• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter World (XB1/PS4, PC later, Early 2018) E3 info [Up: Effectively MH5]

Raide

I think calling it Monster Hunter World is for series safety. If it bombs the bad reception/sales won't affect the numbered title.

I can see them making an official Monster Hunter 5 that's more traditional if this game tanks.

If it's massively successful, I can see a numbered MH game going multiformat.

Hopefully they launch this on Steam. I can see a few mill between the PC, XB and PS4. Which is a few mill more than the series had before. Who knows, it may get people to check out the other titles.

I think calling it Monster Hunter World is for series safety. If it bombs the bad reception/sales won't affect the numbered title.

I can see them making an official Monster Hunter 5 that's more traditional if this game tanks.

World make sense for a new market. It would make zero sense to enter a new market with part 5 while all other parts are scattered over different platforms and regions and none of those are PS4/Xboxone. I think calling it 5 would actually hurt the sales.

Raide

So this is technically five minus the name.

Confirmed multiple times it's basically MH5.

I would be happy if Switch and 3DS get their Generations/Stories/Xxx and have World be the home console versions. Numbers after game titles is overrated. 😃

World make sense for a new market. It would make zero sense to enter a new market with part 5 while all other parts are scattered over different platforms and regions and none of those are PS4/Xboxone. I think calling it 5 would actually hurt the sales.

Potentially calling it 5 might make new people think it's just another MH game. MH World might indicate a fresh direction that is designed to appeal to a wider market. Which seems to be the case!

Oddish1

But why? It was an annoying mechanic. Its not like it will affect top tier players anyway. Most the speedrun vids you see on YT are people blowing themselves up to 10% health and never getting hit so why would they care. It just adds a bit of leniency to new players.

Because there is no skill level between new casual players and expert speedrunners.

Defuser

Oh man I kinda miss the 'stop to drink a potion and flex' mechanic , it kinda add tension to whether is it safe to use it. But then again there is a skill that allows to speed eat to negate it.

Elixist

its all sounding real good. MT framework on pc?

giphy.gif

crinale

Oh man I kinda miss the 'stop to drink a potion and flex' mechanic , it kinda add tension to whether is it safe to use it. But then again there is a skill that allows to speed eat to negate it.
You can felvine bomb yourself to gain invincibility while drinking potions.

AniHawk

i am really impressed that two years in a row capcom has managed to announce a big franchise release with less than a year to go.

next year let's do some other major capcom franchise. we haven't had castlevania in a while.

Because there is no skill level between new casual players and expert speedrunners.

Pretty sure there is. Pros don't get hit, new players do. Theres nothing fun about mid heal a monster bearing down on your face to take away even more health. Taking it to end game monsters where one hit requires 2 mega potions to health with a 10 pot limit and you'll sure as shit notice the skill difference.

Lagunamov

It looked like that and looks very good actually. I think that the only people complaining about this game are the ones that don't like the idea about this series moving to not Nintendo platforms.

Kyoufu

In what way was it that wrong?

Sony paying to keep it off Switch because they're "desperate for Japan" - That would be too expensive and if that was the case, why is there no western Switch release? Dumb.

Dumbed down combat - It's already confirmed to be the combat veteran players know and love.

I can't remember what else was said off the top of my head but that rumour read like a GAFer having a meltdown and needs to stop being referred to with any credibility. All the information in the OP debunks it entirely.

edit: beaten by Night Angel

edit 2: I've always said that rumour was bullshit because I was certain the core team was developing the game after MH4U was complete.

It looked like that and looks very good actually. I think that the only people complaining about this game are the ones that don't like the idea about this series moving to not Nintendo platforms.

I would say a lot of the backlash comes from the fact that Capcom is concentrating on a new Monster Hunter that's both somewhat different and isn't portable, than anything else. The portability and co-op nature of the franchise is what a lot of fans like and the fact that Switch is mostly the only viable portable console is probably irrelevant.

(Also because they announced the XX switch port first so everyone bought that in Japan a month before this was unveiled.)

Raide

Except there are no zones to drink safely now that its one big open space.........wait...is that why they change the mechanic of potion drinking?

Makes sense. Also, you can grappling hook up to heal/sharpen no doubt. Hopefully you climb a tree to heal and the monster goes mental and knocks you down haha.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member

don't care about the platform. but I care about portability ._."

