• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4G - Info & Import-Thread - The biggest Monster Hunter ever

also

Banned
My biggest beef with the 3DS version was the controls (while functionally slightly better than PSP) since they are a step down from Tri on Wii and Unite/P3rd on Vita

Its hard to go back to slider/touchpad after you play comfortably with a standard control set.

Its gets worse when you factor in the Underwater segments on 3 Ultimate. Stack on the lack of online play, voice chat, cross region, off tv play, and HD visuals... Its easy to prefer the WiiU version

Most of this is addressed in 4U with the New 3DS.

Still my favorite setup thus far has been playing Portable 3rd on PPSSPP with a Dualshock 4. Its godlike.

Here's hoping they still dabble their toes into the console space from time to time. Even if its WiiU only
Not to go off topic too much but while 3DS's slide pad is not as good as a proper analog stick, it's still way better than Vita's tiny stick with no grip and range.
I played Unite on Vita and the camera control is definitely worse than 3U; ''the lock on'' is simply much more useful than a dual analog stick and the only time you'll have problems is when facing 2 monsters in a single area or hunting a certain monster that's hard to lock on. At that rare times you can use the CPP or the touch screen D-pad, though the later is obviously worse than a 2nd analog stick.

Thanks for the answers guys.

I'm well in the middle of other games right now (mainly Smash) but I now know to strongly consider the Wii U version of 3 Ultimate if I decide to jump into the series prior to the launch of 4 Ultimate.

What sucks about 3U on Wii U is the lower frame rate, input lag and it seems like the game sometimes doesn't register your button presses, especially underwater.

I've just gotten a LAN adapter and tried playing the 3DS version online through Wii U and I think I'll stick to that. Though everything seems so blurry after all those hours in the Wii U version...

So I picked up my Monster Hunter 4G Limited Edition *New* Nintendo 3DS LL this morning from FedEx. Also ordered a charging cradle, 32GB microSD and got a free LL/XL carrying case from PlayAsia (for ordering a system).

Haven't fired up the system just yet, so no impressions just yet. Have it charging before I do a system transfer in a little while from my old LL

082.jpg

085.jpg

087.jpg

Pretty packaging is always nice:
093.jpg

094.jpg

095.jpg

097.jpg

The MH4G n3DSLL:
098.jpg

100.jpg

101.jpg

102.jpg

103.jpg

Stylus/Insides:
109.jpg

111.jpg

112.jpg

Comparison next to original 3DS LL:
106.jpg

108.jpg

105.jpg

Charging Cradle:
088.jpg

113.jpg

117.jpg

118.jpg

Not to go off topic too much but while 3DS's slide pad is not as good as a proper analog stick, it's still way better than Vita's tiny stick with no grip and range.
I played Unite on Vita and the camera control is definitely worse than 3U; ''the lock on'' is simply much more useful than a dual analog stick and the only time you'll have problems is when facing 2 monsters in a single area or hunting a certain monster that's hard to lock on. At that rare times you can use the CPP or the touch screen D-pad, though the later is obviously worse than a 2nd analog stick.

What sucks about 3U on Wii U is the lower frame rate, input lag and it seems like the game sometimes doesn't register your button presses, especially underwater.

I've just gotten a LAN adapter and tried playing the 3DS version online through Wii U and I think I'll stick to that. Though everything seems so blurry after all those hours in the Wii U version...

Going to have to fundamentally disagree here. I have put in tons of hours replaying Unite and P3rd on Vita and its just feels so much better. Having a popped up analog stick as opposed to pushing down on a slide pad.... Im sorry but I cant ever say that its superior. The same bad control that PSP suffered continues on 3DS.

Granted it doesn't have the new lock on and the camera control is based on the digital setup but I wont fault an old PSP game for that.

Its still plays fantastic compared to the alternative. I will commend 3U's use of the lock on which is a lifesaver. It will work even better in 4U now that Underwater combat is out

Garou

Back on topic: The 1.1-update is out and adds DLC-functionality through the eShop. A special free item-pack to help new hunters will be out for one month, but the interface suggests that we will have paid DLC in the future in addition to the free DLC through the regular menu.

