• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

More FFXV details from Famitsu interview.

This gif, I think, is based on my impressions which are nearing a year old.

In a recent interview, Tabata gave the impression that we could now button mash too, so I think that is a change that was implemented after the TGS feedback. I would personally wait for more detail because there's probably a lot more to it all now. For one, it seemed like weapon switching was out based on recent comments, but the article in the OP seems to imply it's back in some shape or form.

Basically, it's probably best to wait a little I think. Some of this stuff is going backwards and forwards which doesn't make sense. I don't know if it's translation issues, or just missing detail.

I'm really glad they are already mentioning that they have taken fan feedback into account.

They've been in 1.4 for a while now, and development doesn't work that predictably anyway.

The later Luminous revisions could have barely any changes, and you wouldn't need that long to get to 2.0 if that's the case.

Oh how I wish game development could be like a mathematical equation :(

Falk

that puzzling face
Master, how did magic work back when you played it?
MDpcAOk.png

Don't do that man, it's weird.
K0PLapK.jpg

s8qj9uo.jpg

I still don't understand the concerns with the battle system, but wtv.

Huge enemies playing like regular enemies gives me a lot of hope for no QTEs (which is easily the best way to fight big guys).

Stingers, parries, weird green robots that hold flags. It's sounding good.

Falk

that puzzling face
You know, Final Fantasy has historically always had a few problems with sense of scale, from the very obvious limitations of the sprite days (castles and buildings being smaller on the outside than the inside), to FF7's Weapons shrinking from massive in FMV to about 4x the size of the characters in combat, and even as recent as XIII/XIII-2 where the relative sizes of Pulse and Cocoon varied widely (Cocoon was 'supposed' to be about 1/4 the diameter of Pulse, but scenes/facading with crystal pillar gave the impression it was much, much smaller)

It's just something that's been a trope for the franchise that has been more and more ill-fitting with the transition to realistic visuals across the last two generations.

I'm skeptical of the claims of how summons will ultimately end up in terms of scale, going from the fights against to when they aid the party, but I'm willing to give it benefit of the doubt for now.

(Not that it ultimately matters since like all past iterations of Final Fantasy suspension of disbelief is such a core part of the experience, but I still maintain this curiosity as to if it'll truly be as the claims are right now)

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
You know, Final Fantasy has historically always had a few problems with sense of scale, from the very obvious limitations of the sprite days (castles and buildings being smaller on the outside than the inside), to FF7's Weapons shrinking from massive in FMV to about 4x the size of the characters in combat, and even as recent as XIII/XIII-2 where the relative sizes of Pulse and Cocoon varied widely (Cocoon was 'supposed' to be about 1/4 the size of Pulse, but scenes/facading with crystal pillar gave the impression it was much, much smaller)

It's just something that's been a trope for the franchise that has been more and more ill-fitting with the transition to realistic visuals across the last two generations.

I'm skeptical of the claims of how summons will ultimately end up in terms of scale, going from the fights against to when they aid the party, but I'm willing to give it benefit of the doubt for now.

Could never figure out that Pulse geography. The characters often spoke like they walked through all of Pulse (in XIII) when it was really just a small part of the planet/land/dimension. It never felt like a proper planet or region. XIII-2's disconnected locations didn't help but made the geography even more abstract.

Probably because he forgot to mention you can mash the button. That seems to be the main concern. I imagine not everyone watches the ATR where they talk about it.
I mean, yeah. But I don't think it's that hard to find people explaining on the internet.

Yeah, the 600 bones part confused me too. I wonder what we're missing....
I think they use bones for stuff like lip/eye movement and whatnot as well. It's the only explanation I could find.

muteki

Maybe it's not bones in the literal sense, but structures that are created to implement animation and movement. Other than their bodies themselves, the clothes, weapons, hair, etc. must move too so I wonder if that is what they mean. ”bones" likely isn't the best translation for it.

Ishida

Banned

I think "bones" in animation also refers to articulations, or any moving part in a character model. This may also include some parts of the clothing.

I think some animator here at GAF could clear this up.

DJIzana

Wow... I'm rather surprised we wouldn't really be able to walk around in the demo and that it was mainly driving previously.

The summon information is great, the ropeway in Restarme would be damn awesome... hope that happens... let alone that this place is basically my tropical resort that I've wanted!

Dungeon / special area info is cool and additional info on combat regarding MP and coop attacks / special coop attacks during summon fights... like that stuff. Lots of mini games...

That's a good chunk of info!

RalchAC

Bones in animation are more like lines you use to move the character's body. So for example, in the face they may have a lot of those "lines" in order to allow good face animations.

Our body may have 206 bones (was that the number dropped before?) but they are probably spending a lot of those "lines" for muscles and all that.

Bones are movable parts in animation, from what I've understood. A face might have tons of bones in animation when that is not the case IRL.

Beaten, hope we aren't 100% likely wrong

DeSolos

Thank you very much. Have been watching recent videos and I was getting worried after seeing the character move around so much without ever jumping, except at like a ledge or something.

Hoping for usage in combat for aerial combos KH style, but at the very least it will be useful when exploring the open world.

What does MP stand for these days? I thought it was Magic/Mana Points but if magic isn't tied to it, and dodging is, then it can't be Magic Points. Maneuver Points? My-special-power Points? Mdodge Points?

Famassu

So are parries basically timed regular attacks hitting enemy attacks or is there some sort of blocking ability used?
There are those kind of timed-attack parries and then there are timed blocks that work against certain attacks that you can perform by pressing the Defense button at the right time.

How do you know this Koutoru?
They confirmed this in one of the post-TGS Active Time Reports.

sn00zer

Im surprised FF doesnt take a book from GTA regarding "talking" to citizens. Just wandering around hearing NPCs chat amongst each other is so much better than generic "crowd mumble" where you have to approach people to get an inconsequential nothing sentence.
Basically, no talking to NPCs outside of important ones and allow NPCs to just talk amongst themselves

Famassu

Hoping for usage in combat for aerial combos KH style, but at the very least it will be useful when exploring the open world.
There are aerial combos. We see aerial combos against Behemoths in one of the Active Time Reports. They are just kind of worthless against the kind of smaller human-sized (or smaller) enemies we've mostly seen Noctis fight against until now.

Despite my desire to have fully controllable party members, the descriptions of the actual gameplay sound great. I hope that its the kind of system where you can really dig in to the fun battle mechanics and get a lot of hours of play out of running around and getting in to fights.

Setsu00

Im surprised FF doesnt take a book from GTA regarding "talking" to citizens. Just wandering around hearing NPCs chat amongst each other is so much better than generic "crowd mumble" where you have to approach people to get an inconsequential nothing sentence.
Basically, no talking to NPCs outside of important ones and allow NPCs to just talk amongst themselves

Isn't that what XIII did?

Top Bottom