FingerBang

I started out in Tri on the Wii and Ultimate on the Wii-U then onto MH4 on 3DS. Despite its flaws, I love me some MH. Maybe not a diehard fan but I am super happy it's finally migrating to home consoles again. It's a series that really needs fresh blood pumped into it, not just in terms of gameplay changes but a larger community outside of the traditional.

I love the idea of this game but playing on 3DS has always felt like a chore to me. The small screen, the controls, the excessive clunkiness. Some people love it, think it's part of the formula, but it prevented me (and probably others) from fully appreciating the game.
The Wii and Wii U versions were still more of the same. It was definitely a better experience but I felt it was like playing a portable game on a bigger screen. It solved only one of the aforementioned problems.

The idea is great and I believe the series can only benefit from modernity.

Raide

I love the idea of this game but playing on 3DS has always felt like a chore to me. The small screen, the controls, the excessive clunkiness. Some people love it, think it's part of the formula, but it prevented me (and probably others) from fully appreciating the game.
The Wii and Wii U versions were still more of the same. It was definitely a better experience but I felt it was like playing a portable game on a bigger screen. It solved only one of the aforementioned problems.

The idea is great and I believe the series can only benefit from modernity.

Fully agree. I loved the series but controls plus some odd legacy gameplay ideas, made it feel a bit clunky.

Interested to see what controls they use for the new one.

Intel_89

I wonder if the numbers from the west will be enough to balance the inevitable loss in sales in Japan. Either way, I'm going to pick it up as I would pick MH XX if it got localized over here.

They will release this on Switch, the visuals look exactly like could be expected from it and more simplistic than a full fledged current gen game. (It has few polygons, which appears to be a staple on Switch, perhaps because of the low polygon rate in Portable mode, with the GPU at 384MHZ)

They are focusing on XX in Japan for now, and not announcing this on Switch makes a lot of noise in the West to revitalize the saga here. (Any publicity is good publicity)
If this is indeed the next Monster Hunter, it makes zero sense to not release it on the successor system to the most successful system for the saga, and a system that is being a hit in Japan.

At least this is my speculation...

Oddish1

Pretty sure there is. Pros don't get hit, new players do. Theres nothing fun about mid heal a monster bearing down on your face to take away even more health. Taking it to end game monsters where one hit requires 2 mega potions to health with a 10 pot limit and you'll sure as shit notice the skill difference.

You're absolutely right, which is why they shouldn't have the player take any damage from monsters whatsoever, they should just be invincible all the time. There shouldn't even be a health bar at all. After all, new players are just going to get hit and die, and pro players aren't so why should there be any consequences for your actions? After all, there's nothing fun about a monster bearing down on your face to take away health, it's just frustrating. Especially against end game monsters, new players don't want to be frustrated against end game super bosses and pro players are just going to play the exact same way anyway.

Piscus

Everything else Capcom makes comes to everything but Nintendo platforms. For the past seven years, they cultivated an audience for Monster Hunter that they've now abandoned for everyone except that very audience. No one would care if they expanded to include more systems. They stone cold ditched Nintendo though, and that kinda sucks.

eggandI

Banned
The new Dengeki info makes me even more hyped for this. They've addressed pretty much all problems I've had with the MH series. Good shit

FingerBang

They will release this on Switch, the visuals look exactly like could be expected from it and more simplistic than a full fledged current gen game. (It has few polygons, which appears to be a staple on Switch, perhaps because of the low polygon rate in Portable mode, with the GPU at 384MHZ)

They are focusing on XX in Japan for now, and not announcing this on Switch makes a lot of noise in the West to revitalize the saga here. (Any publicity is good publicity)
If this is indeed the next Monster Hunter, it makes zero sense to not release it on the successor system to the most successful system for the saga, and a system that is being a hit in Japan.

At least this is my speculation...

You mean PSVita?

Just trolling

Anyways in one of the interviews they said "At the moment there are no plans to bring it to Switch".

That's different from a "it will never be on Switch", but I guess doesn't mean much at the moment.

Defuser

Frankly I don't think changing the potion flex mechanic will have any sort of impact if the combat system remains the same. Your skill in the combat system determines how much potion you consume regardless of the mechanic. You could say the new mechanic is a double edge sword as although it relieves your frustration,but it can also promote complacency and burned through all your potions quickly if you are not careful.

Everything else Capcom makes comes to everything but Nintendo platforms. For the past seven years, they cultivated an audience for Monster Hunter that they've now abandoned for everyone except that very audience. No one would care if they expanded to include more systems. They stone cold ditched Nintendo though, and that kinda sucks.