H1dJIdI.jpg

Any guesses what will be sold? Cosmetic items? Hard to get monster parts? The episode-quests featuring the old characters?

I think hunting games have a lot of potential for 'good' DLC. But... No way in hell capcom has the good natured will to do that for us. Still hoping for extra mission packs, character customizations, etc.

So I picked up my Monster Hunter 4G Limited Edition *New* Nintendo 3DS LL this morning from FedEx. Also ordered a charging cradle, 32GB microSD and got a free LL/XL carrying case from PlayAsia (for ordering a system).

Haven't fired up the system just yet, so no impressions just yet. Have it charging before I do a system transfer in a little while from my old LL

HOLY SHIT.

That finish looks incredible!!

I'm gonna go cry in a corner now because I know this'll never come out in NA

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
HOLY SHIT.

That finish looks incredible!!

I'm gonna go cry in a corner now because I know this'll never come out in NA

i have it and truthfully it looks gaudy as fuck. metal and fur does not jive well at all from a design aspect.

they should have gone with a more neutral design that allows for both genders to not mind owning.

Vuze

Back on topic: The 1.1-update is out and adds DLC-functionality through the eShop. A special free item-pack to help new hunters will be out for one month, but the interface suggests that we will have paid DLC in the future in addition to the free DLC through the regular menu.

H1dJIdI.jpg

Any guesses what will be sold? Cosmetic items? Hard to get monster parts? The episode-quests featuring the old characters?

My bet is on item care packages like the free one but more expansive. I'd tolerate that as long as it doesn't impact the way and probability of getting these items outside of microtransactions. I highly doubt they will sell monster parts, that would be ridiculous and nullify the main aspect of the game lol.

Additional monsters? Maybe, but probably not. Not sure how their pipeline for this looks - I mean you'd need to include items, weapons, armor etc. It certainly wouldn't be a bad thing if reasonably priced and if it's not content that has been cut from the actual game.

Mission packs? Eh, time to figure out custom quests for this like back in the PSP days haha

Garou

H1dJIdI.jpg

(Quoting myself here)
So I got around to download the update and item-pack just now and looked for the descriptions of the categories and message-boxes.
Episode-quests have their own button, which is not connected to the eShop, so those will most likely be free.
The eShop-DLC menu says, that you can but items in the shop and they will show up in your item-box or your status-page. So my guess is, they will actually just sell item-packs (potions, traps, bugs, minerals, etc.) and gold/points to lessen the grind for people not in the mood for it. Equipment (armor/weapons) is technically also in the item-box, but the menus usually differenciate between those two, so as of now I doubt there will be any of those.

Ew.

I'm ok with new quests, maps, monsters, equips... but items? Console players are not stupid, Capcom.

Square Enix tried this with Bravely Default and it didn't work.

The good news is, those exist as well and are free!

No they dont man

Every single downloadable quest in teh MH series ever has always been on the disc

What you download is essentially code that remixes whatever on disc assets already exist. Armors and weapons are just skins.

Hence why they are free.

Garou

No they dont man

Every single downloadable quest in teh MH series ever has always been on the disc

What you download is essentially code that remixes whatever on disc assets already exist. Armors and weapons are just skins.

Hence why they are free.

I know that, but what difference does it make? Capcom releases something, I see a short download-bar and can play it then. Why should I care if that was already there or not? Especially if it's free.

Well its just how this breaks the mold

As of now it only seems to be a microtransaction model

I really do hope TRUE DLC is a thing though. Could be cool to see new areas and monsters put in after the fact for the first time ever

No they dont man

Hence why they are free.

That's false
in MHTri only the Jhen Mohran was on the disc. All the rest was temporarily downloaded to the console's RAM upon connecting to the server.
MH3U similarly downloads DLC quests and stores them permanently to the SD card (3DS) or the console's memory (Wii U).

Garou

Finally reached G2. Now to farm the rest of mats for the Sergios set!

In a similar way, got to G3 today. And this is the end for my old high-rank set, anything higher would instant-murder me, so next stop: Diablos, Desire for Hard-horns and hopefully a full DiablosX within not too many hunts.

