• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter World (XB1/PS4, PC later, Early 2018) E3 info [Up: Effectively MH5]

spiritfox

All I need to see is what a normal hunt looks like. People are saying it's classic MH and it's great, but who the hell knows for real. And yeah, because Capcom is strangely good at butchering some of their IPs, it's worrisome.

But the lead director being the same as the previous MHs is good news though. Plus last night during that interview someone explained how they are just building up from where they were. It sounds more like renovating than rebuilding, which is cool.

Yeah, I have some misgivings about the changes but I just need to see a hunt to see if it works or not.

More like I had to suffer through those drop rates since the inception of the franchise so I rather have others suffer along with me. But there's a middle ground here without making the game easier.

Just make a Quest type where all drop rates are increased but the trade of is that Monster hit 50% harder, have more HP with an expanded move set and even harder AI. >:D

Drops should be directly tied to breaks, I really have no idea why this isn't already standard. If you break a talon, you get a talon. If you break a horn, you get a horn. 100% drop for everything you break, none of this 50%-70% BS. You can still get some additional RNG-based drops from the corpse, but this would add to both immersion and tactics.

pastrami

I'm still waiting for any info that confirms that drop rates are increased

farming one of many materials in MH just for one piece of armor is abysmal due to the very low drop rates.

Ditto. I enjoy Monster Hunter and this one sounds great, but the grind can be excessive. It's something I hope they address.

Juraash

My biggest disappointment with this thing is that there is apparently no way for my fiance and I to play together. We both have 3DS systems and it was easy to get her playing and help her when she was new. But we don't have 2 PS4s and we certainly don't have two TVs next to each other.

Even if it is essentially a prettier Monster Hunter, losing all the local co-op stuff really blows.

Brofield

I love Monster Hunter. Is one of my favourite IP. And i gonna buy it regardless the system is on. The only bummer with this is that i will have less time to play it because is not on a portable system. So excited!!!

This is pretty much my lament, too. Although the updates do inspire confidence since the 4chan rumours. The fact there are no more zones is truly a blessing, but having no more animations for foraging or consuming potions seems weak.

Please be good, and if it can't I hope they bring XX to the west posthaste

The trailer looked bad but after reading OP, this sounds damn good. This is a HUGE gamble for Capcom and I'm not sure this will catch on in the West like they want it to, but we shall see.

They need to keep the portable version just in case because this won't do well in Japan at all without portability.

Peroroncino

All I need to see is what a normal hunt looks like. People are saying it's classic MH and it's great, but who the hell knows for real. And yeah, because Capcom is strangely good at butchering some of their IPs, it's worrisome.

But the lead director being the same as the previous MHs is good news though. Plus last night during that interview someone explained how they are just building up from where they were. It sounds more like renovating than rebuilding, which is cool.

Yup, I'd really like to see some actual gameplay footage.

Aiustis

My biggest disappointment with this thing is that there is apparently no way for my fiance and I to play together. We both have 3DS systems and it was easy to get her playing and help her when she was new. But we don't have 2 PS4s and we certainly don't have two TVs next to each other.

Even if it is essentially a prettier Monster Hunter, losing all the local co-op stuff really blows.

Same here. I won't be buying it because I play it for local co op.

Ridley327

Tri stretched its smaller monster count with things like forced HR point grinding and extremely horrible drop rates on things like Alatreon Skypiercers. So I expect something similar this time. I'd be surprised if this game's monster count even matches Tri considering the drastic changes they are making.
I do think they should have shown off an entirely new monster as their showcase to make vets feel a bit better. Having Rathalos, a brute wyvern that isn't doing a whole lot that you haven't seen brute wyverns do before and what looks like Royal Ludroth's malnourished cousin as your initial reveals isn't exactly getting the imagination rolling. Hell, even something as simple as a fanged wyvern that isn't Zinogre would have been a great way to establish the new direction.

Also, this is your daily reminder that Zinogre is still the only fanged wyvern in the series.

Dobkeratops

OT Hard Carry
Which monsters everyone hoping would be in this? Here's hoping Brachy, Jinogre, Rajang, Deviljho, and Tiggy are in this.

Fuck boy monsters that I don't want in this: The Khezu ripoff known as Gigginox, Blagonga, Wind gimp Kushala.

Really looking forward to the giant monsters that will be in this.

Tigrex, Narga and Zinogre need to be in. Those are super fun fights with great music themes and excellent monster designs. I also really liked Brachy.

Plessy has to appear. Newcomers to the series shouldn't leave without having their hips checked, it's part of the experience. On that note, Jho is also a perfect addition to throw them off balance mid hunt. Khezu is a classic.

Honestly, it'd be easier to list the ones I don't want back,
ie: Rajang

Additionally, I would not mind at all if we got Lao-Shan (or any other similar elder fight). I understand they're rather scripted and not as fun to replay, but figuring them out without using wikis, reaching the last phase with your team and having
Proof of a Hero come in
is a very memorable moment in your first Monhun.

Kinsei

Banned
Tigrex, Narga and Zinogre need to be in. Those are super fun fights with great music themes and excellent monster designs. I also really liked Brachy.

Plessy has to appear. Newcomers to the series shouldn't leave without having their hips checked, it's part of the experience. On that note, Jho is also a perfect addition to throw them off balance mid hunt. Khezu is a classic.