I already owned a ps2 when MH1 came out.

I bought a psp when it moved to psp.

I bought a wii when it moved to wii.

I bought a vita when it came out, anticipating more Monster Hunter on Sony portables, because AFTER MHTri came out on wii, MHP3rd still came out on PSP.

BUT THEN

I bought a goddamn 3ds when it moved to 3ds.

Fuck this "THEY ABANDONED NINTENDO" narrative.

If you love this series, you get what it's on, period.

silva1991

Fully agree. I loved the series but controls plus some odd legacy gameplay ideas, made it feel a bit clunky.

Interested to see what controls they use for the new one.

I only played the one on WiiU(and a demo of another game on 3DS) and controlling the character felt like playing a PS2 game. Really hope they vastly modernize the controls in this one.

crinale

I bought a vita when it came out, anticipating more Monster Hunter on Sony portables, because AFTER MHTri came out on wii, MHP3rd still came out on PSP.

BUT THEN

Well said.

Kyoufu

Forgot to mention the 1st pic only* i didnt read the others ( dont know if same leaker), yes he got the open world part wrong so he is 80% right.

"huge internal strife at capcom"

showmethereceipts.gif

---

Anyway, what I'm very curious about is how they'll plan on additional content. Will they go for a G expansion after a year? Or instead will they go for a season pass with content drops every couple of months?

peakish

As a casual MH fan (although even casual means putting probably 100+ hours into this series, I've got around 150 in Tri and 4U combined) this sounds really good to me so far.

• More dynamic environments and monsters fighting each other is something I've wanted from the series since I saw the intro to Tri. I kind of hope that the monsters who spawn are quest dependent, there's something nice about each mission being a self contained challenge. Can't see if this is clarified yet. I assume that's the case?
  • Splitting the world into separate areas but removing zone changes from each area is a good compromise. I'm not the biggest fan of open worlds which put five different climates within a five kilometer distance of each other.
  • Not dropping the many systems of MH is great.
  • I'm skeptical about stealth but can't yet tell how it'll be in practice. Could be cool and if not maybe ignored.
  • Scout flies seems like a bland system but eh, will be a minor complaint at best in the end.
  • Drinking potions on the run I'm neither for nor against. Didn't mind stopping in the previous games, don't mind them removing it if they balance them accordingly. This being the main MH team makes me hopeful for this, they aren't amateurs.
  • Damage numbers I admit is a very personal nitpick for me. Don't like them as a shortcut to knowing where you should hit monsters to do damage. One thing I always liked about MH is how naturalistic the combat of it is in this aspect: monsters get hurt but you're given nothing but visual and audio cues about how your hits are doing or how much life they have left. Learning monster weak spots wasn't always easy (although it was pretty obvious for many monsters thanks to great visual design) but you could if you put in the effort, or cheated and looked at diagrams online (which even then is learning about the game). Putting numbers up front isn't just an ugly visual element, it'll remove this aspect of combat from the game.

I realize that you can turn it off (which is good -- options are always good!), but then you're at a disadvantage compared to those keeping it on which irks me a bit. But like I said, I realize that's a very personal nitpick. So, nitpicking over.

Seems like a nice sequel to me. I'm skeptical about some things but even then mostly curious to see how they'll work in the full game. Already have some friends who will be interested in joining for some hunting, should be great.

Styles

BUT THEN

spilled-coffee.jpg

Dynheart

Banned
You mean PSVita?

Just trolling

Anyways in one of the interviews they said "At the moment there are no plans to bring it to Switch".

That's different from a "it will never be on Switch", but I guess doesn't mean much at the moment.

To make a long explanation short:

In my almost 40 years of gaming, that almost always translates into a nice way of saying (or just dodging the question) that it is not coming to said platform. In modern times, this is almost a nail in the coffin for anything Nintendo related.

Forgot to mention the 1st pic only* i didnt read the others ( dont know if same leaker), yes he got the open world part wrong so he is 80% right.

So you're saying all of the shit that is unprovable is right, too?

Can I get some receipts on "huge internal strife within capcom", since that's also correct according to you?

This sounds pretty damn promising. Assuming the bulk of the combat complexity remains in place this seems like a great step forward for the series.

I played 3U, 4U and Generations on 3DS, I think I'm ready for them to change things up a bit.

Top Bottom