That's false
in MHTri only the Jhen Mohran was on the disc. All the rest was temporarily downloaded to the console's RAM upon connecting to the server.
MH3U similarly downloads DLC quests and stores them permanently to the SD card (3DS) or the console's memory (Wii U).

And none of the DLC added fundamental asset addition or changes to the game

Im not talking technicalities. I am saying that the MH series is built complete and they tend not to add big assets like New monster/areas etc.. like would see in traditional DLC where they actually created new expansive content.

This is known and MH4G might be the first game to break that mold.

i have it and truthfully it looks gaudy as fuck. metal and fur does not jive well at all from a design aspect.

they should have gone with a more neutral design that allows for both genders to not mind owning.

As a girl, I find nothing wrong with it. Having seen up close product pictures of the system from TGS was what further cemented my decision to get the LE in the first place. But, as they say, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. And this beholder finds her shiny new toy beautiful as all hell.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I put in about 20 hours in the original Monster Hunter 4 before getting sidetracked.

I just got a New 3DS LL and am considering picking this up, but will I even really notice anything? I know there are a ton of new stages and monsters and, particularly, high-level quests, but were there any major quality of life improvements to this game over the original Monster Hunter 4? Any performance benefits to playing on a New 3DS, for example?

Pretty much, I'm trying to determine if there is a good reason to buy this game right now instead of just continuing my old save from Monster Hunter 4.

wheapon

Out of curiosity, does MH4G have any N3DS-specific features or does it perform the same on both the new and old 3DS?

NewGame

Banned
Out of curiosity, does MH4G have any N3DS-specific features or does it perform the same on both the new and old 3DS?

Miiverse not available during play for the OLD 3DS.

Performance wise I hear everything loads faster and the frame rate is more stable.

wheapon

Miiverse not available during play for the OLD 3DS.

Performance wise I hear everything loads faster and the frame rate is more stable.

Nice! I can't wait for this to come out in the west. Not sure if I'm going to trade in my Animal Crossing XL for a N3DS XL or just keep both...

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
I'm down for hunting on Friday. Anyone free? Looking to farm Diaboos and Teostra

Parakeetman

So has anyone confirmed graphical updates in 4G when on New 3DS? Textures sure seemed better at least.

looks the same to me. placebo effect lol.

I put in about 20 hours in the original Monster Hunter 4 before getting sidetracked.

I just got a New 3DS LL and am considering picking this up, but will I even really notice anything? I know there are a ton of new stages and monsters and, particularly, high-level quests, but were there any major quality of life improvements to this game over the original Monster Hunter 4? Any performance benefits to playing on a New 3DS, for example?

Pretty much, I'm trying to determine if there is a good reason to buy this game right now instead of just continuing my old save from Monster Hunter 4.

the only reason you need is everyone is playing 4g now.

also this was written in the OP

Q: What are some of the new mechanics and features?
A: New moves for Heavy Bowgun, Dual Blades and Charge Axe. Two new trends for Felynes. New multiplayer-options like unique codes for lobbys to share online so people can directly join, being able to kick other players as lobby-host, auto-chat that you can set to display if you do certain actions like setting a trap/barrel, etc. There is a new permanent item that you can use to buff yourself against monsters that are virus-infected. Other new items like one-time earplug drinks, hot-steam bombs that can cure negative status and others. New Episode-Quests, that will bring back characters like ChaCha & Kayamba and others from previous games.

Mupod

H1dJIdI.jpg

God dammit. I foolishly thought mainline MH was safe from this crap as long as it kept printing money.

Even if it's inconsequential stuff like free potions for now, this is a slippery slope and Capcom has no restraint whatsoever.

roknin

...My intense jealousy knows no bunds right now.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
looks the same to me. placebo effect lol.
Impressions might vary because of that "yellow tint" effect on some (?) of the old 3DSes. I'm 100% sure that the colors look more vivid now in MH, which can be mistaken for a slight graphic upgrade.

