• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter World (XB1/PS4, PC later, Early 2018) E3 info [Up: Effectively MH5]

Well, on one hand I'm happy that I'll be able to get this on a platform I own, but on the other...

For Japan, don't they need a portable entry to make that MH money that funds the rest of the their games?

They'll keep releasing those in Japan. I don't want to derail this thread into talk about localization and their portable games, though, so let's cut it here.

This could be toggled in Monster Hunter Online.

I assume they took the idea from that game, so hopefully like that one, you can turn them off.

The Cryengine one? Yes, I played that and there's indeed a toggle for damage numbers. I hope that'll be the case.

Brenal

Everything sounded great until the lack of local co-op was revealed, it was one of the main selling points of the franchise, what a bummer.

Santiako

I've put hundreds of hours into 3U, 4U and Generations so I'm ready for a big overhaul. Day 1 and super excited for this!

JP_

Banned

The tweet wasn't confusing -- whoever posted that was confused. PC uses MT Framework, but they wouldn't confirm unlocked framerate for PC.

edit: for new page

There's more screenshots/art:

DCMZpUeV0AAioDi.jpg:orig

DCLns_oVYAAmXI9.jpg:orig

DCLnw23V0AQX1XW.jpg:orig

DCLnzloVoAAKWCZ.jpg:orig

DCLnua9VYAAOKBb.jpg:orig

1013.jpg

195.jpg

205.jpg

225.jpg

236.jpg

DCLgcq1V0AA9H4k.jpg:orig

%E5%A4%A7%E5%89%A3.jpg

The reveal trailer looked solid. The monster designs are great, seeing them with those visuals is really impressive. Never played Monster Hunter (apart from Peace Walker), but I'm really liking what they've shown thus far. Also, the stealth elements looked hilarious. I loved the guy sprinting away from the monster towards the end. If I can talk my friends into getting this on PS4, may be there day one ...but it's still too early to say. Love the cover art though.

JoyConBoy

Banned
Everything sounded great until the lack of local co-op was revealed, it was one of the main selling points of the franchise, what a bummer.

how do you have local co-op on a home console? keep in mind this game requires a full screen to play

Ryuuga

Banned
For someone who never played MH game but played shit ton of Toukiden and Toukiden 2 is it similar? i hear people comparing the two

The gameplay loop is similar in approach, but the production and mechanics set them apart. The combat in particular is more deliberate in MH across all weapons.

Squire

Banned
Some good and a lot of bad in there. It's nice that they've have new assets they'll use for the next 10 years at least.

Still gonna be a definite pass. Super disappointed in their abandonment of local multiplayer.

So, apart from the lack of local MP, what else is included in "lot of bad"?

JimPanzer

as expected. this all sounds fantastic.

my only worry: targeting 30 fps. I thought for sure with these graphics if would be 60fps.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Looking forward to it quite a bit, although I'll miss the portable aspect of the series for meetups.

This being the next mainline game in the series, I wonder how Japan will receive it not being on a handheld. This is probably what I'm more curious about regarding this game.

I also really need this to be cross platform with PS4 and PC, because there is zero chance I'll buy a second PS4 to play with my wife. I guess I might end up owning a second gaming PC by then though..

I really hope mounting is less of a factor in hunts now, and with that the bug staff. I'm certain there will be something broken and easily exploitable though.. thus is the way of Monhan.

nightever

Very weird to say that it's a mainline game but not on a handheld and focused on the west.

I hope it's good but my trust in Capcom is waning. Hopefully everything will be fine.
Mainline title used to launch on console first until MH4, nothing werid here.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
All that info dump sounds very good. I was pretty concerned by the initial reveal/trailer but... this does a lot to assuage my worries.

I just changed my stance to "cautiously optimistic". I hope this ends up being as awesome as it can potentially be.

Stalmaster

Neo Member
I was also kinda worried immediately after that reveal trailer but Capcom's been doing a pretty good job of easing my fears. Apparently we're supposed to be seeing some more gameplay on the 20th? Looking forward to it. Maybe I'll finally force myself to play something other than switchaxe again lol.

JP_

Banned
Very weird to say that it's a mainline game but not on a handheld and focused on the west.

I hope it's good but my trust in Capcom is waning. Hopefully everything will be fine.

Where has capcom specifically said this was focusing on the west?

Just got caught up on all this after being rather concerned by the demo during the conference, if everything in OP is true all my fears are gone, everything sounds great! My main concern was how they didn't really show much standard combat and how exactly the online would work but both of those seem to be in line with the past games so everything here sounds excellent to me!

forrest

formerly nacire
So excited for this, loved it from the jump and the info just keeps making it sound better and better. It's definitely sounding like the monster hunter people have been asking for for a long time now.

Chindogg

Mainline title used to launch on console first until MH4, nothing werid here.

Since they're not localizing Switch, it's very weird. Or this being MT Framework, which ran on Wii no problem, lacking a portable version makes very little sense.

Where has capcom specifically said this was focusing on the west?

This:

They are completely focused on World for the western markets, and Monster Hunter: World is once again confirmed as the next main title in the series.

Looking forward to it quite a bit, although I'll miss the portable aspect of the series for meetups.

This being the next mainline game in the series, I wonder how Japan will receive it not being on a handheld. This is probably what I'm more curious about regarding this game.

I also really need this to be cross platform with PS4 and PC, because there is zero chance I'll buy a second PS4 to play with my wife. I guess I might end up owning a second gaming PC by then though..

I really hope mounting is less of a factor in hunts now, and with that the bug staff. I'm certain there will be something broken and easily exploitable though.. thus is the way of Monhan.

They've said no cross play.

MT Framework
Monster Hunter at 100+ FPS

Pretty much.

Brenal

What like split screen? That would be O-D-D

i know, i know heck i even remember that the franchise was born as an effort to create an online game, but local co-op has been such an important part of the franchise for so long that maybe a compromise could be achived, whatever.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks very much for the recap, OP!
I felt a bit weird after seeing the initial reveal - there was no music, and all scenes seemed strangely picked and pieced together - wasn't sure what to make of it.

But this info is really reassuring. Can't wait to see/hear more!

Hopefully all this compiled info will alleviate some of the doom and gloom and false assumptions about this game.

And yes, this be a mainline title.

Sanctuary

Last MH I played was a Wii remaster on the Wii U. It's about damn time another one was released on a home console, and with updated assets. I don't care how "not" MH this game supposedly is or isn't. It looks fun as hell, and should satisfy my never-to-be-made Dragon's Dogma 2 cravings...for a while.

Top Bottom