Additionally, I would not mind at all if we got Lao-Shan (or any other similar elder fight). I understand they're rather scripted and not as fun to replay, but figuring them out without using wikis, reaching the last phase with your team and having
Proof of a Hero come in

If there is a big Lao style elder dragon I have to wonder how the grappling hook will change the approach to the fight. I imagine you'd be swinging all over the monster trying to find weak points.

The open areas could also mean you would actually get a sense of impending doom as you see the town it's headed for slowly approaching as you try to finish the beast off.

jbug617

Banned
I noticed at the end of the trailer Capcom put up that they have PS4 and PS4 Pro but only Xbox One at the end. Are they not going to support Xbox One X too?

Loris146

Proof of a Hero come in

Zinogre is meh in my opinion. I really don't like the "charge" gimmick , too easy to hit him in the head ( damage output is insane with a GS for example).

It's odd cause I feel like the negativity here might have been much less if they had just called this 'Monster Hunter 5'...since that's essentially what it is with perhaps some slightly simplified aspects for newcomers. Maybe they felt they couldn't make it a numbered release cause it would be a slight to Nintendo platforms..who knows.

I'm not an MH vet so I was already in but hearing it's a main game from the main team my hype is really through the roof. I'm hoping it'll run in native 4K locked 30 on the 1X, that might be wishful thinking.

The western casual gamer doesn't know or care about the MH franchise, naming it MH: Subtitle is the correct approach as they are hoping to finally make MH franchise relevant in the west. Naming it MH5 would confuse the casual gamer in the west. They can still name it MH5, or MH5: Subtitle, in Japan.

I am more of a core/casual western gamer in the sense that I follow core gaming news but only play every now and again. And I have no interest in this game besides seeing how it sells in the west and, especially, Japan. I remember trying out a demo for a MH game on PSP some years back and hating myself for it. I think I also played MH Tri on Wii at a friend's house, but I was wasted, so I'm not sure. I remember changing the game quickly and going to other games though.

I noticed at the end of the trailer Capcom put up that they have PS4 and PS4 Pro but only Xbox One at the end. Are they not going to support Xbox One X too?

There is no xbox one X logo right now from what i have seen in trailers

In the ffxv universe trailer it mentions scorpio support but at the end the logos are just PS4 , PS4 PRO & Xbox One

MikeBison

Saw an info dump on a monster hunter group. Came from an interview with Capcom.

Targeting 30fps.
No zones, but still segmented areas. No loading.
All 14 weapons in.
Palicoes are in.
Drop-in/out multiplayer. Send us an sos flare to call for a hunter.
This is the 'mainline' Monster when asked if there would be MH5.
No water zones.
All the old mechanics like sharpness etc are still in.
Can use items while moving.
Can choose a 'mantle' which is like a special item. The one in the demo is the stealth cloak.

silva1991

Ditto. I enjoy Monster Hunter and this one sounds great, but the grind can be excessive. It's something I hope they address.

There's really no reason not to increase drop rates, the only reason they are so low is to artificially drag out playtime.

giphy.gif

Whatever had 5% chance drop in the traditional games, should have at least 20% in MHW
info-onion-head-emoticon.gif

Parfait

Im gonna double dip on this because It's what I've always wanted.

The most important question tough, will there be cats? or the stupid.... whatevers from Monhun 3? Opo opo? I forget their name, I just hated them compared to Felynes.

Im gonna double dip on this because It's what I've always wanted.

The most important question tough, will there be cats? or the stupid.... whatevers from Monhun 3? Opo opo? I forget their name, I just hated them compared to Felynes.

Palicoes are confirmed to return if that's what you're talking about.

DrArchon

Hopefully you at least move more slowly when chugging a potion or some such. Sprinting away from a monster while still healing would make combat trivial.

Dobkeratops

OT Hard Carry
If there is a big Lao style elder dragon I have to wonder how the grappling hook will change the approach to the fight. I imagine you'd be swinging all over the monster trying to find weak points.

The open areas could also mean you would actually get a sense of impending doom as you see the town it's headed for slowly approaching as you try to finish the beast off.

Yup, seamless levels means no more teleporting monster/players via loading screen. That broke the mood/flow of what's meant to be a high stakes battle.

Zinogre is meh in my opinion. I really don't like the "charge" gimmick , too easy to hit him in the head ( damage output is insane with a GS for example).

Well, most monsters aren't hard for MH veterans. From my experiences with people new to the series he can be challenging but not seem unbeatable, a good "gating" monster to have players want to improve.

Regardless, I believe it's still a fun fight with cool music and unique, awesome monster design.

Loris146

Yup, seamless levels means no more teleporting monster/players via loading screen. That broke the mood/flow of what's meant to be a high stakes battle.

Well, most monsters aren't hard for MH veterans. From my experiences with people new to the series he can be challenging but not seem unbeatable, a good "gating" monster to have players want to improve.

Regardless, I believe it's still a fun fight with cool music and unique, awesome monster design.

Yeah the design is really cool :)

Ridley327

Sure, but this is a game with MT Framework on PS4. Hardware constraints gone my ass.

I imagine they picked MT Framework less because of framerates and more because they've been developing the series on MT Framework since 3U, given them a ton of familiarity with its ins and outs as they move to more powerful hardware.

Top Bottom