretched blur. Plus it doesn't make for good screenshots and that's why the positive changes aren't evident to most who compare it to Tri, especially if they don't play MH.

Mondriaan

As someone who has played very little of (and disliked) Monster Hunter games, can someone tell me why MH is so much more popular compared to games like Gods Eater or Ragnarok Odyssey or etc? Besides obvious reasons like it's a longer running series, what does the actual game offer that others in the genre don't?

IIRC the numbers for the first portable MH games are similar to the numbers for Gods Eater and RO. Why would you discount reasons like it's a longer running series?

crinale

Soul Sacrifice looks a little different I guess, but still quite similar. The only game I'm excited for that fits kind of with these games is PSO2. Maybe MH alone is boring but MH online is fun? That might make sense for me, as the only MH experience I've enjoyed has been Peace Walker HD.

The reason it has flourished in Japan is that it did fit right into the high school kids, who don't play console-based online games much but rather gather up with PSP in their hands.

Remember the Monster Hunter started as PS2 title that you have to pay subscription to play, and "portable" version was supposed to be gimped version. It never got THAT popular on consoles (200K-400K-ish lifetime sales).

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
IIRC the numbers for the first portable MH games are similar to the numbers for Gods Eater and RO. Why would you discount reasons like it's a longer running series?

Well not really discounting it, just was wondering if there was something that different about the game itself since I can't judge.

The reason it has flourished in Japan is that it did fit right into the high school kids, who don't play console-based online games much but rather gather up with PSP in their hands.

Remember the Monster Hunter started as PS2 title that you have to pay subscription to play, and "portable" version was supposed to be gimped version. It never got THAT popular on consoles (200K-400K-ish lifetime sales).

Ah, I wasn't aware.

KAL2006

Banned
Vita saved in Japan with Q1-Q2 onslaught

Soul Sacrifice
Dead or Alive 5 (+touching boobs mini games)
Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 Plus
Muramasa Saumurai
Tales of Hearts R
Senran Kagura
Demon Gaze
Phantasy Star Online
God Eater 2

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Soul Sacrifice
Muramasa Saumurai
Tales of Hearts R
Senran Kagura
Demon Gaze
Phantasy Star Online
God Eater 2
What does all this have to do with MonHun4? Be more obvious.

Also, there's like 3 games at best there that will do good numbers. The rest will do ok for themselves maybe being niche games that will sell tens of thousands of copies at best but will do nothing for Vita at large.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake

Soul Sacrifice
Muramasa Saumurai
Tales of Hearts R
Senran Kagura
Demon Gaze
Phantasy Star Online
God Eater 2

lol yeah, sure. Maybe you're serious

about the delay...it's obvious they still haven't finished squeezing every possible yen out of MH3. Postponed release should build unimaginable hype

another reason could be they were not going to have enough consoles in stock. Dragon Quest is going to cause shortages for weeks, probably, so it was a wise decision

They delayed MH4 to give MH4 HD 8 player rooms. Believe.
More likely they wanted to add more compelling ground textures.

whatever they do to improve that is worth the wait lol

Soul Sacrifice
Muramasa Saumurai
Tales of Hearts R
Senran Kagura
Demon Gaze
Phantasy Star Online
God Eater 2

Vita fans are awesome, they give me hope for my Wii U excuses in the future

disco

Soul Sacrifice
Muramasa Saumurai
Tales of Hearts R
Senran Kagura
Demon Gaze
Phantasy Star Online
God Eater 2

Don't forget One Piece Warriors 2 and Jump Superstars Vita.

Soul Sacrifice
Muramasa Saumurai
Tales of Hearts R
Senran Kagura
Demon Gaze
Phantasy Star Online
God Eater 2

Old ports on WiiU are embarassing, but even older ports are an ,,onslaught'' on Vita. Good to know.

KAL2006

Banned
If it wasn't obvious that post was a joke. The only way Vita can do anything is if it gets Monster Hunter, Dragon Quest and etc

If it wasn't obvious that post was a joke. The only way Vita can do anything is if it gets Monster Hunter, Dragon Quest and etc

Monster Hunter and DQ aren't magic bullets that will save any platform. Problem with Vita isn't necessarily that it doesn't have those games, but that it has little else besides though two games.

MH4 will outsell all of those combined.

It's funny because it's true. So will DQVIIR

Monster Hunter and DQ aren't magic bullets that will save any platform. Problem with Vita isn't necessarily that it doesn't have those games, but that it has little else besides though two games.

Vita has plenty of other problems besides lack of games, but had DQVIIR and MH4 been vita exclusive instead of 3DS, vita sales would have gotten a huge boost based on the announcement alone and more games would follow since those two games would build up a big userbase. Not the best analogy, but it would be the west equivalent of GTAV and CODMW4 being WiiU exclusive and never being announced for PS3/360. That would be guaranteed huge sales for the WiiU but it wouldn't fix other fundamental issues that the system has.

crinale

The news was so shocking that people don't get the jokes.. j/k

But seriously, this is becoming like biggest game-related news of the month in Japan now.
What's worrying the main audience (high school kids they are) is when the actually "Summer" is. The original release date was just before the spring break so kids can enjoy ganging up and enjoy MonHun all day. Now they are hoping for the July release, which is another period right before summer break starts.

Maedhros

The game does look iffy in 2D I thought it was suppose to look great once the 3D was turn on as the environments and backgrounds were designed for it. I think that can be seen in the video below. That and screens of hand held games in general look horrible when blown up for magazines and websites.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikFFT-8n3wc

The game looks just fine to me graphically. I hope this ends up with a worldwide release. If not it just makes the wait for a english localization that much longer. :(

Looks fugly as fuck.

fates

Wonder if this has to do with the online infrastructure.

I think the game looks fine as it is, especially in motion.

Top Bottom