Parakeetman

Impressions might vary because of that "yellow tint" effect on some (?) of the old 3DSes. I'm 100% sure that the colors look more vivid now in MH, which can be mistaken for a slight graphic upgrade.

to me mh4 always puked the colors of the rainbow so was vivid in the mind from start lol.

i think its more they replaced some textures but not something as excessive as a major overhaul for just the n3ds.

then again most of the time am too busy playing the game trying not to die rather than worry about what a tree or rock looks like :)

one thing for sure is the fps at non busy times does seem higher than the previous 3ds as do notice it a lot more.

but when it gets busy does return to the expected frameeates which isnt an issue either.

am happy with the new hardware and game overall.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
What about the online mode, guys? Solid? Never played online my 3DS...
Online stability seems the same as in 4, that is quite solid. If the connection is stable you shouldn't encounter any lags or disconnects even during cross-continental play. Even Japan-USA-Europe-Australia parties work fine.

Pila

Online stability seems the same as in 4, that is quite solid. If the connection is stable you shouldn't encounter any lags or disconnects even during cross-continental play. Even Japan-USA-Europe-Australia parties work fine.

But we don't get to play with fellow hunters from JPN, right? At least we don't on 3U, I thought it was going to be the same...

Great news anyway!

Oh, you mean 4 JPN copies played around the world, sorry I'm slow. ^^

Garou

So today was Diablos-hunting. Took ~15 hunts to get the horns.
Start to build the armor.
Notice I need some smaller parts from insects, etc, get those as well.
Build more of the armor.
Notice I need two more parts of the tail...3 more hunts and during those I get two more horns...fuck you desire sensor!! ;)

Zornica

Banned
But we don't get to play with fellow hunters from JPN, right? At least we don't on 3U, I thought it was going to be the same...

Great news anyway!

Oh, you mean 4 JPN copies played around the world, sorry I'm slow. ^^

highly unlikely as the Japanese version is filled with licensed weapons and armour.
they could probably make it work somehow, but why even bother?

Vuze

I've been doing some data digging today and interestingly enough I came across this error message which confirms that there are several DLC armors that can only be obtained if you have the corresponding DLC data installed on your card. It also says that those will be be removed from the equipment box due to the missing DLC. Now what makes this interesting is that unreleased free DLC like Samus, G-Rank USJ outfits and the like have been left untouched - however 84 equipment parts of each class have been removed. This would make for 42 (= gun + blade) or 21 (= gun + blade, gender-dependant) sets.

No idea what's hidden there (yet) but the check would make sense if it's paid DLC armor or armor in general which is linked to the eShop account. Would also go along well with the fact that free DLC armors are not affected by it.

Just thought I'd share - have we heard any official statement on the eShop DLC anyway?

I've been doing some data digging today and interestingly enough I came across this error message which confirms that there are several DLC armors that can only be obtained if you have the corresponding DLC data installed on your card. It also says that those will be be removed from the equipment box due to the missing DLC. Now what makes this interesting is that unreleased free DLC like Samus, G-Rank USJ outfits and the like have been left untouched - however 84 equipment parts of each class have been removed. This would make for 42 (= gun + blade) or 21 (= gun + blade, gender-dependant) sets.

No idea what's hidden there (yet) but the check would make sense if it's paid DLC armor or armor in general which is linked to the eShop account. Would also go along well with the fact that free DLC armors are not affected by it.

Just thought I'd share - have we heard any official statement on the eShop DLC anyway?
I don't think so, but they did announce a set of special quests (featuring Chacha, Kayamba and other returning characters), with more details to be released soon. Many are guessing these quests will not be free.

I think MH5 is going to take a while for many reasons, so it makes sense to release DLC for MH4G.

I'm ready for the Nargacuga Pack.

Tenbatsu

One of the NPC in the game mentioned about
Nana & Lao
, but from what I know they are not in the game. DLC perhaps.

Vuze

One of the NPC in the game mentioned about
Nana & Lao
, but from what I know they are not in the game. DLC perhaps.

Yep, they are not on the cartridge from what I know - it remains to be seen for how much the DLC system allows.

Top Bottom